Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116015 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1225 on: June 19, 2017, 04:27:31 AM »
I still think this season is slightly above 8, but it ain't got shit on 9.

8 had some major stinkers, but it also had some of my favourite regular episodes, like Listen, Flatline and Time Heist, and imo got off to a stronger start.
This season is more consistent, and it does beat S8 in ways, but S8's high points make up for that for me. I agree there's not a huge margin between them, but it feels like a bit of a letdown for the sendoff of both Capaldi and Moffat.
And I agree S9 slays them. Possibly the best season of the modern series.

Mummy on the Orient Express was IMO the best of that series, and maybe Capaldi's best episode (toss up with Heaven Sent).

This series was going along OK - no real classic episodes (Oxygen comes closest)  most were around average.  However starting with the 3rd (and conclusive) part of the Monk trilogy we've had 3 fairly disappointing episodes.  I'd say (very much depending on how good the finale is) that currently this series is running lower than the two previous Capaldi series and about on par with Series 7 (Smith's final series) - which I currently rank as the weakest of Moffat's reign.

My own personal choice would be Series 5 for the best of the modern run.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1226 on: June 19, 2017, 05:02:19 AM »
I thought Mummy On The Orient Express was great, although I preferred the aforementioned eps more, and I don't rank it as highly.
S7 was very patchy, but damn, the end of that season made up for all of it. S5 was probably my favourite season until S9, and S8 is very close too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1227 on: June 20, 2017, 04:42:31 AM »
I thought Mummy On The Orient Express was great, although I preferred the aforementioned eps more, and I don't rank it as highly.
S7 was very patchy, but damn, the end of that season made up for all of it. S5 was probably my favourite season until S9, and S8 is very close too.

It's possible in terms of stories series 8 & 9 are the strongest - however the dynamic of Matt's Doctor, Amy & Rory (the best Doctor /Companions combo since the show returned by miles) makes series 5 & 6 more fun and enjoyable for me.   I wasn't the biggest fan of Clara (prefer Bill).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: June 20, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »
I'm apparently one of the few who liked Clara, but I agree that the Doctor/Companion dynamic is important, and 11 + Amy/Rory was a classic combo. In general I like most Doctors and companions, so I was thinking more specifically about the stories and arcs.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1229 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
I loved Clara but they gave her shit to work with for the most part. She would have been much better as a recurring character instead.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1230 on: June 21, 2017, 12:31:23 AM »
I really like Clara too. There were a few moments where they attempted to make her too much like the Doctor, which could get a little annoying, but overall I liked her.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1231 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:15 AM »
I generally regard her as the weakest companion of the new series for numerous facts like she followed the brilliant Amy/Rory, or that after her 'Impossible Girl' storyline ended they had nothing much to do with her (2 whole seasons), the dreary Danny Pink stuff, her general smug demeanor and the way the stories tended to make her overshadow Capaldi's Doctor early on.   

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
I was so excited that I stayed up to watch the new episode right away, so now it's almost 6am here. :lol

Jebus, what a buildup. It's a shame that we knew who/what was in this season before it even began, because the end of this episode was a bunch of awesome reveals, with the Mondasian Cybermen, and The Master, and Bill. I totally didn't place him at all until he started talking to Missy at the end. He was obviously wearing prosthetics, but I figured that was just to look deformed/sick like the rest of them, didn't even consider it was John Simm under there.

Looks like next week includes both the RTD and Moffat style Cybermen, so I don't know how that fits into the story if this is supposed to be their origin. The regeneration tease is also most interesting. The trailer for next week shows his regeneration differently to this episode. Does he hold it off like 10 did? I assume the next episode will end with the same clip this one started with and be a big ol' Doc tease? I figure we're not seeing a new Doctor next week.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1233 on: June 24, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Christmas special we get the new Doctor. I'm wondering if it'll start with the Doctor regenerating (kind of like with the movie) and the rest of the special will be the new Doctor's first adventure?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: June 25, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »
Even though they made it look like Capaldi is regenerating at the end of this episode, I can't see it being the case. It's Capaldi's last episode, it's Moffat's last episode, and I can't see Moffat writing anything too substantial for the next Doctor with a new showrunner taking over, or having Chibnall get too involved before having the prep time for a new season.
I have no idea how this will all play out though, or how connected the Christmas episode will be to the events of the next episode. I can't help but feel they're holding back a lot from the trailer for the finale, because I can't make sense of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1235 on: June 25, 2017, 02:24:58 AM »
I really liked this week's episode. Fun idea with the time relativity, and the build-up to the cybermen was indeed great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1236 on: June 25, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
The Cybermen buildup was awesome, but oh man it would have been incredible if they hadn't been trailing Cybermen and the Master for weeks. Guess it's just too hard to keep these things properly under wraps these days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: June 26, 2017, 03:41:28 AM »
It would be cool if they tried though. Obviously there's stuff that would be difficult to keep secret, especially if they're shooting on location, but they probably could have kept The Master secret. Even if there are rumours about, the average viewer would still get a surprise out of it.
At the very least, it would have been nice if they didn't spoil the surprise of The Master at the very start of the season!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1238 on: June 26, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
I suspect Mr Moffat is up to something rather big, the reveal of John Sim and the Cybermen in the early trailers suggests to me that there is something bigger going to happen next week. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1239 on: June 26, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
I just thought it was a bit lazy going back to the Cybermen again, like almost a repeat from 2 seasons ago, except with Danny being replaced by Bill. Would have kind of liked instead to know what Missy was planning with the Daleks

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
I just thought it was a bit lazy going back to the Cybermen again, like almost a repeat from 2 seasons ago, except with Danny being replaced by Bill. Would have kind of liked instead to know what Missy was planning with the Daleks

I also considered that parallel, and building up to reveal the Cybermen at the end of the first part, although it is otherwise a very different story so far, and expect it will be even more so next episode.
I suspect Moffat did this story as a sendoff for Capaldi, because I recall a while ago when Capaldi was asked which past monster he'd like to go up against, he said the Mondasian Cybermen.

Also, I think this is the creepiest the Cybermen have ever been portrayed. I thought that was done very well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: June 26, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
I've always disliked the cybermen. I think they're pretty crap villains. But they did it well this time so I'll go with it for now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: June 26, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
I'm never been much of a fan of the Cybermen either. There have been some decent stories, and a lot of mediocre ones, and not a whole lot of truly great episodes. And especially at the start, they were often defeated in the most benign ways. They rarely felt like a truly formidable villian, at least in the ones I've seen.
This might actually be my favourite Cyberman episode so far, because of how they built up the creepy humanity aspect. I hope the second part lives up to the first.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1243 on: July 01, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Oh man, bring on the Christmas special right now. That was one emotional ride

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: July 01, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »
Good episode, but I preferred the last episode. Maybe it's just a thing with Capaldi Cyberman season two part finales having stronger first parts.

That's both Capaldi companions who sorta died then got brought back by magic and ran off with an invincible girl to explore space. :lol

I like how we have the first multi Master story, and of course they both kill each other. Does this mean they're both done with the part though? I would have liked to see the Master regenerate.

I can't wait for the Christmas episode! That is what I wanted to see! So it looks like this will tie in to The Tenth Planet, when the 1st Doctor was absent and "resting", hence no companion. Maybe they'll both swing by the Time War while they're at it...
That should be an interesting dynamic, one who is just about to regenerate for the first time, and one who's about to go through it again.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:04:24 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1245 on: July 02, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »
Don't really know what to say. I liked the episode, but while it had moments that were excellent, as a whole it felt more "fine" than "great", just like the entire season.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: July 02, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Even though I thought the story was sort of average, I felt it had enough of those moments to put the episode somewhere between good and great, although I would have hoped for more from a story with 2 Masters, 2 Doctors, 3 different generations of Cybermen, and most of those characters being killed in some form.
Overall it has been a bit of a disappointing run for Capaldi's final season. Don't get me wrong, it's been consistent throughout, and even though it's had no major low's imo, it hasn't the big highs either. It hasn't been a bad season, but Capaldi's first two seasons were so damn good that this was a bit of a letdown by comparison.

Hopefully the Christmas episode is a stronger swan song for Capaldi/Moffat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1247 on: July 03, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
So, Jenna's appearing in the Christmas special. I guess they're going to do a repeat of what Karen did for Matt's regen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: July 03, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
So, Jenna's appearing in the Christmas special. I guess they're going to do a repeat of what Karen did for Matt's regen

That would be strange given that 12 doesn't remember her, although I guess he could remember again as part of his regeneration? There's also the fact she's also still flying around in her own TARDIS, so there are possibilities there, however coincidental as that might be.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1249 on: July 05, 2017, 06:00:37 AM »
Dailymotion used to be the place to watch classic Doctor Who, but I don't know if the copyright police got on them. For instance, I can't find Earthshock and with Time-Flight, the dude only uploaded the first three episodes. I mean, COME ON!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: July 05, 2017, 06:05:28 AM »
I just recently encountered the same problem getting back into classic Doctor Who. It's very hit and miss for what people have uploaded, and that site's search is the worst of anything I've used (I always use Google to search the site instead). One guy had pretty much everything else from the season I'm on, except for the story I'm currently up to. Now I've had to resort to much shadier sites, which sucks.

Currently half way through Planet of the Daleks btw.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1251 on: July 11, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Something that's been bothering me with the last episode. Why can't Missy try to regenerate? Like, what would happen? It's been my understanding that Time Lords can take a whole lot of damage. I assume all of them are created equally and the Doctor isn't more special

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
Something that's been bothering me with the last episode. Why can't Missy try to regenerate? Like, what would happen? It's been my understanding that Time Lords can take a whole lot of damage. I assume all of them are created equally and the Doctor isn't more special

Although Time Lords can regenerate, they're not invincible, and certain types of injuries can stop the regeneration process from being able to occur. It also happened to the 11th Doctor in "Let's Kill Hitler", where River Song poisoned The Doctor with something that would stop him from regenerating (and was only saved by her using her own regeneration energy on him). Whatever The Master hit Missy with apparently did the same thing. Kind of like Time Lord erectile dysfunction I guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: July 14, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
New Doctor being announced after the Wimbledon's Men's Final on Sunday the 16th July!

Can someone translate that into a real time for me? I don't speak sportball.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1254 on: July 14, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
I think 12 AM your time is when the men's final start and it will last a few hours. It's 4pm EET.
Google "mens wimbledon finals when' and it should do it for you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »
Thanks. Even if it's a long match, I should still be up for that. I don't want to miss the live news. :caffeine:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1256 on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:08 AM »
So Roger Federer is the next Doctor, didn't see that coming.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: July 15, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »
Only if he wins. If he can't win a tennis tournament, how can we expect him to win against the Daleks?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1258 on: July 15, 2017, 01:35:29 AM »
No dalek is a match for his sonic racket!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:18 AM »
I'm excited to find out who the new Doctor is, even though chances are high I won't be too familiar with them yet. This is the first new Doctor reveal since I've been a fan.

Anyone have a preference out of the likely contenders? Although I have no bias for/against a female Doctor, I think I prefer the female options over the male ones. My preferred male Doctors are more distant odds.