Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479292 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #805 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:43 PM »
Man, remember the original Mario Party minigames that involved rotating the analog stick as fast as possible, and people would ruin their skin using an open hand to do it?  :lol It's why we got Mario Party 2 on the Wii's Virtual Console but not the original; they pulled back from making minigames like that again after the first game.

My blistered palm thanks yee, Nintendo. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:44 AM »
Man, remember the original Mario Party minigames that involved rotating the analog stick as fast as possible, and people would ruin their skin using an open hand to do it?  :lol It's why we got Mario Party 2 on the Wii's Virtual Console but not the original; they pulled back from making minigames like that again after the first game.
Yeah, I was addicted to Mario Party so that happened to me quite a bit. :lol The sticks on all of my controllers are a bit loose when centred aswell, something that happened to the N64 controllers naturally over time anyway, but I'm sure it was exacerbated by playing Mario Party. It's a shame about those minigames because I'd really like to play Mario Party again, but I don't because of the further damage it would do to the controllers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »
Yeah, I was addicted to Mario Party so that happened to me quite a bit. :lol The sticks on all of my controllers are a bit loose when centred aswell, something that happened to the N64 controllers naturally over time anyway, but I'm sure it was exacerbated by playing Mario Party. It's a shame about those minigames because I'd really like to play Mario Party again, but I don't because of the further damage it would do to the controllers.

Mario Party was almost designed to destroy controllers. :lol All of our controllers would end up with grinded up grey dust around the analogue stick from mashing it with the palms of our hands on those fishing mini games.

As far as Mario 64, I found the controls on the DS version to be ok, and I liked the addition of a run button, although I haven't played it as much as the 64 version.
That game has some control issues anyway, being their first 3D platformer, like if you tried turning around too fast he's walk in a small circular arc instead of just stopping, or when you tried to jump and change direction quickly, he'd do a sharp sideways or backwards jump (which unfortunately was intended as a feature). I think they kinda overdid the control system a bit on the 3D Mario games.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2015, 12:52:23 AM »
I've always thought the controls were awkward in Mario 64. The things you mention and the fact that Mario has so little traction frustrated me quite a bit when I first got the game. I actually shelved it pretty early on and didn't get back to it for a few years.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:35 AM »
Yes, his traction can be weird too. Overall I still enjoyed the game and finished it twice, and it was a landmark game, but it shows its age moreso than the other 64 platformers.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2015, 06:28:23 AM »
Not to me, I had no issues with M64 controllers and my 120 stars proves it lol well not really, but to get all the stars you need to have good control of Mario to get all the coins and whatnot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: February 27, 2015, 06:29:14 AM »
I've gotten all 120 stars twice, but it doesn't mean there weren't tears along the way because Mario didn't cooperate. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: February 27, 2015, 06:31:02 AM »
Yea I know, kind of a joke but I am totally obsessed with that game, or used to be at least. 

And yea, I still have Mario Party and while the mini games were fun, they destroyed palms and controllers which was not fun.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #813 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
I played SM64 for the first time last summer. It is not as great as the two Galaxy games, but is still a classic.  :tup
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:23:44 AM by Randaran »
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #814 on: February 27, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
That game has some control issues anyway, being their first 3D platformer, like if you tried turning around too fast he's walk in a small circular arc instead of just stopping, or when you tried to jump and change direction quickly, he'd do a sharp sideways or backwards jump (which unfortunately was intended as a feature). I think they kinda overdid the control system a bit on the 3D Mario games.

Yep, this can be frustating sometimes.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #815 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
I played SM64 for the first time last summer. It is not as great as the two Galaxy games, but is still a classic.  :tup

If you played it when it first came out, you'd think it was the greatest Mario game ever (at the time).

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #816 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
^Word. And there was a decent chance you'd consider it the greatest game period at the time.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #817 on: February 27, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »
I got it with my Club Nintendo points along with Earthbound. I figure I'll get more points in the future before the Club shuts down and I've been wanting to play it again for quite some time. Played that game obsessively as a kid.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #818 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »

If you played it when it first came out, you'd think it was the greatest Mario game ever (at the time).
Disagreed. I hated it, and most early 3D platformers at the time, when it came out because of generally kludgy controls and shitty camera issues. I haven't played M64 in a long, long time so I have no idea what my reaction would be to it now, but I had a very strong negative reaction to it back then.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #819 on: February 27, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
I remember enjoying it, but my head exploded more with SNES super mario world than the transition into 3D. Played SM64 on and off when renting it, but never owned it. Still have a lot of respect for it though.

As for as the N64 generation goes, it was Ocarina that owned my soul.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #820 on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »

I'm going for that after finishing SM64.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #821 on: February 27, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »

Majora for me, though the two collectively blew my mind completely.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: March 01, 2015, 12:27:55 PM »
I've been playing Mario 64 on DS today and I remembered the change they made that I absolutely hate. When you hold the jump button and stand still for a moment, he charges up and runs off like an idiot, right off the level. What dumbass thought this would be a feature? Sometimes less is more.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #823 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
What bothers me most is the circular arc thing you talked about and when Mario, instead of grabbing a ledge, hit the wall and ends up falling back.

Apart from that, i'm really enjoying it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:44:31 PM by Outcrier »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #824 on: March 02, 2015, 05:31:38 AM »
Played the DS version a few years ago - I remember just hating it for having too many unnecessary new elements :lol. BTW, has anyone played the Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS? My bother has it, but never plays it, and I want to. So I was wondering what purists think about it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: March 02, 2015, 05:37:17 AM »
Played the DS version a few years ago - I remember just hating it for having too many unnecessary new elements :lol. BTW, has anyone played the Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS? My bother has it, but never plays it, and I want to. So I was wondering what purists think about it.

OoT is one of my favourite games ever, and I thought they did an amazing job with the remake. They didn't make major changes like in Mario 64 DS. The graphics are improved all around, but still capture the feel of the original, the controls work really well, and incorporate the gyroscope nicely for aiming (but aren't mandatory). They also added some additional visuals to the Water Temple that make it much easier to follow without actually altering it.
It's been a little while since I've played it, but I don't recall having any issues with it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #826 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
The Smash Bros. soundtrack from Club Nintendo came today! Probably the last thing I'll ever get from them before the service closes, sadly.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #827 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #828 on: March 04, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
So I don't get all the hate for Arkham Origins. I mean, I've read the reviews and all the interweb opinions, but I'm not seeing it. I borrowed it from my friend last night and I absolutely love it. I especially love being able to pick out points that I recognize from Arkham City.

Also, the Deathstroke fight is probably my favorite boss fight of all time.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline adace

« Reply #829 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:23 AM »
So I don't get all the hate for Arkham Origins. I mean, I've read the reviews and all the interweb opinions, but I'm not seeing it. I borrowed it from my friend last night and I absolutely love it. I especially love being able to pick out points that I recognize from Arkham City.

Also, the Deathstroke fight is probably my favorite boss fight of all time.
I think the game is great too, but it's also a bit too similar to Arkham City imo. There are some nice little improvements here and there, but nothing even approaching a creative leap.

That said, I think that Arkham Knight will breathe new life into the series with the Batmobile. Can't wait for it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #830 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:11 AM »
I also liked Arkham Origins and have no idea what the supposed problems were. Wasn't as good as City, for sure, but was probably roughly on a par with Asylum IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: March 05, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »
I love City, but I think there are two distinct things that make me like Origins better. First, the combat system seems to be more forgiving. A lot of times in City, I'll miss an attack, from going on the wrong direction or something. I have strung together far longer combos in Origins. Second, as beautiful as Arkham City is, its desolate, decayed state wears on me after a while. The functional and "lived-in" Gotham is an environment that I much prefer.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:11 AM »
Portal 3?

Not really but Valve has alot of things cooking atm. This is apparently a demo for their new VR headset featuring Portal  assets in their new Source 2 engine. Looks pretty bad-ass!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »
Half-Life 3 confirmed.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: March 05, 2015, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Bout damn time.

Edit*

Damn

'Half Life 3' Confirmed At GDC Was A BIG Mistake: Virtual Reality PR Error Crushes Fans' Hopes And Dreams [REPORT]

https://www.latintimes.com/half-life-3-confirmed-gdc-was-big-mistake-virtual-reality-pr-error-crushes-fans-hopes-300691

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
A team fortress 3 could be pretty awesome if thats something in the works.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #837 on: March 05, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Did Street Fighter III ever come out?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Bout damn time.

Edit*

Damn

'Half Life 3' Confirmed At GDC Was A BIG Mistake: Virtual Reality PR Error Crushes Fans' Hopes And Dreams [REPORT]

https://www.latintimes.com/half-life-3-confirmed-gdc-was-big-mistake-virtual-reality-pr-error-crushes-fans-hopes-300691
First:  :lol

Second: Since internet hasn't imploded yet, HL3 hasn't officially been announced.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #839 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »