Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 115991 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
Man, Listen might be the best episode in a good, good while (not counting TDOTD). It had one of the best atmospheres yet, and the ambiguity of the ending is just perfect. The creepiness factor was there, but not overplayed, and the character moments were just brilliant. Easily one of Moffat's best scripts yet, and definitely the best of S8 thus far.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
I think a part of The Doctor's personality is that he's always risked his life if only to find answers, and also to help others. In showing The Doctor as a kid, we see Clara effectively helping plant that seed that made him The Doctor, helping him overcome his fear. And this episode was all about defining that core trait, as he feels the need to find answers, and also helps Rupert, even though to me The Doctor looked thoroughly terrified inside as he was telling Rupert not to look. He looked like he was almost in tears. It was subtle, but great. I also think that's why The Doctor didn't just pull the covers off whoever it was, because he was too scared to confirm his subconscious childhood fear. To me that was atypical for him, in a way that worked so perfectly for the episode.

That's true, but I don't think we generally, if ever, get scenes like the one where the Doctor unlocks the door of Orson's spaceship and orders Clara to go back into the TARDIS. Yes, the Doctor's curiosity has often found him and his companions in danger and he is often compelled to save others, but this is a bit different from that.

This is a situation where the Doctor is deliberately setting up a potential disaster, just to see what the hell might happen. He chose to unlock the door and he chose to stay outside of the TARDIS while Orson's ship was quickly falling apart around him. All so he can see if he can find out what is causing those noises outside and get an answer to his question.

I still don't believe it was supposed to be ambiguous that it could have been a monster. I think it was supposed to be ambiguous throughout the episode, then I feel it was resolved at the end that it was nothing, but that the fear we feel in these moments is a good thing, and we should use it to our advantage to overcome it. I do agree that the episode was making a message that it doesn't matter whether there's really a monster, but I don't think we were supposed to have any doubt by the end, only during the ride. And being such a core part of The Doctor's character that she planted, I don't think she wanted to reveal her part.

Eh. I still disagree and I have heard a lot of equally solid arguments from others that there was most certainly a monster in the episode. To me, I feel like the episode loses a fair chunk of its power if you give it a straight answer either way. I like that the ending has left me asking a lot of questions with potentially really interesting answers. We'll never actually get them, but that's fine. The point is that "Listen" has made us all think really hard about the episode. :hefdaddy

Either way, it says a lot about the depth of the episode that we can analyze it at this level, and also come to different conclusions.

Completely agreed.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »
That's true, but I don't think we generally, if ever, get scenes like the one where the Doctor unlocks the door of Orson's spaceship and orders Clara to go back into the TARDIS. Yes, the Doctor's curiosity has often found him and his companions in danger and he is often compelled to save others, but this is a bit different from that.

This is a situation where the Doctor is deliberately setting up a potential disaster, just to see what the hell might happen. He chose to unlock the door and he chose to stay outside of the TARDIS while Orson's ship was quickly falling apart around him. All so he can see if he can find out what is causing those noises outside and get an answer to his question.

I didn't mean that it was The Doctor as usual, but I think it was an extension of an existing part of his personality, in fact it led to what the episode implies helped him develop that personality in the first place. But at the same time, it was also driven by a level of fear and curiosity unlike anything we've seen from The Doctor, because it was related to such a defining childhood moment of fear. So it was something new, but also a natural extension of his existing character. It didn't feel out of place that he was acting differently. It was great writing to be able to add something new to the character, but make it feel like it was there all along.

Eh. I still disagree and I have heard a lot of equally solid arguments from others that there was most certainly a monster in the episode. To me, I feel like the episode loses a fair chunk of its power if you give it a straight answer either way. I like that the ending has left me asking a lot of questions with potentially really interesting answers. We'll never actually get them, but that's fine. The point is that "Listen" has made us all think really hard about the episode. :hefdaddy

I actually feel the episode gains from it being nothing.
A monster who has apparently perfected hiding to the point of going undetected throughout all of time and space despite appearing to everyone ever, and then they very easily find one, and then tell it to go when they could have confirmed it right there. Why would the perfect hiding creature just sit on the bed when you have two people there having a conversation, and just hang and let you see it? And aside from that "monster", the rest was very explainable too. It's not a believable idea, and the possibility of a monster wasn't a necessary part of the point.

The Doctor wasn't actually looking for the monster at all. It was a means to an end, which was to be scared. Rationally, The Doctor can deal with most things easily enough, but this was an almost primal fear from his childhood, perhaps the only thing he could think of that he was truly afraid of.

I think it's telling that The Doctor in that moment didn't just pull the sheets back as anyone would have done. Why did he look away from the monster and make it leave, but then keep searching to find if it exists? Because it was about him overcoming his own fear. He didn't look at the monster under the sheet once. He was taking his mind off it, reading the book, keeping his look fixed on the kid, then quickly turning his back on it and looking out the window, because he was terrified.
He didn't reveal the monster, because then there would be nothing to fear at all, because I think in his head he knew it was nothing. All along he knew the rational explanations, but deep down that's not what it was about for him. He let it go when he could very easily have found his evidence right there, and then went right on to find another. Proving it was real would have made it even more scary knowing there was such a terrifying and elusive creature, so I think he knew that it wasn't going to prove true. When he opened the door, it was going to be scary as hell regardless of any monsters, and it couldn't disprove the monsters either. He didn't want to find a monster. He wanted to find something he knew he could be afraid of.

Why does he want to be afraid? To become a good man. The Doctor is not sure whether he's a good man, but he wants to be. Refer to Clara's speech.
"Listen.....Please just listen. I know you're afraid. Being afraid is alright.....Fear is a super power..... Fear doesn't have to make you cruel or cowardly, fear can make you kind...... If you listen to nothing else, you're always going to be afraid, even if you learn to hide it......". And there was Clara's earlier bit about "A soldier so brave he doesn't need a gun....keep the whole world safe."

The Doctor wants to be brave, he doesn't want to repeat his past mistakes, which got brought up for him recently when he met the War Doctor and dealt with the Time War again, and also having trouble finding himself after the regeneration. The writing on the board wasn't from a monster, he wrote it himself subconsciously recalling that earlier speech (which we know he remembers subconsciously, because he recited it to Rupert for the same dreamed monster). "LISTEN" was a subconscious reminder to himself about that speech, where the word listen was emphasized several times to make the connection and reveal it to the audience, with all he needs to be a better man, so he goes on a search for that fear to learn to use it to be brave in the face of danger.

And the moment with Clara at the end realizing she was The Doctor's monster, and then coming back to the TARDIS knowing where The Doctor's quest came from was the "aha!" moment to me where it was a clear reveal to the audience. I didn't feel like there was any ambiguity at that point. I was very surprised to see anyone take it another way.
And I think it was intended to work as an allegory for fear for the audience, where we were given some relateable scary moments where we're scared of something irrational, then we learn and grow and realize there was nothing to fear, but that it's ok to be scared. It wasn't a story about a real monster, but about the monster we create for ourselves. Fear created it, fear can overcome it. The Doctor was learning to use that fear to overcome monsters, not to find them.

Maybe it was designed for people to make of it what they want, but for me that ending was very clear that it was nothing all along, and I didn't even consider it was supposed to be ambiguous by that point in the episode. That was the moment the episode clicked with me from being a little bit of a silly monster, to being a masterful episode that was so much deeper. To believe there was a chance of a physical monster like that would detract a little for me.

The more I think about the episode, the more I like it. Even though I disagree with some points brought up here, just the process of analyzing the episode gives me more appreciation for it, and how it fits into the story arcs. I now think it the best of the season so far.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:05:15 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
And yes, it's very strongly implied that Osron is Danny and Clara's great grandson. But this is Moffat, and if it's very strongly implied then it is almost certainly not that simple. Blob, never trust Moffat!

It's implied in that moment and I think they played Clara's reaction such that she was assuming it was her who was being mentioned, but Orson Pink plays the pronoun game - "one of my grandparents" - which leaves it ambiguous. Since I think we're going to see Danny Pink travelling in the Tardis before the season is out it could well be just him was who was being referred to.

However, the very fact that Orson Pink looked exactly like Danny Pink could well be less due to lazy casting/storytelling and more down to the whole repetition of Clara throughout time expressing itself through her descendants...

Meh, I think I'm over thinking it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2014, 02:38:40 AM »
As always, people online are saying that "Moffat must go".

lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »
As always, people online are saying that "Moffat must go".

lol

:lol
I'm starting to think that a lot of these people just don't pay much attention to the episodes. A lot of criticisms I see are just things that people missed in the episode. This episode was so loaded with subtlety that Moffat haters won't analyze and pay attention to.
I did happen to notice the episode has a current rating of 9.3/10 on imdb, so I think overall the response to this episode has been as positive as it deserves.

Speaking of Moffat, in this week's Doctor Who Extra episode for Listen, Clara says that they refer to the timey whimey stuff like her bit at the end in the barn as "Moffat loops". :lol I like it. Moffat is now synonymous with causality!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:53 AM »
Really enjoyed this episode! Like others have said, I'm still a bit confused about that whole scene in the children's home if there really was no monster-type-thing (also, the chalk? was that the Doctor's fear actually having the power to write?).
It also seemed to me like they were implying that Clara and Danny get together, since I thought he said Orson was part of Clara's timeline (could be wrong there), plus the toy is a "family" heirloom so there must be some kind of familial connection for him to give it to her.

For the writing on the chalkboard, Clara said it looked like his handwriting, so the alternative is that he had a lapse and didn't realize / forgot that he wrote it himself. Coming from Capaldi's Doctor, it wouldn't surprise me either. :lol

My suspicion is that Orson handed her the toy because he heard the stories passed down about Clara and The Doctor from Danny, including the bit in this episode when Danny was young, and any future episodes where Danny might be a companion. I think there will be a future episode where it clicks for him and realizes that Clara visited him as a kid, and she'll have to introduce The Doctor and bring him into the fold. That's my guess.

Orson said he didn't recognize Clara from family photos, but he made reference to time travel running in the family, so it might all refer only to Danny Pink.

True... he seemed like a total crazy/paranoid person in the beginning of the episode especially, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he had done it but that's still a bit of a stretch for me.

I agree that Danny is probably going to be brought into the fold, but what I don't get is why Orson would give Clara a family heirloom if she wasn't family.
Also, I don't think I'd recognize my great-grandma as a very young woman. I've only seen one or two photos and she was already pretty old in them.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
I've mentioned it already, but seeing the date scene with Danny and Clara in Listen cemented that belief for me - that Danny actually killed a woman, which is what Moffat was referencing with him being introduced as a "lady killer", because he sure as isn't a very smooth talker in that date scene. As to who he killed... maybe Missy? I mean, she is in Heaven already and interacts with dead people, so that's one possibility, though I'm not completely sold on that one. But I'm quite willing to bet something that the civilian that Danny killed is a woman.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »
That was definitely one of the best episodes i've seen in a while.

:clap:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
I don't watch very much DW - please can someone explain the War Doctor for me ? :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »
Basically, the War Doctor was the result of the 8th Doctor deciding that he couldn't do any more good as The Doctor (the one who heals), so, in his dying moments, he became a warrior instead, fighting the Time War, which culminated in the destruction of Gallifrey, leading future incarnations to deny the existance of the War Doctor, due to feeling shame towards his/their actions that he/they committed.

It's explained in The Day of the Doctor, but you might want to check that one out, 'cause it's not easy to explain and also a really awesome episode.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
I *think* i saw that episode but I can't remember.

I'll have to check the synopsis on Wiki.

Basically I barely saw any Chris episodes. I saw most of the David episodes and didn't really like Matt at all. :/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »
I've mentioned it already, but seeing the date scene with Danny and Clara in Listen cemented that belief for me - that Danny actually killed a woman, which is what Moffat was referencing with him being introduced as a "lady killer", because he sure as isn't a very smooth talker in that date scene. As to who he killed... maybe Missy? I mean, she is in Heaven already and interacts with dead people, so that's one possibility, though I'm not completely sold on that one. But I'm quite willing to bet something that the civilian that Danny killed is a woman.

He dug a well, and she fell in.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2014, 11:21:40 PM »

Basically I barely saw any Chris episodes. I saw most of the David episodes and didn't really like Matt at all. :/

Go do yourself a favor and watch the entirety of Chris's run ASAP. It's literally only thirteen episodes, but some of the best Who episodes ever are in that season (i.e. Dalek) and Chris was one of the absolute best Doctors ever. In fact, up until Capaldi arrived, I'd say he was easily the best of the Modern Who Doctors.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
I think Capaldi could wind up being remembered as the best Dr.

At *least* in the RTD / Moffatt era.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
I think Capaldi could wind up being remembered as the best Dr.

At *least* in the RTD / Moffatt era.

He's already a strong contender for being my absolute favorite Doctor. In fact, he probably already is.

No disrespect to any of his predecessors, but Peter Capaldi is easily the best actor to have ever played the role. He has the same natural charisma and unearthly presence that Tom Baker exuded, but he has an insane amount of control and range to match it. To make a Dream Theater comparison here, Capaldi is the acting equivalent of I&W/Awake-era Petrucci.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »

Go do yourself a favor and watch the entirety of Chris's run ASAP. It's literally only thirteen episodes, but some of the best Who episodes ever are in that season (i.e. Dalek) and Chris was one of the absolute best Doctors ever. In fact, up until Capaldi arrived, I'd say he was easily the best of the Modern Who Doctors.

Really? I really disliked Eccelston, and he's generally ranked very low among the Doctors, especially compared to Tennant/Smith. A lot of those early episodes were pretty terrible too. Dalek was a great episode, and the final two parter was pretty good, and the two parter Moffat wrote is considered one of the better ones (thought it was average personally). Aside from that, farting aliens, attack of the killer mannequins, time dragons, stretched out skin people. How far the show has come! :lol

Capaldi's Doctor is so different that I can't really compare him to the rest. As usual, there are elements I really miss from the previous Doctor, along with new elements in their place that I'll miss once he's replaced. Tennant/Smith/Capaldi are all amazing Doctors. The strength of the writing this season is really elevating Capaldi quickly though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:04:48 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »
I loved Ecceleston's Doctor. As for the quality of his season, I respectfully disagree with you. The Slitheens were shit, definitely, but I enjoyed the rest of that season a lot. In fact, Tennant's first season was largely utter crap in comparison. Hell, even Mark Gatiss had a pretty decent episode in Series 1 with The Unquiet Dead!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
Tennant's first season wasn't much better, as it undoubtedly had its fair share of crap too, such as Love and Monsters, and Fear Her.
But I think I'd give it the edge for the two parters, and it also had The Girl in the Fireplace, but there wasn't that much difference in quality. I think the quality was on a gradual increase for all of the RTD era, but the Tennant episodes were better just for having Tennant to carry them.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

Honestly IMO, the series with Eccleston is a must see. Especially The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances. And i don't get why Eccleston is constantly rated so low in the fandom, in my list he is fifth after Tom Baker/ Pertwee/ Davison and Capaldi.

The last episode got me thinking. What if there were monsters after all. What if this episode was a teaser for a new enemy, something they are gonna use later, maybe in series 9? Some invisible alien race, that is gonna cause some headache for the doctor later. If i remember correctly, The Silence were introduced in a same way.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
Tennant's first season was about equal overall imo, as it undoubtedly had its fair share of crap too, such as Love and Monsters, and Fear Her.
I think I'd give it the slight edge for the two parters though, and it also had The Girl in the Fireplace, but there wasn't that much difference in quality. I think the quality was on a gradual increase for all of the RTD era, but the Tennant episodes were better just for having Tennant to carry them.

I'm honestly cringing just reading this. :lol

Series 1 is probably my favorite season of NuWho so far, although Series 5 is a strong contender too, so to see it being compared to what is probably my absolute least favorite season is astounding. But that's the thing with opinions; we all have 'em.

Also I have to disagree with Ecceleston vs. Tennant as far as their acting goes. Both are terrific actors, but I personally prefer the more subtle approach that Ecceleston demonstrated.

Honestly IMO, the series with Eccleston is a must see. Especially The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances. And i don't get why Eccleston is constantly rated so low in the fandom, in my list he is fifth after Tom Baker/ Pertwee/ Davison and Capaldi.

The last episode got me thinking. What if there were monsters after all. What if this episode was a teaser for a new enemy, something they are gonna use later, maybe in series 9? Some invisible alien race, that is gonna cause some headache for the doctor later. If i remember correctly, The Silence were introduced in a same way.

THANK YOU. Someone who agrees with me on this! :lol :tup :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
Tennant's first season was about equal overall imo, as it undoubtedly had its fair share of crap too, such as Love and Monsters, and Fear Her.
I think I'd give it the slight edge for the two parters though, and it also had The Girl in the Fireplace, but there wasn't that much difference in quality. I think the quality was on a gradual increase for all of the RTD era, but the Tennant episodes were better just for having Tennant to carry them.

Series 1 is probably my favorite season of NuWho so far, although Series 5 is a strong contender too, so to see it being compared to what is probably my absolute least favorite season is astounding. But that's the thing with opinions; we all have 'em.

Also I have to disagree with Ecceleston vs. Tennant as far as their acting goes. Both are terrific actors, but I personally prefer the more subtle approach that Ecceleston demonstrated.

I just found Eccelston to be completely wrong for the part of The Doctor. He looked like a thug, and always had that out of place goofy smile. He wasn't believable as The Doctor as all of the more recent ones were.

S5 is my favourite, so at least we can find some common ground, but I have no idea how S1 could be considered on par with that. I'd easily consider it the weakest of the RTD era, and I'm not that big on any of the RTD era to begin with. Heck, the best thing about the RTD era was still Moffat. :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2014, 12:41:17 AM »

I just found Eccelston to be completely wrong for the part of The Doctor. He looked like a thug, and always had that out of place goofy smile. He wasn't believable as The Doctor as all of the more recent ones were.

S5 is my favourite, so at least we can find some common ground, but I have no idea how S1 could be considered on par with that. I'd easily consider it the weakest of the RTD era, and I'm not that big on any of the RTD era to begin with. Heck, the best thing about the RTD era was still Moffat. :lol

I disagree, but I think we're just stuck on different opinions here. I found him to be perfect for the part.

Well, for starters, neither season is completely perfect. Both have some duds in them; S1 has the Slitheen stories and S5 has The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks and The Vampires of Venice. But both have some pretty freaking incredible episodes too.

I do agree that Moffat was generally the best thing about RTD's run, but I do think that he's generally suffered a bit in quality since taking over as showrunner. This series seems to be a return to form on his part.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:19 AM »
Well, for starters, neither season is completely perfect. Both have some duds in them; S1 has the Slitheen stories and S5 has The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks and The Vampires of Venice. But both have some pretty freaking incredible episodes too.

I do agree that Moffat was generally the best thing about RTD's run, but I do think that he's generally suffered a bit in quality since taking over as showrunner. This series seems to be a return to form on his part.

I agree with most of that. I'm certainly not saying Moffat is perfect, as every season has had weaker episodes, and S7 was his weakest yet (although Name/Day/Time of the Doctor were great). And so far S8 has the makings of being the best season of the series since its return, with only Robot of Sherwood letting it down.

But even the weaker episodes you mentioned don't come close to being as weak as the stuff I've mentioned from the RTD era. I could name several dud episodes from the Moffat era, but then I remember that we used to get episodes like this-

And suddenly Moffat's worst doesn't seem so bad after all. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2014, 02:18:13 AM »
Beast Below and Vampires of Venice are great episodes. The only "dud" in that season really is Victory of the Daleks, and even that's not bad, it's just a bit nothingy.

And I like Ecclestone, but I don't think I'd describe his performances as more subtle than the others.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2014, 02:23:56 AM »
I think I liked Victory of the Daleks a little more than you guys (I don't think it's amazing, but I don't consider it one of the duds). The only downer for me is those ugly Dalek designs that quickly got ditched for the old ones again. :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:50 AM »
Eccleston was the first doctor I saw, so for that whole "first" season, he was naturally the only doctor in my mind, and watching him regenerate away was sad. Now after seeing it all I think both Tennant and Smith were better Doctors, but Eccleston will always be that first one for me. So I like every doctor of the new-who era.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Eccleston was the first doctor I saw, so for that whole "first" season, he was naturally the only doctor in my mind, and watching him regenerate away was sad. Now after seeing it all I think both Tennant and Smith were better Doctors, but Eccleston will always be that first one for me. So I like every doctor of the new-who era.

This exactly. And though there were some pretty lame episodes that first season... The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances <3
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
I like them all as well. Even with the classic era there aren't any that I dislike, though of course I much prefer some to others. But I enjoy the variety of having different Doctors with different personalities.

So far I am loving Capaldi.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »
The only episodes from Nine's run I never cared for were the Slitheen episodes. I enjoyed End of the World. Sounded like something Douglas Adams would have written

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
The only episodes from Nine's run I never cared for were the Slitheen episodes. I enjoyed End of the World. Sounded like something Douglas Adams would have written

Completely agreed. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
Whenever telling anyone about DW I've always said that 9 has some of the best episodes and some of the most pure shit episodes. The writing just wasn't strong with 9 but as DW progressed the writing grew better and better. I would rank the Doctors as

1. Smith
2. Eccelston
3. Tennant
4. Capaldi

Story wise
1. Smith/Tennant
2. Eccelston
3. Capaldi

I think Capaldi will over take all of them for me if it continues to be this good, well maybe except for Smith.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
Ooh, we haven't ranked Doctors yet in this new thread!

It's way too early to rank Capaldi, but so far I'm expecting him to end up right near the top. I also don't really know how and where to rank John Hurt. I know McGann was also only in one story, but at least he was the star of it, plus he was in Night of the Doctor, plus he has all the audio dramas.

1. Matt Smith
2. David Tennant
3. Tom Baker
4. Patrick Troughton
5. Chris Eccleston
6. Paul McGann
7. Peter Davison
8. John Pertwee
9. Colin Baker
10. Sylvester McCoy
11. William Hartnell

Numbers 9-11 move around a lot depending on my mood.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
I liked McCoy a ton more than Colin Baker.

Even as a wee bairn I was disappointed when Davidson regenerated into him and I didn't care for his Dr.

It was a relief when McCoy came along and I enjoyed his Doctor if I remember rightly.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
I didn't care for CB in his first few episodes either, but that was the writing more than anything else. I appreciate what they were trying to do, making him more antagonistic and so on, but they pushed it a bit too far and he ended up just being annoying. He settled in though and the writing improved, and by the end I was really liking him. I think my opinion of him has also improved because of the audio dramas, where his Doctor is really very witty and entertaining.

I be am boner inducing.