Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479282 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #595 on: December 11, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
You'll end up killing them too.
Nah, I got a two week break coming, and I'll be all alone for a good chunk of it. Black metal winter wonderland minus the winter coming up.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: December 12, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
I'm starting to think RPG has moved to a definition that I don't fully understand anymore, are role playing games specifically the ones that ask you to shape the looks of your character and chose their name?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2014, 07:55:16 AM »
You can do that to a degree in the Call of Duty games these days. It's something that's a part of what an RPG can be, but it's not the end all be all for what makes an RPG imo.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
I'm starting to think RPG has moved to a definition that I don't fully understand anymore, are role playing games specifically the ones that ask you to shape the looks of your character and chose their name?

Well, aesthetically, Japanese RPGs and Western RPGs (while originally inspired by old school D&D type stuff) have evolved into two completely different genres.

See, I used to consider games where you get to name your characters to be RPGs, which included Legend of Zelda, but there's been a ton of arguments against Zelda being an RPG, because you don't get to level up your character, etc. Meanwhile, games like Final Fantasy, which were the biggest, most popular Japanese RPG franchise, stopped bothering with letting you name your characters.

It seems like as time goes on, Western RPGs are the ones that are more focused on customization, letting you shape your character and the game world based on your own decisions in the way you see fit, with games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Although more action focused games like Deus Ex still count, because of the decision making and the skill customization aspect of it, even though it feels pretty much like a regular First Person Shooter.

Meanwhile, most Japanese RPGs, even the ones that let you choose your name and dialogue choices, like Persona 3, are more focused on just telling an epic, character driven story. And the RPG aspect comes from leveling up, and in best of cases, choosing how you want your character to evolve combat wise, with spells, skills, etc. (In worst cases, each character is assigned his own set of skills and you just have to grind for a bit to learn them. No customization whatsoever.)

Of course, more often than not, that combat building element, where you customize your skills still exists in Western RPGs, but in games like Mass Effect 2, for example, that's extremely limited, only letting you choose a few variations for how your character plays.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #599 on: December 12, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
I would say an RPG is defined more by the approach to gameplay, rather than how customisable the characters are.

If the game involves a substantial element of exploration AND interaction with other characters (not only in set pieces, but where you can interact when you want to do so) then I would say that it's either an RPG or has RPG elements.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #600 on: December 12, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
I would say an RPG is defined more by the approach to gameplay, rather than how customisable the characters are.

If the game involves a substantial element of exploration AND interaction with other characters (not only in set pieces, but where you can interact when you want to do so) then I would say that it's either an RPG or has RPG elements.

Try telling that to Square Enix.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: December 12, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
Ive never been the biggest RPG guy, more of a FPS type of gamer although I love FPS with RPG elements.  But would you say that an RPG is also defined by a changing storyline dependent on your actions?

« Reply #602 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
Ive never been the biggest RPG guy, more of a FPS type of gamer although I love FPS with RPG elements.  But would you say that an RPG is also defined by a changing storyline dependent on your actions?

Personally, yes, I think it requires both, story and mechanical choices. So, allowing you to assign skill points and things like that, something that does exist in games like Call of Duty, is just one part of it, and as a result, Call of Duty isn't an RPG, but an FPS with RPG elements.

And the story element is the other essential factor, giving you choices either in dialogue, or in exploration, or both, like in Fallout 3, or Deus Ex, which are RPGs with FPS elements instead.

But I would say that having just one of the two elements is not enough. Even story wise, look at all the Telltales Games, like The Walking Dead, or Wolf Among Us, or even Quantic Dream games like Heavy Rain. They're adventure games where you get to affect how the story plays out, but lack of mechanical evolution is what keeps it from being an RPG.

Character customization though, I think is just something cool, that allows people to have a more personalized experience. But if you look at games like The Witcher. It's still an RPG, even though you can't customize your character's appearance.

I do think it's pretty cool though that if those two elements are present, a game is, and feels like an RPG, no matter what kinds of combat mechanics there are. I mean, Mass Effect plays like a third person shooter, Deus Ex like an FPS, other games take on the form of hack and slash, so it's very versatile in that respect. Which is why I think we shouldn't define games based on their core gameplay mechanics, because it doesn't always express the essence of what we get out of it. This video explains it a lot better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepAJ-rqJKA

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #603 on: December 12, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
With all the talk of FF, I'll update.  I'm nearly at the end of FF7: Crisis Core on the PSP.  I have absolutely LOVED it!

« Reply #604 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Never played it, but yeah, from what I hear, it's the one FF7 spinoff that's not a complete abortion.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
I can't believe how expensive N64 games are. You'd think there'd be plenty of copies of Mario Kart floating around.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: December 12, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
wouldnt of thought that either, good thing i still have mine and my games including mario kart  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
I can't believe how expensive N64 games are. You'd think there'd be plenty of copies of Mario Kart floating around.

In the past few years it's crossed the line into "retro" territory, so it's becoming more sought after by collectors. And anyone who has a copy of Mario Kart 64 isn't giving it up that easily. :lol If you have a 64, you want/have Mario Kart, along with Goldeneye.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #608 on: December 12, 2014, 10:50:05 PM »

In the past few years it's crossed the line into "retro" territory, so it's becoming more sought after by collectors. And anyone who has a copy of Mario Kart 64 isn't giving it up that easily. :lol If you have a 64, you want/have Mario Kart, along with Goldeneye.

I had a dream a while ago that I was at a store, and I saw a mint condition Sega Saturn for really cheap, so I was like, "Maybe I'll buy it and start collecting for it," but then I saw what games they were selling, and they were like, shovelware, so I thought, "Man, it would be difficult to collect for this system without breaking serious bank. Not worth it."  :lol

But it's not untrue for 5th generation consoles, these days.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: December 13, 2014, 01:46:36 AM »
Has anyone heard of and/or played the game Mountain? I just bought it, and I have to say, I absolutely love it. It's a very strange game seeing as you don't actually do anything. There's just a mountain, floating in space, and you look at it, and things happen to it, but you just keep looking at it. It's almost surreal, but I quite enjoy that. It's like, an ambient game.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: December 13, 2014, 01:57:57 AM »
If you don't actually do anything, then what makes it a game? Isn't that just...... watching stuff?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2014, 02:10:29 AM »
Sounds like I could watch it on Youtube and not miss out on anything. Why "play" it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »
Sounds like I could watch it on Youtube and not miss out on anything. Why "play" it?

I assume it's at least somewhat randomized each time, otherwise there would be no point viewing it twice.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
I assume it's at least somewhat randomized each time, otherwise there would be no point viewing it twice.
I figured there would be some randomisation. But if you have no control over what happens, you still wouldn't miss anything watching a Youtube video. It might have been different had you played it, but you still didn't influence what happened at all.

I suppose the experience could also be different if you have control of the camera, but that's hardly significant.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »

I have an N64 but I don't own nor do I particularly want a copy of Mario Kart. I actually don't own any copies of Mario Kart. not for the SNES nor for the GC.

I do have Goldeneye though.

Offline adace

« Reply #615 on: December 14, 2014, 03:37:00 AM »
Started playing Ryse Son of Rome on the Xbox One. The gameplay is so linear and repetitive, but the story and setting keep me wanting to play it. The beach storming scene is just badass. Reminds me of the 300 movies or Saving Private Ryan.

« Reply #616 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
Started playing Ryse Son of Rome on the Xbox One. The gameplay is so linear and repetitive, but the story and setting keep me wanting to play it. The beach storming scene is just badass. Reminds me of the 300 movies or Saving Private Ryan.

While it sucks that the gameplay feels repetitive, I'm always happy to see a game where the storyline is so engaging that it keeps people playing in spite of mediocre gameplay.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #617 on: December 14, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »

While it sucks that the gameplay feels repetitive, I'm always happy to see a game where the storyline is so engaging that it keeps people playing in spite of mediocre gameplay.
*coughPlanescapeTormentcough*

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #618 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »

Back in the day I had an N64 with a library of games about 40 strong. I had all the classics. Starfox, Donkey Kong, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Pokemon Snap, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Snap, Golden Eye, etc... The N64 ended up in a campfire one night. About 5 years went buy and I finally bought a new one. I haven't the slightest clue where the game collection is. I tore my parents' house apart looking for them and all that turned up was All Star baseball 98. I haven't the slightest clue what happened to them. It's possible I sold them, and if that's the case, I'm ashamed that I can't remember doing that.

« Reply #619 on: December 16, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
There's no way your parents just had a yard sale one day without your knowing?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #620 on: December 16, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
There's no way your parents just had a yard sale one day without your knowing?

Absolutely not. Everything else is still there (memory cards, rumble backs, gb cartridge adapter). My Sega Saturn and games are still there. My PS2 and games are still there. Everything, as far as I can remember, was all in the same tote in my closet. I can't for the life of me figure out why just the N64 games are missing.

« Reply #621 on: December 16, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
Beats me. A lot of my old game stuff has disappeared. My PS1, my old Sega GameGear and all the games for it, same with GameBoy Color. I hope my mom sold it, because if she just threw it out when she moved, that's kind of depressing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
Played NFL Blitz on the N64 last night with my brother and his friend.  That game is so much fun.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #623 on: December 16, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
That game was a blast. I had all the followup games on PS2 as well (NHL Hitz, Slugfest, etc). I wish they continued that series.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #624 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
They should've made a croquet game too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #625 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Been playing the old, obscure Neopets: The Darkest Faerie for the PS2 for the past few days out of nostalgia, and god it's cheesier than I remember  :lol That's to be expected of course. What's surprising me right now is that like in HALF the tracks in the game have time signature changes that I never noticed before. No wonder I've been trying to get the soundtrack for years. Too bad the composer hasn't gotten back to me about selling it  :(
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #626 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
You can't find a rip of it somewhere online?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #627 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
I did a quick search on some tracker sites, but there are only the OST of Mass Effect, Jade Empire and Myst. Curiously, it seems that he made the Myst IV soundtrack along with Peter Gabriel :omg: .

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #628 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/cookiechicken/videos

This guy is the only person with decent quality tracks, that he got by recording while he was playing.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #629 on: December 16, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
If you really want it, you can rip the audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEjYLETbR-A