Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116023 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
I didn't quite like Androzani as Genesis, which in turn was a real stunner!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
An interesting episode, with the concept of morality, but fell short I feel in making the Daleks feel scary again. Maybe not the point.

There was a great callback to the first Dalek episode of the new Doctor Who series.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
I liked the continuation of exploring his darker side, and I also liked that Missy/heaven is clearly a story arc they're going to stick with fairly prominently. She's gathering people up when they die - no clue how she's catching them though, but I imagine Moffat might start to reveal some information in the next few episodes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
I don't believe the point was to make the Daleks scary again, truthfully. The point was really the moral dicotomy within the doctor, the contradiction between his overreaching love for life and all its form and his parallel thousand-year hatred for the most vicious creatures in the universe.

I really believe it was an amazing thing to show what happened the moment the Doctor was given the opportunity to paint a maleable being's mind with his own memories. We saw in the end what color stuck to the canvas best.

Anther great episode, would and will watch again!
- Marco

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
Haven't seen any of the new episodes, but I don't believe anything can make a Dalek scary. They're just too lame.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Haven't seen any of the new episodes, but I don't believe anything can make a Dalek scary. They're just too lame.
To this I say:

Youaretheweakestlink. Goobye.

You are unauthorized, your death will now be implemented.

YOU! ARE! AN! E-NE-MY! OF! DA! DA-LEKS! YOU! WILL! BE! EX-TEERMINATED!!

- Marco

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
That entire first series of Doctor Who with Ecclestone really made the Daleks scary. Especially the episode "Dalek"
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »
That entire first series of Doctor Who with Ecclestone really made the Daleks scary. Especially the episode "Dalek"

Too bad Journey's End happened then.  :lol
- Marco

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »

Even there I didn't think they were scary, but that's definitely the closest they've come. I was really impressed by Eccleston in that episode.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
Tonight is Dalek meets The Invisible Enemy

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
Luckily it's better than the latter.

EDIT: Now I've finished watching it, and I liked it a lot. I'm enjoying the darker side to the Doctor a lot - that scene when the antibodies were first introduced was brilliantly written and brilliantly performed. Also digging the seeds of the story arc, as welk as the hinted story of Danny Pink - he seems like a much more interesting character than recent male companions. The only thing that I'd criticise is the fact that the supporting characters weren't really interesing or really developed in any shape or form.

SPECULATION: Danny's introduced as a lady killer, yet acts in quite a bumbling manner when talking to Clara. Plus, we know he's killed a civilian. Maybe it's Moffat letting us know in a clever way that he actually killed a woman?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:36:18 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
I thought that episode was the scariest the Daleks have been in a little while, actually killing people and such, but they've never been close to legitimately scary.

I liked the idea of the episode, with the Doctor struggling with whether he's good or bad, and the change between initially not wanting to help the Dalek, then helping the Dalek, then trying to destroy it once it turned evil again, then deciding to help it again to turn good, then realizing that his own hate turned it bad again. There was a constant struggle throughout the episode that played out nicely, and he came out of it even less sure of who he is.

This Doctor is much more flawed, and cold, which makes Clara a lot more vital this season. It reminds me of the RTD era, where the Doctor had a tendency to become cold and dispassionate, while his companion helped give him perspective and humanity. I think Clara is much more than an obligatory tag-along this season, and that he needs her more than ever.

So far I don't like Missy or Danny Pink at all, there's just not enough connection there for me to care about yet. That should change as they reveal more about their story, but for now it's just an entirely separate thing taking up time.

There have definitely been changes this season. So far, I'm liking them. The editing also felt more timey-wimey.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:19:05 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Augh, what a beautiful episode. Capaldi is SO dark, and his portrayal of the Doctor is fantastic. He's really coming into his character and he hasso much chemistry with Clara.

I loved the increased darkness and the Doctor not caring as much as he would have in the past-- he really has a "ain't nobody got time for that" attitude towards everything and he's here for business and business only. The full-circle change from "you would make a good Dalek" to "you are a good Dalek" was mindblowing, and as absolutely haunting as it was originally in "Dalek."

I enjoyed Pink's introduction-- much more real feeling than Rory, and his portrayal of his character is a bit more subtle than usual, which I'm enjoying. Missy's storyline/arc is also happily being inserted to each episode, and I'm really interested in where it all is heading-- Moffat's masterplan will certainly strike again.

Overall, great episode, great development, and if the other episodes are of the quality of the last two, series 8 MIGHT just be the best series of DW yet. Robot of Sherwood looks interesting, and I've heard good things about it, so hopefully next week's episode will be just as good as this one.

Also, did anyone else LOVE the psuedo-70's psychedelia of the crew entering the Dalek eyestalk? It reminded me of classic sci-fi, and that was great. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
Overall, I thought this episode was just...ok. Capaldi kills it. Don't like Pink. I'd be cool with Journey being a future companion being foreshadowed, kinda like Donna. Daleks were cool here. This may make me sound like I am not a fan but I really am, sometimes the stories leave me feeling wanting more in a bad way though.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »
Personally I'd say that the point of "Into the Dalek" was that it was more of a Heart of Darkness-type story where the Doctor is forced to confront his own personal biases and hatred, rather than it specifically trying to make the Daleks scary again. If the latter happened, which I think it kinda did, it was more of a byproduct of the episode as a whole.

But yeah, I absolutely loved this episode. Next week's episode should be 'alright,' but I'm expecting it to be the dud of the season (or at least one of the more average episodes). It's "Listen" that I'm excited to see, personally.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 11:06:29 AM »
Next week's episode does look a bit fluff to me, but the name implies robot, and it could still be a good opportunity for character development from everyone. So I still expect it to be entertaining, even if it is ultimately one of the filler episodes of the season.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
Apparently on Dailymotion, it now looks like you can't watch full episodes of classic Who in one shot. There now split in thirds. I wonder why?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Probably depends on the serial. I searched a random one (Spearhead from Space) and I found plenty people that uploaded them in the original 25-minute episodes.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
I'm still not sure I like Peter Capaldi as the doctor.  :sad:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
Do you feel like elaborating on that? (not trying to be a dick, just curious)

« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Ok.
I can't understand what he is saying a lot of the time (talks too quick)
He is too serious. All the jokes come from elsewhere, instead of from him (all doctors since the reboot have been funny)
And, on another note (not just Peter Capaldi)
The stories haven't been all that good.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
Ok.
He is too serious. All the jokes come from elsewhere, instead of from him (all doctors since the reboot have been funny)

Closed captioning is your friend.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Loved the episode! Great concept and I love Capaldi as the Doctor.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
It's definitely not the speed, because he talks MUCH slower than Matt Smith. It's probably just his accent, but I think you'll get used to that.

Disagree strongly here - he jokes a lot but with more of a dry, sarcastic humour (more like Ecclestone than the last two doctors).

Fair play, that's a matter of taste/preference.

As indeed is the Doctor overall. None of the Doctors are universally liked (Tenant easily comes closest). He may grow on you, but no harm done if not!

I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
Yeah, maybe it's just his accent. As for his humor, as a very sarcastic person (aka, a twat who never takes anything seriously) I loved the humour of ecclestone, and wish that he could have stayed longer. But, I don't think his humour is the same to that of Capaldi.
Although. I do think ill get used to him, at the present moment, I'm not a fan.

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Ok.

Closed captioning is your friend.
My dad watches it with me, and closed captioning pisses him off to no end  :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
It's definitely not the speed, because he talks MUCH slower than Matt Smith. It's probably just his accent, but I think you'll get used to that.

It's not the accent (at least not primarily). I never had a single problem with Amelia/Amy Pond's Scottish accent. The problem is that Capaldi mumbles, which in combination with talking fast with that the accent makes it really difficult to make out on first go.
He needs to enunciate a bit better. It's only an occasional problem, but both episodes have required skipping back to listen to some lines multiple times. I'm just starting to accept that this is going to be the norm for this Doctor.

I also disagree that he's too serious though. I very much dislike serious characters, and the thought of a "darker" Doctor worried me at first, because I don't generally like that direction. But this Doctor definitely has a great blunt, dry sense of humour, and a lot of the humour comes from him being a bit of a jerk to people, and not caring.

-Do you use it to shrink the surgeons so they can climb inside the patients?
-Exactly
-Fantastic idea for a movie. Terrible idea for a proctologist.

:lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2014, 12:37:23 AM »
Karen Gillan's accent isn't very strong. Capaldi is proper Scottish. I think you'll get used to it - I am already as my girlfriend and her family are Scottish (plus I have a number of Scottish colleagues) and I've followed every line in the two episodes so far!

-Do you use it to shrink the surgeons so they can climb inside the patients?
-Exactly
-Fantastic idea for a movie. Terrible idea for a proctologist.

:lol
:lol Love it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:31 AM »
I haven't watch anything of the new season but I love your reactions so far. :) I'm really, really excited, but I'm gonna hold off until every episode is released so I can watch them anytime I desire.

By the way, is there any legal way for a fellow Swede to watch these? Doctor Who is one show I'll gladly pay to watch, is there any international stream or anything of the sort? Netflix took a really long time to get the latest season's, especially Netflix in Sweden.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:06 AM »
Karen Gillan's accent isn't very strong. Capaldi is proper Scottish. I think you'll get used to it - I am already as my girlfriend and her family are Scottish (plus I have a number of Scottish colleagues) and I've followed every line in the two episodes so far!

I hope you're right! I otherwise think Capaldi is perfect so far. It's just frustrating missing the occasional great line and having to decipher it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
That was a great read. It must have been a challenge writing for a Doctor that wasn't even cast yet! Crazy that the script turned out as good as it is.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
That's a really great interview, thanks for the link Marco :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
:( I still fail to see what everyone likes about the show in general. I like Capaldi but i've never liked the writing of the show. ***

Into the Dalek was not bad but the things I get from watching the show are extremely vague motivations for anything and a crisis which is solved in a jiffy.

Like why did they capture a Dalek in the first place ? And why did the Doctor and Clara suddenly agree to be shrunk down and put inside it ?

*** This is just me though. I wish I enjoyed it more than I do.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
Do you like any of DW since the reboot?