Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479171 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1155 on: June 16, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
Not exactly backwards compatibility, though. More like low cost remasters where old discs unlock access. You are not playing your old games and cannot get access unless publishers approve the game.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1156 on: June 17, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
Not exactly backwards compatibility, though. More like low cost remasters where old discs unlock access. You are not playing your old games and cannot get access unless publishers approve the game.
Is that really true? That sounds a little desparate.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1157 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
Kingdom Hearts 3!! I'm stoked. Nearly 10 years of waiting since KH2 (although the series had some great moments in the meantime).

Also, I'm interested to see how unchained "key" turns out.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1158 on: June 17, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »

Offline adace

« Reply #1159 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:17 AM »
Until Dawn looks fantastic. Having just finished Silent Hill 2 for the first time, I'm really into story-driven atmospheric horror games at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH7-DTOh2hs

Also, Arkham Knight comes out next week! :metal
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:31:26 AM by adace »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1160 on: June 17, 2015, 06:26:19 AM »
Is that really true? That sounds a little desparate.

It's still better than what Sony does/is doing. True backwards compatibility would be being able to put a 360 disc in a XBone thirty years from now and have it play without an internet connection.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1161 on: June 17, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
People could just keep their consoles.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1162 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:34 AM »

That's crazy talk. Once you buy a new console, you can't play the old one, just like how when they remake a movie, you can't see the original any more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1163 on: June 17, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »

True. But my PS2 has passed away and so did my original launch model PS3. Granted I replaced the PS3, but now I have a massive library of PS2 games that are not usable. I guess I could just keep buying used PS2s, but I'd rather just be able to put the PS2 discs in my PS4.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1164 on: June 17, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »
They don't make them like they used to. New consoles have such a short life, but the cartridge based systems will outlive the cockroaches.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: June 17, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
Of course you can keep your old console, but it gives people who still enjoy the 360 more of an incentive to upgrade.... assuming your games are compatible.  I think its a good thing that Microsoft is giving in to what people want since everyone wanted that initially.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1166 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
They don't make them like they used to. New consoles have such a short life, but the cartridge based systems will outlive the cockroaches.

Seriously. I feel my original fat Gameboy is going to out live me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1167 on: June 17, 2015, 08:19:59 AM »
If you like old school Square games you will love Bravely Default I promise. If you have a 3DS it's a must play IMO.
I've heard many great things about it, I intend to buy it one of these days.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1168 on: June 17, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
Not sure I agree, I haven't had a single console die on me yet (except when I dropped the original Game Boy on the floor :lol ).

But on the other hand, I take good care of my consoles and games. When my PS2 started making a weird noise, I just opened it up and cleaned it and after that, it worked like new! :)

(Sorry about double-post.)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »

Seriously. I feel my original fat Gameboy is going to out live me.

Well the gameboy might outlive you, but we're to the point now where the batteries in the cartridges used for save files are dead/dying. So you can't save your games anymore. :P

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: June 17, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1171 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
Well the gameboy might outlive you, but we're to the point now where the batteries in the cartridges used for save files are dead/dying. So you can't save your games anymore. :P
You can replace those batteries, people do it all the time. They're just regular watch batteries soldered (or sometimes glued) into place, so if you know or learn how to safely remove the old battery, you can put in a new one. I've never done it myself though.

Offline adace

« Reply #1172 on: June 17, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Just Cause 3 - 11 Minutes of New Gameplay

Just pure fun!  :metal
Yeah. this looks fantastic. December can't come soon enough! :metal

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1173 on: June 19, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
Guys I need to pull the brakes on the FFVII Hype Train.

In a recent interview Nomura said they do not intend to retain the battle system and that there will likely be other changes.

GOD SQUARE WHY DO YOU HATE MONEY AND YOUR FANS SO FUCKING MUCH

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1174 on: June 19, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
I have no strong ties to the battle system in FFVII, so that's fine with me.

When he made his remarks about changes in storytelling, I very much got the impression he was talking about relatively minor changes - better signposting, clearing up things that didn't quite make sense. I could well be wrong, but that was the impression I got. Time will tell. I'm still bloody excited anyway, AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO WILL STOP THAT. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1175 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
Guys I need to pull the brakes on the FFVII Hype Train.

In a recent interview Nomura said they do not intend to retain the battle system and that there will likely be other changes.

GOD SQUARE WHY DO YOU HATE MONEY AND YOUR FANS SO FUCKING MUCH

lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: June 19, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
Nintendo may have finally given me ample reason to buy a Wii U, thanks to Fatal Frame, Super Mario Maker, and of course stuff we knew about before like Wii U Zelda and Pikmin 3.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1177 on: June 19, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »
Nintendo may have finally given me ample reason to buy a Wii U, thanks to Fatal Frame, Super Mario Maker, and of course stuff we knew about before like Wii U Zelda and Pikmin 3.

Even having only a few games, I've had mine for a year and can't complain. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic, New SMBU/Luigi U is really fun, NintendoLand is a great time-killer, and NES Remix is cool for parties if you're a fan of the old NES games. Plus they're starting to add N64 and NDS games to the mix on Virtual Console. Planning on getting the first New SMB soon, and being able to play it on my TV is gonna be awesome! Can't wait for Mario Maker. That's gonna be epic!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1178 on: June 19, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

Even having only a few games, I've had mine for a year and can't complain. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic, New SMBU/Luigi U is really fun, NintendoLand is a great time-killer, and NES Remix is cool for parties if you're a fan of the old NES games. Plus they're starting to add N64 and NDS games to the mix on Virtual Console. Planning on getting the first New SMB soon, and being able to play it on my TV is gonna be awesome! Can't wait for Mario Maker. That's gonna be epic!

If Nintendo announced that they were remaking the N-64 controller with modern hardware, I'd buy a Wii-U tomorrow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: June 19, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »
I have no strong ties to the battle system in FFVII, so that's fine with me.

When he made his remarks about changes in storytelling, I very much got the impression he was talking about relatively minor changes - better signposting, clearing up things that didn't quite make sense. I could well be wrong, but that was the impression I got. Time will tell. I'm still bloody excited anyway, AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO WILL STOP THAT. :P

As long as you still have materia and the same basic plot. Materia is integral to that game and it's narrative.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
That's honestly what I'm most afraid of. Materia were extremely important to the gameplay, especially in that it allowed a great deal of character customization. I really hope that system is not cut or modified in a misguided attempt to 'modernize' the game.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1181 on: June 19, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »

If Nintendo announced that they were remaking the N-64 controller with modern hardware, I'd buy a Wii-U tomorrow.

But you can already use the far superior Gamecube controller...
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1182 on: June 19, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
That's honestly what I'm most afraid of. Materia were extremely important to the gameplay, especially in that it allowed a great deal of character customization. I really hope that system is not cut or modified in a misguided attempt to 'modernize' the game.
It's a remake. Their 2D-3D remakes of the early games all incorporated a variety of story and gameplay modifications. "Putting the brakes on hype" over small comments that should be expected with remakes is a bit much.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1183 on: June 19, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

But you can already use the far superior Gamecube controller...

I prefer the N64 controller, and I'm not just busting balls. I'm not a fan of the Gamecube controller.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: June 19, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
It's a remake. Their 2D-3D remakes of the early games all incorporated a variety of story and gameplay modifications. "Putting the brakes on hype" over small comments that should be expected with remakes is a bit much.  :lol

I don't think it's much, Square Enix (especially on games directed by Tetsuya Nomura) have demonstrated time and time again that they have no goddamn idea what made their older games great. Or rather, they demonstrate that they are far more interested in pandering to their Japanese audience even though the English-speaking one is much much larger.

Like, Japanese people liked FFXIII. More to the point, they liked Lightning Returns.

In other news I've been watching a lot of Game Grumps recently, and after their disappointingly short foray into Secret of Mana (both times) I felt compelled to play it again, so I busted out my Wii...

God, so much dust. Where's a can of compressed air when you need one?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1185 on: June 19, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
I liked Lightning Returns. If it had been branded and presented like the Valkyrie Profile it was, it might have been one of my favorite games in recent years.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
So what you're saying was that it was indeed not a very good Final Fantasy game :lol

I mean amongst my group of friends I'm the Square apologist, I actually like XIII-2 a lot and thought XIII was okay. It used to be that if you saw Square's logo on a box you knew you were in for a treat. Now not so much. IMO Bravely Default is the best game Square has released since, oh, FFX? Or I guess Kingdom Hearts (the first one).

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1187 on: June 19, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
You're criticizing a game they clearly distanced from main line Final Fantasy as a spinoff for not being the Final fantasy you wanted, so what?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: June 19, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
They've done that before and I liked it better. I mean I at least played the demo of Lightning Returns and I really, really did not enjoy.

And I even enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus so clearly I'm pretty willing to eat whatever horseshit Square offers me. The fact is that Nomura stated in plain language that this would not be the game people have been begging for the years. It will not be a Final Fantasy VII, it will be a new game attempting to survive on the goodwill leftover from the original, because despite what anyone tells you the difference between one game and the next is GAMEPLAY.

If you change the GAMEPLAY it is a NEW GAME.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1189 on: June 19, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
why are you complaining? if you want to play the original FFVII, PLAY THE ORIGINAL FFVII  :lol