Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 115983 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #560 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »
I just finished The Aztecs. I'm not as much into the more straight up historical stories without the sciencey stuff, but I still quite enjoyed that story. Quite nice sets too.

The keys of marinus is currently my favourite, followed closely by The Daleks. Given that Terry Nation wrote both, maybe that will become a trend for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #561 on: December 06, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
Yeah for the most part I didn't usually find the pure historical stories all that exciting, but they stop after a few seasons.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
I just finished watching The Sensorites. Another very good story. I liked the Sensorites, they were an interesting and reasonable race, and it kept up a solid pace. There's a lot of mystery solving in these early episodes.
I think in reality if a race was that sensitive to darkness and noise, their lives would be absolute hell. :lol It's no wonder they use telepathy to communicate, but their speaking voices are not too far off debilitating pain.

I believe Susan gives the first description of Gallifrey here (still unnamed at this point), which was cool, because I recall the 10th Doctor giving an almost identical description later on. A nice little callback, witnessed in reverse.
There have been at least a couple of references so far to The Doctor having only one heart, so that idea obviously came later. The Doctor's backstory isn't much developed at this point, mostly being a means to include the TARDIS as a plot device. It's interesting seeing that progress over time.

I thought the conclusion for the second elder was rushed given that he was the main bad guy of the Sensorites, but overall this was a very enjoyable story.

Flub of the story - "I heard them over....... over.... over talking......."
I think you meant "I overheard them talking" there, pal. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #563 on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:42 AM »
Yeah so much stuff gets added as the show goes on - Doctor Who lore as we have it now is informed by things introduced all throughout the years. Even the Doctor Who movie (the 8th Doctor's only appearance) introduced things that stuck around when the show was brought back. Fortunately some other things it tried to introduce were retconned (like the idea Doctor being half human!).

When the show started there was obviously no thoughts whatsoever regarding regeneration. That only came about because Hartnell was unwell but they wanted to keep the show going. I don't think it even became "regeneration" until maybe Tom Baker?

EDIT: And yeah the early years have quite a lot of flubbed lines. :lol That smooths out a lot after a couple of seasons. If you ever get to see any snippets or scenes from the original pilot version of the first episode, it's so much worse though - An Unearthly Child episode 1 is actually the refined version!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:02 AM »
I've only skimmed the 8th Doctor's movie. What did that introduce aside from the failed idea of being half human? (ugh American TV thinking people won't relate to a character unless they're enough like them)

I'm glad I watched An Adventure in Space and Time when it aired (before I'd even watched an episode of Doctor Who, incidentally). It gave a nice background to those early years, regarding the limited production values of the time, and the idea of "regeneration", so it's easy enough to look past that stuff. The stories and writing are good enough to make up for any such shortcomings. It's just an amusing little side thing for me.

And is it just me, or did the Doctor overreact a bit to Ian at the end of the Sensorites?
"At least they know where they're going"
"OH YEAH? WELL YOU CAN F*** RIGHT OFF"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #565 on: December 10, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »
I've only skimmed the 8th Doctor's movie. What did that introduce aside from the failed idea of being half human?
I can't remember exactly what now, but I remember noticing two or three things that hadn't ever happened/existed previously but which I was familiar with from the modern series.

And is it just me, or did the Doctor overreact a bit to Ian at the end of the Sensorites?
"At least they know where they're going"
"OH YEAH? WELL YOU CAN F*** RIGHT OFF"
The first Doctor was pretty damn grumpy sometimes. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: December 10, 2014, 04:29:07 AM »
I like the grumpiness, but he was a bit short tempered on that one! I thought he must have been joking at first.

I'm not too excited for Reign of Terror so far, being a historical episode, and with having two of them animated. First episode didn't do much for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: December 12, 2014, 06:22:58 AM »
I just finished Reign of Terror. Like other historical episodes, it was alright, but not one of my favourites. It largely seemed to consist of everyone getting arrested and then escaping and then repeating the process. :lol

Those two animated episodes were very cheaply done. Nasty hybrid 2D/3D facial animation, and a bunch of different animation styles that clashed horribly from shot to shot, and frantic confusing editing. So so many close ups. Still, better than having audio only.

The Doctor laying out the guard with the shovel to the back of the head was unexpected. But rather than serious concussion or death, it simply put him to sleep. And the first appearance of location shooting, with The Doctor walking across the countryside. I know there's some more location shooting coming up in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, a story I'm especially looking forward to. That will also be the first returning villian. History in the making!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm just about to start Planet of Giants, which if it lives up to its name, sounds amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #568 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
Those two animated episodes were very cheaply done. Nasty hybrid 2D/3D facial animation, and a bunch of different animation styles that clashed horribly from shot to shot, and frantic confusing editing. So so many close ups. Still, better than having audio only.
Is that one of the official BBC animations? They are fairly cheap, the point wasn't to try and fully replicate the originals, just to give an idea of what is going on visually to accompany the sound. I've watched some episodes that are audio-only with accompanying still shots, and it just doesn't work, so having ANY kind of animation is a blessing.

The Doctor laying out the guard with the shovel to the back of the head was unexpected. But rather than serious concussion or death, it simply put him to sleep.
The Doctor has gone through different phases. He wasn't always the pacificst he is now. The third Doctor in particular was quite a fighter.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Yeah, it was the official animation. I know that not every remade episode is the same animation company/style, and I prefer the more flat cartoony style of what I've seen for other recreations. I tried watching one of these episodes with the still images, but it's barely better than audio only. I'll still gladly take the animation over the alternatives, but the quality of it was a bit distracting too.

I just finished the first episode of the giant story. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #570 on: December 12, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
Ah ok, I don't think I've seen that animation style so I must have missed that one! It might have been before they'd done the official animations that I was at that stage. Yeah the cartooney ones are decent, those are what I'm more used to.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: December 12, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Well this was still cartoony, but they went for very detailed shading on the characters, and the close-ups were creepy, with a lot of facial movement. The Troughton ones look a little bit more simple Flash animated, which to me looks better because it keeps it simple.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: December 13, 2014, 07:43:46 AM »
I just finished Planet of Giants. Not bad overall, pretty ambitious in terms of ideas and sets, but I was hoping for more interaction with the regular sized people. I understand that it would have been difficult with their budget and technology though.

They really couldn't sort out their scale. They said they were about an inch high, but most of the time they appeared to be double that, while other times they seemed half of that. I'm not convinced an old man and a teenage girl could have climbed up a vertical drain pipe for what would have been the equivalent of about 200ft, and I assume they got out the same way, but Barbara was pretty much unconscious by that point, so don't get me started on that. The first episode was my favourite of the 3.

I've just started The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Already this has had several location shots, making it feel like the biggest story yet, and nothing has even happened so far. I can't wait.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
I just finished The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Damn! The production values of the show have come a long way since the start of the show, and this episode was huge in scope. Bigger more elaborate sets, a lot of extras, a ton of location shooting, more effects, and much slicker editing with crossfading between shots and the audio/music not suddenly cutting between scenes. And a great story too!

The Doctor ditched Susan pretty easily. Hey, I'll just leave my 15 year old grand daughter on a ruined planet in the aftermath of a Dalek attack with some creeper she just met and fell in love with where I currently have no means of returning reliably. :lol What's the deal with her parents anyway?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #574 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »
The Doctor ditched Susan pretty easily. Hey, I'll just leave my 15 year old grand daughter on a ruined planet in the aftermath of a Dalek attack with some creeper she just met and fell in love with where I currently have no means of returning reliably.
I dunno about that, I think that scene is really nicely done. Certainly other companions leave with considerably less fanfare (though admittedly they aren't his family)

:lol What's the deal with her parents anyway?
I'm not sure that's ever been addressed in the show.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: December 17, 2014, 03:04:35 AM »
The scene itself was nicely done from an emotional perspective, I just felt he let her go too easily, and also I don't think they had enough time to establish Susan's relationship with that guy to the point where I felt it was worth her leaving The Doctor.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #576 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »
Oh lordy, you're going to hate some future companion departures in that case. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: December 17, 2014, 04:38:03 AM »
:lol Nah, it didn't bother me at all, I just thought it was worth mentioning. Not a big deal. I just mention whatever crosses my mind as I go through them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #578 on: December 17, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
:lol I know, I was just being silly. But seriously, some of the future departures are exactly the same (woman goes off with man she's only just met) but seem way more out of the blue.

At least with Susan it was the first departure - I think after a while they just ran out of ideas.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: December 17, 2014, 07:11:52 AM »
I could more easily accept it for other companions, I think it was largely her age and relationship with The Doctor that made me bring it up.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #580 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
:lol What's the deal with her parents anyway?
I'm not sure that's ever been addressed in the show.
It isn't. However, there is a very convoluted explanation in an extended novel featuring the Seventh Doctor called Lungbarrow. If you're interested, I can go into detail about that, but it's not canon anyway.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #581 on: December 18, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Really excited for the Christmas special.   :metal

The episode title for the Series 9 premiere has been revealed aswell, I'll put it in small The Magician's Apprentice

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:58 PM »
Really excited for the Christmas special.   :metal

The episode title for the Series 9 premiere has been revealed aswell, I'll put it in small The Magician's Apprentice

So how many of us are taking that to mean Clara isn't coming back?
I read something about her doing another half season, which I hope is not the case simply because this season's arc was so perfect for her, and it would end on a good note, rather than outstaying her welcome as Amy and Rory did. Plus I'd like to see a companion that is considered Capaldi's.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #583 on: December 19, 2014, 12:10:06 AM »
I'd be very happy for Clara to stay on a bit longer as they have a really interesting dynamic going on at the moment. Title hints at a new companion, but (a) that could be Moffat's usual trickery, and (b) even if it is a new companion, it doesn't mean Clara is departing yet.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »
I'd be very happy for Clara to stay on a bit longer as they have a really interesting dynamic going on at the moment. Title hints at a new companion, but (a) that could be Moffat's usual trickery, and (b) even if it is a new companion, it doesn't mean Clara is departing yet.

Knowing Moffat, it could very likely be an intentional deflection.
I think Clara is a great companion, so if she stays I'm fine with that (assuming they continue to use her well), I just don't want her fizzling out like I feel Amy/Rory did, considering how great she's been this season. The end of the season was such a touching moment for their relationship, and there's still the suspicion that Clara is pregnant, so the timing just feels right for her to leave.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »
Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I'm not sure what to make of that episode. The Christmas episodes are always corny, and this was one of the most corny, but at least Santa wasn't real, at least what they saw of him, and most of it was a dream anyway.
Of course I knew it was going to still suggest that Santa was real at the end, even though I have absolutely no idea what the whole tangerine(?) thing was about. What the hell does that have to do with Santa?

As soon as they woke up the first time, I knew it would still be a dream, along with each subsequent time, which made it easier to accept most of the silly parts of the episode. You'd think that submitting to the fairytale of Santa would have the opposite effect of saving them, so that was super corny, including having The Doctor flying the sleigh. The bit with old Clara at the end felt unnecessary and confusing. I was hoping not to see Danny again, but he wasn't too annoying, for him.

Overall, kind of meh I suppose.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #586 on: December 25, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I liked it, not the greatest of specials but definitely among the better episodes with Capaldi. And I didn't mind the silliness, after some of the stuff they pulled off in the regular season, this was mild in comparison, so it didn't get on my nerves and I was able to enjoy it. I thought it was going to be the last time we see Clara, so I got scared a bit there in the end, that would have been a terrible way to send her off.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: December 25, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
I agree on the Clara bit. I thought that was possibly going to be her send-off, but Moffat very well may have written it with that belief in mind, knowing him. :lol

(I'm assuming that people are cautious enough to avoid this thread until they've seen the new episode, so I'm not too concerned about small text on spoilers)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #588 on: December 25, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »
It seemed like this is part one of a two-episode arc, characters kept throwing how he was dressed like a magician and the next episode is called The Magician's Apprentice, so the nightmare may not be entirely over yet.

Moffat is like those facehuggers. You never really know if it's not a dream within a dream within a dream. It's part of the charm but also it has its role in some parts of me going "FU, Moffat!" every now and then. Mostly an endearing "FU" of course :).

Also, not sure if it was posted here but I saw this on another forum: https://i.imgur.com/Y0zr09p.jpg
Wow.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: December 25, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
I did notice the magician connection, however he also referred to himself as looking like a magician in Time Heist, so maybe it was just a coincidence. The S9 opener may not have been planned or written yet when this script was written and shot either.

I don't get the impression that there will be any story connection, but I think that magician either refers to The Doctor, or is supposed to make us think it refers to him, or maybe it will work in a dual nature for whatever character is in the season opener.

What's the 11th Doctor doing looking all ripped? Was that for Terminator Genisys, or is that for a different upcoming role?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #590 on: December 25, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
Yeah, we'll see. I just hope it's a satisfying and not an ending that would haunt me for a few days like with Donna (as great as the ending was, I can't handle another tragedy like that!).

As for Smith, you are correct. He's pulling a reverse Bale and buffing up for some role in a Terminator movie. Why do they even bother making these is beyond me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: December 26, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »
While watching it, the opening scene was among the dumbest shit I've ever seen, and I had very little faith that anything in the rest of the episode could redeem it. But it actually did, for which I am very glad.

I thought it was an effective episode. A pretty cool concept with the dream crabs. Not without flaw, obviously, but good still.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: December 26, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
While watching it, the opening scene was among the dumbest shit I've ever seen, and I had very little faith that anything in the rest of the episode could redeem it. But it actually did, for which I am very glad.

I felt the same as I started watching it. By the point of the opening credits, I was thinking "well, this episode's pretty crap already", but it redeemed it by putting those scenes in context. I think I'd view a lot of it more favourably on a second viewing knowing how it plays out in advance, but like most Christmas episodes, it was still fairly average for me though.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #593 on: December 27, 2014, 01:08:29 AM »
I absolutely loved Last Christmas. Great concepts, kept me on the edge the entire time. I love the Dream Crabs, and would love to see them return alongside the Dream Lord. Shona was a great character, and I hope they revisit her-- it seemed like she was being set up for something, at least.

Great episode overall. Looking forward to The Magician's Apprentice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #594 on: December 27, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
I thought it was a great episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.