Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479441 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
I think story is definitely becoming a bigger part of video games, which is a good thing. And although some people may say that "story is unimportant" or whatever, I think developers are getting the message that actually gamers do want good stories. Look at the absolute backlash against Bioware for Mass Effect 3 - that nothing to do with art style or gameplay, that was purely a story issue.
Which was a stupid issue. Not getting the ending you want doesn't mean the company making the game fucked up.

Well, it's not about not getting the ending you want, it's about making a game whose biggest draw is the decision making, and shaping things the way you want to, and then at the end, making you feel like all your choices up to this point didn't matter at all. It makes the experience anti-climactic and unsatisfying in the end.

Personally, with the extended ending they release afterwards, I thought Mass Effect 3's conclusion was just passable, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having high standards for the story and its conclusion and expecting the developers to deliver something satisfying at the very end.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #526 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
I think story is definitely becoming a bigger part of video games, which is a good thing. And although some people may say that "story is unimportant" or whatever, I think developers are getting the message that actually gamers do want good stories. Look at the absolute backlash against Bioware for Mass Effect 3 - that nothing to do with art style or gameplay, that was purely a story issue.
Which was a stupid issue. Not getting the ending you want doesn't mean the company making the game fucked up.
Oh I agree, I thought it was a massive overreaction (not that people aren't entitled to their opinion, just that the way people reacted was incredibly childish). My point was that it showed just how important story is to a lot of gamers.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »
Man that whole thing with ME3 made me so furious! The fucking entitlement of it!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #528 on: December 05, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
I bought Okami a while back after mastering the demo. Everything about it is great, gameplay, plot, MUSIC...
Okami is bloody brilliant, indeed. Still go back to replay it every other year or so.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
The issue with game stories is the interactive element; very few games manage to meld gameplay and story well. The Last of Us, for example, succeeded, as the desperation of the characters would not have been conveyed nearly as well without the gameplay. However, in many games, the dissonance between story and gameplay diminishes the former. I do believe that it is possible to successfully blend the two, but that it is fairly difficult to do so. TLoU, as I stated, suceeded, but games like this seem to be rather rare.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

« Reply #530 on: December 05, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
The issue with game stories is the interactive element; very few games manage to meld gameplay and story well. The Last of Us, for example, succeeded, as the desperation of the characters would not have been conveyed nearly as well without the gameplay. However, in many games, the dissonance between story and gameplay diminishes the former. I do believe that it is possible to successfully blend the two, but that it is fairly difficult to do so. TLoU, as I stated, suceeded, but games like this seem to be rather rare.

You're absolutely right, but that's exactly why storytelling in games needs to be given the right amount of attention to, because as of right now, in spite of the few companies that do it extremely well, it's still a very young and developing part of games. It needs to grow, not shrink.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:20:24 PM by TheGreatPretender »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: December 05, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Just started playing War Thunder and goddamn it's addictive.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
So, there's been some major updates during the past hours, enjoy:

Bloodborne New Gameplay Trailer
King's Quest Reveal
The Legend of Zelda for Wii U Gameplay First Look
Metal Gear Online World Premiere
No Man's Sky New Gameplay Trailer
The Order 1886 World Premiere
Street Fighter 5 Teaser
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Elder Blood Trailer
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:46:54 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
Every time I see a video of No Man's Sky, I'm astonished by how amazing it looks. I don't know if there's even a plot, but I'd buy a next gen console just to play it.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
That Zelda map looks enormous.

« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
Man, it really makes me sad that I'm not excited about any of those. Zelda of course looks cool, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a Wii U.
And I'm probably gonna get The Order 1988, but it's not like it's making me all giddy with excitement, it just looks like a cool game.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »
Zelda of course looks cool, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a Wii U.

Um... alrighty then, enjoy missing out on a fantastic console bubs.

« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
Zelda of course looks cool, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a Wii U.

Um... alrighty then, enjoy missing out on a fantastic console bubs.

Zelda is the only first party Nintendo franchise that I really like, and feel like I'm missing out on. There's been nothing else on the Wii U that I want even a little bit.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
Really?
Zelda's the only IP out of Nintendo's HUGE branch that you like? I honest to god find that pretty baffling but hey it's your opinion *Shrug*

« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
Really?
Zelda's the only IP out of Nintendo's HUGE branch that you like? I honest to god find that pretty baffling but hey it's your opinion *Shrug*

I mean, you know, Mario's always fun. But not nearly appealing enough to me to make me go, "Aww man, I so wish I could play that!" And yeah, Smash Bros, Metroid, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, none of those have ever really appealed to me that much. Star Fox 64 was amazing, but Star Fox doesn't have the most consistent track record, and I do have a 3DS, so I can play the remaster of 64 on it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »
You're missing out on their new IPs too though, Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, and whatever else they've got coming out, I can't even keep up. On top of that there's games like Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors which are just insane awesome. The new Mario games also actually breathe a hell of a lot of fresh air into the series as well, along with the fact that you've got games like Captain Toad which are cute but very fun games.

« Reply #541 on: December 06, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »
You're missing out on their new IPs too though, Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, and whatever else they've got coming out, I can't even keep up. On top of that there's games like Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors which are just insane awesome. The new Mario games also actually breathe a hell of a lot of fresh air into the series as well, along with the fact that you've got games like Captain Toad which are cute but very fun games.

Well, maybe if I had a friend with a Wii U show me those new IPs, and I were to play them and love them, that would be one thing. But I'm definitely not gonna buy a Wii U to take a chance on them.
I kinda hated Bayonetta 1, so the sequel is not something I'd be interested in. And Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors type of game, which I always only had fun with for like, an hour before getting bored. I know Hyrule offers some nuggets to classic zelda games and things like that, but it still seems incredibly repetitive to me, and not in a way I would like.
Honestly, for me to buy a Wii U would take one of my favorite third party franchises like Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat or Fallout, making an exclusive multi-game deal with them. Same thing happened with the GameCube. I wasn't interested in it at all, but as soon as I found out they'd have a remake of the first Resident Evil on it, and continue the main series exclusively on the Cube for a while, that's when I was like, "Fuck, you got me. I have to buy a GameCube now." And honestly, my collection for it remained really small, consisting mainly of Resident Evil games, Zelda, and that's pretty much it, aside from a couple odd titles.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #542 on: December 06, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
FFVII is gonna be released on the PS4.... exactly as it was in the PS1.

Why does Square Enix hate money?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #543 on: December 06, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
It's a port of the Steam version.

Also FFVII will sell like hotcakes on the PS4 because nostalgia sells.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

« Reply #544 on: December 06, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »
It's a port of the Steam version.

Also FFVII will sell like hotcakes on the PS4 because nostalgia sells.

Does that mean that it's gonna be upscaled to 640 x 480? Cause I'd buy that for a dollar!

Also, how come the gameplay footage of Uncharted 4 wasn't posted? Now THAT'S something I'm extremely excited about!!!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #545 on: December 06, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
Really?

I mean, you know, Mario's always fun. But not nearly appealing enough to me to make me go, "Aww man, I so wish I could play that!" And yeah, Smash Bros, Metroid, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, none of those have ever really appealed to me that much. Star Fox 64 was amazing, but Star Fox doesn't have the most consistent track record, and I do have a 3DS, so I can play the remaster of 64 on it.
I hear ya. I grew up with Nintendo, but I was never a big fan of the Nintendo IP games back when I was doing the majority of my gaming (like PS1 and PS2 era). Ever since, though, I've found myself gravitating back to Nintendo. Maybe it's just other games have gotten way too cinematic and violence-oriented for my tastes, I bought a Wii U awhile back and I am having a ton of fun with the more traditional type video games on it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:00:42 PM by Skeever »

« Reply #546 on: December 06, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
The thing is, if I wanted traditional gaming, the indie market is so full of that kind of stuff, sidescrolling platformers and games that simulate 8-bit graphics and things like that, that I'd even call it saturated. So even with PlayStation or Xbox, there's no shortage of "traditional" gaming options for them.
But hey, if people really enjoy the first party Nintendo games, by all means. Most of them are just not really my thing. I bought a Wii back in 08, but couple months into owning it, it started gathering dust, and I was looking at what was coming out in the future, and none of it interested me aside from a couple of new IPs I was kinda curious about. Ultimately, it was either keep it and try those out, or sell it along with all my games for $300 and spend it on games I actually wanted for PS3, so I went with the latter option.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
Oddly, I must say that I am not overly excited about Zelda. I'll buy it because I already have a Wii U, but Zelda easily the type of Nintendo game that other developers have mastered and taken to much higher heights. Honestly there have been so many great action/adventure/rpg games, and the more recent console Zelda games are quite a drag.

« Reply #548 on: December 06, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »
I actually haven't played any new Zelda games in a very long time. Some of them just looked cool, and I do have friends that keep praising the crap out of them.
Personally, I'm just excited that they're gonna be releasing Majora's Mask on the 3DS, between that and Ocarina of Time, my 3DS will give me all the Zelda fix I need.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #549 on: December 06, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
You should get A Link Between Worlds for sure. It's a really great throwback to A Link to the Past.

But, yeah, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were painful, plodding games.

« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
You should get A Link Between Worlds for sure. It's a really great throwback to A Link to the Past.

I still have a hard time dishing out $40 for 3DS games though. I'm hoping to find it for $30 or so used.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #551 on: December 06, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »

Wait, like, no graphical changes? If so, that's pretty dumb, they should at least attempt a graphical upgrade, it's their most popular game
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #552 on: December 06, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
I just don't understand why this is getting so much attention. Maybe instead of saying, "Hey, FF7 is coming to PS4 as is!" they should just make the PSOne classics compatible with the PS4, and make them all available, FF7 included.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #553 on: December 06, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
I just don't understand why this is getting so much attention. Maybe instead of saying, "Hey, FF7 is coming to PS4 as is!" they should just make the PSOne classics compatible with the PS4, and make them all available, FF7 included.

I really don't get why backwards compatibility isn't standard with all systems. If it were, I'd actually have a reason to get the next gen. I currently don't. In fact, I probably won't anyways. Even when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out (being probably one of the most hyped games in existence, even next to Half Life 3).
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #554 on: December 06, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
Well, I know with PS3 games, unfortunately there's something about PS3's cell processor that works in a different way from a normal processor, so it might be an issue with PS4's hardware. But yeah, when it comes to PS1 and PS2 games, there's no excuse. I'm sure if the PS4 is capable of reading DVDs, then there's nothing stopping Sony from developing some software to at least emulate PS2 games... And uh... It doesn't read CDs for some odd reason, so with PS1, they'd have to go with just the digital software, but that can't be too difficult to implement.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #555 on: December 06, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »

Wait, like, no graphical changes? If so, that's pretty dumb, they should at least attempt a graphical upgrade, it's their most popular game
It'll be like the Windows version. Not graphical changes, but textures will  be smoother and less jaggy and there will be some minor gameplay tweaks. Not so big, I realize, but you'd notice a huge different if you plugged your PS1 into your HD TV and tried to play the game that way. I don't know why everyone wants a remake of VII anyway - the game is still fine as it is. VIII is the one that needs a complete overhaul.

I still have a hard time dishing out $40 for 3DS games though. I'm hoping to find it for $30 or so used.
Why not? I agree that consoles games are more valuable, but if a portable title is something I'm going to spend hours and hours playing, I'll dish out for it.

« Reply #556 on: December 06, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »
I don't know why everyone wants a remake of VII anyway - the game is still fine as it is.
This. I seriously couldn't stand FF7 spinoffs, or the latest few FF games. If FFXIII is any indication, as far as I'm concerned, if Square tried to remake FF7, give it a shiny new coat of paint, voice overs, crap like that, they couldn't possibly do it justice.

Although I also love FFVIII, so I wouldn't want to see that remade either.

Why not? I agree that consoles games are more valuable, but if a portable title is something I'm going to spend hours and hours playing, I'll dish out for it.

Well, there are some games, I mean, Ocarina of Time, I happily spent $40 on, and most recently Persona Q, which I'm currently playing and enjoying a lot. But for example, Fire Emblem Awakening, I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, and even though my friend kept singing praises about it, I still had my hesitations. Luckily I did find it used, and picked it up, and enjoyed it very much.
Plus I get more reward points for buying used, so it's not even that I don't want to spend $40 on games, it's just that I don't see quite as many used 3DS titles as I'd like, and I know that if I did buy them new, I'd find a used copy a few weeks later that I could've saved money on. Lol. It happened way too many times.
With consoles, aside from the stuff that I want right away and preorder, I usually have a much easier time finding used copies, at a discount. It's how I've gotten quite a few of this year's releases.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #557 on: December 06, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
PM me your username TGP, I'll add you.

And I've spent like 80 hours on Fire Emblem. Well worth it. I hear you though, not much used for those big RPG games. I guess the people buying them know that they want those games and don't want to sell them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: December 06, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Can't wait for FF7 .

Port or not - it's one of the reasons I wanted a PS4 - so I could play that game again without worrying about scratched discs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: December 06, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
This. I seriously couldn't stand FF7 spinoffs, or the latest few FF games.

Truth ! I loved 6 through 10 but that's where my love of FF died. However - Advent Children was a fantastic movie - even if it was 100% fan service. It was so entertaining.