Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 483405 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4550 on: October 23, 2018, 03:36:07 AM »

That is true to some extent but I would say most bosses are like puzzles - once you figure it out, it's much easier.
However, be warned that there are certain sections, like the bridge in Anor Londo (fans know what I'm talking about  :lol ) that's just brutal.

Also worth noting - if a boss do indeed feels too hard, it's always an option to summon help. Either an NPC or another player.

Are you talking about when you are trying to get up that bridge with the two knights shooting crap at you? God that pissed me off, but when I finally got passed it, it was pretty satisfying.

And that's how I would describe dark souls in general. Satisfying. I think a lot of people found it "hard" since for so many years, games went toward just button mashing and winning, or over tutorializing and spelling everything out too much. People that go in with a button mashing mindset will definitely get their ass handed to them, but if you focus and are patient with how you attack and defend, its not bad at all. And that's coming from someone that is pretty average at video games.

And the bosses are definitely like a puzzle. There's multiple ways of defeating them and I've adopted a mindset of all is fair in love and dark souls. If I find a way to be successful, I will exploit it. And I am more than happy to summon in people to help out.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4551 on: October 25, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
Looking at reviews for RDR2 it seems R* has hit the jackpot, 10/10 as far as the eyes can see.

Now if they only could announce a PC port, that'd be great!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4552 on: October 25, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »
I know I'm looking forward to it. I have all 100gbs pre-loaded and ready to go. So just a few more hours to go.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4553 on: October 25, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
Yup, I'm ready tonight as well. Never played the first but friends convinced me to buy it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4554 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
Video games have seen some incredible titles launched the last couple years - 2017 and 2018 were insane, RDR2 and Smash Bros. to cap off this year are perfect. 2019 looks to keep that up with Kingdom Hearts III and plenty of others. I haven't seen this many amazing games coming out so fast in a very long time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Polarbear

« Reply #4555 on: October 26, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »
Watched the Easy Allies review, and it made me want to buy it! I'll probably go out and buy it once my next paycheck comes around.

I never played the first one, one of my best friends did back in the day, and it was one of he's favorite games. RDR2 looks incredible. Even the Xbox One S version, which is the "ugliest" version, looks great. I'll be playing on the One S.

Can't wait to dig into this!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4556 on: October 26, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
I woke up an hour early today to test drive RDR2 before work... I have serious blue balls now :(

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4557 on: October 26, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
I woke up an hour early today to test drive RDR2 before work... I have serious blue balls now :(

Lol, that sounds like a terrible idea. I'm going to get no sleep for next couple of months.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4558 on: October 26, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »

Lol, that sounds like a terrible idea. I'm going to get no sleep for next couple of months.

I barely scratched the surface, but first impressions are insanely high. There are already a few things I'd like to see them patch, but the attention to detail is mind numbing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4559 on: October 26, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
I woke up early as well. Started around 6am and was able to play until 8:30am. I'll go for a full deep dive after work.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4560 on: October 27, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
Playing Red Dead as well and goddamn this is something special. I always liked Rockstar titles, but not as much as the typical praise they get. But 5 hours in and thus far this is absolutely fantastic. It has the attention of detail and level of immersion of a Naughty Dog game but in an open world setting. And the game looks sublime. And I like many of the characters.

What I love in comparison to other Rockstar titles is the tone. It is more serious/grounded. I generally like the satire/insanity of their titles, but I prefer this approach to writing and thus far they nailed it, which I wasn't expecting.

This year has been a fantastic year of games thus far for me (God of War, Spider-Man, Detroid, Yakuza Kiwami 2, loved them all, especially God of War. And now this).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4561 on: October 27, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
I picked up Dark Souls 2, since i figured I would complete the collection. MAN, you can really tell that normal souls director was not on this project. I don't know how much further I am going to go with it. Just feels off. 

Regardless, I am Still playing the hell out of Dark souls one. Probably one of my favorite games ever made.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4562 on: October 28, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
Watched my friend stream RDR2 and show off the game to me, looked absolutely amazing and immerse.  As I expected.  I'm jealous of you all playing and enjoying it.  I'm just going to stick with working on getting better at COD Blackout and continue waiting for announcement of RDR2 coming to PC.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4563 on: October 28, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
I watched my brother play for a little while, I need to pick up the game. I would be shocked if it didn't come to PC.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4564 on: October 28, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
continue waiting for announcement of RDR2 coming to PC.
I'm with you, hopefully we won't have to wait in vain but since how successful and profitable GTA V Online was on PC, I have a hard time seeing R* ignoring that platform. Different times now than during the RDR days.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4566 on: October 28, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
Octopath Traveler is the strangest RPG I've played in a long time. None of the stories intersect, so somehow this band of characters is adventuring everywhere with almost no interaction. There's a little talk in the towns, sometimes, but they're one time events and don't mean much. The stories themselves aren't at all interesting either. However everything else about the game is spot on - graphics, music, combat systems, artwork, it's all fantastic. Somehow the story (or lack thereof) is the biggest problem. A full-blown awesome RPG with almost no story. Very odd.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4567 on: October 28, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
One of the YouTube video gamers I watch played that a while back, but I'd never heard of it, so I didn't bother watching any of his playthrough.

And I not to keep coming back to Zelda randomizers (since I am the only one here having a conversation about them) I am about to give up on the Zelda II one. And I just found an Ocarina of Time randomizer! It took some time to figure out how to get it up and running and to understand all the options, but it is finally (hopefully) all set now!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Polarbear

« Reply #4568 on: October 29, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
I said screw payday and picked up RDR2 a couple of days ago. :lol

I'm just a few hours in, past the tutorial area into chapter 2 and I'm already so overwhelmed by this game! It's beautiful, but also so full of different things you can do and different game mechanics. Pay close attention to the tutorial, or you will be as hopelessly lost as I was!

I can totally see how this game would benefit from the mouse+keyboard setup. The controller setup on XB1 is very busy and I was left wandering what different buttons did again..

Haven't had much time to really sink into this, but I can totally see myself sinking 6 months into this game no problem! Incredible game so far! :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4569 on: October 29, 2018, 05:08:30 AM »
Octopath Traveler is the strangest RPG I've played in a long time. None of the stories intersect, so somehow this band of characters is adventuring everywhere with almost no interaction. There's a little talk in the towns, sometimes, but they're one time events and don't mean much. The stories themselves aren't at all interesting either. However everything else about the game is spot on - graphics, music, combat systems, artwork, it's all fantastic. Somehow the story (or lack thereof) is the biggest problem. A full-blown awesome RPG with almost no story. Very odd.

It's not my style of game but it's a really pretty game.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4570 on: October 29, 2018, 06:31:15 AM »
Saturday was cold and rainy, and perfect conditions for a couch day. I sunk about 14 hours into RDR2.

This game truly is something else. The world is beautiful. The wildlife is plentiful and convincing. I somehow find myself caring about my horse and keeping a good rep. Early on in the game when I was still committing the controls to muscle memory, I accidentally killed a whole bunch of people in the streets in Saint Dennis. I accidentally trampled a guy with my horse, and when I tried to engage the witnesses to defuse the situation, I shot one of them in the face instead. Then a gun fight broke out and I killed a few lawmen trying to escape. Now I have a $475 bounty there  :-\ 

I'm trying to upgrade everything in my camp as quick as I can, so I've been doing bounty poster missions and just donating all that money to the camp and my people. I'm having a blast just going out an hunting and bringing that food back to camp. I had concerns about having to do activities like eat to maintain health levels, since that's my #1 complaint with GTA San Andreas, but this game seems to have found a great balance of that.

I am actually very annoyed with how you can lose your hat. I can never keep one on so I just stopped wearing one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:17:10 AM by Chino »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4571 on: October 29, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
I will definitely play RDR2 next year. I have heard nothing but good things. However, I must first beat Witcher 3.

On that note: Many people have told me that Witcher 3 avoids falling into the common traps of open-world games. Specifically, pointless fetch quests. However, while I am really enjoying the game, I have noticed a lot of the same meandering and errand running that sometimes annoys me about open-world games. Still a phenomenal game, just not as revolutionary as people made it out to be. This is all in my humble opinion, of course!

For those who have played Witcher 3: Do you agree with me, or do you think that I am underselling its superiority to other open-world titles?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4572 on: October 29, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
I agree with on the Witcher 3 point. I think the game does a better job narrating why you need to go get certain things but in the end they are still fetch quests. I think you just end up caring more about the quest because of the writing

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4573 on: October 29, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Witcher 3 is a damn good game, but it didn't turn my world upside down or anything (such as something like GTA III did back in the day).

And this is specifically for me, but witcher 3 makes me dizzy and disoriented in how it controls, especially when you go into witcher vision, but that's just me. Its got kind of a loose, floaty feel. That's my one nit pick. The rest is pretty damn good.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #4574 on: October 29, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
Glad to see I'm not crazy! Or perhaps we're just all crazy... Either way, I'm not alone. Oh, and I agree that Geralt feels very floaty, especially while jumping.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4575 on: October 29, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
Anyone buy a game after already sinking a ton of time into another version of it? 'cause I just bought Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. I've now owned every version of the game, and have already put 300+ hours into it... oh boy. Time to do it again...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4576 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
I will definitely play RDR2 next year. I have heard nothing but good things. However, I must first beat Witcher 3.

On that note: Many people have told me that Witcher 3 avoids falling into the common traps of open-world games. Specifically, pointless fetch quests. However, while I am really enjoying the game, I have noticed a lot of the same meandering and errand running that sometimes annoys me about open-world games. Still a phenomenal game, just not as revolutionary as people made it out to be. This is all in my humble opinion, of course!

For those who have played Witcher 3: Do you agree with me, or do you think that I am underselling its superiority to other open-world titles?

To me, it is a sum of it's parts. I think the Witcher 3 is fantastic in terms of storyline/quests in terms of open world titles. A lot of choices matter, even in the optional companion quests. Furthermore, there are side quests (completely seperate from the main story) that even take into account choices made in previous unrelated side quests. Same goes for item usage, for example that item that allows you to see ghosts. In most games, such a mechanic would be abused throughout the game, rendering it "gamey", but in the Witcher 3 it has it's use somewhere else where it makes sense in the narrative. It feels organic to me in a way. But it are a lot of small factors that make it stand out to me, not a single large deviation that is easy to put into words, if that makes sense.

Furthermore, I think the world design is fantastic. The map makes sense geographically. For example, Novigrad is not just an extremely well designed city, the area surrounding it also makes sense (farms, poor folks, soldiers on patrol, lower to no enemy count etc.). Overall, I think it was a wise decision to create several separate maps, instead of one. It makes the game feel more like a grand journey (if you stick to the narrative's locations, especially early on). The game also has plenty of linear sections not accessible via the open world, it knows when to be open world or not. Some of the highlights of the Witcher 3 for me where some of the linear main missions.

Offcourse there are a lot of "fetch" quests, but to be honest I feel that is just part of the genre and I am not sure how a game like this would even be without them (it kind of is how life works in general). What I do think is that you should never do a lot of the small sidequests. They are there for if you need a bit of xp or if you want to space the game out, but the smaller quests are typical RPG fare. But even those frequently feature a narrative (most notably the Witcher duties, which make sense for Geralt to actually do). I recently played Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assassins Creed: Syndicate, and Final Fantasy XV and the regular sidequests are horrible compared to The Witcher 3.

And the DLC's are amazing btw.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4577 on: October 30, 2018, 06:32:58 AM »
While playing RDR2 last night, I was out roaming around in the middle of the night and saw a glow up in some mountains. I went and checked it out and there wasn't really a campsite, but just a small fire with a dude sleeping next to it. I got closer and realized the guy was wearing prison clothes. I hog tied him, threw him on my horse and road back to the nearest town. I carried him into the sheriff's station and got a $40 reward  :lol

Online Polarbear

« Reply #4578 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »

I love TW3, and I think that quest design is fantastic for the most part. Wiping out monster nest's can get pretty repetitive, and those treasure hunt quests for witcher gear are sometimes quite dull. Main questss are brilliant, side quests are too 2 times out of 3. Monster contracts are a mixed bag, there are some unforgettable ones, and some not so much.

I think my favorite side quest of any game is "The Last Wish" in Skellige. It brilliantly recaps Geralt's and Yen's backstory, has some detective work, and results in a battle with a cool creature. I'm planning to play The Witcher again once I have finished RDR2

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #4579 on: October 31, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Up until now, I have been doing main quests, secondary quests, and witcher contracts. I will probably just look up which witcher contracts people recommend doing, and otherwise skip those. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying the game, but I think I would enjoy it even more if I trimmed a little fat off my routine.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4580 on: October 31, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
While playing RDR2 last night, I was out roaming around in the middle of the night and saw a glow up in some mountains. I went and checked it out and there wasn't really a campsite, but just a small fire with a dude sleeping next to it. I got closer and realized the guy was wearing prison clothes. I hog tied him, threw him on my horse and road back to the nearest town. I carried him into the sheriff's station and got a $40 reward  :lol

It's really those little details that set this game apart from anything I've played. I woke up in camp and it was thundering and cloudy and as I walked to the cliff to see the lay of the land the sun broke through the clouds and slowly spread across the land. One of the most beautiful things I've seen in a game. There is so much to do and see that I'm forcing my self to take my time and play organically as possible. Typically I'll tend to plan out what I'm going to do far in advance. With this I'm just going to pick a waypoint and head there knowing that multiple things are going to pop up.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4581 on: October 31, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »

It's really those little details that set this game apart from anything I've played. I woke up in camp and it was thundering and cloudy and as I walked to the cliff to see the lay of the land the sun broke through the clouds and slowly spread across the land. One of the most beautiful things I've seen in a game. There is so much to do and see that I'm forcing my self to take my time and play organically as possible. Typically I'll tend to plan out what I'm going to do far in advance. With this I'm just going to pick a waypoint and head there knowing that multiple things are going to pop up.

I know it's not really the point of the game, but I can't get over the wildlife in this game. I just like hanging out in it. I was in a swampy area last night and managed to dead-eye a bird out of the sky. It fell into the water, and as I ran toward it, a fucking gator head comes out of the water and devours my kill  :lol

The hit boxes in this game are amazing as well. I shot a guy last night just above his head. It took his hat clean off but he stayed standing. After killing him, I put his hat on and there was both an entrance and an exit hole in it where my bullet passed through.   

Sidebar: Do you know where to get more arrows? I go into gun stores, and while they have bows and arrows on display, I can't seem to buy any.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4582 on: October 31, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
That attention to detail is insane.  I'm pretty jealous of you all enjoying it.

Last weekend my gf came over while I was gaming and she scared the shit out of me since I was so focused, my webcam was recording so it captured it all  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1057415942253219840

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #4583 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »

I know it's not really the point of the game, but I can't get over the wildlife in this game. I just like hanging out in it. I was in a swampy area last night and managed to dead-eye a bird out of the sky. It fell into the water, and as I ran toward it, a fucking gator head comes out of the water and devours my kill  :lol

The hit boxes in this game are amazing as well. I shot a guy last night just above his head. It took his hat clean off but he stayed standing. After killing him, I put his hat on and there was both an entrance and an exit hole in it where my bullet passed through.   

Sidebar: Do you know where to get more arrows? I go into gun stores, and while they have bows and arrows on display, I can't seem to buy any.

Go to the catalogue, then to ammunition and it should be on the final page in that menu. :)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4584 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
Thanks! I'll be shocked if I actually missed that.

Anyways, I really hope they give us a way to buy a carriage. I want to take it hunting so I can load up a dozen carcasses at a time.