Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479465 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #840 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Rock Band 4 is coming!!!   Can't wait for this.   It's honestly the only game I play, I wish I could play it more, and I would seriously consider buying a new console JUST to have this game. 

I seriously think these games are the greatest thing to happen to rock music since the mirror and the tennis racket.    People who criticize it as getting kids to pick up controllers instead of instruments are missing the point.    In the classic days of *actually listening* to music...it was a completely immersive experience.   Thus, the #1 reason almost every teenage boy would pick up a tennis racket and become a rock star for two hours every night in front of the bedroom mirror.   Rock Band brings back that "immersed in the music" experience, and even teaches a bit of timing in the process. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZNDZzCZ7o&feature=youtu.be

I'm really stoked for this.   I have always hoped this would be the next platform for music to be delivered to fans in a way that gets the artist paid.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #841 on: March 05, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
I'm more excited for the new Guitar Hero game. I never liked the Rockband Guitar and gameplay. I know it's the same, but to me it's not. I'd rather watch circles come at me rather than rectangles.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #842 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
I wasn't holding out too much hope for Rollercoaster Tycoon 4, but somehow Atari have managed to make it look worse than 3, which is impressive seeing as the 3rd game is a decade old now.

https://i.imgur.com/jF6hDvt.jpg
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #843 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
Where'd that screen come from? I have been following this release very closely and never saw that one. Anyway, I had high hopes for this game (It's RCT World btw, not RCT4) until it was handed over to different developers.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #844 on: March 05, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
I'm more excited for the new Guitar Hero game. I never liked the Rockband Guitar and gameplay. I know it's the same, but to me it's not. I'd rather watch circles come at me rather than rectangles.

I'm glad GH finally added the drum kit.  That was the biggest thing for me.   I just got used to RB's drum kit, so I've honestly never tried GH's.  The cymbal thing was a great idea.  I'd be interested in checking it out. 

I can't really do the guitar controllers for very long...I have a condition in my shoulders that affects the nerves running down my arms and into my hands.  My hands cramp up if I try to play for more than a few minutes.   Holding drum sticks is easier. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #845 on: March 05, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
Where'd that screen come from? I have been following this release very closely and never saw that one. Anyway, I had high hopes for this game (It's RCT World btw, not RCT4) until it was handed over to different developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgAhPffWsM
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #846 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »

I'm glad GH finally added the drum kit.  That was the biggest thing for me.   I just got used to RB's drum kit, so I've honestly never tried GH's.  The cymbal thing was a great idea.  I'd be interested in checking it out. 

I can't really do the guitar controllers for very long...I have a condition in my shoulders that affects the nerves running down my arms and into my hands.  My hands cramp up if I try to play for more than a few minutes.   Holding drum sticks is easier.

I definitely liked the layout of GH's drums better than Rockband's. The symbols were fantastic. The build quality was shit though. I had to open my kit up at least a half dozen times to re-solder joints that failed, The bass pedal, while it never broke, sucked as well. It would frequently register two hits instead of one. I ended up throwing the thing out. I hope they release a guitar only version. I have no use for the drums or microphone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:09:36 AM by Chino »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #847 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »
Seems like Oculus Rift is getting some serious competition from Valve with SteamVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw

Competition is refreshing and will always move the tech forward so it's good for all "competitors". Love the passion that Valve guy had. Btw interesting to note that there's a bunch of ex-Valve employees working on Oculus VR like Michael Abrash for example so the fight is real so to speak.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:21:01 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #848 on: March 06, 2015, 01:16:24 AM »
I hadn't gotten around to watching that video yet even though I'm subscribed to the channel. They've also done a lot of coverage on other VR devices, especially the Rift, so I trust their feedback.

One thing the Rift and other VR is still working on is input devices, and with these SteamVR controllers coupled with this being done by Valve, I think this will have great results.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:47 AM »
Yea the Tested guys have pretty much been first at hand with all of the Oculus Rift dev kits so far and always spoke highly of them so for them to say that "SteamVR is the best VR experience they had so far period" should say something. Will be interesting to see how the Oculus Rift camp will react to SteamVR given Valve said a consumer version is aimed for by the end of the year. That will surely give them a kick in the butt to move things forward but that's probably what they needed anyway and as I said, there's ex-Valve employees working in the Oculus camp so i'm sure that Oculus already knew what Valve had cooking under the hood. This will sure be intersting to follow!  :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #850 on: March 06, 2015, 01:57:17 AM »
I think the target release date for the consumer version of the Rift is by the end of the year too, although they make so many improvements and revisions that it's hard to know. As you said, it may be the kick in the butt they need to set a more solid date though.

Both already have a pretty high benchmark in mind, and competition will drive them further. I don't think the price of either unit is going to be too crazy either. Assuming Unity adds support for SteamVR too (which it no doubt will), I'd happily buy either unit at this point, and plan to if I have the money.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #851 on: March 06, 2015, 02:23:28 AM »
I hope they redesign the drums for Rock Band 4. Simply putting the snare in the center to mimic a real drum kit would be enough.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #852 on: March 06, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
Visually I think Rock Band works better to be honest, the thinner rectangles make stuff a lot easier to distinguish than the circles
Guitar Hero has always had a better game engine though

anyways I'm gonna be getting both when they come out because I'm a supernerd for the series

Offline TL

« Reply #853 on: March 07, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
After playing Rock Band, I always found it difficult to go back to Guitar Hero. Compared to Rock Band, I always thought the GH games from the same era felt really janky.
With everything from presentation to DLC, I definitely prefer the RB series. Knowing that DLC will carry forward to the new consoles is fantastic news.

I've never really liked playing drums in either series (I've admittedly only used the low end kits), which is a bit funny with me actually being a drummer.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #854 on: March 07, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
Unfortuneately, I have to leave the Rock Band franchise now, because it`s only released to XB1 and PS4. I actually played and supported Rock Band for more than 5 years on my Wii, spending lots of money to buy all the latest DLCs. And now, RB4 was announced and all my DLC cannot be transferred to any of the new consoles, besides I don`t have a money income to buy one of these consoles, new instruments, because the Wii instruments don`t work on the other consoles, and all my DLC again, so well, I`m out of this.

Maybe I`ll go over to Rocksmith, even without playing real guitar before, because at least I have a PC and I can just buy a cheap guitar to play Rocksmith.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: March 07, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
Sometimes you realise that there's certain things you've never seen in a game before, I think this qualifies as that:

Star Citizen - New Damage Model

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #856 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
Oh yeah, Valve at GDC:

The Vulkan graphics API was discussed, and it's basically going to be better than any other graphics API that exists today (able to run the next-gen Source 2 engine on any computer using OpenGL 4.1 or later [since it's basically a giant OpenGL update] [so circa 2009-present computers {not including Intel, they're behind  :lol}]). Very exciting. If everything goes well and it's released before Windows 10 therefore DirectX 12, DX12 may never be adopted, which would be awesome.

Source 2 is their new engine, obviously, and DOTA 2, CS:GO, and hopefully TF2 will all be ported over to the new engine within the next 2 years or so.

The Portal thing at the GDC isn't Portal 3, that was a tech demo.

Half-Life 3 has been confirmed for a while now.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #857 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
The Portal thing at the GDC isn't Portal 3, that was a tech demo.

Half-Life 3 has been confirmed for a while now.
Yea they said it was only a tech demo, looked amazing though and from what i've heard it was unlike anything with SteamVR.

Half Life 3 is not "confirmed" until they give an official announcement. They're most likely working on it though and have for alot of years, probably not full blown but atleast on pre-production level.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Anyone else playing Final Fantasy XIV Online? I just picked it up last month after a bunch of my coworkers started getting into it. I'm really enjoying it so far, so much that I put down for another 90 days after the 30 free days ran out.

The environments are gorgeous, the music (as always) is excellent, and it hasn't felt grind-y at all.  The ability to level every class with a single character is awesome, as I tend to stick with one character.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #859 on: March 09, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
yep, exactly that
can't remember the last D1 purchase I made
I think it was Hexcells Infinite, that was like last september or so
and $5

Offline Outcrier

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
It was released a bit early on Steam so I was able to play a couple hours before bed. Really good so far!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: March 11, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
yeah I already bought and downloaded
but I have a midterm today
so no time to play yet

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #865 on: March 13, 2015, 01:49:39 AM »
Now that Terry Pratchett has passed away, I went back to the old PC games they made based on his books, and they are still awesome. They had just as much charm as his books and is highly recommended for people who like old school adventure games.
The first two might be considered so hard they're close to impossible though.  :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline adace

« Reply #866 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:15 AM »
Heard they annouced Titanfall 2. I like the gameplay of the first one but the lack of single player really put me off. Hopefully the sequel will have it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
I enjoyed Titanfall, but agreed about the lack of single player and I felt the multiplayer got boring quicker than expected, not enough customization and rewards. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #868 on: March 13, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »
I'd rather have the amazing multiplayer that they constantly updated than a half assed story and alright multiplayer. Single player campaigns cost a lot to make and they were a new company. If they have the resources to both to the same degree then Id be cool with a campaign otherwise the fantastic multiplayer is enough for me

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #869 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I'd rather have the amazing multiplayer that they constantly updated than a half assed story and alright multiplayer. Single player campaigns cost a lot to make and they were a new company. If they have the resources to both to the same degree then Id be cool with a campaign otherwise the fantastic multiplayer is enough for me

I'm at the point now where I don't even care about a story. After playing GTA Online for the last year, I'd be completely content with Roackstar making an online only GTA. Funnel all resources into that endeavour.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #870 on: March 13, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
Now that Terry Pratchett has passed away, I went back to the old PC games they made based on his books, and they are still awesome. They had just as much charm as his books and is highly recommended for people who like old school adventure games.
The first two might be considered so hard they're close to impossible though.  :lol
I love the humour in them, really lovely games.

But yeah, bloody difficult as well. Things also seem to go wrong easily - in all three of the games I had to look up online walkthroughs at a couple of points in order to figure out what to do, and even then I would sometimes get stuck!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #871 on: March 13, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
I love the humour in them, really lovely games.

But yeah, bloody difficult as well. Things also seem to go wrong easily - in all three of the games I had to look up online walkthroughs at a couple of points in order to figure out what to do, and even then I would sometimes get stuck!
Have you played Discworld Noir? By far the best one and one of my favorite adventure games of all time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_ozaO9AGY
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #872 on: March 13, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
Of course, I had all three!

Can't remember if I ever finished Noir though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #873 on: March 13, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »

I'm at the point now where I don't even care about a story. After playing GTA Online for the last year, I'd be completely content with Roackstar making an online only GTA. Funnel all resources into that endeavour.
Out of curiosity, what do you (you, Chino) do in GTA MP? I'm right there with you that the stories are meaningless in the franchise (in my case specifically because they abandoned the humor and guest actors), but I found multiplayer (in IV at least) to suck pretty hard. Even was either doing pre-scripted missions, no different than SP except for your buddy playing along, or it was just random mayhem with a bunch of anonymous crazy fucks.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: March 16, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »

Out of curiosity, what do you (you, Chino) do in GTA MP? I'm right there with you that the stories are meaningless in the franchise (in my case specifically because they abandoned the humor and guest actors), but I found multiplayer (in IV at least) to suck pretty hard. Even was either doing pre-scripted missions, no different than SP except for your buddy playing along, or it was just random mayhem with a bunch of anonymous crazy fucks.

It depends who I'm playing with at the moment. If I'm on by myself, I'll do random missions (races, death matches, traditional missions, capture games, etc) to build up my bank accounts. Or, if I'm having a bad day, just cause mayhem and take on the police. Sometimes I'll hunt for people, other times I'll be a bounty hunter (which I guess is like hunting people). When I'm playing with a few buddies, the game really shines. One of my good friends and I just offroad and explore a lot. We get out of the city, don't worry about making money, and just dick around the map in our redneck machines. The heists have really changed everything. Outside of the insane delay, they are probably one of the coolest things Rockstar has accomplished.

You really can't compare GTA-IV's multiplayer to GTA-V's multiplayer. IV's multiplayer is like a powerwheels, and V's multiplayer is like a Hayabusa motorcycle.