Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479259 times)

Offline adace

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #280 on: October 09, 2014, 04:24:29 AM »
So I rented Alien: Isolation from Gamefly and I have to say that so far I'm not really digging it. Too tedious, nerve-wracking and frustrating. Call me traditional but I play games for fun and this one just isn't doing it for me. Knowing that I can never kill the alien, not even with powerful guns, is both unrealistic and very unsatisfying. I will say that the setting and overall creepiness are fantastic. I think I'd enjoy this way more if it were a movie.

On another note, I can't wait for the new Borderlands game! That game looks hella fun. Plus the moon setting is just awesome.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: October 09, 2014, 05:01:53 AM »
All your reasons is why I love the game! :lol I wanna feel helpless, fragile and scared shitless like you would against a creature like Xenomorph especially when your not a trained soldier like you are in basically every Alien game so far with tons of weapons at your disposal. The fact that you can't "kill" the Alien makes it even more tense and believable for me. It's all about the atmosphere and horror just like her mother felt in the original movie. Haven't finished the game yet so I can't give my overall opinion but so far I say they nailed everything.

In the end I guess it's not a game for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:43:43 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #282 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »
I don't know why watching user-made Vice City stunt videos like this one are so damned amusing to me, they just are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PHsDEcbiQ

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #283 on: October 09, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
That's got nothing on what my modified baggage handler used to do. It could jump from the runway ramp across to the opposite end of the entire game map. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
AWESOME.  I think I'd mentioned this before, but I have to try to find a way to get video of it.  May favorite was taking fire trucks full speed across Leaf Links Bridge and ramming golf carts head-on.  Watching them go spinning through the air and burst into flames upon landing was absolutely fucking hilarious.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
:lol I liked to take the Hunter helicopter and use the blades to mow down people on the beach.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #286 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:56 AM »
Yep.  Always a good time.  Also, you know how sometimes if you fire at a car, they'll stop and get out and run OR they'll go nuts and speed off like a mad man?  I liked to park in front of a high performance car, like a Cheetah or a Banshee, shoot out all four tires (this doesn't seem to incite the run or speed off reaction), get in the car and let them go, then pull beside and fire at them once.  If they go into full on flight mode, following along to witness their path of destruction on 4 flat tires is lots of fun.

Or hitting pedestrians with a PCJ and watching in the rear view to see how high in the air they fly.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: October 09, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
How about the carmageddon mod for GTA 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6E5pmIT3c

It's just pure chaos but alot of fun to use.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
That is awesome.  Too damn funny.  I'd have to watch it for a while on normal speed to get the full comedic effect.  The constant slow-mos kinda ruin that.  But still, quite funny.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
Yea maybe not the best video for showing but there's a bunch on YT, couldn't find the one I was looking for.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #290 on: October 09, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
I'll check it out.  in the meantime, I'm thinking I NEED to get this Super Golf Cart mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJDYuERhSk

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #291 on: October 09, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
I am definitely looking forward to the new Borderlands game. BL2 is one of my favorite games from the current generation, and I am sure that this one can match it. Speaking of which, I need to pick it up again. Maybe I could finally grind to 72 and reach OP8. My Siren has insane healing capabilities, and her phaselock ability fits my playstyle perfectly, especially when Converge and Ruin are factored in. Add in a few friends, and you get an experience that is almost unbeatable in terms of enjoyment.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #292 on: October 09, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
All your reasons is why I love the game! :lol I wanna feel helpless, fragile and scared shitless like you would against a creature like Xenomorph especially when your not a trained soldier like you are in basically every Alien game so far with tons of weapons at your disposal.

Man, modders already enabled Oculus Rift in game... Immersive as it is, when you encounter the Alien, i bet it should feel like you're dead for real  :|
But seriously, it should be amazing playing it with Oculus.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:45:55 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #293 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
Back on the Vice City topic, I nearly shat bricks laughing when a friend of mine started shooting at a line of roughly ten cars backed up at a red light until each one's color had darkened to that smoldered look indicating they were on the verge of exploding. He was able to basically play exploding car dominoes cuz the chain reaction from the dooming shot made them act as one continuous fuse.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
How about the carmageddon mod for GTA 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6E5pmIT3c

It's just pure chaos but alot of fun to use.

:lol I think I'll stick to Carmageddon 2 though. I modified that game too, so my car weighed a crap-ton and was invincible and super fast, then I ramped up the pedestrian density (and even spawned them on roads), then used the springy powerup and went crazy. Also it had dogs. Damn, this thread's making me all nostalgic today. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Played a bit of Alien Isolation tonight. It was ok. Played up to the very first encounter with the Xeno then played Destiny.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Minor spoilers for Isolation!
So there I was, hiding behind a desk that I figured out the Xeno never checks. Why do I know that because after playing games for so long i'm an expert at finding the "weak" spot for AIs and NPCs. I exploit the games weakness to feel safe, that's just the way it is. Here's the thing though as I found out when I accidently hit my hammer into the desk, the Alien do check because seconds later I hear the loud "thumps" from his feets as he corners the desk and just attacks me instantly and kills me. I swear my heart stopped for a second!
Another moment is the vents you can hide in, I never ever saw him crawl in or chase me so after an hours gameplay I felt safe in the vents, found another safehaven so to speak. I crawled in to hide from him in the dark and seconds later I hear a noise and the fucker crawls after me in THE VENTS and attacks me! Seriously, i'm not very sensitive to horror but that fucking got me, my body just froze entirely!  :lol

One of the best AI/NPC scripts i've seen in a game.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
:heart that all-over shiver you get when something scares you in a game.

i remember I was playing resident Evil 4 in my room at night with the lights off and it was that part where you're playing as the girl and you're wandering around in the dark with just a torch and then out of the darkness comes this suit of armour and it happened then and I was like : " Ooooh ! " :P

It's a good scare because you can just stop playing the game and it goes away - not like Silent Hill PT which is so fucked up it messes with you even afterwards.

EDIT : I'm loving Destiny too. I'm not doing actual story at the moment - i'm doing bounties and beacon missions to level up and get better weapons etc. So much fun.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
Play the Crucible when it opens up at level 5 to help you with that. Also you can just play the story missions in a higher difficulty, it'll help you level up quicker too.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
I'm Level 14 at the mo and i've done two moon missions. I'm having more fun just doing side missions :)

EDIT : it reminds me a l'il bit of Final Fantasy - where you can either play the game - or do your own thing and the narrative will wait for you.

Offline adace

« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
I'm playing The Evil Within now. It's basically a Resident Evil game by another name (it was actually made by the guy who did RE4) but it seems more original and scary than the last two RE games.

So far I like it a lot: excellent atmosphere and gameplay, especially the upgrade system. Some parts of the story are bit cliched, but it's still interesting and scary enough to keep me intrigued.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
The 2013 Tomb Raider was sitting in my game shelf, and so I thought I'd pick it back up today. Just stopped playing around 2 AM, that was a long fucker of a gaming session  :lol

Quite easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2014, 04:52:57 AM »
So there I was, hiding behind a desk that I figured out the Xeno never checks. Why do I know that because after playing games for so long i'm an expert at finding the "weak" spot for AIs and NPCs. I exploit the games weakness to feel safe, that's just the way it is. Here's the thing though as I found out when I accidently hit my hammer into the desk, the Alien do check because seconds later I hear the loud "thumps" from his feets as he corners the desk and just attacks me instantly and kills me. I swear my heart stopped for a second!
Another moment is the vents you can hide in, I never ever saw him crawl in or chase me so after an hours gameplay I felt safe in the vents, found another safehaven so to speak. I crawled in to hide from him in the dark and seconds later I hear a noise and the fucker crawls after me in THE VENTS and attacks me! Seriously, i'm not very sensitive to horror but that fucking got me, my body just froze entirely!  :lol

About Alien: Isolation, i recently finished it up on hard difficulty and i'd say, the most scary part of the game for me was, actually, everything before encountering the Xenomorph for the first time (which is a scripted event). Before it happens, we don't have a clue when the thing gonna shows up and, while it didn't appear for me, i read some comments saying that he can show up before it's "official introduction", just as i suspected.
For example, after the cutscene where he kills that bald guy with his tail, you reach a dark place where you have to call a "tram". While you wait for it, the music just gets creepier and you just have to wait for the damn tram while praying. After it comes, if you take too long to push the button to go, i've heard people saying that he comes and kills you. I'm glad that i hit the button fast  :rollin

After i got familiar with the Xenomorph, the game did lost the scariness factor imo. Also, the alien isn't that annoying after you get the flamethrower.
In fact, the most annoying enemy for me was these Working Joes.

That said, i thought it was a pretty good game. Anyone interested in the movie or survival horror should try it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: October 15, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »

About Alien: Isolation, i recently finished it up on hard difficulty and i'd say, the most scary part of the game for me was, actually, everything before encountering the Xenomorph for the first time (which is a scripted event). Before it happens, we don't have a clue when the thing gonna shows up and, while it didn't appear for me, i read some comments saying that he can show up before it's "official introduction", just as i suspected.
For example, after the cutscene where he kills that bald guy with his tail, you reach a dark place where you have to call a "tram". While you wait for it, the music just gets creepier and you just have to wait for the damn tram while praying. After it comes, if you take too long to push the button to go, i've heard people saying that he comes and kills you. I'm glad that i hit the button fast
:rollin

After i got familiar with the Xenomorph, the game did lost the scariness factor imo. Also, the alien isn't that annoying after you get the flamethrower.
In fact, the most annoying enemy for me was these Working Joes.

That said, i thought it was a pretty good game. Anyone interested in the movie or survival horror should try it.
Yea that's true althoug I didn't know it could be that early, that's cool. My first real encounter was in the medical center but i've seen it in a video show up after the cut scene. If you run or make alot of noises it will show up. The big lounge area were you fight the humans, if you run towards that area after the cut scene you can see the Alien chasing a human. I've seen the Alien attack someone in that area also so I think it becomes "active" after the cut scene. Yea I was sure it would show up at the tram scene but didn't for me also but it's cool that it could do that.

Glad you enjoy it though, I haven't finished the campaign yet. I'm at the part when you come back to the doctor and see him getting molested by the Xeno. I agree that it becomes less scary when you kind of learn the pace of the Alien but still there's moment when he fools you completly. Like I mentioned when he crawled after me in the vent I freaked out, that was so unexpected and cool.
I don't think they could have done more without it becoming to frustrating to play. They did a great job at scripting and making the Alien adaptive to the envoiroment and your actions. It feels like your haunted all the time. I get chills every time I hear his foot steps and I know he chases me.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #304 on: October 15, 2014, 05:51:53 AM »
Yeah, i know the feeling. One time, i was inside a vent waiting for him to go away and he did go away. Unfortunately, he chose to enter the vent i was hiding  :)
I was surprised since i thought he only could go in the ceiling ones.

It feels like your haunted all the time. I get chills every time I hear his foot steps and I know he chases me.

This i agree. Even if you don't fear him that much anymore, things still get tense when he's following you.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:57:26 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
The 2013 Tomb Raider was sitting in my game shelf, and so I thought I'd pick it back up today. Just stopped playing around 2 AM, that was a long fucker of a gaming session  :lol

Quite easily one of the best games I've ever played.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how good that game was. I'm excited how the next one is gonna be. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
https://destinypublicevents.com

^ Do Destiny fans know about this website ? Tells you where and when Public Events are happening.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #307 on: October 16, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I do, but essentially I boil it down to dropping in at :10/:40 or :55/:25 to head to the Divide or Mothyards to complete an event. Don't really farm much, just like to grab my public for the day, or get one towards the bounty.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: October 16, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
Same for me. I don't like playing primarily to get ammo or whatever or to get kills for fun. I'd get bored. I do public events / bounties / beacons :)

I'm Currently level 18 and have only just opened up Venus.

p.s. My bro and Dad got me an early 36th birthday present - which was a PS4 with Destiny and Need For Speed : Rivals :)

It's the first "big" pressie i've had in years ( I don't like asking for expensive stuff - usually a meal out or something small like a CD ) .

The last "big" pressie I got was my DIY Telecaster for my 30th that Dad put together for me :) .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:54:45 PM by Kotowboy »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »
This game will sure cause some debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg

You can pretty much create the same kind of violence in GTA but it's not the main point of the game of course but still, am I a hypocrite for supporting a violent game like GTA but not this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:20:10 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2014, 10:35:46 AM »
But like you said, it's not the main point of the game. This is just a small dev team trying to make murdering people edgy and cool and I hope this tanks hard and they never work on another game again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
Inb4 - this game causes people to become murderers.

No it doesn't. If you've got it in you to take a life - then you're gonna do it anyway.

Playing a computer game won't turn a decent pacifist into a serial killer.

Why must there always be a scapegoat ? If it's not video games it's metal music.

... But yeah that game looks absolutely pathetic.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

No it doesn't. If you've got it in you to take a life - then you're gonna do it anyway.

Why must there always be a scapegoat ? If it's not video games it's metal music.

All of this. People are already jumping the shark on this game and I swear, if some violent event were to happen involving a teenager, this game will probably be connected to it as the cause.

That being said, it looks so dumb and a direct effort to push people's buttons.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

All of this. People are already jumping the shark on this game and I swear, if some violent event were to happen involving a teenager, this game will probably be connected to it as the cause.

That being said, it looks so dumb and a direct effort to push people's buttons.

Better this game take the blame than any other game. It looks awful.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adace

« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »
Finished The Evil Within and it definitely deserves a spot in my top 10 horror games. There were enough twists and turns to keep my on my toes and the story was really unique. The final boss was just incredible. Ace game :tup

Playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel now and having a blast. Better than the previous two games imo. The whole moon dynamic is great and adds a whole new layer of fun to an already super-fun series. The only thing I would add in is a drivable spaceship. Otherwise, phenomenal game.