Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 482445 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3710 on: October 30, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Only got about 30 minutes into Mario and am loving it like everyone else. I too will be 100% this. It looks like there are around 860 moons to get?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3711 on: October 30, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Man I am loving the hell out of AC: Origins. I know the series is always polarizing and the Ubisoft hate has literally become a meme now but I've never been a huge fan of the series. Played a good 30 hours of Black Flag and that is the only game I've played more than an hour of. So to say I'm a light fan is an understatement, which perhaps gives me a fresher perspective and experience with the game considering I'm sure they're all extremely similar. But this one is a true joy to play both in the combat regard, stealth (which has come a long way since the first of "I pop my head around the corner and ten guards buttfuck me immediately") and most of all, ten fold so, the exploration. This is such a huge world and yet the vast majority of it is so much more detailed than I thought it'd be considering deserts aren't know for their detail.

There's the usual open world antics. I'll run into an NPC that says the same thing five times in a row in less than five minutes; someone's leg with start dancing on its own and looking like its having a seizure randomly; I can't climb some rocks that are totally climbable but will be able to scale a 90 degree, totally flat surface; and while the combat is vastly improved over the basically brain-dead combat of previous entries (in that I could kill everyone with ease if I actually was brain dead), it needs refinement.

Overall though, if they keep this up and take the time that they took to make this game when they inevitably cash in on the much wanted Feudal Japan version of the series, that kind of game would suck up hundreds of hours of my time. This is very close to that and I think, if the quality of the production and story stay, I'll actually finish a game for once.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3712 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
Been playing Deus Ex (with the GMDX mod for graphics) quite a bit, and am pleased by how well it has aged. Great so far.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
I just started Deus Ex Human Revolution. Really enjoyed Deus Ex when I played it years ago - albeit when I was single and childless and had a ton of free time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3714 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
So I feel like this will go down as one of the all time great video game songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhciLj5VzOk

The festival in New Donk City with this playing gave me goosebumps. Might be the single best moment in the whole game, it's just a love letter to Mario's history and it's beautiful.

Absolutely. I remember finishing it, pausing for a second after you get back to the ship, and just thinking "Damn, that was really well executed".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3715 on: October 30, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
Sorry if I'm taking over, but I really wanted to share a few snapshots I've taken in Mario because it really shows off just how freaking beautiful this game is, even if you aren't a Nintendo fan the game just oozes pretty visuals. I've downsized them to make them easier to look at here.

Okay I'll shut up for a while, but every game really needs a snapshot mode like this and Shadow of Mordor!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3716 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »
That is awesome. I really want to play this.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3717 on: October 31, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
Mario is going to destroy my life.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: October 31, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
I took so many other amazing photos last night  :lol I beat the final boss and let me just say that is the best final boss fight/post-fight section Mario has ever had. Ever. And it's amazing how the worlds seem to fully open after you beat the game. That's how you do progression...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3719 on: October 31, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
I'm on like 360 moons, not sure how much more I'll do. Also what was with that Skyrim boss out of nowhere? Very strange

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3720 on: November 02, 2017, 04:15:35 AM »
Right, after waiting almost a week in hope of a good patch to fix the problems and reading a ton of complaints from around the world about the game on PC, I decided to send Wolfenstein 2 back and get a refund, at least until the fix all the bugs. Shame, but I don't pay almost 60 euro's for a game that I haven't been able to play for one nano-second.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: November 02, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
That sucks Cyclops. I was hoping to play the first one this weekend.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3722 on: November 02, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
I just found out that Dishonored 2 has a DLC that's been available since Sept 15th. The title is kind of a spoiler: The Death of the Outsider. Has anyone given this a whirl?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
Since I have 2 kids, a lame job, and a budget, I won't be getting a Switch for a while. But this talk of Mario Odyssey inspired me to buy a copy of Galaxy 2. I liked the first Galaxy, but didn't' love it. I am only 7 Stars in to this one, and am enjoying noticeably more than I remember enjoying the first.

On topic of Odyssey, three of the video game based YouTubers I follow, one gave it rave reviews, one gave it 8/10, and the third said it was a "good Mario game." Not exactly the ringing endorsements I was anticipating. They were all more effusive in their praise for Breath of the Wild.

6 year old daughter is fascinated by me playing Galaxy. She calls the Goombas "Poopy Guys" since they look like poop to her.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:02:46 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3724 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:25 AM »
Was bored last night so decided to get the new Call of Duty to play the campaign, I'm sure I'll play MP too at some point.  Hadn't played a COD game in years, but always thought the campaigns while short, were fun and entertaining.  I made a video of my first playthrough of the intro/first mission which is D-Day.  Was really cool and fun to do this although I'm annoyed at myself for really struggling at one point at something stupid  :lol  Video is long at 45 minutes, but I added my stupid commentary to it which hopefully someone finds entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1-TIWaFcLY

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: November 04, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »
Sounds like fun cramx, I haven’t played a COD game since world at war.

I’ve been hooked on rinworld. The stories the game generates are hilarious, for example:

I had all my characters harvesting the crops for the upcoming winter when a wild rabbit attacked character A. Well he doesn’t have a weapon so he is trying to fight back against the rabid animal. My other other character who isn’t skilled in hunting decides to shoot the rabbit but misses and hits character A. Character A gets injuries bad, not only did he suffer injuries from the animal attack but he had a near fatal gunshot wound. I had to spend the next couple of days getting him tended to so he doesn’t die and I lost some crops because I waited to long to harvest so who knows if they’ll have enough food for the winter.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3726 on: November 04, 2017, 08:12:52 AM »

On topic of Odyssey, three of the video game based YouTubers I follow, one gave it rave reviews, one gave it 8/10, and the third said it was a "good Mario game." Not exactly the ringing endorsements I was anticipating. They were all more effusive in their praise for Breath of the Wild.

I beat the main story in a day and a half and then after that it is now collecting moons, which I personally don't find all that fun. Add to that, I thought it wasn't very challenging to beat, so I agree with the an 8/10 score. Its a good game, but is definitely not my favorite mario. I am happy that other people are loving it though.

Breath of the wild on the other hand, took me weeks to even scratch the surface and even now months later I am still finding unique and interesting things to do. And Zelda will give you one hell of a run for your money with its challenge. Breath of the wild throws you in a fierce world that doesn't give a damn about you. You are dumped in and its on you to survive. It doesn't guide you like past Zelda games. And this world is brutal. Your weapons break, you can freeze to death, get struck by lightning, burn to death, drown, and be killed in a just a few hits by common enemies. You hunt, gather and cook to create unique items. You fight and find a way to survive or you die. I truly love Breath of the wild.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3727 on: November 04, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
I agree with Phoenix. I think I was 120 hours in Breath before I beat the final boss, and right now I have over 700 hours on it (100%ed normal mode at around 420 hours, 100%ed master mode at around 640, put another 60 hours just messing around, will probably 100% again on a new file after the last DLC comes out). The Switch isn't telling me my Mario playtime just yet (a couple more days and it will) but I'd wager it's around 50 hours right now.

Mario I flew through the story in a couple days. I won't put nearly as much time into this one but still, there's not a second in Mario where I'm bored. The levels range from small to huge but every one of them is densely packed with something to do always nearby. The level design is amazing, it's a testament to Nintendo's ability to make *fun* games and to hell with all the extras and mechanics and complex systems other games tout. Mario and Zelda are the two biggest 'must haves' on the system for sure, they're both masterpieces in their own ways.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3728 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
Good God, I don't think I'd ever the patience to find all the korok seeds. I haven't even found all the side quests yet. I'm on around 400 hours on breath of the wild but that's across a few different plays through, including one on master mode

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3729 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
So a couple of gaming updates:

PS4

Rocket League - This game has taken over my life as far as my senseless quick (or not) fun game which used to be held by the NHL franchise. I played a lot when I got into it but always just the casual modes. Then for whatever reason I started playing with some people maybe 6 months ago that got me to actually play competitive on a regular basis and it has really improved my game. I'm still nothing amazing, but I've managed Diamond 2 in trips and Diamond 1 in doubles, so definitely been loving that game.

Overwatch - Just needs to be said that for all the shooters out there this still provides a unique and awesome experience. I can see a lot of things competing with my time, but nothing will replace it anytime soon.

Fortnight - Just started playing this weekend and it's been a cool experience. Definitely worth trying out if you downloaded during the free period. Managed a couple of duo 2nd place finishes already, but no wins yet.

South Park - As with the first game, not that hard, and if you enjoy South Park you'll enjoy the game. Combat is better this time, while overall comedy and story is a step back, so a wash really with Stick of Truth.

PC

Endless Space 2: Got this a good while back (pre-release I believe) and have enjoyed it a lot over the past 6 months or so. Played through most of the races multiple times, and might eventually force myself through the two I haven't yet (their setup just isn't my play style), and it's definitely worth trying if you enjoy space empire building.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3730 on: November 06, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »

PS4

Rocket League - This game has taken over my life as far as my senseless quick (or not) fun game which used to be held by the NHL franchise. I played a lot when I got into it but always just the casual modes. Then for whatever reason I started playing with some people maybe 6 months ago that got me to actually play competitive on a regular basis and it has really improved my game. I'm still nothing amazing, but I've managed Diamond 2 in trips and Diamond 1 in doubles, so definitely been loving that game.

Just 7 days till Rocket league is out on Switch and I absolutely can't wait. It looks like so much fun

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3731 on: November 06, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »
Finished replaying Trails In The Sky on PC a few days back. Six years after playing it on PSP, I can finally play the sequel. And the third game. FINALLY.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3732 on: November 06, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »

PS4

Just 7 days till Rocket league is out on Switch and I absolutely can't wait. It looks like so much fun

Do you know if the Switch version is online compatible like the PC/PS4 versions?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3733 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:31 PM »
Friggin Prey, man... This is a 20/10 game. I'm replaying it for the third time and doing it totally different and still finding different things than the first two times I played it.

So much detail, amazing mechanics, awesome story, fantastic music... I really haven't loved a game this much in over a decade.

RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3734 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:35 AM »
Friggin Prey, man... This is a 20/10 game. I'm replaying it for the third time and doing it totally different and still finding different things than the first two times I played it.

So much detail, amazing mechanics, awesome story, fantastic music... I really haven't loved a game this much in over a decade.
Yea I loved that game, such a nice surprise. Excellent gameplay and an interesting story. I really liked that they buildt the game with open-world and exploration in mind. Will definitely do a re-run at some point. I'm waiting for the DLC to come out though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3735 on: November 07, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »

PS4

Do you know if the Switch version is online compatible like the PC/PS4 versions?

Apparently, it was designed with that as the plan, but Sony is holding it up?

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

It would be awesome though to have it available to play cross platform multiplayer.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3736 on: November 07, 2017, 06:42:56 AM »

Wow, that really surprises me. Nothing during the promotion made me think it was anything more than a generic space survival horror (which, quite frankly, has been done to death). I'll have to check it out.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3737 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:11 AM »

PS4

Apparently, it was designed with that as the plan, but Sony is holding it up?

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

It would be awesome though to have it available to play cross platform multiplayer.

So the Switch version will have crossplay with the PC version, but not the PS4 version, is that right?
Because I'm on PC, and I'm up for a game if you don't mind a mediocre player who will get 250ms lag on a US server. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3738 on: November 07, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
We should play again, even with the lag  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3739 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »

Wow, that really surprises me. Nothing during the promotion made me think it was anything more than a generic space survival horror (which, quite frankly, has been done to death). I'll have to check it out.

Definitely much more than that. It's certainly pretty creepy, but it's far from being the generic "jump scares in space". I wouldn't consider it straight horror, but the horror elements come from fantastic atmosphere and attention to musical cues and the character/enemy art and AI. I actually didn't see any promotions on this game so maybe that helped with me checking it out, sometimes advertisements for anything just ruin it, oddly enough.

Yea I loved that game, such a nice surprise. Excellent gameplay and an interesting story. I really liked that they buildt the game with open-world and exploration in mind. Will definitely do a re-run at some point. I'm waiting for the DLC to come out though.

Did not even know about DLC for this game!  :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3740 on: November 07, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »

Damn!  Prey is another victim of the never ending game releases that keep diverting my attention.  I forgot that I even had that game.  LOL :lolpalm:

That said, I'm playing CoD: WWII and this has to be the most realistic war game I've ever played.  Crazy azz game!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3741 on: November 07, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »

Definitely much more than that. It's certainly pretty creepy, but it's far from being the generic "jump scares in space". I wouldn't consider it straight horror, but the horror elements come from fantastic atmosphere and attention to musical cues and the character/enemy art and AI. I actually didn't see any promotions on this game so maybe that helped with me checking it out, sometimes advertisements for anything just ruin it, oddly enough.

Did not even know about DLC for this game!  :metal
Honestly, nothing announced sadly but i've heard in several interviews that they're working on it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3742 on: November 07, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »

This game is on my list but "I got fiiiiive kids to feed" so I'm waiting for a nice big Steam sale. Anyone know the chances of Prey be 50% off during the winter sale?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3743 on: November 07, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »
I'd say the chances are pretty high. My memory keeps me from being 100% sure but I want to say I've seen it that low already, but it's absolutely for sure been at least 30% off more than a few times in the past couple months.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3744 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
Check this out.  I pre-ordered NFS: Payback last Friday when I picked up CoD: WWII.  I forgot to pick it up yesterday after work.  :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White