Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 115987 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1295 on: July 24, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
So, his father then?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1296 on: July 28, 2017, 02:28:27 AM »
So for a bit of fun I tried to recast the Doctors as if the show was American, trying to match the age, era and style of the British version with an American/Canadian counterpart.  Here's what I came out with....

Lorne Greene - William Hartnell
Dustin Hoffman - Patrick Troughton
James Garner - John Pertwee.
Gene Wilder - Tom Baker.
Dirk Benedict - Peter Davidson.
Christopher Walken - Colin Baker
Jeff Goldblum - Sylvester Mccoy
Billy Zane - Paul Mcgann
Nic Cage - Chris Eccleston.
Sam Rockwell - David Tennant.
Matthew Lillard - Matt Smith.
Steve Buscemi - Peter Capaldi.
Anna Paquin - Jodie Whittaker.

Morgan Freeman - John Hurt.

Struggled most with John Pertwee finding someone to fit that sort of 70's Dandy style who could still look tough doing Venusian Aikido is hard.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:24:11 AM by soupytwist »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1297 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »
Have you seen the Youtube video of this? A lot of your casting is similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCv5o7n_mtk&t=6s

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1298 on: July 30, 2017, 07:14:11 AM »
Finally finished this season.  Capaldi, as always, was fantastic (my favorite Doctor), and another entertaining season.

As sad as I am to see Capaldi (and Moffatt) go, I am definitely excited to see what Jodie Whittaker brings to the role.  She's a talented actress, and I am hopeful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1299 on: July 31, 2017, 04:43:07 AM »
Have you seen the Youtube video of this? A lot of your casting is similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCv5o7n_mtk&t=6s

Aha.   Well no actually I hadn't seen that before, very interesting.  My list was actually inspired by watching 'The WIcker Man' remake drunk with a mate, after the film my mate said Cage would make a great ham Doctor - I agreed we went about throwing other names around.  I remembered what I though were the better ones and made the list, but I suspect my mate had probably seen that video himself as a few of his contrabutions were similar, Rockwell in particular (which I thought was inspired by him!).

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1300 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
To keep this thread going, I thought we should have a bit of a debate about Donna's end. If you had to write her story, would you have rather kept the way it ended, or would you rather have had her die young, but knowing she ended up saving billions upon billions of people? I know this sounds morbid, but I'd probably go with the latter: quality over quantity you know

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1301 on: September 22, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
I think keeping her alive like that was less cliche, and more sad for The Doctor, and Donna's family. Either way could have worked fine though.
I finished rewatching S4 a couple of weeks ago, and it's definitely my favourite of the Tennant era. Knowing all of the arcs in advance, I enjoyed how it was put together.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1302 on: September 25, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Her ending is the only one I really actually care about and is just as moving and tragic after all those years. It is perfect.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:11 PM »
So, the new companions have been announced, and it looks like we've got three companions for the first time in the modern series. The older dude was rumoured for ages, so he was no surprise.

I was actually hoping for multiple companions to continue breaking the pattern as they have with a female Doctor, so hopefully 3 works. They started with 3 in the original series, but that was a different format. I don't want it to take anything away from the new Doctor, and I hope they didn't feel a need to do this to either soften the blow of a female Doctor, or take some focus off her, or just to satisfy as many people as possible. I could definitely see the older male companion as being a response to the older fans who aren't happy with Jodie as The Doctor, which could actually be funny if they wrote his character that way.
I'm not familiar with the other 2 companion actors at all, so I have no opinion one way or another there.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1304 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:41 AM »
This sounds terrible. I have little confidence that they can flesh out both a new doctor and 3 new companions in 40minute episodes. If anything, it makes me think that they are not confident in the doctor's character.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1305 on: October 23, 2017, 02:42:55 AM »
So, the new companions have been announced, and it looks like we've got three companions for the first time in the modern series.
Pretty much - they've often had multiple companions (Amy/Rory, Bill/Nardole) and sometimes they've had three at once but never for an extended run. It's not clear from the announcements if these are all companions in the traditional sense or if it's more a set of recurring characters.

Sounds great anyway, the Doctor + 1 companion dynamic can get very samey.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: October 23, 2017, 02:52:25 AM »
So, the new companions have been announced, and it looks like we've got three companions for the first time in the modern series.
Pretty much - they've often had multiple companions (Amy/Rory, Bill/Nardole) and sometimes they've had three at once but never for an extended run. It's not clear from the announcements if these are all companions in the traditional sense or if it's more a set of recurring characters.

Sounds great anyway, the Doctor + 1 companion dynamic can get very samey.

It could possibly be a Bill/Nardole situation where you have a main companion and then supporting companions, but I get the impression that all 3 are actually considered companions. There also announced someone else as a recurring role, no idea in what capacity they are either.
I'm over the Doctor + young girl dynamic, and I think even with genders reversed it wouldn't have been too fresh. So I'm cautiously optimistic, although I do share abydos' concerns to a degree too.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1307 on: October 23, 2017, 03:52:46 AM »
I'm not concerned about that at all. Even a half-decent writer should be able to develop only four characters in 8.5 hours of TV.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: October 23, 2017, 04:01:28 AM »
I guess my only minor concern is it taking some time and focus away from The Doctor. I just hope they're not trying to take some attention off her because of the vocal minority of complaints.
Hopefully I'm just over-analyzing the whole thing, and the new showrunner just wanted to mix it up, which as I said, I'm all for. I'm really looking forward to the new season, I just don't know what to expect yet.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1309 on: October 23, 2017, 04:19:14 AM »
Looks like we are going to have to wait nearly a year before getting the next series.   
I suspect this will be a bigger change than moving from the RTD era to the Moffat era.  I look forward to it, but I'm also a tad worried - Chibnall's writing on Doctor Who hasn't been stellar, and I personally found Broadchurch very overrated.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: October 23, 2017, 04:36:11 AM »
I haven't seen Broadchurch at all, so I only have his Doctor Who episodes to judge from. I still really like The Power of Three, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was fun, but the rest of his episodes were really weak imo.
Hopefully Chibnall will work better as showrunner than he did as a regular writer, but Moffat's episodes were always clear standouts even during the RTD era.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1311 on: October 23, 2017, 05:18:41 AM »
Yeah his episodes haven't been absolutely awful, but they are all rather 'meh' to me.  Would have liked Jamie Mathieson to have gotten the gig, hopefully he'll get to still guest write a few episode at least.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: October 23, 2017, 05:33:49 AM »
Yeah, his episodes have been quite good (I love Flatline). I don't know that there are any clear standout writers like there was with Moffat, but I'm just fucking glad they didn't go with Gatiss. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1313 on: October 23, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »
I haven't seen Broadchurch at all, so I only have his Doctor Who episodes to judge from. I still really like The Power of Three, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was fun, but the rest of his episodes were really weak imo.
Hopefully Chibnall will work better as showrunner than he did as a regular writer, but Moffat's episodes were always clear standouts even during the RTD era.
But then some people who loved Moffat's standalones under RTD have hated his tenure as showrunner (completely unfairly) so just goes to show how different the two roles are.

Broadchurch isn't for everyone, but it's a show that develops characters well (in an ensemble too) and it's generally well-written so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: October 23, 2017, 06:15:16 AM »
I'm glad that DTF is apparently one place where people have more balanced opinions regarding Moffat. :lol

There are just so many new variables for S11, so it's hard to know what to expect. I'm excited for it though. I've enjoyed every era of Doctor Who I've seen so far, and I'm sure I'll like this too.
Speaking of which, I stopped my classic rewatch half way through Planet of the Daleks which I really need to get back to.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1315 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:16 AM »
But then some people who loved Moffat's standalones under RTD have hated his tenure as showrunner (completely unfairly) so just goes to show how different the two roles are.

Moffat's tenure as the showrunner if compared to his episodes in the RTD era could be classed as a tad underwhelming, but a lot of this is down to the type of audience Doctor Who attracts in the UK.   It's a prime time BBC show, the BBC doesn't do any other show like Doctor Who (they barely touch Sci-Fi and certainly never prime time).   The negatively towards the Moffat era is from people who want a very casual vibe from Doctor Who.   Moffat's finest hour should have been series 6 (his second one) he went big, lots of connecting threads - there was a ton of swagger about that series, it's not without it's faults, but I generally loved the fact it tried to shoot for the stars, even if it fell a little short.   But the complex structure alienated a lot of the casual audience, I think this knocked Moffat and he never really recovered, not to say I didn't enjoy the next 4 series, but I got the feeling he was holding back.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1316 on: October 23, 2017, 06:58:28 AM »
I agree with all that. Season 5 and the first half of Season 6 were the show at its peak, and Season 6 I still thought was great overall despite some misfires in the second half.

I've really liked everything since too, but it definitely feels a bit less ambitious/exciting now. As you say, all the clever connecting threads and speculation were maybe too complex for the broader viewer base.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
I generally agree with that too, although I think S8/9 are arguably the best of the modern series (5 and 6 were great too). S10 feels like Moffat was Who'd out though, I don't know. I hope Capaldi can still go out with a bang.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1318 on: October 23, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
I generally agree with that too, although I think S8/9 are arguably the best of the modern series (5 and 6 were great too). S10 feels like Moffat was Who'd out though, I don't know. I hope Capaldi can still go out with a bang.

Thing that holds me back on those two series was Clara, just not a companion I enjoyed very much.  However I do think Series 8 had a mostly fantastic collection of stand alone episodes, but Clara (and Danny Pink) drag it down.   Series 9 wasn't as good, still decent and contained Peter's finest moment with 'Heaven Sent'.  Series 10 kind off felt like series 7 again - rather lightweight and forgettable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Danny Pink was shit, but I have nothing against Clara.
S10 had no bangers or standouts at all, but while S7 was very inconsistent, it still had its share of great episodes, and it ended very strong with the "...of the Doctor" eps. Patchy season, but still several fantastic episodes to redeem it. Not that S10 had any particularly bad episodes, but it was just consistently ok, no essentials. No season is perfect, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Really looking forward to rewatching S8 and S9. I'm up to Time of the Doctor in my rewatch, although I've seen it so many times already!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: November 10, 2017, 01:24:44 AM »
So what do people think of the new Doctor's outfit?

I was hoping it would still be something Doctor-y (long pants, boots, some kind of coat/jacket), and hoping for a bit more colour and less tame than recent Doctors, so I like those factors.
I'm not sold on the random colours, which make it feel like an '80s Doctor Who outfit. I've warmed to it a bit seeing the fan art, and I hope I like it better once they vary it up a bit. I don't hate it though, and like it in principle.
The updated TARDIS looks great. I think they've well incorporated the features of the older TARDIS with the modern proportions. I didn't expect I would like the change to the sign, but I do.

All around, it feels very vintage Who, for better or worse. Very interested to see this new era.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1321 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
The pants are stupid. Don't really care that much about their outfits in general.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1322 on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »
The shortness of the trousers kind off bothers me for some reason.  Other than that seems OK, thought they might have done something with her hair though?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »
What do you expect them to do with her hair? That's how her hair is.
I don't like the 3/4 pants much either. Looks kinda hipster with the suspenders and socks to me. And I realized that the outfit reminds me a lot of Mork from Mork and Mindy.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1324 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:36 AM »
What do you expect them to do with her hair? That's how her hair is.

Some sort of different style, nothing outlandish, no freaky colouring.   Just something a bit different, a bob or something? (I don't know much bout female hair styles...).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: December 25, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
I enjoyed that Christmas episode a lot, more than I expected from the trailers. A very nice sendoff for Capaldi.
It was interesting that it ended up involving no "bad guy" in the end. I loved the clips tying in to The Tenth Planet, and the first Doctor was funny. The characterization did't match up with the first Doctor super well, lacking the signature phrases, and he wasn't that overtly sexist, but it was still an amusing way of addressing the change in the Doctor's attitude over the course of the show to reflect the times, so I still thought it was hilarious in that way. Capaldi was awesome as ever.

I knew Jenna Coleman was going to be in it, so I was curious how they'd handle that given that he'd had his memory wiped. I liked that too.

My favourite bit was definitely how the WWI scenario tied into Christmas, and also the message of being the Doctor, as the first Doctor kind of stumbled into this stuff rather than making it his mission. Just the right amount of Christmas.

An interesting setup for the 13th Doctor, it reminded me of the start of The Eleventh Hour, except to the extreme. Hopefully the new TARDIS interior is good, because I absolutely love the current one so much. I would have liked a few more lines from Whittaker, but it was a good tease, and I have no complaints there. I'm really excited to see S11 now.

I was hoping this episode would tie up the loose end of Day of the Doctor, since you had two of the Doctors there. But that probably would have been too much to pack in. :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1326 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
It was a perfect send off. Just a long love letter to Capaldi and his Doctor. It didn't need a crazy plot. Just a light, easy episode. I'm going to miss him so much. I just loved his Doctor.

Of course, I see people online already ripping Moffat to shreds for either a boring episode or destroying the history of Who or whatever else they can think of. People are slamming him for the new Doctor crashing the Tardis because it's a woman. If they knew anything then they would know he was not involved in anything after the regeneration. Everything after the change is written by the incoming showrunner which is Chibnall. That won't stop the Moffat haters club.

So tired of seeing endless hate about everything. Clearly, they didn't get the Doctors final message - Be Kind.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: December 25, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
It was a perfect send off. Just a long love letter to Capaldi and his Doctor. It didn't need a crazy plot. Just a light, easy episode. I'm going to miss him so much. I just loved his Doctor.

Of course, I see people online already ripping Moffat to shreds for either a boring episode or destroying the history of Who or whatever else they can think of. People are slamming him for the new Doctor crashing the Tardis because it's a woman. If they knew anything then they would know he was not involved in anything after the regeneration. Everything after the change is written by the incoming showrunner which is Chibnall. That won't stop the Moffat haters club.

I jokingly thought about whether people would mention a female crashing the TARDIS.

Which is totally forgetting that the first thing 11 did after regeneration was crash the TARDIS (for the exact same reason 13 crashed it, because the regeneration damaged the TARDIS). The first thing 12 did after generating is forget how to even pilot the TARDIS and crash it. 3 in a row. I hope they don't feel like they have to walk on eggshells with everything 13 does for fear of being viewed as sexist or whatever. The Doctor has always been a flawed person.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1328 on: December 25, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »

I jokingly thought about whether people would mention a female crashing the TARDIS.

Which is totally forgetting that the first thing 11 did after regeneration was crash the TARDIS (for the exact same reason 13 crashed it, because the regeneration damaged the TARDIS). The first thing 12 did after generating is forget how to even pilot the TARDIS and crash it. 3 in a row. I hope they don't feel like they have to walk on eggshells with everything 13 does for fear of being viewed as sexist or whatever. The Doctor has always been a flawed person.

To get all nerdy, people seem to have a perception filter blocking things when it comes to Moffat.

As soon as the door opened and she was looking to be pulled out I immediately thought of Smith's first scene. In the little documentary afterwards, Rachel Talalay even said she wanted explosions and fire and a crashing Tardis just like when Tennant left. That's exactly what we got.

Unfortunately, this next season will be one of the most scrutinized and analyzed of any other because of Jodie. It's unnecessary, but inevitable.

With just the little bit we got with her, I got an impression of playfulness. The look on her face when she said her only words just had this air of fun.

Missy was proof that gender didn't define the Master and I'm sure that Jodie will prove the same for the Doctor.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: December 25, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »
Missy was definitely a test run for a female Doctor, and if Michelle Gomez didn't prove to people that a female can play a charismatic Time Lord, I doubt anything will.
I don't know how much of Jodie's characterization of the Doctor was planned out when they shot her scene, but she did seem fun. Her upcoming outfit would suggest the same thing. I can't imagine a brooding dark Doctor running around in suspenders and a bright multi-coloured shirt.