Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479244 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3605 on: October 01, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
Cuphead looks so pretty. I wish I had an Xbox one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3606 on: October 02, 2017, 05:21:37 AM »
Yeah, Cuphead is actually the first Xbox One exclusive that makes me sad I don't have an Xbox One. :lol Oh well.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3607 on: October 02, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
It is on Steam, though.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3608 on: October 02, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
It is on Steam, though.
Oh, didn't know that. Still doesn't help me though, I don't play computer games. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3609 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
I finished Danganronpa V3 the other day, probably my favorite in the series but I'm gonna let it settle a bit before I decide for sure

Really good stuff but pretty reliant on having played the first two games too, despite the different setting

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3610 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »
Cuphead looks so pretty. I wish I had an Xbox one.

I have a few days of Zelda BOTW and then I'm getting Cuphead. Can't wait!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3611 on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »
Everyone I know that's purchased CUphead has regretted it. It's unnecessarily difficult to the point where you just stop giving a fuck and never play it again.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3612 on: October 05, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
That’s what I heard too, it’s a really difficult game. I may still buy it, I can always return it on steam.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3613 on: October 05, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
Games that are that difficult just aren't fun. I love a good challenge and a reasonable difficulty in games but games like Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Dark Souls etc. I just don't get it.

I'm 25 hours into Disgaea 5. I'm only just now figuring out how the game actually works. There's a system for literally everything, I started the game and was thrown in the deep end, it was utterly dizzying. I normally would've hated Googling everything trying to figure it out, but it started to make sense and began to grow on me. Then, next thing I know, 5 hours passed in the blink of an eye as I powerleveled characters and made new ones. If this game bites me the way Breath of the Wild did, I'm going to put hundreds of hours into this. (And there's a character with an ability that increases stats by 1% for every 10 hours played... she'll be dangerous)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3614 on: October 05, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »
Contra is only tolerable if you're playing with a buddy.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3615 on: October 05, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
Everyone I know that's purchased CUphead has regretted it. It's unnecessarily difficult to the point where you just stop giving a fuck and never play it again.

Interesting, maybe I'll see if there is a demo or something.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3616 on: October 05, 2017, 12:34:22 PM »
Games that are that difficult just aren't fun. I love a good challenge and a reasonable difficulty in games but games like Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Dark Souls etc. I just don't get it.

Dark Souls isn't even super difficult, it's just frustrating and annoying. Going up a giant intimidating-looking boss that can kill you in two hits while trying to figure out their pattern, dying & resurrecting at a bonfire then making your way back to the boss is tiring. Trial & error gameplay plus checkpoint saves is a recipe for annoyance. But for some strange reason I played through and finished the first game. Right after I finished I thought, "Herrick you're never going to play a game like this again". Then a year later I bought Dark Souls 2  :huh:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3617 on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
I've tried to get through Dark Souls 3 and while I think it's a pretty game it's not as tight as I imagine, I feel like some of the hit boxes can be ambiguous.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3618 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
I just got Stardew valley for the switch (its on most other platforms as well)

Its great. Pretty much like harvest moon, but extremely deep and intricate. Hours upon hours can be lost in this thing. On 15 bucks too.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3619 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:41 AM »
After nearly 100 hours I finally finished Zelda BOTW. Simply amazing game. Groundbreaking in many ways. There are still a ton of side quests I need to complete and I'm looking forward to the new DLC in a couple of months but I'm done for now. After 3 months I'm ready to move on to something else.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3620 on: October 06, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »

Dark Souls isn't even super difficult, it's just frustrating and annoying. Going up a giant intimidating-looking boss that can kill you in two hits while trying to figure out their pattern, dying & resurrecting at a bonfire then making your way back to the boss is tiring. Trial & error gameplay plus checkpoint saves is a recipe for annoyance. But for some strange reason I played through and finished the first game. Right after I finished I thought, "Herrick you're never going to play a game like this again". Then a year later I bought Dark Souls 2  :huh:

I remember when my buddy gave me his PS3 I picked up Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 for very cheap. I popped in Demon's Souls and hated it immediately. I then tried Dark Souls and liked it at first but the controls and sluggish movement completely turned me off. I think I got to the first boss before hanging it up, I went through the try-get slaughtered-respawn-try again 50 times cycle enough with the Ninja Gaiden games. I require a strong positive feedback loop, preferably in a quick format like Diablo or, as I've just discovered, Disgaea. I don't mind failure but I don't want it to be half the game.

I really want Stardew Valley again but I already dropped so much time into it on the PC. But it's so cheap, and portable... but I promised I'd buy ProgPower tickets this weekend and nothing else... ahh
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3621 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »

I remember when my buddy gave me his PS3 I picked up Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 for very cheap. I popped in Demon's Souls and hated it immediately. I then tried Dark Souls and liked it at first but the controls and sluggish movement completely turned me off. I think I got to the first boss before hanging it up, I went through the try-get slaughtered-respawn-try again 50 times cycle enough with the Ninja Gaiden games. I require a strong positive feedback loop, preferably in a quick format like Diablo or, as I've just discovered, Disgaea. I don't mind failure but I don't want it to be half the game.

I really want Stardew Valley again but I already dropped so much time into it on the PC. But it's so cheap, and portable... but I promised I'd buy ProgPower tickets this weekend and nothing else... ahh

Thanks for reminding me about ProgPower tickets. Would have forgot and been shit out of luck.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3622 on: October 06, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »

I only played the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. I remember it being very challenging but not annoyingly challenging like the Souls games. Or maybe I was more into that kind of gameplay back then.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3623 on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:37 AM »
I really want to like Dark Souls, the atmosphere and design and everything are right up my street. But I just don't find that level of difficulty fun. More power to those who do, though. BotW is about as difficult as I can be bothered with, and even then it's only hard in the early going

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: October 07, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »

Thanks for reminding me about ProgPower tickets. Would have forgot and been shit out of luck.

Just got my ticket  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3625 on: October 07, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »
I really want to like Dark Souls, the atmosphere and design and everything are right up my street. But I just don't find that level of difficulty fun. More power to those who do, though. BotW is about as difficult as I can be bothered with, and even then it's only hard in the early going

I'll have to buy one of those Wiis one of these days. I'm so far behind on Zelda and Mario games. It's quite a travesty  :sad: I blame GoG and Steam. Just too many PC games to play.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3626 on: October 07, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
You can skip Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Not really a Mario guy (though Odyssey looks fun) so no recommendations either way there

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3627 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Agreed. Tried playing Twilight Princess again (in 11 years I've never managed to beat it a second time) before BOTW came out and just couldn't do it. Way too linear, way too slow, probably impossible for me to ever play it again after BOTW.

I really want Shadow of War but I won't buy it until I can pick it up secondhand because fuck developers putting microtransactions in a single player game. I'll buy it used. So until then, I'm gonna wait for Mario Odyssey - but I think I'm gonna grab Fire Emblem Warriors on the 20th. Been waiting for that for a loooong time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3628 on: October 09, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Twilight Princess is easily the second best Zelda game for me, behind OoT of course. Wind Waker was disappointingly short and repetitive (still finished it and enjoyed it), and I've tried and given up on Majora's Mask more times than I can count before even getting to the first dungeon. Don't ignore Twilight Princess!
I haven't played Skyward Sword or BOTW yet. I don't have a Switch, but we have a Wii, but not the motion plus thingy that SS requires.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:54:51 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3629 on: October 09, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »
You just haven't played MM enough. Play it until you love it.  :lol :biggrin:

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3630 on: October 09, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
Skyward Sword is the worst 3D Zelda by some margin, imo. Which is a shame; the art style is lovely, the music is great, it's got some good characters and the Ancient Cistern might be the best dungeon in the series. But the world is atrocious with next to no exploration, and the controls are downright unforgivable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3631 on: October 09, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
You just haven't played MM enough. Play it until you love it.  :lol :biggrin:

I've played it far too much already! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3632 on: October 09, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
I got majora's mask 3d and played like halfway through or so but couldn't find it too interesting and didn't finish

Ohwell

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3633 on: October 09, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
Majora definitely isn't for everyone. FWIW, my ranking of the 3D Zeldas goes:

Wind Waker
Breath of the Wild
Ocarina
Majora

Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: October 09, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Since we're doing it  :biggrin:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Ocarina/Majora (I've never been able to choose which is better)
4. Link's Awakening
5. Oracle of Ages

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3635 on: October 09, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
I can't really rank the 2D games... I've played Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and Link Between Worlds (Link Link Link) to completion once each but none of the others. They were ok! But Wind Waker is where I fell in love with the series. I was mostly a PC guy until the N64/PS1 era of games

Edit: regarding my ranking of the threeds, they're all at least decent games. Skyward Sword is bad for a Zelda game but it's still like a 5/10 at worst for me

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3636 on: October 10, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3637 on: October 10, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
My first time through Majora's Mask, I grudgingly made it through the 3rd temple, and then gave up. So much of it was not intuitive. When I revisited it, I used a guide to get me through a few of the hairy parts, and enjoyed it much more, and appreciated what the designers were going for. I still think there are a few "How the hell would I have figured that out?" moments, but maybe that's my problem.

Ocarina was mindblowing when I first played it, but I can't imagine having enough desire to play through it again. And I liked the Water Temple.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3638 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
I really want Shadow of War, but the microtransaction thing is annoying. I'm going to try to pick it up secondhand for cheap (so as to not directly give money to the devs). I'm also irrationally upset, as a LOTR purist, by the changes to the lore. Shelob is not a human and never should be, damn it! The changes to lore in the first game I just grit my teeth through it but wtf.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3639 on: October 11, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »
I agree with you Kattelox. I was going to get it until the whole microtransaction stuff.