Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481465 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4585 on: October 31, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Up until now, I have been doing main quests, secondary quests, and witcher contracts. I will probably just look up which witcher contracts people recommend doing, and otherwise skip those. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying the game, but I think I would enjoy it even more if I trimmed a little fat off my routine.

One more tip for you.

As dull as they are sometimes, you should not completely skip the Witcher gear hunt quests. There is no point in doing them all, unless you want to get everything. Figure out your play style early, and take note in what trees you are putting skill points. Then complete the quest chain only for the Witcher gear that best suits your playstyle.

Rule of thumb is:
Cat School Gear: Light armor with emphasis to Alchemy
Griffin School Gear: Medium armor with emphasis to Signs
Bear School Gear: Heavy armor with emphasis to Combat
Wolf School Gear: Jack of all trades

Witcher gear is leagues better than anything you can buy from vendors, and is going to make all the difference in late game and in the expansions. Alternatively you can just ignore my rambling. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4586 on: October 31, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
I guess I'm the only one hyped af for the 40 minute Smash Bros. presentation tomorrow morning, eh?  :lol This game has been all I've thought about for the last few months. I won't be able to watch until tomorrow afternoon so it's going to be such a loooong day. I'm even going to try to resist going online on my phone to avoid any spoilers.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4587 on: October 31, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
I guess I'm the only one hyped af for the 40 minute Smash Bros. presentation tomorrow morning, eh?  :lol This game has been all I've thought about for the last few months. I won't be able to watch until tomorrow afternoon so it's going to be such a loooong day. I'm even going to try to resist going online on my phone to avoid any spoilers.

I didnt even know about that. Will watch when I get up, if its out Then. Man, so excited for this game.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #4588 on: November 01, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
I haven't been active here for a while, so I may have missed this discussion, but has anyone played Hollow Knight? The soundtrack/sound design is phenomenal, and the game is stupidly fun. All of the free post-launch content is pretty fun too.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4589 on: November 01, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
I haven't been active here for a while, so I may have missed this discussion, but has anyone played Hollow Knight? The soundtrack/sound design is phenomenal, and the game is stupidly fun. All of the free post-launch content is pretty fun too.

I played for a few days and put it down. Its an excellent game. I just got busy and kind of forgot about it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:50:51 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4590 on: November 01, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
I bought it last month. It's a great game, very challenging but in a fun way, the music and visuals are also fantastic. Controls like a dream. I still have so, so much to do and I really need to beat it before Smash comes out otherwise I'll never get it done. It's one of the very few games I've never felt like looking up maps for because it's that fun to explore, but I would save an immense amount of time by just looking up where to go.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4591 on: November 02, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
I agree with on the Witcher 3 point. I think the game does a better job narrating why you need to go get certain things but in the end they are still fetch quests. I think you just end up caring more about the quest because of the writing
Exactly this. I mean, I'd call them "fetch quests" in the sense that they're fairly straightforward, short, and have nothing to do with any of the major story arcs. But what I really did genuinely love in TW3, which wasn't the case in the previous games or indeed any other large-scale open-world game I've played, is that pretty much every single one of those quests has some sort of narrative to it, with characters and cut scenes. That definitely made them much less repetitive and more engaging, such that they didn't feel like fetch quests.

A truly wonderful game.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #4592 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:44 AM »
I agree with on the Witcher 3 point. I think the game does a better job narrating why you need to go get certain things but in the end they are still fetch quests. I think you just end up caring more about the quest because of the writing
Exactly this. I mean, I'd call them "fetch quests" in the sense that they're fairly straightforward, short, and have nothing to do with any of the major story arcs. But what I really did genuinely love in TW3, which wasn't the case in the previous games or indeed any other large-scale open-world game I've played, is that pretty much every single one of those quests has some sort of narrative to it, with characters and cut scenes. That definitely made them much less repetitive and more engaging, such that they didn't feel like fetch quests.

A truly wonderful game.
This. So much this.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4593 on: November 02, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »

A truly wonderful game.

With all the talk about how great this game is, I probably need to reconsider playing it again.  I don't mean replaying it either.  When I bought the game, I barely even started it and got side-tracked.  Haven't played it since.  I'm horrible that way.  I have so many unfinished games it's unbelievable.   :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #4594 on: November 02, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »

A truly wonderful game.

With all the talk about how great this game is, I probably need to reconsider playing it again.  I don't mean replaying it either.  When I bought the game, I barely even started it and got side-tracked.  Haven't played it since.  I'm horrible that way.  I have so many unfinished games it's unbelievable.   :facepalm:

I'm very much the same, I've got a ridiculous backlog of games that I need to get through. The Witcher 3 is one that I got about half way through but then stopped playing for a time. Will go back to it one day though. Got a week off coming up so can catch up on something. :)

I work in gaming as well, so you'd think I'd get burnt out on the damn things.  :P

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4595 on: November 02, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »

A truly wonderful game.

I'm very much the same, I've got a ridiculous backlog of games that I need to get through. The Witcher 3 is one that I got about half way through but then stopped playing for a time. Will go back to it one day though. Got a week off coming up so can catch up on something. :)

I work in gaming as well, so you'd think I'd get burnt out on the damn things.  :P
I also haven't finished it, I think i'm halfway through the storyline or something. Anyway about a year ago I tried to continue from my last checkpoint but honestly I couldn't remember where I was in the main quest, what had happened or anything and apparently I was tangled up in a gazillion sidequests. I just couldn't remember what path and journey I took with my character which felt a bit sad, I actually felt more inclined to do a complete restart but at the time it felt like a chore because I had done so much with my character.
Maybe I'll do a restart someday, right now I also have so many unfinished other games.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4596 on: November 02, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
Is there any benefit or advantages to playing the three Witcher games in sequence, in terms of story/narrative? Or can you pay any of them in any order?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #4597 on: November 02, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »
Is there any benefit or advantages to playing the three Witcher games in sequence, in terms of story/narrative? Or can you pay any of them in any order?

They are all fairly self contained, they'll reference previous ones at points but you're not missing too much by not playing the previous two if you start with the third. Also worth pointing out that the gameplay differs quite a bit between each one as well. The first is fairly clunky, second one a bit more refined and the third pretty much nails it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4598 on: November 02, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »

A truly wonderful game.

I also haven't finished it, I think i'm halfway through the storyline or something. Anyway about a year ago I tried to continue from my last checkpoint but honestly I couldn't remember where I was in the main quest, what had happened or anything and apparently I was tangled up in a gazillion sidequests. I just couldn't remember what path and journey I took with my character which felt a bit sad, I actually felt more inclined to do a complete restart but at the time it felt like a chore because I had done so much with my character.
Maybe I'll do a restart someday, right now I also have so many unfinished other games.  :lol

I had a false start with the Witcher when I first started playing. I played 14 hours then stopped and when I picked it up I had to start over because I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4599 on: November 02, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
I had a false start with the Witcher when I first started playing. I played 14 hours then stopped and when I picked it up I had to start over because I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Damn that is some persistence! That's about 13.5 hours farther than I got before giving up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4600 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:01 AM »

A truly wonderful game.

Exactly same deal for me. Literally reinstalled it last night after a couple years not playing. I didn't get far into it so I am starting from scratch, tutorial and all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4601 on: November 04, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
This awesome long weekend for me has me wiped, but I've got no plans today so I am dedicated to trying to finally win a game of Blackout.  I'm getting better and finished 2nd a few times this week.  I really need this  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4602 on: November 04, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
Two wins and a helicopter down later  :yarr :metal

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1059196638277836800

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4603 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
Return of the Obra Dinn is a very good game if you like doing a lot of detective work

I enjoyed it a lot, tbh

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4604 on: November 08, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Damn, Rockstar really went above and beyond for Red Dead 2. A massive game indeed and I love the degree of interaction with a lot of the NPC's. For example, I just randomly found a camp with a guy asking me to join and he just told a story and left. The game is full of such interactions that make the world feel alive and lived in.

I am now at what I assume to be the beginning of chapter 5 and I am not sure where this is going yet, interesting.

Also, fuck the bayou/marshes  :lol At night it is a minefield of gators and other unpleasantries.

A truly wonderful game.

Exactly same deal for me. Literally reinstalled it last night after a couple years not playing. I didn't get far into it so I am starting from scratch, tutorial and all.

My main advice would be focusing on main quests and quests involving main characters for the initial stretch. There will be plenty of time for exploration and sidestuff. Also, I recall it being relatively easy and cheap to completely respec Geralt through an ingame item, so I wouldn't worry too much about your build.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4605 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
Return of the Obra Dinn is a very good game if you like doing a lot of detective work

I enjoyed it a lot, tbh
Nice, just watched Yahtzee's review and added it to my wishlist  :metal

About a month ago I played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Magnificent, deeply-touching storytelling about mental illness being dragged by ok combat and repetitive puzzles. I'd still heavily recommend it tho, AAA stuff done right and with balls.

Also just finished Little Nightmares last week, was very short, and a little frustrating, but had a very nice and spooky atmosphere. Gonna play through the DLC eventually. By now, I just want to finish The Witness and Hacknet: Labyrinths.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4606 on: November 09, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »
Return of the Obera Dinn sounds like a gameplay concept I'd love but the visual style doesn't look appealing to me, to put it mildly.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4607 on: November 09, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
Return of the Obera Dinn sounds like a gameplay concept I'd love but the visual style doesn't look appealing to me, to put it mildly.
I haven't played the game and i'm not sure I will but I did see this video about it a while ago explaining the visuals and what it's about, interesting concept.

https://youtu.be/AXT_9qs_ft8
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4608 on: November 09, 2018, 01:39:37 PM »
I like the visual style more than most modern big budget games, personally, but sure  :P

The entire game is played in freeze frames anyways, very little animations period

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4609 on: November 12, 2018, 05:54:25 AM »
Damn, Rockstar really went above and beyond for Red Dead 2. A massive game indeed and I love the degree of interaction with a lot of the NPC's. For example, I just randomly found a camp with a guy asking me to join and he just told a story and left. The game is full of such interactions that make the world feel alive and lived in.

I am now at what I assume to be the beginning of chapter 5 and I am not sure where this is going yet, interesting.

Also, fuck the bayou/marshes  :lol At night it is a minefield of gators and other unpleasantries.

Yeah. I'm loving the hell out of this game. It's the first game in a long while where I actually care about the campaign. I've got about 60 hours in so far and should be wrapping up Chapter VI soon.   

My prediction on the post-campaign game play: Arthur is going to die of his illness and we take over after the campaign as John Marston, just like how we took over as his son Jack in the previous game. I'm honestly going to be really freaking pissed if that happens. I've come to really like Arthur. I'm hoping the Natives can help me.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4610 on: November 12, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
All these were qualities of the Redemption 1 and Revolver to a degree. So I can imagine how awesome and magnified all that stuff is with RDR2, so exciting!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4611 on: November 12, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
Last night I finished The Witness. Damn it was frustrating as hell sometimes, and although I get the idea and themes of the game, it felt a little pretentious. But the ending was really nice, and overall I had a great time finding and solving puzzles.

And just now finished Hacknet Labyrinths - damn, that was one hell of an ending. Although it kinda lagged through the middle, doing simple but kinda boring missions, it started and finished in very high notes. Amazing DLC  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4612 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
did you "finish" the witness or like, actually finish it?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4613 on: November 13, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
I got to both endings, but still have the timing challenge pending although I've already watched a gameplay of it plus the movies oops  :cow:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4614 on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »

Yeah. I'm loving the hell out of this game. It's the first game in a long while where I actually care about the campaign. I've got about 60 hours in so far and should be wrapping up Chapter VI soon.   

My prediction on the post-campaign game play: Arthur is going to die of his illness and we take over after the campaign as John Marston, just like how we took over as his son Jack in the previous game. I'm honestly going to be really freaking pissed if that happens. I've come to really like Arthur. I'm hoping the Natives can help me.

I was close.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4615 on: November 15, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
I'm really take my sweet time with RDR2. I'm at around 37% and haven't finished chapter 2 yet. I've been doing challenges and just taking my time with all of the little things that come up. I have a few treasure maps (one of which I relieved someone of) that I may try to decipher. Amazing game and I'm going to milk it for everything it's got.

After I'm done I'm going to play the new Tomb Raider.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4616 on: November 15, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
I keep  a good amount of the challenges/strangers/bounties/easter eggs for either postgame or a early/midgame save return (which I intend to return to for some pure first person gameplay, now I am mainly doing third person). There are some missions I have missed due to story reasons, so a return would also include new content for me.

Anyways, awesome game and I am at about 72% of the story. Now at a point where my focus will go to that.

Also, the completion rate in this game is not actual completion. For example, I "completed" stranger missions but my map is still filled with plenty of them. Same goes for the cards, 100% means one complete set of 12 instead of all 140 or so cards. The game is really rich in content.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4617 on: November 15, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
I wanted to get the campaign over with. I can't wait for online to drop, and I imagine there will be plenty of time to do side stuff in there. But I have a few weeks now where I can just explore the world and interact with everything with the map fully open.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4618 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
Whats the concept for RDR2 online, the same as GTA5 online?  Or are they changing things up?  Are there going to co-op missions like the heists?  Those were so much fun.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4619 on: November 15, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
Whats the concept for RDR2 online, the same as GTA5 online?  Or are they changing things up?  Are there going to co-op missions like the heists?  Those were so much fun.

From what has leaked, it's supposed to be more believable than GTA Online. No flying horses with heat tracking missiles or anything like that. And it actually seems like they are going to heavily discourage just going around and aimlessly murdering people as your only objective. GTA Online had the bounty system where other users could go after reported players for a reward, but this time around, it looks like you can call the law on people. The more players that call the law on you, the more likely you are to have to flee/get killed by them.   

It looks like the world will be living just like in single player. You can do co-op missions with other players or alone, but you'll be able to just travel the map and interact with NPCs and do stuff with them as well. There probably won't be any dead eye feature as I don't think there's a way to resolve the time dilation issue between players. It also looks like you wont be able to lasso other players. All species in single player will be online, and you'll be able to hunt and sell your kills, and have the ability to craft just like in single player.

I'm guessing you'll be able to have different levels of camps just like you could have different levels of apartments in GTA Online. The heists will most definitely be back. I can't wait to rob banks and trains with my buddies in our gang.

I'm really looking forward to it.