Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479417 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #420 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »
Helpful stuff guys. Thanks. I think I will pass for now but maybe pick up in a few months when the price drops.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #421 on: November 18, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
I, for one, am loving Inquisition. And as a follower of the lore, I love that my "Herald of Andraste" is a Dalish mage. :lol

Also, there's so much stuff to do!! I found my first dragon just wandering around in my 4th hour and I nope'd the hell out of there!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:57:06 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #422 on: November 18, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Far Cry 4 is fucking awesome

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: November 22, 2014, 03:10:01 AM »
Vac bans (Valves Anti-cheat software) has hit several CS:GO pro players just days before a big tournament:

https://csgo.gamebanana.com/news/21178

It's sad that people do all kinds of trick to cheat and get away with it. When the price is up to $250.000 people get greedy though.
It's apparently only the beginning and more bans are to be expected.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #424 on: November 22, 2014, 03:51:45 AM »
I'm heavily leaning toward getting a PS4 bundled with GTA V and The Last of Us on black Friday. The only problem is the XB1 has that Assassin's Creed bundle which is way more attractively priced. Here's the breakdown:

PS4: $400 and two free games.

XB1: $330, two free games, $50 gift card, and $10 off a controller if bought at the same time as the console.

I figure the quickest way to speed up the comparison is to factor in all the bonuses to see what they end up making the consoles cost respectively as a net cost.

PS4: Two games=$110 off of $400 making it a net cost of $290.

XB1: Two games, $50 gift card, and $10 controller discount=$170 off of $330 making it a net cost of $160.

Basically, I've never been a fan of XB1 because of the DRM thing but I understand they've recanted on much of it. Are there still any unusual limitations on loaning or selling your games for it? In general, what are the big pluses and minuses of both consoles? Bottom line: is it foolish to get lured in by the XB1's much better price?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:00:35 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #425 on: November 22, 2014, 03:53:09 AM »
I'm heavily leaning toward getting a PS4 bundled with GTA V and The Last of Us on black Friday. The only problem is the XB1 has that Assassin's Creed bundle which is way more attractively priced. Here's the breakdown:

PS4: $400 and two free games.

XB1: $330, two free games, $50 gift card, and $10 off a controller if bought at the same time as the console.

I figure the quickest way to speed up the comparison is to factor in all the bonuses to see what they end up making the consoles cost respectively as a net cost.

PS4: Two games=$120 off of $400 making it a net cost of $280.

XB1: Two games, $50 gift card, and $10 controller discount off of $330 making it a net cost of

XB1 = game with Dork Castle. Just saying.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #426 on: November 22, 2014, 04:04:28 AM »
Sorry for the incomplete post above. I went back and edited in all the specifics on the price comparisons. Sorry bout missing our MK8 date last friday too. I wanna get that going soon. I just wanna make sure it's on a day where I have a good two hours to focus on it. Also, a game with dark cockle sounds swell.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #427 on: November 22, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
XB1 doesn't have any limitations on selling or loaning so you'd be good there :)
It really just comes down to the exclusives you wanna play and both consoles have and will have fantastic exclusives. And who you want to game with :P

Also you're all good on missing Friday mario kart, I forgot to bring that to my parents last week anyways haha

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: November 22, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
The big selling point for me on xbox1 over ps4 was the whole xbox1 is a media device.  Really cool how you can so seamlessly use the TV through the xbox1.  Also, I am a big Halo fan so theres that too, plus the price is pretty good right now.  Im sure the PS4 has better graphics and good exclusives as well.  In the end, if i want good graphics, Ill play on my PC anyway.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #429 on: November 22, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
The big selling point for me on xbox1 over ps4 was the whole xbox1 is a media device.  Really cool how you can so seamlessly use the TV through the xbox1.  Also, I am a big Halo fan so theres that too, plus the price is pretty good right now.  Im sure the PS4 has better graphics and good exclusives as well.  In the end, if i want good graphics, Ill play on my PC anyway.
PS4 has slightly better hardware, but it's pretty close anyways.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #430 on: November 22, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
The big selling point for me on xbox1 over ps4 was the whole xbox1 is a media device.  Really cool how you can so seamlessly use the TV through the xbox1.

How does it differ from regular TV viewing? Be as thorough as you care to be and thanks for the help.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: November 22, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
The big selling point for me on xbox1 over ps4 was the whole xbox1 is a media device.  Really cool how you can so seamlessly use the TV through the xbox1.

How does it differ from regular TV viewing? Be as thorough as you care to be and thanks for the help.

The TV itself doesn't differ but I have it set that when I turn on the TV and Xbox it automatically puts the TV on and then I can hit the Xbox button and it puts the TV in a smaller window on a windows 8 looking interface and then I can keep watching or pick a game to play. Then while I am loading a multiplayer math I can hit the Xbox button and go back to the TV while it loads. It also has the TV guide built into the Xbox. It makes my tv remote control not needed.  It would do more if I also had the kinnect.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #432 on: November 22, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
Thanks brah!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
Spent so much time on Smash Bros. for Wii U today that I almost feel ill.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #434 on: November 22, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
Of all things, I spent 17 1/2 hours playing The Minish Cap one day a few months ago. Pretty sure that's a personal record.

Offline adace

« Reply #435 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »
Digging Far Cry 4 a lot. It's pretty similar to FC3 but I'm not complaining.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #436 on: November 23, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
Finished up a replay of HL2 that I started, oh, 2 years ago? I forgot how annoying your 'allies' are during the final missions are. They spent more time blocking me, getting blown up by grenades, and throwing themselves into bullets than they did allying me. By the final Strider battle I just wanted to gun them down myself.

"Hey look, it's Freeman! Let's follow him!"
"No! GTFO of my way!"

Next up? Back to X-Com: Enemy Unknown, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Wasteland 2. Hopefully Wasteland 2 has had most of the bugs patched out of it by now.

Question for all 3DS owners out there. I'm thinking about getting either a 3DS or 3DSXL. You can turn off the 3D right? 3D tends to give me headaches and look awful so that's a bit of a deal breaker. Are there any differences between the two systems that are worth noting? I know the screens on the XL are larger and the speakers are smaller and shittier (no big deal, I'll use earbuds prolly) but not much beyond that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
Question for all 3DS owners out there. I'm thinking about getting either a 3DS or 3DSXL. You can turn off the 3D right? 3D tends to give me headaches and look awful so that's a bit of a deal breaker. Are there any differences between the two systems that are worth noting? I know the screens on the XL are larger and the speakers are smaller and shittier (no big deal, I'll use earbuds prolly) but not much beyond that.

Yes, you can turn off the 3D any time. The 3D setting is a slider on the side of the screen, so it's not game controlled in anyway. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it at all.
I never use it, because besides hurting my eyes after a while, it limits the viewing angle severely and gives slightly worse graphics (the colours aren't as vibrant, and it turns off what little AA the thing can occasionally manage)

As far as I know, the only major difference between the 3DS and the 3DS XL is the screen size, and I think the battery life may be slightly better too. The 3DS XL also looks a little slicker than the slightly boxier 3DS, and might be slightly more comfortable to hold. I can't remember, although I've played both plenty.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
It's also worth noting that a newer, better model of the 3DS is coming out next year (along with games that will only play on it), and even if you're not interested in that, the prices of the current ones might steadily go down after that on releases.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #439 on: November 23, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
^ That, VERILY. It's pretty amazing what they've done with it; my friend works for a college tech-zine and somehow got the New3DSLL (Japan's "XL") and it is fucking incredible how perfected the viewing is on that thing. It's truly a beautiful system and I am getting on day one. Along with increased RAM, better design options on the hardware itself, and of course the expanded viewing in 3D, the colors are a bit more vibrant, the sound seems to be drastically improved (which was a personal HUGE pet peeve of mine on many games) and the battery life has been increased pretty drastically (They've released specs on it but I can't remember exactly how much, but it's a good amount of time).

All in all, this isn't Ninty doing their old schtick, this seems to be a genuine awesome upgrade for anyone that is looking to upgrade soon (it'll be out Q1 in the US of 2015 if you can wait). I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT FOR XENOBLADE AHHHHH~~~~

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
it'll be out Q1 in the US of 2015

I've only heard people hint at this. You got a link? Cuz I'm dying to get it and want reassurance.

« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
Oh I didn't realize there was a new one coming out. I might just wait till that comes out before I make any decisions. I wasn't planning on getting one until next year at the earliest so waiting a little longer won't be too bad, I guess.

Thanks for the infoz!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #442 on: November 23, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
The PS4 vs XB1 debate comes down to exclusives for me.  Infamous (not the current game, but I'm counting on futures), along with Uncharted do it for me (probably helps that I have a PS3 and those franchises).  The Order looks pretty good.  Forza and Halo have never intrigued me enough to switch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Yeah. Goldeneye's the only FPS that's ever wowed me (I plan on trying more in the future though) so Halo will hold zero sway for me as of now. As for Forza, I haven't cared for racers since the holy arcade trifecta of Daytona USA/Sega Rally/Cruis'n'(franchise) plus Wipeout for PS so I'd probably need a gun to my head to blindly buy a racer.

My biggest exclusive for either console would likely be Killer Instinct but, despite the fact that I can look past the lukewarm reviews due to good faith instilled by the original, the DLC pricing is wiggita wiggita wack.

Beyond these factors, I like how the PS4 controller has a touch pad which seems like UI selections will be far more easily navigable thus making the $10 difference in price okay with me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2014, 07:05:06 AM »
After being very down on COD, I got AW for the xbox1 and I have to say I am actually enjoying it.  I was not planning on getting this game and it was kind of an impulse buy, but with Halo's multiplayer not really working atm, I need to fill my online console void.  The Exo abilities add a lot to the game and give it a bit of a different feel, while still having the core COD gameplay and feel.  I also enjoyed a bunch of the maps that I played. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #445 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
PERSONA Q~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fucking amazing! Awesome SMT/Persona combat, great voice acting, beautiful artwork, interesting story even if you've played P3/4 to death and it's got some wonderful 3D that doesn't strain the eyes but still looks really cool, especially with the 1st person perspective most of the time. Only a few hours in but this is definitely going to bump down Pokemon for me. I'm gonna be addicted to this for quite some time. DEMON HUNTING - BEGIN!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: November 25, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
Far Cry 4 is fucking awesome

Oh you said Far Cry. For a moment I thought you said KillZone 4 for some reason - which was really boring.

Offline adace

« Reply #447 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:31 AM »
Bored, so I'm making a most anticipated games of 2015 list:

Halo 5: Guardians
Rise of the Tomb Raider
The Witcher 3
Battlefield Hardline
Batman: Arkham Knight
Just Cause 3
The Legend of Zelda
Tom Clancy's The Division
Rainbow Six Siege

And I'm still itching to play the new Dragon Age and Shadow of Mordor.

« Reply #448 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »
Picked up Wolfenstein for $20 on the steam sale. Now I get to go through the long, fun process of waiting for all 40 gigs (?!) of it to finish downloading. I should be able to play in about a week I think.

Offline adace

« Reply #449 on: November 28, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Just ordered the Xbox One AC: Unity bundle!  :metal :metal :metal

• DT.net Member
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:16 AM »
Just ordered the Xbox One AC: Unity bundle!  :metal :metal :metal

Grats, brah! Hope you have a blast.

Offline adace

« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
Thanks, man. :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
I didn't know where else to put this but is anyone else kind of dumbfounded with the commercials for these RTS phone app games like Game of War and Clash of Clans? They'll show this ridiculously over the top battle and whatnot and then the quick preview of the actual game at the end shows an RTS game on a small screen with crappy graphics. I mean nothing in the commercial even translates into what the product actually shows.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
I didn't know where else to put this but is anyone else kind of dumbfounded with the commercials for these RTS phone app games like Game of War and Clash of Clans? They'll show this ridiculously over the top battle and whatnot and then the quick preview of the actual game at the end shows an RTS game on a small screen with crappy graphics. I mean nothing in the commercial even translates into what the product actually shows.
Yeah, I always wonder when I see those adverts "Doesn't that just remind people how much better games could be and how crappy the phone game is in comparison?"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
Any recommendations for a decent gaming wireless headphones guys?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.