Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 116009 times)

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
Loved every minute of it. Capaldi was awesome, really looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the rest of the series. I think the best has been brought out in Jenna too, Clara had more character development in this episode than she did all of Series 7.  I have very high hopes for this series now! :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:22 AM »
I loved the references to past doctors / tardis decor.

Made me smile a lot when he said " there used to be more circles on the walls" because that's the TARDIS I grew up with.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
TIL, Kotowboy smiles.

Also, very good episode. Clara was more developed in this one episode than in all of s7.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
TIL, Kotowboy smiles.

Urban Dictionary to the rescue.

Err... I mean TTR.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
I always love when doctor who goes in a darker direction. I really liked Deep breath and am really looking forward to the rest of the season.

The hot air "balloon" was a nice touch.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
Really enjoyed this! Loving Capaldi and loved the tie-in to Girl in the Fireplace. I've also missed my favorite lesbians   :P
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
Well that was pretty awesome. I really liked Capaldi, though I'm having trouble understanding some of his lines. Might have to rewatch it, though that's no chore with an episode as good as this. And that ending was great, though I don't think that that's the Rani. Dat Matt Smith telephone call though.

Also, Jenny is super super cute. :heart
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »
I had completely forgotten about this due to some gaming frustrations. Time to catch up.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
Peter, you can stay as long as you want. Great episode. Only complaint I have is he needs to lighten up the accent just a bit to understand him, for instance, I totally missed his line about Amy

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
Yeah it will take a few more episodes for me to adjust, I didn't understand a few bits here and there. What was that about Amy?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
When Clara was trying to reach his sonic with her feet, he said that he wanted Amy back. I think it was a reference to Amy having long legs?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »
Absolutely loved the episode, and was thrilled to see Matt Smith one last (?) time. Capaldi will be a joy in this role.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
I liked the episode but not the story of it. The introduction of characters and some of the development was great, though. When the Doctor left Clara there on her own... And the restaurant scene was brilliant!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
Out of town yesterday, so I missed the episode (couldn't download it. Can't be arsed to watch the hatchet job BBC-A does to long episodes having to add commercial breaks) but I caught it today, and it was brilliant. Capaldi is brilliant, the episode was brilliant, everything from the moment the Doctor and Clara met in the restaurant was brilliant, and the sucker punch of Eleven calling Clara was played perfectly. Amazing, amazing, amazing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
New Season 8 wallpaper! :D

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
Want. Please post.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
Gorgeous, but sadly too small.  :-[

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
God, I get that all the fuckin' time.  :'(

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
Gorgeous, but sadly too small.  :-[

What do you mean? How big is your PC screen?  :lol
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
1440 x 900.

I've been told it's a good size.

:eyebrows:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
It's way thicker than it's long. Just sayin'   :yarr
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
As all good screens are.

At least, that's what she said.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2014, 04:10:01 PM »
I'm rockin' dat 1920 x 1080.

CLEARLY over compensating. This is my big truck, guys.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:12:12 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »
:lol, you guys. Imma try out that sweet third one for a while and see if I like it better than my creepy Steven Wilson "Index" wallpaper...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »
Rant time!

It seems everywhere else on the internet is nothing but Moffat bitching. The comments on every Youtube video (yeah, that was my first mistake) are just facepalm-worthy.

They put up a clip of the 10th Doctor's fake-out regeneration, and people are bitching about Moffat counting it as a real regeneration. Is there any reason to believe it wasn't intended to use up a regeneration? Why wouldn't it have used up a regeneration? He still used up the regeneration energy, he just diverted it before it could change his appearance, and it was enough to create a whole new Doctor later on. Pretty sure that counts, but no, people are still blaming Moffat for RTD's copout regeneration anyway.

The 12th Doctor's first episode had him wearing pyjamas. But the 10th Doctor's first episode had him in pyjamas! So people bitch that Moffat's out of ideas and rehashing. Pretty sure pyjamas are not counted as an original plot idea. I'm pretty sure it's just clothing.

The next episode has a Dalek chained up in it. RTD already did an episode with a captured Dalek chained up. Let's criticize it for copying another episode before actually seeing the episode! These episodes are clearly identical! Moffat, you hack!

They're adding a new male character? Ooh Moffat has to put in his love stories. Doctor Who shouldn't have love stories. RTD would never have done this! Except for Rose being with Micky. Then falling in love with the Doctor and having the sappy happy ending with a human clone of The Doctor. That's like fan-fic levels of sap. They should have left it alone after the Doomsday ending. And Martha instantly loved the Doctor. The only RTD companion who didn't have a thing for the Doctor was Donna, and that's because she was old and people wouldn't want to see it.

Moffat ruined the Daleks by overusing them! Never mind the fact that RTD used them just as much. S6 barely used them at all, and not as a main plot point. I've heard that they have to use the Daleks every season to retain the rights to use them, although I'm not sure if that's just a myth. I like the majority of the Dalek episodes, and they're iconic, so I don't care how many times they use them, as long as they're original stories.

At this point, I think people just try way too hard to find criticism because they want to hate Moffat. The Moffat era certainly isn't perfect, and S7 was his weakest overall, but I can't imagine how it's any worse overall than the RTD era, with its farting aliens, cat doctors, flat skin people, werewolves, alien fat bastard with a mohawk who absorbs people, the girl who is evil because she draws pictures with crayons, the midget tweety bird doctor, getting attacked by a giant bee man etc.
And a lot of the criticisms are just because people aren't paying attention. How can The Doctor be over 2000 years old? RTD told me that he's only 900!

I don't know if it's nostalgia because people got used to 5 years of RTD first, but there must be some kind of rose coloured glasses effect going on (no pun intended). Both eras of Doctor Who have their strengths and weaknesses, but people only seem to criticize the Moffat era for doing things that were done to the same extent by RTD, yet people hold RTD up on a pedestal like he's untouchable. I don't get it.
I watched all of nuWho for the first time in one go over a couple of weeks, so I don't feel like I have any major bias towards either era, but for me the changeover at S5 was very much welcome, and when I've gotten other people into the show, I start from the Moffat era. I have trouble picking out great single episodes to show people from the RTD era (the double episodes are the better ones), and when I do, incidentally, they're the Moffat episodes anyway.

I'm glad DTF is apparently the one place on the internet where the Doctor Who fans don't suck. :lol Everyone here is pretty reasonable and fair, regardless of which era they prefer.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 03:50:43 AM »
You shouldn't get so angry about it Blob, it's the same as with anything else longstanding (see: Metallica, Dream Theater, etc.). Some people get on board at a certain point and THAT is the golden era and anything different is wrong.

And remember that a critical minority always appears bigger than it is online. Around the world, Doctor Who is as popular as it has ever been, probably more so, and I suspect those who don't like the new stuff are quite annoyed about that so speak up against it even more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 04:03:37 AM »
Oh, I'm not angry about it, it just annoys me enough that I needed a good rant. :lol

Given Doctor Who's continuing popularity (and probably the most popular it's been since returning), I have no doubt it is a minority in the real world, but on the internet, it's effectively a majority, because the people who are content with the current state of the show don't have the need to complain about it, so the only people commenting are the detractors. It just bugs me as a new fan to have to put up with that everywhere. Dangit, I'm a new fan, I want to talk with other fans about how good the show is!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:05 AM »
Around the world, Doctor Who is as popular as it has ever been, probably more so, and I suspect those who don't like the new stuff are quite annoyed about that so speak up against it even more.
Fucking THIS.

Remember, some people are only happy when they're miserable.  This is called the internet.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
I love when people rant about Doctor Who and prove that all they likely ever watched was the new series, and maybe not even the first season.

Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor was the prototype for "the Doctor lays in bed in his pajamas while recovering from regeneration." Back in, you know, 1970.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 07:22:51 AM »
Well, clearly Robert Holmes was ripping off RTD. It is a show about time travel after all, it all makes sense.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:42:46 AM by Scorpion »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »
I love when people rant about Doctor Who and prove that all they likely ever watched was the new series, and maybe not even the first season.

Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor was the prototype for "the Doctor lays in bed in his pajamas while recovering from regeneration." Back in, you know, 1970.  :lol

Another strike against the haters!
It's even worse that some people don't get the callback for The War Doctor saying his body was wearing a bit thin before regenerating, and then have no idea why he was regenerating.
I haven't seen much of the old episodes, but damn, every fan should be familiar with the regeneration sequences at the very least.

I don't have the intention of watching the original episodes any time soon, because it's just a downright daunting amount to get through, but I like to at least make myself familiar with any references and gain a bit of insight as a fan. There's so much history there.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
If there's one classic Doctor Who episode everyone should have watched by now, it's Genesis of the Daleks.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
If there's one classic Doctor Who episode everyone should have watched by now, it's Genesis of the Daleks.

"The Caves of Androzani" would like to have a word with you.
Do you read Sutter Cane?