Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479315 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #770 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
I know these games probably fall outside of the taste of most people in this thread but I recently bought and ravenously consumed Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2. Has anyone else played them?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #771 on: February 11, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »
Nope (being Vita games didn't help) but heard great things about them.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #772 on: February 11, 2015, 11:39:16 PM »
I vastly prefer Rogue to Unity. Only thing Unity has over it is the graphics, really. And I really like Rogue, though the northern, snowy atmosphere feels very dreary compared to the sunny Caribbean in IV. But the game is essentially AC 4: Snowy Irish Templar Edition.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:07 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #774 on: February 13, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »
Just got the Majora's Mask new 3DS and A Link Between Worlds.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
After throwing my hands up in disgust with how the story and some gameplay elements went in 3, I skipped a few releases.

Picked up Unity, and it became the first game I ever returned same week.

Beautiful game of course, but the movement and mechanics gets worse it seems with every damned AC game. I don't know how that is. The cherry on top was when it became the first game/anything to fully freeze my PS4.

Not saying it's a bad game, but AC is very large and immersive, and I like to play through it a lot, and to do that I need to be happy with those basic things.
I thought III was the pinnacle of the series. Maybe a few more technical issues than normal, but I never found it bad.

Playing Rogue right now and feel it is better than Black Flag and all of the II series, but I miss some of the more intelligent design choices of III and I. Those two seemed to encourage and reward careful decision making more than any other in the series.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #776 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
Here's my new pimped up space bachelor pad:

https://youtu.be/u3SzuN4G068

:zydar:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:02 AM »
So I bought Saints Row IV on a steam sale this weekend for 7 dollars (included all of the DLC) and I played the 3rd so I am familiar with the series, but holy hell this game is fun.  Just a pure stupid and fun game that has no real storyline yet is addicting just because its so enjoyable. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #778 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »
So I bought Saints Row IV on a steam sale this weekend for 7 dollars (included all of the DLC) and I played the 3rd so I am familiar with the series, but holy hell this game is fun.  Just a pure stupid and fun game that has no real storyline yet is addicting just because its so enjoyable.

I haven't played SRIV, but if you don't count GTAV, SRIII was easily my favorite game on last gen (consoles).  I think GTA could learn a lot from those game, mainly the capabilities of their character creator.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »

I haven't played SRIV, but if you don't count GTAV, SRIII was easily my favorite game on last gen (consoles).  I think GTA could learn a lot from those game, mainly the capabilities of their character creator.

yea GTAV could add a lot of value with better player customization, but I think I would take GTA's realism over SR's unrealistic environment. 

Offline TL

« Reply #780 on: February 18, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
For me, I think I can safely say that I enjoyed Saints Row 3 more than any GTA game I've played.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #781 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
For me, I think I can safely say that I enjoyed Saints Row 3 more than any GTA game I've played.

I'd agree if Saints Row 3 was more polished. The driving was really piss poor. I get it's not meant to be serious, but the audio while driving was terrible. You'd hear the car randomly shifting, and the engine sounds didn't match or sync up with the speed at all. The map was also a little small. Maybe I was spoiled by GTAV's map.

However, the finishing moves/stealth attack during combat were absolutely awesome. I really wish the GTA games would incorporate stuff like that. I want to be able to sneak up behind people and cut their throats, snap their necks, or smash their face into the sidewalk.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: February 18, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
The "playground" of SR4 is way more fun just because of the amount of different vehicles/guns/gang members and other things that are there free to mess around with. 

Being able to throw someone into a brick wall is very fun, and then to do a little dance afterwards.  And that is just the tip of the iceberg of fun things to do.

At this point, I will always take GTA over SR though, GTA is just way too polished and realistic and the single player storyline is much better.  SR is good for laughs and instant satisfaction.  The missions are also fun too, but just because they are over the top and actually make me laugh.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #783 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »
Currently playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy I picked up for 10€ on my Wii U and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on my 3DS. Metroid is pretty genius, but it takes so long to have some progress (10% at 4 hours on Metroid Prime 1). MH4U is the same, but it still hase this addictive item chasing, like "Nah, I`ll just do this monster once to get this item." and at the end, you have hunted down the monster 5 times until you finally got what you needed to make your last part of your (hopefully) awesome armor/weapon.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #784 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
I love Saints Row 2 more, honestly. Stillwater is a much more interesting city to fuck around in than Steelport, and overall 2 had a better balance of drama and absurd comedy rather than being balls-to-the-wall nuts all the way through. I felt 2 had better customization with the cribs and your character too. Though I love SR4, being that it's pretty much a love letter to the whole series. SR3 was just kind of a disappointment to me, but I know it was a lot of people's first SR game, and I can respect why they love it so much.

I really hope to play Gat Out Of Hell soon though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #785 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:30 PM »
SR3 was the first one I played, and I played SR4 almost immediately after that I think. Then I tried to play SR2, but I thought it was absolutely dreadful. :lol

I had to turn off all the advanced lighting features like ambient occlusion and HDR, because every object looked like it was smothered in grease and there was a blurriness/fogginess over everything. The visuals were greatly improved once I turned those things off, but then I'm playing a game from the 360/PS3 generation released in 2008 that looks like it's from four years ago on the previous gen. I'm not a graphics whore, but for 2008 it was pretty bad. Lighting isn't that hard to get right, and without it everything looked "basic" - I remember being in a cave at one point and there was no darkness to it at all because I'd turned the advanced lighting off. The cave might as well have had the sun inside of it, everything was perfectly illuminated.

Then, the pop-in was the worst I've ever seen. I could stand in place and rotate the camera, and I would see things disappear and new things appear, and not at a very long distance either - things only a few metres away from my character would spawn/despawn just from doing this. It was especially annoying when I would be driving and see a car I wanted - slamming on the handbrake and turning around wouldn't be fast enough before that vehicle would vanish.

The controls were pretty unintuitive aswell. In menus I was allowed to use the up/down arrows to move my selection vertically, but I couldn't use the left/right arrows to move the selection horizontally - I was forced to use Shift and CTRL. Any attempt to remap these controls to the arrow keys to make the menus more intuitive would have resulted in sprint/crouch/etc controls being remapped to the arrow keys too, so I couldn't do anything. Walking around felt clunky because of the way the character turned. Again, didn't feel like a game released in 2008.

Even the shooting sucked. Fine aim being a toggle instead of holding the button down might have been something I got used to had I played the game more, but I never got used to it in the couple of sessions I played. Also every time I switched from being unarmed to holding a gun, the very first shot would either be delayed 1-2 seconds (but the game wasn't slowed or frozen at all), or the first shot would simply not go off. Also the aiming felt more like the overly-simplified GTA III controls than it did something more refined that came out the same time it did, like GTA IV. GTA III was released 7 years prior.

Finally, as mentioned before, this game is from 2008 and was competing with games like GTA IV, which is just 100 times better in every imaginable way - gameplay, controls, mechanics, graphics, everything. Infact even comparing SR2 to San Andreas it comes up short in every way except for the graphics, and even then I'd probably still give the nod to SA because for its day and that generation, it was quite good (for comparison GTA III was on the same gen, but SA is still an improvement) whereas SR2 was bad even for its time. GTA SA didn't have pop-in even remotely as horrible as that of SR2, and it was four years older and on a previous gen console. :\

I wanted to play it for the story, to see what events transpired before SR3, but I just couldn't get past all this stuff or enjoy the gameplay at all, and wanting to see the story wasn't enough of an incentive to tolerate these problems. So I gave up.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
Finally, as mentioned before, this game is from 2008 and was competing with games like GTA IV, which is just 100 times better in every imaginable way - gameplay, controls, mechanics, graphics, everything.

I-- I don't-- I never played the PC version, maybe it was crap. I played it on the 360, and it was better than GTA IV in every way. SR2 is actually one of my top ten games of all time. Aw well.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »
Some of it probably is because it's a port - menu controls for one are probably much more intuitive on a controller for one. I don't exactly think GTA IV is perfect, either...I could probably write almost as much about what I didn't like in it as I did for SR2. :lol The cover system could be awkward at times, as could the handling of vehicles, and there's a ridiculous amount of redundant driving from A to B to C to A again in the missions. But for me those things didn't overshadow what I liked.

Offline TL

« Reply #788 on: February 19, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
For me, I think I've gotten to a point where I prefer silly and over the top rather than realistic in an open world game. I certainly respect the technical achievements of the GTA series, and I certainly enjoyed screwing around in GTA3 and Vice City back when they were new, but for whatever reason, GTA 4 and 5 just never drew me in. I played quite a bit of 4, and thought it was alright, but having played Saints Row 3 and 4 since then, I don't know if I could go back. SR just appeals to me more now. All a matter of different tastes of course.

Currently playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy I picked up for 10€ on my Wii U and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on my 3DS. Metroid is pretty genius, but it takes so long to have some progress (10% at 4 hours on Metroid Prime 1). MH4U is the same, but it still hase this addictive item chasing, like "Nah, I`ll just do this monster once to get this item." and at the end, you have hunted down the monster 5 times until you finally got what you needed to make your last part of your (hopefully) awesome armor/weapon.
Now I have the urge to go back and play through the Metroid Prime games. Maybe one of my favorite game series ever.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #789 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
For me, I think I've gotten to a point where I prefer silly and over the top rather than realistic in an open world game. I certainly respect the technical achievements of the GTA series, and I certainly enjoyed screwing around in GTA3 and Vice City back when they were new, but for whatever reason, GTA 4 and 5 just never drew me in. I played quite a bit of 4, and thought it was alright, but having played Saints Row 3 and 4 since then, I don't know if I could go back. SR just appeals to me more now. All a matter of different tastes of course.

GTA-IV, in my opinion was the worst of the franchise since III. That game got boring really quick, and I have no desire to ever play it again. GTA-V on the other hand, that game was a whole different beast. That was unlike any game I've played before. Granted, I haven't touched the campaign in over a year.I just play online now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: February 20, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
I thought GTA4 was the best of any GTA.  Best storyline and NYC was amazing and fairly accurate.  It was missing some awesome elements from SA, but I didnt think it took away from the game.  GTA5 is really amazing, but I enjoyed 4 more.  Also, the DLC specifically the Ballad of Gay Tony was my favorite set of missions in any GTA game.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #791 on: February 21, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
For any Majora's Mask players, check out this awesome easter egg this guy found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLR5y0DkLfQ#t

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #792 on: February 21, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
Hahaha god dammit.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #793 on: February 21, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
Got a few games on my trip to England, and from those I'm playing Fallout 3. I already played it some years ago, but didn't finish it. Now, its time to fix that :hat.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
For any Majora's Mask players, check out this awesome easter egg this guy found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLR5y0DkLfQ#t

*listens the first time* What is that?

*listens the second time after looking at the comments for half a second* Oh. Haha.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2015, 06:22:15 PM »
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the South Park game. Just fought a boss battle featuring... a lot... of human anatomy flinging around... some of it being a hazard within the fight. Holy crap, that was distracting and awkward. I was almost laughing too hard to focus on the boss.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the South Park game. Just fought a boss battle featuring... a lot... of human anatomy flinging around... some of it being a hazard within the fight. Holy crap, that was distracting and awkward. I was almost laughing too hard to focus on the boss.

I need this game lol as if beating people to death wtih a purple dildo in SR4 wasn't enough.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #797 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
So in my quest to continue wasting time on my PSP, I recently played through 3rd Birthday.  Controls were a little wonky to get a handle on at first, but then I really grew to love it.  Very cool game!

I played around with Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep for a while.  Cool game, but got old quick.

Currently playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.  I've just started and am going through the training missions.  From what I've read online, it's a very hard game and the training missions don't really accurately represent how hard the game actually is.  Anyone familiar with it?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #798 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »
Playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.

At first, i feared i wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of the camera and graphics. Now, i'm hooked :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #799 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I can't go back to the original. I love all the stuff the DS version added, despite the terrible d-pad controls.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #800 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
I opted for the original 64 one since i've been wanting to play other games from that system anyway.

But, from my experience, it must be difficult to control Mario without an analog stick.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #801 on: February 26, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
Playing Super Mario 64 as a kid for the first time is one of those gaming experiences I wish I could relive.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #802 on: February 26, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
Unfortunately, the way they made the DS one, even with the 3DS's analog stick, it's awkward, as Mario and friends are designed to go in eight directions, so the movement isn't very fluid and can be a bit wonky. The original plays better, but I just love the additions. Playing as Luigi is sooooo fun in that game.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #803 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
I got my n64 (with expansion pak) with a copy of mario 64 at a yard sale for a grand total of 8 dollars.  Altough about a year later the on/off switch broke and its permanently on so i have to turn it on and off by unplugging the back. also have fun with the blister that will form on your thumb due to the n64 joystick.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #804 on: February 26, 2015, 11:18:33 PM »
Man, remember the original Mario Party minigames that involved rotating the analog stick as fast as possible, and people would ruin their skin using an open hand to do it?  :lol It's why we got Mario Party 2 on the Wii's Virtual Console but not the original; they pulled back from making minigames like that again after the first game.