Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479247 times)

Offline adace

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1015 on: May 15, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
Witcher 3 got the once-in-a-blue-moon 10/10 score from Gamespot.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-review/1900-6416135/

So excited for this game!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1016 on: May 16, 2015, 08:25:44 AM »
Can't wait for my copy!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1017 on: May 17, 2015, 12:23:37 AM »
Finally grabbed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. It's glorious.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1018 on: May 17, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »
Has anyone else played Bloodborne yet? I've been hooked on it for well over a month now… finally going to earn that Platinum trophy later tonight, just need to finish the end of my 3rd play through on New Game ++. I plan on buying Dark Souls II for PS4 afterwards, I can't seem to get enough of this series.  :hat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1019 on: May 18, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1020 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Finished Bioshock Infinite tonight.

My brain hurts now, but damn what a great game!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Aerial Ace

• Glimpsing at other threads
  • Meow
« Reply #1021 on: May 19, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »

Welcome fellow hunter!  :tup

Doom teaser

I'm hopping to the hype train :biggrin:
" Help me live today and help to give me grace to carry out your way "

" I am ready... Help guide me and keep me free "

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1022 on: May 20, 2015, 04:23:37 AM »

Yes, it indeed is. Even if I don`t really play single player mode (I generally almost only play video games with friends), the game really is awesome, even if some of the monsters just annoyed the hell out of me and the G-Rank quests get really unfair at some point (Tigrex & Azure Rathalos at G2  :-[ - Me and my friend failed like 7 times on that quest).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1023 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
Finished Bioshock Infinite tonight.

My brain hurts now, but damn what a great game!
Indeed! I had to replay it other 2 times in order to understand the fucking complex plot, but I'm still unsure about the ending :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1024 on: May 20, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
So Witcher 3, the visuals are pretty damn amazing. I run everything on almost Ultra and get around 30fps. It's a bit overwhelming in the beginning because there's so much to do and learn. Haven't played a Witchers game other than maybe an hour of W2. Once you kind of get the grip of everything it's really fun. I have only played for a couple of hours yet though.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: May 20, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
So Witcher 3, the visuals are pretty damn amazing. I run everything on almost Ultra and get around 30fps. It's a bit overwhelming in the beginning because there's so much to do and learn. Haven't played a Witchers game other than maybe an hour of W2. Once you kind of get the grip of everything it's really fun. I have only played for a couple of hours yet though.

Thoroughly enjoying this game. I played only about 25 hours of Witcher 2 and only made it partway through Chapter 2, but already I'm liking the improvements made to this game.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: May 24, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »

Thoroughly enjoying this game. I played only about 25 hours of Witcher 2 and only made it partway through Chapter 2, but already I'm liking the improvements made to this game.
Have to say the weather effects are simply stunning. I'm enjoying the game more and more. Nothing better than to attack a bandit camp on your horse and chop them to pieces while riding. That brings up a annoying thing though, few things are as annoying then to get stuck between trees or small fences while riding but that's not the worst part about character control,  leave that to the swimming. One of the most clumsy control schemes i've tried in a game.
Still I enjoy the game immensly.

Offline adace

« Reply #1027 on: May 24, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
Planning to trade in a bunch of games for Witcher 3 but so far none of the Gamestops near me have a pre-owned copy in stock :( Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it though.

In other news, I've been playing Rayman Legends and God of War Ascension. Both are fantastic games.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:40 PM »
A few more thoughts. This game is gorgeous. Seeing the entire environment respond to wind and rain is incredibly immersive. Excellent choreography in even the most mundane sidequests makes everything you do feel important. Not to mention the excellent writing and voice acting. 

« Reply #1029 on: May 25, 2015, 05:07:11 AM »
So, I`m actually thinking about buying an old PS2 from a friend of mine and I`m planning to buy Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne and Persona 3 & 4. Do you think it will be worth for these 3 games, I`m not sure about buying one, even if I currently really enjoy SMT IV on my 3DS and I only heard good things about Persona. Would you recommend me buying a PS2 and if so which games would you recommend?

Offline TL

« Reply #1030 on: May 25, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
I don't even usually like JRPGs, and I still thought Persona 4 was fantastic.

It's worth noting that you can get Persona 3 and 4 on PS3 and Vita as well (and I think Nocturne is available on PS3). Obviously it would depend on how the price compares to what you'd be paying for the PS2, but I'd recommend at least giving it a look.

« Reply #1031 on: May 26, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
Oh, I won`t pay much for the PS2. It`s 30$ for a used one online now, so I might get it to 20-25$ with buying it from a friend of mine.
So, a PS3 along with the downloads of the games will be more expensive, since you can buy used PS2 games for 10$ (15$ for P4) each by now and consequently isn`t really worth it for me.

Offline adace

« Reply #1032 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
Just got Witcher 3 for PS4. Game's really good so far but there are a lot of hiccups with the frame rate. Hopefully they'll release the patch soon.

Edit: Looks like they just released it!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:36:03 PM by adace »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1033 on: May 26, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
Just got Witcher 3 for PS4. Game's really good so far but there are a lot of hiccups with the frame rate. Hopefully they'll release the patch soon.

Edit: Looks like they just released it!

Hasn't rolled out in America yet, but in most countries, ya.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #1034 on: May 27, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
Oh, I won`t pay much for the PS2. It`s 30$ for a used one online now, so I might get it to 20-25$ with buying it from a friend of mine.
So, a PS3 along with the downloads of the games will be more expensive, since you can buy used PS2 games for 10$ (15$ for P4) each by now and consequently isn`t really worth it for me.

The PS2 does sound like the way to go in your case then.

You're definitely in for a treat with those games if you haven't played them before (and really, also if you already have). I know I'd love to be able to play Persona 4 for the first time again.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1035 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
Goddamn the Wraiths are annoying, most enemies i've met have so far have been fairly "easy" but whenever I faces 4-6 Wraiths I get my ass kicked. So annoying when your trying to dodge and one teleports behind you and the others attack infront and you end up with 5 Wraiths choping you up. Yrden along with Spectre oil helps though but they're stilla a pain in the ass imo.

Edit: Ok so upgrading your Yrden did the trick.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:40:49 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1036 on: May 27, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
Thinking about playing through Ratchet and Clank after having not played it for a few years, after I heard some people were making a movie.

I remember it being hard and fun as hell. Let's see if I'm still right.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
MrBoom I now know which game I'm going to be playing this weekend.

Have you ever played The Forest?
Yea I played a bit upon release. It definitely has potential but was early stages back then. I plan to revisit sometime in the near future. Do you play it?

Just a bit of a warning, Rust is in alpha so lots of things are missing and some animations are probably just placeholders this early and the worst part is that server wipes will happen on occastion. Our first base got wiped which was a bit annoying because they deployed a performance patch 3 days after the big server wipe.
That's the nature of alpha though.

New stuff pop up weekly and they're very active with the community so things move forward pretty quickly which is nice.

They have made a lot of improvements in The Forest including making it co-op. It's definitely worth a shot if you like the genre.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:02 PM »
If anyone hasn't pre-ordered The Witcher 3 yet, really good discounts for PC/PS4 here: https://www.gamingdragons.com/en/search-witcher-3.html

$38 gets you the game,  Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition (full original game with three expansions), Digital Comics, and Digital Artbook.

In preparation, I just ordered a new video card (Sapphire Radeon R9 290) to go with my upgraded CPU (Intel i5 4690k) from several months ago. My aging Radeon 6950 has been a champ, but I'm going to need a little more "oomph" for these latest releases.

I pre-ordered The Witcher 3 and I've played it for a couple of hours (I wish I had more time). I'm loving it so far and I can't wait to get my hands on it Sunday.

I also have a 290 and the card is a beast, I was coming from a 7770.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: May 28, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »

Same story for me, I have The Witcher 1 but never played it, I have The Witcher 2 but only played an hour or so, can't wait to play more.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1040 on: May 29, 2015, 06:32:31 AM »

Same story for me, I have The Witcher 1 but never played it, I have The Witcher 2 but only played an hour or so, can't wait to play more.
So I just figured out that there's a FPS slider that let's ju cap at either 30 or 60 fps. Now I know why my frames never went over 30 and also that if I put at 60 on max my GPU is seriously starting to sweat. Damn it looks nice though!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1041 on: May 31, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
Just started my first playthrough of System Shock 2. I'm a brute force, run and gun type player so I went all out military but I do kind of wish I had some hacking skills right about now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1042 on: June 01, 2015, 06:36:34 AM »
Rise Of The Tomb Raider - E3 Preview Trailer

Hopefully the next one is more about exploring than shooting bad guys all the time.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
I need to play the last Tomb Raider. I got a free copy in a bundle with my video card a few years back but never played it.

Offline adace

« Reply #1044 on: June 01, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
Rise Of The Tomb Raider - E3 Preview Trailer

Hopefully the next one is more about exploring than shooting bad guys all the time.
Looks really cool! Tomb Raider 2013 is one of my favorite games so I'm gonna pick this one up for sure.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1045 on: June 01, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
I thought Tomb Raider 2013 was a bit short and far too linear, but otherwise it was a good game. If the next one is more open and has some more emphasis on exploration it could be great.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1046 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »
After putting it on hold for a week or so to play Smash, I picked up New Super Mario Bros U again.

I thought that, for the most part, the game was pretty easy. Then I got to the Superstar Road. I consider myself to be above average at platforming games, and these levels are still kicking my ass, though in a good way. I finished the first four levels, and went from 99 lives to about 75 in order to get all three star coins in each. It's pretty difficult, and the level designs are stellar (no pun intended). My favorite so far is the second one, where you have to hit a switch to turn coins into blocks, and continually run to the next switch to hit it before time runs out. Nintendo utilizes this mechanic to its fullest; in order to get all three star coins, you must break one set of blocks and still make it to the next switch in time, make precise jumps at the last possible moment in order to continue, and wait until the blocks revert to jump onto coins, which turn into blocks when time runs out. Nintendo implemented every possible way to use the game mechanic creatively, and it was a success. As much as I loved a good portion of what came before this point, the last few levels have been a good step above them.

This may be the best 2D Mario game I have played. At the very least, I consider it to be equal to Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1047 on: June 01, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »
Yep. NSMBU is fuckin choice.The last bits of the game just brutally kick you in the dick in a way you can appreciate. Do you own New Super Luigi U? If not, I strongly recommend it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1048 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:11 PM »
I was hyped for New Super Luigi U until I actually played it and realized the time limit applied to every level. I'd be fine with that as a gimmick for a few levels, like, one per world, but the game just having challenging levels would have been enough for me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1049 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:36 AM »
Yep. NSMBU is fuckin choice.The last bits of the game just brutally kick you in the dick in a way you can appreciate. Do you own New Super Luigi U? If not, I strongly recommend it.

I do not. I am not sure if I want to buy the downloadable version, or shell out a little more for a physical copy.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.