Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116428 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #1085 on: April 23, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »
In DW or in general ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1086 on: April 23, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
In Doctor Who. They're Dalek related.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1087 on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
Yeah. I do love the Daleks, but there are so many other ideas to explore too.
I've heard repeatedly that the BBC need to use the Daleks every year by contractual obligation or something to do with the rights to the Daleks, but I don't know if that's just internet rumour.
I'm pretty sure that's just made up nonsense.

And the Kaleds were the human-like people of Skaro (well, one of the two races) who Davros experimented on and turned into Daleks.

EDIT: Though you won't have explored that much in your run through the classic seasons yet, Blob.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: April 23, 2016, 11:12:03 PM »
Yeah. I do love the Daleks, but there are so many other ideas to explore too.
I've heard repeatedly that the BBC need to use the Daleks every year by contractual obligation or something to do with the rights to the Daleks, but I don't know if that's just internet rumour.
I'm pretty sure that's just made up nonsense.

Or you suggesting the internet is lying? Surely you jest! :lol

I was thinking I'd seen Kaleds, but I was getting mixed up with the Thals. I recognized the name instantly though. I really gotta get back to my classic Who viewing and power through to Tome Baker.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: October 23, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »
I didn't want to make a new thread for it, but has anyone checked out Class yet, the new spin-off series? I watched the first two episodes, and it's not bad.
I was under the impression it was going to be a more kid oriented show, like what I assume the Sarah Jane Adventures was, but it's actually more adult than Doctor Who, with a decent amount of blood, and dealing with more mature topics that Doctor Who, with a bit of language. I like the diversity, but at the start of the first episode I thought it laid it on too thick with the pandering. Didn't have any problems after that though.
The premise for why Coal Hill is getting a whole bunch of aliens works well enough for the purpose of the show, and they deal with the fact they're just a bunch of kids who have no clue what they're doing. The quality of the show is on par with Doctor Who, but this is more focused on the people than the monsters. The Doctor's cameo in the first episode was limited, used only to establish the premise rather than get in the way or overshadow the main cast.
In the absence of Doctor Who, I'll probably continue watching it for now. It has potential.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: October 23, 2016, 09:26:28 AM »
I guess that's to replace Torchwood since it looks like that probably won't come back any time soon.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1091 on: October 23, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
Isn't this great? Us talking about something other than what the white people are doing?

Those annoying white people... Ugh.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: October 23, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »
Speaking of white people ?

You know who fucking sucks ?

Fuckin Davros.

Davros can eat a dick.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1093 on: October 24, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
Didn't know this was out yet.  I will try to catch it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1094 on: October 26, 2016, 06:59:15 AM »
Since it's return (the dreadful Nu_who moniker) the 4 actors who have taken the role have in my opinion all been stellar Doctors, a lot more consistent than the casting of the title character in the older version of the show.   I'd probably give Matt Smith the edge - he got the old weary alien side perfectly, also 11 plus Amy/Rory was the best group so far.   Eccleston and Capaldi I have about at the same level, Eccleston quit to soon he was just starting to find his groove (His acting in Dalek is about as good as it gets).   Capaldi I thought was great in his first series, but they'll toned him down since and i'm not sure that suits him so well.   Tennant comes in last for me, great actor, but his version was to Human for me (that's down to the writting not the actor).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1095 on: October 26, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »
Double post

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: October 26, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »
I hated Matt Smith and LOVED Capaldi. i think he's up there with the best Doctor's ever.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1097 on: October 27, 2016, 02:11:17 AM »
I hated Matt Smith and LOVED Capaldi. i think he's up there with the best Doctor's ever.

I genuinely believe all four of the new doctors are up there with the best, in fact all 4 would be in my top 6 (Davidson and Pertwee would be the other two).   Capaldi is great I loved his first series when he had an edge and menace, but in the second series they decided to lighten him up and make him more wacky (Glasses, Guitar etc...) and that didn't suit him so much.   You really hate Matt Smith?   The whispered " daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away" speech to a sleeping Amy in 'The Big Bang' is about for perfect Doctor moment for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: October 27, 2016, 02:20:39 AM »
I love 10, 11 and 12, but I've never much liked 9. They tried to make him rough and edgy, but he always had that stupid goofy grin even when he was supposed to be angry. I love the rest about equally though.
I think Capaldi's Doctor has gotten even better in S9. I did like the darker side in S8, but he more so natural as the quirky uncle/grandpa thing now.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1099 on: October 27, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »
I love 10, 11 and 12, but I've never much liked 9. They tried to make him rough and edgy, but he always had that stupid goofy grin even when he was supposed to be angry. I love the rest about equally though.
I think Capaldi's Doctor has gotten even better in S9. I did like the darker side in S8, but he more so natural as the quirky uncle/grandpa thing now.

9 Needed another series.  That first serie was all over the place in tone - the stuff Russel T Davis was writing back then was camp as Hell, the guest writers saved the serie with stuff like Dalek and The Gasmask Kid double.  The defining 9 moment for me was in 'Dalek' when he walks into the locked room.  First there is the cocky swagger, then the absolute fear as he realises he's locked in with a Dalek, then the elation that the Dalek is harmless, then the anger at it.   A taster of how good 9 could have been if he'd hung around once the show found it's feet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1100 on: October 27, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
This exactly.  I just never bought 9. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: October 27, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
I'm so lost when people call Doctors by their number rather than the actor :p

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:01 AM »
What kind of Doctor Who fan doesn't know the numbers?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1103 on: October 27, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »

To be fair the numbers thing is kind off screwy since the whole War Doctor stuff!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: October 27, 2016, 08:50:51 AM »

To be fair the numbers thing is kind off screwy since the whole War Doctor stuff!

Not really. It was made very clear that the War Doctor doesn't affect the numbering on the technicality of not referring to himself as The Doctor (although I don't know what exactly he did refer to himself as. Maybe The Executioner, or The Doombringer, or the Destructionator, or Stormageddon Dark Lord of All)
I would have liked to see 8 instead of the War Doctor though, finally get some good screen time, instead of just the regeneration in Night of the Doctor. Not that I had a problem with John Hurt as the War Doctor, but it would have been nice for 8 to get a big ending.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:55:53 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1105 on: October 27, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »
The War Doctor called himself Pepe.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: October 27, 2016, 09:05:24 AM »
:lol And the Daleks and the Time Lords and the entire universe came to fear the name........ Pepe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:37 AM »

One who's only a casual observer.

The only series I've seen in full are Capaldi's.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1108 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »
:lol And the Daleks and the Time Lords and the entire universe came to fear the name........ Pepe.
https://imgur.com/a/EwKKc :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1109 on: October 27, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »

Not really. It was made very clear that the War Doctor doesn't affect the numbering on the technicality of not referring to himself as The Doctor (although I don't know what exactly he did refer to himself as. Maybe The Executioner, or The Doombringer, or the Destructionator, or Stormageddon Dark Lord of All)
I would have liked to see 8 instead of the War Doctor though, finally get some good screen time, instead of just the regeneration in Night of the Doctor. Not that I had a problem with John Hurt as the War Doctor, but it would have been nice for 8 to get a big ending.
Agreed. Although the DW movie had some pretty big flaws, I liked the Doctor and I've really liked what I've heard of his Big Finish audio dramas. And then I loved the Night of the Doctor, so it's a huge shame that they didn't make more of that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1110 on: October 28, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/EwKKc :D
:lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: December 04, 2016, 01:31:32 AM »
Class just finished its first season, and it looks like they're setting up the return of a well known Doctor Who villian for the second season, but I won't spoil it in case anyone is planning to watch it. The first season was not bad, although the characters were a bit annoying. Quill was easily the standout character. The second last episode with her as the focus was the best of the bunch.

I have pretty low expectations from the Christmas episode of Doctor Who, it looks silly. Many of the details for S10 don't look promising either, but after such a strong S9, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope Moffat can go out with a bang.

Offline bundy

« Reply #1112 on: December 06, 2016, 02:29:34 AM »
Anyone else planning on getting The Power of the Daleks when it's released. Animated version of the first Troughton story using the original audio. I'm really looking forward to this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: December 26, 2016, 01:23:58 AM »
Anyone else planning on getting The Power of the Daleks when it's released. Animated version of the first Troughton story using the original audio. I'm really looking forward to this.

I just got it for Christmas, haven't watched it yet. It was about a year ago I saw it for the first time (the reconstructions obviously), and I quite enjoyed the story, but found it hard to get into Troughton as the Doctor due to the tediousness of having no video. I expect I'll enjoy it even more now.

The Christmas episode was not bad, and some good light fun. It had little to do with Christmas, which was a plus. Overall I'm not a fan of the Christmas episodes of Who. I'm also really not a fan of superhero/comic book stuff, and aside from the magical thought gem idea, I overall thought the concept was handled really well, and parodied a lot of the sillier elements of comic books in a fun way. Having The Doctor appear at multiple points in Grant's life reminded me a bit of Doctor Who's A Christmas Carol episode. Was the machine he was building at the beginning a reference to The Angels Take Manhattan? Nice reference if it was.

While I don't dislike Nardole, I barely remember his role in last year's episode, and found him quite pointless in this one too. I know he appears in S10, so hopefully he's utilized better there. The little teaser for S10 looked good.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:30:41 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1114 on: December 26, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
I don't know how "good" I'd say the christmas special was if I'd be like analytic about it, but I don't really want to because the episode was a lot of fun. The christmas episodes are always pretty silly, and this was no exception, but I found myself laughing at a surprising amount of stuff in there, so thumbs up for having fun.

Didn't watch the s10 teaser but I'm excited for the new season!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: December 26, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
I saw the new Doctor Who Series trailer and oh man that new companion looks so annoying already.

Like jumping the shark Scrappy Doo annoying.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1116 on: December 27, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
Weird special. Overall, I liked it, but I was getting ready for disappointment when they were showing the guys with their heads split open. ClairvoyantCat and I were talking about the show earlier when he mentioned not liking it because "I came for campy sci-fi, and I got bad horror."

Didn't  make much of the comment at the time, but as I think about it, it's started to stick. As a longer term fan, I feel like Moffatt still gives you a mixed bag of genres, but now that I think about it it's no surprise a less seasoned viewer would get the impression that it leans heavily in the direction of "bad horror", even moreso than "camp sci-fi". Seems to be a problem unique to Moffat, too. Don't get me wrong - I've loved a lot of what Moffat has done for the show, but the Christmas special was just the reminder I needed as to why the show needs fresh vision behind it. Not sure it's going to improve with the guy who did Broadchurch behind the helm, but we'll see.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: December 27, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
It's not something unique to Moffat at all. The RTD era leaned more towards the bad horror stuff imo, and especially the campy stuff that gives the genre a bad reputation of being silly monsters. When Moffat does horror, he does it in a way that doesn't just feel like a B movie. Then there's the crap like Sleep No More, which we can blame on other writers like Gatiss rather than Moffat. They can't all be winners! :lol

This episode really didn't treat the bad guys as the focus, so I didn't consider it a horror episode even for Who. The bad guys were mostly there as a vehicle for the main superhero plot. They actually reminded me a lot of Parasyte, which I forgot to mention earlier.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:25:54 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline bundy

« Reply #1118 on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
DW has always had an element of horror. The show came under a lot of criticism from self appointed upholders of "Christian values" (Mary Whitehouse and co.) during the Philip Hinchcliff/Robert Holmes years, for it's 'inappropriate' content. Stories such as The Ark in Space, Pyramids of  Mars, The Deadly Assassin, The Brain of Morbius and the Seeds of Doom all have many of the elements of traditional horror movies and meld sci-fi with horror as many Hollywood movies such as Alien, The Thing and Frankenstein have done over the years. While I'm a big fan of the Hinchcliff stuff, like previous posters, the horror elements in recent series don't do much for me at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1119 on: December 29, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
Finally got to see the Christmas special.  I thought it was fun and harmless, and was a good vehicle for Capaldi to portray his version of the Doctor.  I also liked that it addressed the last night (24 years) of River Song.  However, I don't like that they used Matt Lucas as Nardole to do it.  I find the actor unnerving in every role I've seen him in, and he has never once played a character that is likable, including in Doctor Who.  Hopefully he won't continue into the new season.