Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479442 times)

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3920 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
I left myself in the dark for any details about the latest Breath of the Wild DLC but I burst out laughing when I received the reward for beating it. So absurd but I sort of love it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3921 on: December 31, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
So, I am not a current gen gamer (I am still on Wii, and PC games from 5 years ago), and I thought DLC-type stuff was the bane of the gamer's existence. But people are lauding BotW's DLC like it's the greatest thing since the NES. What's up?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3922 on: December 31, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
So, I am not a current gen gamer (I am still on Wii, and PC games from 5 years ago), and I thought DLC-type stuff was the bane of the gamer's existence. But people are lauding BotW's DLC like it's the greatest thing since the NES. What's up?

I don't mind DLC at all if the base game isn't clearly designed so that there is an empty/useless part of the game intentionally waiting to be filled with DLC. I like a game that can stand on its own without the DLC, but the DLC is a nice way to just keep adding new things to that already complete game. The Zelda DLC isn't the greatest thing ever (the first part is not as substantial as the second), but I like it because it adds a lot of new stuff, in 2 separate DLC packages, for only $20, yet it doesn't feel like the game is incomplete without it. It still feels like a fully developed world not unlike games prior to the DLC explosion where you wouldn't have to worry about developers intentionally removing things they can charge for a few months down the road.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3923 on: December 31, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
That makes sense. I've never played a game with DLC and if I stick to my typical schedule will be getting the Switch sometime in 2019.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3924 on: December 31, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Not all DLC's are created equal. There are some that can be straight money grabs and others will really extend the story of the game.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3925 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
Yeah. Like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has DLC I'm debating getting, but I'm only halfway through the story and I've got 62 hours clocked right now. (though a lot of that is doing stuff outside the main story) So whatever it is I'm sure it'll be worth it, the game's already packed to the brim with content.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3926 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Not all DLC's are created equal. There are some that can be straight money grabs and others will really extend the story of the game.

This reminds me of one of the most egregious examples of DLC that I've personally experienced and it's one of the types of DLC that people absolutely loathe and that is Day One DLC. The game this happened to me with was Tiger Woods 12 which was The Masters one and I was enjoying the career mode until I discovered that about half of the tournaments in the game required courses that were DLC only. Why this is an issue is because in order to progress completely in the career mode you need to compete in and hopefully win tournaments to get higher stats, sponsors, etc and if you just bought the disc by itself like I did you're ultimately screwed unless you fork over another $20-30 to buy courses that should've been included in the disc from the get go. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: December 31, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
See that’s a bunch of bulllshit. I’m ok with DLC if it’s akin a what expansion packs were back in the day. For example bioshock infinite had great dlc, adding a nice new mini story to an already great game.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3928 on: December 31, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
I'm replaying Breath Of The Wild, the difference being that this time is on Switch and now I have the DLC. I have to say, getting Majora's Mask right after the tutorial part reeaaally trivializes some parts of the game.

First time trying to get to Zora's Domain on Wii U: "OH GOD THIS SUCKS WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE THUNDER ARROWS OH GOD NO"
Second time on Switch with Majora's Mask equipped: "?La la laaaa, skipping through the meadows!? Why hello, Lizalfos, don't mind me, I'm just having a merry stroll through Zora country."

Trial of the Sword is kicking my ass though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3929 on: January 03, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
Majora's Mask was such a help early on in master mode.

Mario + Rabbids is so damn fun. Wow. I can't recommend this enough. It demands a lot more strategy than I expected, and that's a good thing. The worlds are all beautifully crafted with so much to look at and fun puzzles to do between battles (never takes very long to get from one to the next). And the Rabbids are actually pretty funny. I haven't been able to put it down since I bought it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3930 on: January 03, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
I'm replaying Breath Of The Wild, the difference being that this time is on Switch and now I have the DLC. I have to say, getting Majora's Mask right after the tutorial part reeaaally trivializes some parts of the game.

First time trying to get to Zora's Domain on Wii U: "OH GOD THIS SUCKS WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE THUNDER ARROWS OH GOD NO"
Second time on Switch with Majora's Mask equipped: "?La la laaaa, skipping through the meadows!? Why hello, Lizalfos, don't mind me, I'm just having a merry stroll through Zora country."

Trial of the Sword is kicking my ass though.

Haha getting to Zoras Domain was a piece of cake. Found some spots I was able to climb and fly across too. Only saw like 3 Lizalfos with Thunder Arrows. I don't have Majoras Mask either, haven't bought the DLC yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3931 on: January 06, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
What's everyone's Top 5 favorite games?

Mine are:

1. Final fantasy 7
2. SW knights of the old republic
3. Elder scrolls 3 morrowind
4. Zelda: Ocarina of time
5. Half life 2

** Honorable mentions - Mass effect 2, Jedi Outcast, Persona 5, Metal gear solid

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3932 on: January 06, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
In no particular order:

Tribes 2
Mario Kart 64
Skyrim
Bioshock Infinate
Braid

Braid could be switched out for a few games though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3933 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
Across platform that is pretty tough. I did my Top whatever list a while back, and while I know what #1 was, I couldn't swear to #s 2-5.

A Link to the Past
Metroid Prime
The Pandora Directive
Knights of the Old Republic
<A Mario Game> Don't make me pick which one

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3934 on: January 06, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
1. Arma 3
2. Skyrim
3. Tomb Raider (1996)
4. Half Life
5. Battlefield 3
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3935 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:03 AM »
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil 4
Shenmue

Get all those onto the Switch and I'll be a happy boy

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: January 07, 2018, 06:16:10 AM »
I fired Skyrim up last week again and I don't what it is about that game but it is fun no matter how many times I play it. The world feels so alive.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3937 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »
What's everyone's Top 5 favorite games?

1. Interstate 76
2. Half Life 2
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Dishonored
5. Baldur's Gate
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3938 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »
Along with that question, what's your 5 most played games on steam?

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3939 on: January 07, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »
Can't check this second but I think my top 5 played Steam games are Terraria, GTA 5, The Last Remnant, Skyrim, and... I dunno what the last could be. I think all of those have at least 200 hours in them

Top 5 all time:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Pokemon Red/Blue
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3940 on: January 07, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
Five is hard. 

Ultima (maybe 5, maybe 6, maybe the epic 7 with add-ons).
Bioshock I and II for certain
System Shock (LOVED that game)
Batman: Arkham City
Maybe Assassin's Creed (not sure which one; I haven't played all of them yet)
Don't laugh; I'm a HUGE fan of the LEGO games; favorite is still probably the Star Wars saga, though the Batman ones are close.  I'm right now polishing off the Harry Potter ones (now that I read the book about six months ago, finally).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3941 on: January 07, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Five is hard. 

Ultima (maybe 5, maybe 6, maybe the epic 7 with add-ons).
Bioshock I and II for certain
System Shock (LOVED that game)
Maybe Assassin's Creed (not sure which one; I haven't played all of them yet)
Don't laugh; I'm a HUGE fan of the LEGO games; favorite is still probably the Star Wars saga, though the Batman ones are close.  I'm right now polishing off the Harry Potter ones (now that I read the book about six months ago, finally).

I find it funny that 3 of my favorites are 20-25 years old and only 2 of yours are similarly old :) I only had a PS3 for about a year but Arkham City was definitely one of the most fun games I played on it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3942 on: January 08, 2018, 07:09:15 AM »
Saved before the final boss in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last night, this was my playtime: https://s9.postimg.org/6cfrn7sa7/0101010.jpg - 100 hours and 1 second. Nice.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3943 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:43 AM »
In no particular order;

1) Tony Hawk Pro Skater (first one)
2) GTA Vice City
3) GTA V
4) Gran Turismo 3
5) Red Dead Redemption (I think).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3944 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
I did Top 25 a while back... not sure it would be the same today. The list is pretty fluid. I love so many games, and usually I play just about every game in a particular series, so I'm just going to list SERIES, and then a few of my favorites from that series (note that most of my favorites are NES classics that turned into huge franchises):

Mega Man/Mega Man X (1-3, 6, 8-10, X1-4 are all money)
The Legend of Zelda (Zelda 1, Adventure of Link, Wind Waker, & Breath of the Wild are tops for me)
Final Fantasy (I, V, VI, VIII, XIII, & XV are my favorites)
Metroid (Original, Super, & Prime are my favorites)
Super Mario Bros (1, 3, World, & Galaxy are favorites)

...and Chrono Trigger to round out the list
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3945 on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:25 AM »
This was really hard, but off the top of my head.

Mass Effect
Mario 64
Red Dead Redemption
SKyrim

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3946 on: January 08, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
I did a top 25 here awhile back and forgot how i listed it, but it was something like:

Super Mario 64
GTA 4
Mario Kart 64
Battlefield 3
One of the Batman Arkham games

but I would have to say, my obsession with PUBG would have to lead me to rank it really highly with my top all time games.  Not sure where exactly, but given the amount of hours played, it would have to be somewhat high up.

I have started to try to move away from PUBG though.  Some friends convinced me to try out early access game Conan Exiles.  I've never really been into these survival MMO type of games.  I'm not loving it, but I do enjoy it a bit.  It's fun to play with friends and the world is so big to explore, but there's just not a whole lot to do beside play "adult minecraft" as my friends have called it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3947 on: January 08, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
You rank GTA IV higher than V? I felt V was superior in just about every way, especially once the remaster dropped.

What's with that PUBG game? I've seen it mentioned a lot on the internet lately. Having never played it, it just looks like your run of the mill shooter from the footage I've seen. What makes it so special? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:11 AM »
I really enjoyed the single player in GTA4, I think it had to do with it being the NYC location and essentially feeling like my normal life in a way.  GTA5 was definitely a better game, but I enjoyed 4 more on a personal level.

PUBG is not at all like a generic shooter, other than the fact that you do have to shoot people to win.  The game is simple, 100 people board a plane flying over an island and you get to jump out when you want and the last one to survive on the island wins (everything is random, including choice of 2 islands, plane trajectory and play zone locations).  Everyone starts with nothing and the play area on the island shrinks over time forcing people to fight.  If you win, game could take about 35 minutes, or you could die in the first minute.  Gets the heat going.  Add in proximity voice chat and you get some really fun stuff going on.  Also can be played in teams up to 4 people which is probably the most enjoyable way to play.  It is on PC and now xbox 1, but they said it will eventually be on PS4.

One of my winning PUBG videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-dVT5L3Qdw

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3949 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:18 AM »
I'm sad GTA 5 didn't carry over the detailed damage to vehicles. That was one of my favorite things about GTA IV even if it's just a small cosmetic touch.

I may have to check out PUBG if only because one of my friends finally got a gaming PC so I now have a local guy I can play with! It sounds really fun.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
My pubg friends aren't local  :lol  I'm cramx3 on steam if you ever want to play.  We won two games in a row this weekend.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3951 on: January 08, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
My pubg friends aren't local  :lol  I'm cramx3 on steam if you ever want to play.  We won two games in a row this weekend.

Awesome. I'm rarely on my PC these days thanks to my Switch but next time I fire it up I'll check it out and send you a friend request :)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3952 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
I had to think this harder than i thought!

1. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
2. Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt
3. Mass Effect
4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
5. Metroid Prime

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #3953 on: January 08, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
In no order:

The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
Ocarina of Time
Sid Meier's Sim Golf (must have played hundreds of hours when I was a kid)
COD: World at War. There are better games, yes, but this was my first online gaming experience. Played for years with a squad of friends.

I've been playing a lot (read: too much) of Fortnite lately, and I must say I haven't had this much fun playing a multiplayer since World at War.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3954 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »
I keep having to look up "PUBG." That is just a weird acronym to me.