Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479235 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
Why throw or sell old systems and games?

Everything is hooked up and ready to play. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
Jeeze, looking at that is a reason to sell old systems based on how much space they take up :lol but it would be cool to easily play any of those old systems whenever I wanted.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
I bought a special shelf just to be able to have them hooked up like this. :lol It is all kinds of awesome to be able to play Mass Effect and then move on to Super Metroid, and then Sonic 2, etc. :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
I'm more surprised you have a Sega CD :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
Love your setup lynxo.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
Yeah that setup is uber sex.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »
^ Yes. Verily. That is so awesome. If I hadn't been a dummy dumbfuck and not sold all my shit then I'd have a plethora of classics at my beck and call. But alas, now I have my lone 3DS. That is all the survived the war, and only because he hid in my pants. Coward. My PC just stood there and kept mumbling about some kind of god complex.

I await the day when a company/system/series makes me wanna buy another console. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
Thanks guys. :)

Gotta admit though, the only reason I have a Sega CD is because it came with the Sega system for a cheap price. :lol: Still have no games for it though, most of them are expensive. But if I ever run across Sonic CD, I'll be all over that . :tup

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
About 6 years ago, I got really drunk and my N64 ended up in a bonfire. A retro video game store opened near me and I bought a new one a few weeks ago. I can't kind my N64 stash container. I'm missing my rumble pack, my memory cards, my game boy cartridge adapter, and all the most classic games. I have no clue where they could be.  :'(  It's possible I traded/sold them all away, but I don't think I would have been that foolish (says the guy who threw his N64 in a bonfire).

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
I managed to get the Ghost achievement on Dishonored on the highest difficulty (never being detected throughout the game). I now feel accomplished and slightly ashamed due to the time that I invested into this.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
I managed to get the Ghost achievement on Dishonored on the highest difficulty (never being detected throughout the game). I now feel accomplished and slightly ashamed due to the time that I invested into this.

ahh the feeling of achievements in both having too much time and accomplishing something extremely difficult, a great feeling.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
Lynxo, that is one hell of a way to kick off the new thread!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
Haha, thanks. I thought so too. ;)

So what's everyone's favorite system? Mine is definitely the SNES. In my mind, the ultimate 2D console with so many great games, it's unbelievable. :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
Now, who's played Silent Hill PT ? ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »

That game is mental. Gorgeous looking and scary as shit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »

My brother and I were on it for about 5 hours. We were stuck on the 2nd baby laugh. As most people are.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

I felt like that after doing Little Rocket Man in Episode 2.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

My brother and I were on it for about 5 hours. We were stuck on the 2nd baby laugh. As most people are.

Yeah eventually I just gave up since I had already seen the ending trailer. Noone online seemed to have a consensus on what you need to do at that point, so it might just be random.

The actual game better not play like this though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
The actual game better not play like this though.

They are still deciding if they gonna use 1st or 3rd person (or both).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
Because we all know how first person gameplay worked for the series in the past.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
It's a reboot, different team, anything can happen so, changes may come for better or worse.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »
About 6 years ago, I got really drunk and my N64 ended up in a bonfire. A retro video game store opened near me and I bought a new one a few weeks ago. I can't kind my N64 stash container. I'm missing my rumble pack, my memory cards, my game boy cartridge adapter, and all the most classic games. I have no clue where they could be.  :'(  It's possible I traded/sold them all away, but I don't think I would have been that foolish (says the guy who threw his N64 in a bonfire).

We lost all of our N64 games a while ago, but just recently found most of them again. The only important one that's still missing is Banjo Kazooie, but I recently played that emulated anyway.

We currently have our N64, Gamecube and Xbox 360 still set up in one spot. We also have a Playstation (we've never used it, I don't even know where it came from), PS2, SNES, Mega Drive (Genesis for you US folk), Master System, and an Atari 2600. For portables, we have Gameboy Color, DS, 3DS, Lynx, and we had a Game Gear at one point, but I'm not sure that we still do.

Haha, thanks. I thought so too. ;)

So what's everyone's favorite system? Mine is definitely the SNES. In my mind, the ultimate 2D console with so many great games, it's unbelievable. :tup

I don't know that I could pick a favourite console. SNES had a lot of great games, but the Mega Drive also had many of my favourites. I just love the whole 16 bit era for gaming, especially as 2D platformers are my favourite genre. The N64 would be a contender for me too. Nintendo consoles always have a strong first party library of games.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »
I found my Atari 2600 stuff a few years ago...or should I say what's left of it. Only the console and two controllers (I had about six of them, all different kinds), no power or RF cable, and only three games (no idea how many I had, but it was double digits). I live in hope that the rest of the stuff is buried somewhere but I have my doubts because I can't think of a single reason I'd actually separate all this stuff. :-\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »
I found my Atari 2600 stuff a few years ago...or should I say what's left of it. Only the console and two controllers (I had about six of them, all different kinds), no power or RF cable, and only three games (no idea how many I had, but it was double digits). I live in hope that the rest of the stuff is buried somewhere but I have my doubts because I can't think of a single reason I'd actually separate all this stuff. :-\

We only had a couple of separate games for our Atari, as we had the model with the inbuilt games, and those were plenty. I haven't dug out our Atari in ages, but last time I did, it was all there and hooked up fine.
We had a ton of those old controllers, since those were a standard on many of those older consoles. Our Atari, Master System, and Amiga 500 all used them.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »
We only had a couple of separate games for our Atari, as we had the model with the inbuilt games, and those were plenty. I haven't dug out our Atari in ages, but last time I did, it was all there and hooked up fine.
We had a ton of those old controllers, since those were a standard on many of those older consoles. Our Atari, Master System, and Amiga 500 all used them.
I didn't have inbuilt games, but I had one of those cartridges with multiple games. I believe it was 31 in 1. So overall I had a ton of games for it. :lol

I've been thinking about it since I made that earlier post, this is just what I remember having off the top of my head:

31 in 1
Hero (quite possibly my favourite Atari game)
Kung-Fu Master
Pitfall
Winter Games
Summer Games
River Raid
Combat
Mario Bros.
Ghostbusters
Kangaroo
Centipede or Millipede (can't remember which one I had)
Outlaw

Then there are a few I can't recall the names of. One was one game where you moved around in a maze with another player trying to shoot each other, and another you played as a tube of toothpaste and had to shoot assorted food items (like burgers and doughnuts) before they can rot the teeth lining the top and bottom of the screen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:34 AM »
We had Mario Bros, Winter Games and Ghostbusters on cartridge, and a few of those were inbuilt (being inbuilt, I don't know the names of most of the games, but I recognize some names).
Pitfall was inbuilt, as was River Raid, and Combat. Since they had no names on the console, we made up our own names most of the time. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 04:50:32 AM »
I still need to raid my parents house to see if I can fan our 60 odd games with had for the 2600.  My nephew had the in built games you talked about Blob and I hung out with the 2 nephews and niece and their friends and kicked their asses in every game.  They were blown away.  They didn't know I was once a gamer. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 04:52:53 AM »
I'd take you on. You, me, boxing game!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:27 AM »
Activision of course! :metal

Dude, I'd own you.  I frigging loves Maze Craze and Meglamania.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
Geno-san, I wonder, were you referring to the player perspective in your comment about the game not playing like the 'PT' or the mechanics and puzzles of the game? If it's the latter...you might wanna just stop following the game now.  :lol Hideo Kojima is very, very big on more jarring experiences that toy with the relationship between player and game; breaking the fourth wall, screwing with your actual game experience...these aspects are staples of Kojima's style and if I were a betting man, I'd put nearly all my gil on the idea that this new Silent Hill is going rape the gamer's mind and perspective of what a 'game' is. Dollars to doughnuts, we're gonna have a game of Mantis mind-fucks.

Personally, I'd love it if the game played like PT, except not as tedious and simplistic; but I think that's a given. If we were to get anything like PT, I'd expect and hope that it'd be something far more interactive and deep than just running around. But if they're going down the path I think they are, I'll bet we're in for a real psychologically-fucked treat. I'd also bet that Del Toro is going to wring every ounce of psychological torment out of his psyche since his In The Mouth Of Madness isn't going to happen (anytime soon); I'm sure of it, he pounced on this because he's a man that's got a mind full of ideas and not that many outlets to release them. This is a perfect opportunity to express that in full; and much more in depth than in a movie.

I think this is going to be one of two things: A game-changing, mechanically innovative masterpiece of psychological horror that would make Hitchcock piss his pants; or a completely egotistical mess of garbage. There's no way this is just gonna be middle-of-the-road horror; they're gonna blow their wads on this and what we get is what we get. That's the part that scares me, I'm not even questioning that aspect, it's a fact...these men are TOTALLY into themselves and that can be both a VERY good thing or a complete cataclysmic disaster when put together. It's volatile, to be sure, but that also may be JUST what this series needs. I have complete confidence in them, but then again, I also have complete confidence that their egos will take over. They can either use it or be used. We'll see... I'm still excited, because honestly, no matter what comes, there is zero fucking chance that the series can get any lower. It's pretty much non-existent at this point, in terms of character and staples, story, etc. Basically anything that matters in a game's series. Not just standalone but an overarching theme...that, Silent Hill has lost for over a decade. I think and hope that these are the men to do it. They may also hammer the nail into the coffin.  :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »
Silent Hill 4 was called THE ROOM

And the ghost in PT is called LISA.

The whole series is a concept about how shit Tommy Wiseau's The Room is :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
 :rollin

A true nightmare... :omg:

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »
And lo, fantastic Mario Kart 8 DLC was announced, and the children cried "fuck yes!" and rejoiced.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
^ That looks pretty cool, but even if I had a Wii I don't think I'd pay 8 bucks just to have a character/extras... Eh. Sad when Nintendo is finally caving. I mean, it's not like they haven't had pay-for-DLC before but this is the first time I've seen a HUGE first party title release a pretty equally huge character and that many extras as a paid DLC... *Sigh* Sad. Never expected Ninty to sink. But everyone sinks. It just takes too much effort to tread water, y'know? YOU KNOW.

I just finished The Walking Dead S2 E5 and....my soul has been ripped out; but I really, REALLY want the next season right fucking meow. I did find it a little anticlimactic but I suppose that's because I called that last bit from a mile away. Still didn't make it any less gut wrenching but it was a little less of a WTF moment as opposed to the end of S1 absolutely raping my emotions. Not that I expected this season to even come close to the end of S1 (especially when I realized S1 was made very much as a tour-de-force and intro to the 'real' hero...ine). This was an awesome season and I'm definitely gonna replay this with different choices. It seems the statements in this one were all around much more prominent and the choices (especially that last one) seem to have more of an impact now that they're sure of the game's success and have a view further down the road. Didn't shed a tear for this one but it was still a somber, apocalyptic hell.

Beautiful game series and it's one of the few that is keeping my personal gaming spirit alive. Other than that...the wait for October is shorter and shorter.....*grasps*
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:14:29 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.