Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479208 times)

Offline wizard of Thought

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #945 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
I almost wasted my whole day on Mario Kart 8. These new tracks are just extremely awesome and 200ccm just made me ragequit my game right now. I suppose there is still some work to be done here on my side (Nintendo did a great job, as almost always)  ;)

Offline adace

« Reply #946 on: April 23, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »
Got Destiny on PS4 a while ago. My PSN name is adace12 if anyone wants to add me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #947 on: April 23, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/

In other news several large explosions heard in several places around the internet.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #948 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »
For all the old school mortal kombat fans. Here's a fan made, work in progress, remake of the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx292crZnsI

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: April 23, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

In other news several large explosions heard in several places around the internet.

25% cut for the creator seems extremely low, considering Apple and Google pay 70%. Granted, Steam needs to share the revenue with the developer, but I can't imagine why it would warrant such a drastic difference in compensation.

EDIT: Looks like the revenue share is determined by the publisher, which in Skyrim's case is 25%. Still ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:39:11 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Cable

« Reply #950 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOILERS ABOUT MGSV IN LINK AND ITS TITLE

Wow, if this is actually true-

https://www.businessinsider.com/head-transplant-hoax-2015-4

Full disclosure, I hated MGS2, didn't play MGS4, and most likely will not play MGS5. I feel Kojima is too ambitious at times for just one franchise, and crams too many ideas into MG. And I don't personally like his blend of historical events with fiction.

And I doubt the game will live up to this thing if it is. However, this is the most incredible thing I have ever heard for promotion or whatever. And would 100% I feel tie into the game I hate- MGS2.
---

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #951 on: April 25, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »
So, I got a Wii U today. As of right now, the only game I have for it is Donkey Kong Country. I plan to get the following in the upcoming weeks:

-Mario Kart 8 //with DLC
-Super Mario 3D World
-Wind Waker HD
-Bayonetta 1/2
-Smash 4

Are there any other essential titles for the system that I missed? I have not looked too far beyond the first party titles. My preferred genres are platforming (both 2D and 3D) and RPGs (both Eastern and Japanese).
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #952 on: April 25, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
Check Monster Hunter 3, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #953 on: April 25, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3

Plan on getting Splatoon, it comes out near the end of May, a good list of games to get so far though!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #954 on: April 25, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
I thought about Pikmin 3 too but since it's a RTS... anyway, nice series if you ask me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:55:12 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #955 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U is a fantastic title. The three previous titles in the "New" Mario series all got generally lukewarm reviews but, from what I've read, this seems to easily be the standout. I haven't played any of the other three but I can say I definitely enjoyed the hell out of this one.

As for New Super Luigi U? It's a slightly compact, compleyely new game in the vein of NSMBU. The levels are nothing like the ones in NSMBU except for having similar enemies and scenery. The layout of the levels is completely new and different plus you have the added challenge of only having 100 seconds to complete each level so there's an element of speed running indeed.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #956 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
You can always get Wii games for it, so I'd heavily recommend Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, three of the best RPGs from the last gen ;D .

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #957 on: April 25, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »
Speaking of Mario Kart 8's DLC, the second pack came out and it's fantastic. I can play as Isabelle!  :heart And my two favorite tracks from Super Circuithave been brought back to life in an amazing way.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #958 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:18 AM »

25% cut for the creator seems extremely low, considering Apple and Google pay 70%. Granted, Steam needs to share the revenue with the developer, but I can't imagine why it would warrant such a drastic difference in compensation.

EDIT: Looks like the revenue share is determined by the publisher, which in Skyrim's case is 25%. Still ridiculous.
Never have Valve been in such a negative limelight. Usually they're praised with Gabe regarded as a saint. His AMA on Reddit didn't go so well, the community is pissed to say the least. I'm not sure how they will steer this ship in the right direction, it will propably blow out but I think some serious trust damage have been done.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #959 on: April 26, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
Gameplay trailer for CoD: Black Ops 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Pspqx0XGs

Really excited to finally see a customizable loadout and a leveling up system!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #960 on: April 26, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Never have Valve been in such a negative limelight. Usually they're praised with Gabe regarded as a saint. His AMA on Reddit didn't go so well, the community is pissed to say the least. I'm not sure how they will steer this ship in the right direction, it will propably blow out but I think some serious trust damage have been done.

Wait so modders who were releasing things for free finally get a chance to make some money if they want, which is 100% more money than they were making before, and people are complaining about the percentages?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #961 on: April 26, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
And the cut that workshop creators make is the EXACT SAME. Say if a TF2 workshop creator gets a hat in the game, they only get 25% of the sales. Nobody complains about that, and it's ALWAYS been like that.

The reaction to this is dumb as hell.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #962 on: April 26, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »
And the cut that workshop creators make is the EXACT SAME. Say if a TF2 workshop creator gets a hat in the game, they only get 25% of the sales. Nobody complains about that, and it's ALWAYS been like that.

Yup. And people still have the option to offer for free or pay as you like, if I understand correctly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #963 on: April 26, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »

Yup. And people still have the option to offer for free or pay as you like, if I understand correctly.

Then I agree the reaction to this is silly. I think it's only fair that the percentage is lower compared to selling your own original work, because you're still getting exposure and profiting on the basis of someone else's work. I personally don't see the problem, unless you're on the gamer side and don't want to pay for content you previously got for free (and may still get for free from many creators). But it also motivates people to create better content because there's potential financial benefit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #964 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
I think it all boils down to the fact that lots of people hate microtransaction in games which has finally also reached mods, the one thing that always have been for free, for the most part.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:49 PM »
I think it all boils down to the fact that lots of people hate microtransaction in games which has finally also reached mods, the one thing that always have been for free, for the most part.

I hate microtransactions and some DLC too, but I think the distinction to me is that this isn't something the developers are getting you to pay extra for, it's something done voluntarily by fans for no money in the past. Hopefully a lot of mods are still offered for free, but if the bigger mod creators want to charge a small amount for giving you something high quality, I think it's cool that they get reimbursed somehow for their work.

I'm admittedly biased by the fact I'd be into making mods rather than just playing them, and I think it's a generous option to allow creators to profit off someone else's game if they want to. I get that some people aren't going to be happy with this, but I can't understand it being some shitstorm.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #966 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
If it's one thing i've learned about the internet over the years is that things get blown out of proportion basically everyday about absolutely anything. People just likes to bitch and complain, especially gamers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
The internet blow something out of proportion? Never! *cough*the dress*cough*

Offline adace

« Reply #968 on: April 27, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
New trailer for Arkham Knight, looks badass :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DBvDejInI

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #969 on: April 27, 2015, 05:18:14 AM »
The internet blow something out of proportion? Never! *cough*the dress*cough*
:lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #970 on: April 27, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
Was really looking forward to Silent Hills, too bad it got cancelled. I was really looking forward to seeing if they were going to continue where PT left off, or not. It was so intriguing.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/27/silent-hills-has-been-officially-cancelled
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #971 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

Wait so modders who were releasing things for free finally get a chance to make some money if they want, which is 100% more money than they were making before, and people are complaining about the percentages?

No. Many modders had donation buttons on their websites.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #972 on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:29 AM »
The internet is scary, especially for companies. I hate the mob mentality that usually happens in public outrages but as a company you simply can't ignore them even if you think the public outrage is ridicoulus and unfounded, it can be devastating for a company if not dealt with care.

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #973 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
So, I got a Wii U today. As of right now, the only game I have for it is Donkey Kong Country. I plan to get the following in the upcoming weeks:

-Mario Kart 8 //with DLC
-Super Mario 3D World
-Wind Waker HD
-Bayonetta 1/2
-Smash 4

Are there any other essential titles for the system that I missed? I have not looked too far beyond the first party titles. My preferred genres are platforming (both 2D and 3D) and RPGs (both Eastern and Japanese).

You should also be planning to get Splatoon in May and look for those Virtual Console download games (I think every Nintendo fan here can heavily recommend the Metroid Prime Trilogy).
As you`re more into RPGs, this year Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming this year (tommorow in Japan :( ). I would recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as well, but as MH4U is already out on 3DS, I doubt you will find players online and the Multiplayer part is the main aspect why to get it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #974 on: April 28, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
The internet is scary, especially for companies. I hate the mob mentality that usually happens in public outrages but as a company you simply can't ignore them even if you think the public outrage is ridicoulus and unfounded, it can be devastating for a company if not dealt with care.

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop

The internet was not in the wrong here.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #975 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
They offered an optional method to release mods with terms on payment distribution explained, correct? How is that bad to give modders an extra option for distribution? Sounds like mob entitlement won, to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #976 on: April 28, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
They offered an optional method to release mods with terms on payment distribution explained, correct? How is that bad to give modders an extra option for distribution? Sounds like mob entitlement won, to me.

Because there was too much room for the consumer to get dicked. I'm not saying modders don't deserve money. Many modders have donate buttons on their websites that make them revenue. There were several problems with this rollout.

1) Within hours, content was being stolen and sold by people who don't even know how to mod.
2) The developer got a ridiulously small cut.
3) This isn't like DLC. When EA or Rockstar releases DLC or an update, everything works with those updates. In the event an update breaks something, they realease a patch right away (most of the time). Let's say someone spends $15 on a mod, Bethesda releases an update that breaks the mod, and the mod developer no longer is modding. You're stuck with a $15 mod that's unusable because of changes made by a developer who took a cut from the sale of that mod.
4) The fact that a company like Bethesda would even imagine taking a cut (65%) is beyond me. They did nothing in terms of the creation of that extra content. People buy their game in the first palce because of the modding capabilities. Stop trying to milk fans who have already legally purchased your game for content that you didn't spend a dime developing.
5) You're going to see a retarded amount of shitty, half-assed mods that are going to be nothing more than a cash grab.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #977 on: April 28, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Re: Donate: Donations are a tricky payment form. Mods are worthless without the base content and user base created by many other entities, so accepting money for your work like that cuts out deserved payment to other creators unless given approval.

1. Irrelevant, that's an enforcement issue.
2. It's a new option that with a disclosed cut. Disagreeing with terms doesn't make it mandatory. Besides, the 'developer' is dependent on many others for their work to have any value to begin with. Modding is not someone creating a full game.
3. Valid if hidden, but if it is made clear prior to purchase that the modder is responsible for updates then it isn't an issue. Risk of purchase. The money made might encourage the developer to make certain successful mods continue to work.
4. Mod creators set the price, not the publisher. ...and the developers, publishers, distributors, etc. all combine for a ton of effort put forth before a modder can do anything. You're also making up arguments by saying people buy the game for mods. Some do, but prove most do.
5. Irrelevant, and since modders can still put them up for free if they so choose this argument feels like entitlement. This is an option for modders, not mod users.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: April 28, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
4. Mod creators set the price, not the publisher. ...and the developers, publishers, distributors, etc. all combine for a ton of effort put forth before a modder can do anything. You're also making up arguments by saying people buy the game for mods. Some do, but prove most do.

Mod creators set the price, but the publisher determines the percentage cut. It was Bethesda who offered mod creators a 25% cut.

My main beef was that Valve was unilaterally deciding the future of mods without any input from the gaming community at large. It's similar to the backlash with used games a couple years back. Whether or not it's a good program or not is irrelevant when it comes to completely upending a system that's been in place for years with very little complaints.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #979 on: April 28, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
Modders can continue to offer for free, this is an extra option. If they dislike the terms they don't have to use it.

The 25% cut seems like it might even be generous to me. Mods are not new, unique products, they are extensions of an existing product the modder utilized. People just overestimate the value of what a modder is doing. They're making money from within a product developed, advertised, maintained and distributed by others. 25% is a sizable cut, especially if it comes with no risk of refund/complaint backlash (does it?).