Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479181 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #4375 on: August 08, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
This Smash Bros. Ultimate is going to be absolutely bonkers. That new direct revealed several new characters and one I've been clamoring for forever. Like, since well before Brawl. I am going to be one happy dude when this game finally is in my hands.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4376 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
Been playing alot of No Man's Sky lately. They updated the game quite a bit and it's fun playing with friends. Even though it's handy that you always spawn in the same system as the host friend it's also annoying that you leave the system you visited when playing solo. The journey to find eachother would have been fun even though the universe is pretty much endless. Atleast give an option to spawn near friends or at the last location.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4377 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
That sounds annoying, our work gamers chatroom has been loving the update to NMS.  Sounds like they finally made the game they advertised. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4378 on: August 08, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
Yea it's alot more fleshed out both in terms of graphics and gameplay. I enjoy it more than before but it's not without it's fair share of bugs, atleast they seem to role out patches in a steady pace.  :tup

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4379 on: August 08, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
This Smash Bros. Ultimate is going to be absolutely bonkers. That new direct revealed several new characters and one I've been clamoring for forever. Like, since well before Brawl. I am going to be one happy dude when this game finally is in my hands.

I hope this doesn't stray into Mortal kombat trilogy territory, where its got the novelty of a MILLION characters, but is ultimately bloated and unbalanced. Bigger isn't necessarily better. I shall remain hopeful, We shall see.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4380 on: August 09, 2018, 05:48:03 AM »
Red Dead Redemption 2 game play video drops at 11am EST today  :metal This is the first game I've truly been excited for since GTA-V's release. I can't freaking wait.

I was reading an interview yesterday that said they opted to go with a smaller map in order to make the most immersive, interactive, detailed world they could squeeze out of this gen of consoles.

If you've got a couple minutes free, this is a great read and sounds really promising.
https://wccftech.com/red-dead-redemption-2-open-world/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:53:07 AM by Chino »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4381 on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:51 AM »
Nice. I am very excited to see this trailer. Red dead is awesome.

And I am happy they went for the smaller map. I like the more detail and interactivity aspect, over just size.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4382 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:31 AM »
Nice. I am very excited to see this trailer. Red dead is awesome.

And I am happy they went for the smaller map. I like the more detail and interactivity aspect, over just size.

I agree! I'm debating watching this today. I really want to go into this with knowing as little as possible.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4383 on: August 09, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

I hope this doesn't stray into Mortal kombat trilogy territory, where its got the novelty of a MILLION characters, but is ultimately bloated and unbalanced. Bigger isn't necessarily better. I shall remain hopeful, We shall see.

I don't think there's any reason to worry. For one, they've marked the 'clones' as echo fighters and none of them have their own character slots (you can swap the main character with the echo fighter at the press of a button), and most of the characters already do play differently. I think the only thing to worry about is the number of sword users. Tons of Fire Emblem characters (now you have Chrom in the mix), and along with Toon Link and Link, Young Link has come back. I was really, really hoping for maybe an axe or spear user from Fire Emblem, I dislike that we now have a third blue-haired sword user.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4384 on: August 09, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Red Dead Redemption 2 is looking pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4385 on: August 09, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Just watched the trailer too. Looks awesome. Will be picking up day one.  :metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4386 on: August 09, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »
I replayed Red Dead Redemption last year and, while I enjoyed it, it didn't blow me away like it did the first time. For whatever reason, Rockstar games have never connected with me like they seem to everyone else. Just a personal preference, I suppose, but I am still excited for the sequel.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4387 on: August 09, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
I just watched the trailer and wow that looks awesome.  Sadly I'll be waiting a lot longer than you PS players.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: August 09, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
Coming soon: Red Dead Online, in which they'll give all the updates in the world for it and not release any single player DLC.

No, I'm not at all salty about GTA 5, why do you ask?  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4389 on: August 09, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Coming soon: Red Dead Online, in which they'll give all the updates in the world for it and not release any single player DLC.

No, I'm not at all salty about GTA 5, why do you ask?  :lol

I would be completely content if the next GTA was Online only  :rollin 

I can't wait to see what's in store for RDR-Online

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4390 on: August 09, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
I just watched the trailer and wow that looks awesome.  Sadly I'll be waiting a lot longer than you PS players.

Idk how you PC guys do it. I'd be tempted to just pick up a used PS4 just to hold me over.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4391 on: August 09, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
PC has no shortage of games, that's how  :lol

Hell I'm already backlogged so badly I can't even pick up Monster Hunter World for the next few months... sigh

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4392 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
I learned my lesson.  For GTAV I was so excited that I made a deal with a coworker, he'd let me borrow his PS3 and in return when I finished GTAV, I would give the PS3 back and let him keep the game.  I played and enjoyed it, but hell was GTA Online a complete disaster.  Felt like it hardly worked.  When it was released for PC, it was SUCH a better game that I wish I had just waited and played the better version.  For one the graphics were significantly better and online actually worked perfectly.  I'm going to guess that RR2 might not be as bad as it's not being designed for an older system so shouldn't be as huge of an upgrade from PS3 to PC, but I still expect it to be a better experience and not worth the hassle just to play it quicker.  There's plenty of other PC games available to hold me over. 

I also ended up buying that PS3 and then later selling it as I never played it.  My xbox one has a ton of dust on it.  I don't think I touched it in 3 years.  I have no desire to play the console wars game anymore when PC is just such a better experience.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4393 on: August 09, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
GTA Online was GARBAGE when it first came out. I think they even shut it down for close to a month to fix a bunch of stuff. It took about a year longer than it should have, but they eventually nailed it. I consider GTA-Online to be one of the greatest accomplishments in gaming history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4394 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
GTA Online was GARBAGE when it first came out. I think they even shut it down for close to a month to fix a bunch of stuff. It took about a year longer than it should have, but they eventually nailed it. I consider GTA-Online to be one of the greatest accomplishments in gaming history.

We are polar opposites in that regard. I despise GTA Online for many reasons, not least of which being how it's shown how RockStar would rather chase the $$$ and pander exclusively to the online side of the game instead of investing in some more single-player content. I loathe online/multiplayer especially when it invades a traditionally single-player experience. :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4395 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Yea, my brother has recently got back into it.  It's a great online experience IMO.  I wonder how well RR2 online will be and what gameplay options there will be.  I know I saw they will have a BR mode, which will be interesting.  I never found the GTA online death matches any fun, it was all about doing the heists.  If they add more heists to RR2 online, it will be glorious.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4396 on: August 09, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »

We are polar opposites in that regard. I despise GTA Online for many reasons, not least of which being how it's shown how RockStar would rather chase the $$$ and pander exclusively to the online side of the game instead of investing in some more single-player content. I loathe online/multiplayer especially when it invades a traditionally single-player experience. :(

But they're two completely different experiences that are entirely independent of one another. You can enjoy the campaign without any influence from Online, and you can enjoy hundreds of hours online without ever having to touch the campaign.

Besides not getting single player DLC because Rockstar wanted something more profitable, what don't you like about Online? The only real complaint I have is that there isn't a "mute all" option in the player menu.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4397 on: August 09, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Im getting the feeling that no single player DLC was released was why he didn't like online because online is still getting new content.  I think that does kind of suck though, I felt past GTA's always had great single player DLC.  I would have bought a new storyline DLC.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4398 on: August 09, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
But they're two completely different experiences that are entirely independent of one another. You can enjoy the campaign without any influence from Online, and you can enjoy hundreds of hours online without ever having to touch the campaign.

I greatly appreciate that there is 0 influence from the Online game in the single player campaign. I'm in full agreement with you there. :)

Besides not getting single player DLC because Rockstar wanted something more profitable, what don't you like about Online? The only real complaint I have is that there isn't a "mute all" option in the player menu.

Honestly, I don't like multiplayer games in general, and I stopped playing online games years ago (I only played MMORPGs, and the occasional Team Fortress 2). But I tried playing, and it's just super cumbersome to me, I don't like anything about the design, it feels almost like an MMO but not quite up to that. It also heavily persuades people to play in groups and I just don't like that because it gates off content for people who just want to do stuff alone but want to participate in a 'living' world with other humans playing alongside them. The other is, of course, Rockstar ignoring the single player game to chase the money in the online world (two words: shark cards...).

Also, they did promise single player DLC which I was so hyped about, then they just quietly pushed it away, and then denied ever saying it was coming, so I'm still salty about that. :(

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4399 on: August 09, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
Gave in and watched the Red Dead trailer. I didn't think I could be more excited for this. I don't remember anticipating a game as much as Red Dead 2. Glad I upgraded to the Xbox One X because this looks like it's going to be one of the best looking games yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: August 09, 2018, 09:02:26 PM »
The trailer looked incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm going to replay red dead sometime soon.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4401 on: August 10, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #4402 on: August 10, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
I'm probably going to be buying a switch at the end of the month. I'm a little disappointed that they got rid of the virtual store though. I loved the idea of buying older nintendo games and taking them on the go with me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4403 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
I'm probably going to be buying a switch at the end of the month. I'm a little disappointed that they got rid of the virtual store though. I loved the idea of buying older nintendo games and taking them on the go with me.

I'm pretty pissed they got rid of it. Its the perfect platform for classic games and I would have spent Mad $$$ on a bunch of games if it was available.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4404 on: August 10, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Why would they get rid of something that basically prints money?

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #4405 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
the only thing i can think of is that they're trying to push those mini classic consoles

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4406 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Either that or they're switching to streaming-based legacy gaming. Pay a flat fee per month and have access to Nintendo's entire library.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4407 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Pretty much both of those are right on the money. They'd cannibalize their sales if they put SNES games on the Switch while also releasing the SNES classic.

I emulate the shit anyway so whatever. I've bought Super Mario World like 5 times already

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #4408 on: August 10, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
does anyone know how well those mini consoles have been selling? i'd be curious if they would consider putting a virtual console like system on the switch if sales were down. that of course is assuming that the switch would have a long enough console life for that sort of market trend

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4409 on: August 10, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »
does anyone know how well those mini consoles have been selling? i'd be curious if they would consider putting a virtual console like system on the switch if sales were down. that of course is assuming that the switch would have a long enough console life for that sort of market trend

They've been selling very well; even with increased production both the NES and SNES are selling super well. Believe it or not, this year, the NES Classic was the best selling console of June.