Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 279282 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #3080 on: June 08, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
Random thoughts about my romantic endeavors: Sitting here a little buzzed, I'm just thinking about how shitty it is to have social anxiety when you want to meet new people (mainly for romantic reasons). I have no idea how to talk to people and I drive girls away before I can show how nice, down to earth, and real I am. If women could just get past the initial awkwardness that comes with social anxiety, I could show them how good to them I would be, and then maybe I wouldn't be stuck being alone anymore. Because as much as I'm an introvert and a loner, I really miss falling asleep next to somebody.

I get it (I have a similar story to tell as Prog Snob) but I have to say, "social anxiety" can only be part of it.  Where are you looking to meet them?  HOW are you looking to meet them?   Do you have ANYTHING that is a "comfort zone" to lead with?   There's also the notion that "it only takes one".   

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3081 on: June 08, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »
Random thoughts about my romantic endeavors: Sitting here a little buzzed, I'm just thinking about how shitty it is to have social anxiety when you want to meet new people (mainly for romantic reasons). I have no idea how to talk to people and I drive girls away before I can show how nice, down to earth, and real I am. If women could just get past the initial awkwardness that comes with social anxiety, I could show them how good to them I would be, and then maybe I wouldn't be stuck being alone anymore. Because as much as I'm an introvert and a loner, I really miss falling asleep next to somebody.

I get it (I have a similar story to tell as Prog Snob) but I have to say, "social anxiety" can only be part of it.  Where are you looking to meet them?  HOW are you looking to meet them?   Do you have ANYTHING that is a "comfort zone" to lead with?   There's also the notion that "it only takes one".

The only thing that I feel comfortable talking about is music. There really is no comfort zone because I'm extremely awkward in person and meeting people online is so impersonal that it's hard to show people who I am as a person. I also have regular anxiety as well as depression which makes things even worse.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3082 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
I'm going to suggest working on your anxiety then (I say this as a person who works at an anxiety clinic). It's helpful for you, and it increases your chances of meeting people. It's not super helpful to be upset when someone isn't willing to put in a good amount of extra work for someone they don't know.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: June 09, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
Can I offer something else as well, that happened to work for me?

Try not to make every conversation about "meeting my true love and expressing every nuance of my being so she knows the real me!".  That's too much pressure.    I was traveling a lot for a while and I was in a marriage that was shitting the bed pretty quickly, so I found myself in bars often.   I made it a point to talk to ONE PERSON - male or female, didn't matter - I didn't know each time, even if it is just pointing to the TV and saying "can you believe that shit?" or asking the person "what beer is that?  It looks good" (obviously not if the person is drinking a Coors Light out of a bottle or something obvious).   

Unless you're harboring something - like lace panties under your jeans, or bodies neatly dressed and labeled in your freezer - they'll unpeel the onion in due course.   If you shoot your wad (FIGURATIVELY!  I meant that FIGURATIVELY!) in the first five minutes, what more do they have to find out about you (that is good anyway)?   

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #3084 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »

There are many people out there who think of themselves as a good person with great qualities that make them deserving of having someone in their lives, but the reality is, attraction doesn't care about "deserves". You've described yourself as "nice, down to earth, and real". That's all fine and good, but you need to be fun or perceived as such. You're going to get what you go out there and take.

I can't profess to knowing step-by-step how one breaks out of their shyness shell, but for me personally, it took getting the shit kicked out of me in other aspects of life to reach a point of just not giving a shit anymore. As tragic as that may sound, it's an empowering place to be, although I wish it could have been sooner and through a different method.

However, once you do shed shyness and being overly self-conscious, learn to dance. I know a lot of guys think they're too cool for it, but where do you generally find the women in clubs and bars? On the dance floor. You don't need to be the second coming of Michael Jackson, either. Hell, you can get by just swaying back and forth and some very basic moves. If you get a woman's attention on the dance floor, most of your work is done.   

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3085 on: June 12, 2017, 05:29:38 AM »
It's mentally consuming being in love with someone you can't be with.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3086 on: June 12, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »
Yep, I'm battling through that same thing myself. The worst part is it's a coworker so it's not like I can avoid it throughout the week. It's definitely affecting me on a day to day basis and I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm wondering if there's a bounce back point or do I just think "damn, I guess I need some help" as I've typically ridden these things out in the past.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3087 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
Tell me about it.  The love of my life died a year ago.  You have no idea...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3088 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
Yep, I'm battling through that same thing myself. The worst part is it's a coworker so it's not like I can avoid it throughout the week. It's definitely affecting me on a day to day basis and I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm wondering if there's a bounce back point or do I just think "damn, I guess I need some help" as I've typically ridden these things out in the past.

If you don't mind me asking, what's stopping anything from happening?

I don't. I'm exceedingly empathic but something like that is kind of unchartered ground for me. I lost a friend years ago. She died of a cocaine overdose. People see cocaine addicts as this specific type. They get generalized in movies and television as these low-life degenerates who bring down everyone around them along with themselves. My friend was nothing like that. She was one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I ever knew. It's just that she had this addiction issue. She never burdened others or did anything to have it affect others around her other than the concern people had for her. Even then, only a few people knew about it. She was private. I tried so hard to help her and you can't imagine how it affected me when I was the last person that spoke to her just hours before she died. I can't even talk about without crying. I wasn't in love with her so I'm sure it would have been a hundred times as painful if she was the love of my life.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #3089 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

Fuck. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm in the same boat. She died three days after Carrie Fisher did. We weren't together anymore, but she was the only woman I have ever been "in love" with. I'd venture to say you probably hear the "time heals all wounds" adage from just about everyone. Of course, we know they mean well, but I will never see the day I find peace in or acceptance in her being gone.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3090 on: June 12, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »

We get along really well and usually end up talking for awhile but I've come to realize that even if she was single I'm not the kind of guy she'd look to date. Nothing we've ever brought up but there's enough pieces there that set off the "not even worth the effort" trigger though unfortunately I'm completely smitten which is what I need to break out of.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3091 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »

We get along really well and usually end up talking for awhile but I've come to realize that even if she was single I'm not the kind of guy she'd look to date. Nothing we've ever brought up but there's enough pieces there that set off the "not even worth the effort" trigger though unfortunately I'm completely smitten which is what I need to break out of.

Why don't you give it a shot? Something seemingly innocent like going to lunch together could be revealing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: June 13, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »

Yeah, that's bad advise right there.  I have a flight this afternoon, and I can spend from now until liftoff telling you about people in my life that have had long and productive relationships together, and were, on paper, "not the people they'd date".  You could probably put both of my wives in that category (for very different reasons).   That's not really your call anyway.  Let her decide what and who she wants to date.   It may not end perfectly, but I can tell you this:   it DEFINITELY won't happen if it never even happens to begin with. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3093 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »

Fuck. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm in the same boat. She died three days after Carrie Fisher did. We weren't together anymore, but she was the only woman I have ever been "in love" with. I'd venture to say you probably hear the "time heals all wounds" adage from just about everyone. Of course, we know they mean well, but I will never see the day I find peace in or acceptance in her being gone.

Sorry to hear about that.  I hope you can heal somehow.  I can't imagine finding any peace either.  In my situation, it took me 45 years to find her.  2 years into our relationship she got sick and was gone 3 years later.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm grateful for those 5 years we had together.  I try to count my blessings but would give up everything to have her back.  Rhetorically speaking, how do you move on from that?  How do you carry that much baggage around trying to find a potential new relationship without scaring them away?  Trying to explain what happened in my past relationship.  It's a nightmare of existence.  She was cheated out of the rest of her life and I was cheated out of spending the rest of my life with the only woman I ever loved.  To me, she was once in a lifetime.  That doesn't come around twice.  Not giving up.  Trying to get back out there.  Not easy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3094 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
*hugs Dublagent and Nuno*

Orcus - Stadler and the Snob are right. You never know that you're actually "not her type" until you find that out for sure. I agree with Snob's lunch idea too - good gauge to see if things are going to be static or if there's more there than meets the eye.

As for me, well.. I'm still talking to the guy I mentioned a couple months ago, and in late August we will have known each other for a full year. I'm extremely happy, we're very much alike, and we make each other laugh constantly. It's not perfect but.. what is? I'm grateful that I've met and connected with him. He is a truly great person.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3095 on: September 04, 2017, 03:50:33 AM »
A quarter to six in the morning and loneliness just hit me like a ton of bricks. I was watching the Prank vs Prank people explain why they broke up and it just brought back so many feelings that I thought I had gotten rid of but instead had just suppressed. As introverted and antisocial as I am, I truly miss having someone to sleep next to at night. I guess I was stupid to think that ten months was enough time to get over an almost eight year relationship. As much as she hurt me, as much as she betrayed my trust and loyalty, as much as she did everything in her power to make me hate her, part of me still loves her. Part of me still wants her back. And to be honest, I don't think that will every fully go away.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3096 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »
Interesting turn of events tonight: I was out with my ex and her best friend. Her best friend ended up disappearing for a little bit to go bump uglies with some guy so it was just me and my ex. We ended up talking about how great our relationship used to be and how we miss each other. Also, she is now in an open relationship. She asked if I wanted to sleep with her and I declined the offer. This is the second time this question has come up since her relationship became non-exclusive and it’s the second time I’ve said no. The reason I said no is because I worked so hard over this past year to get over her and I don’t want to undo all of that. She’s like a siren: a seductress who lures men into her trap and I’m lucky to have escaped. At the same time, it’s beem over a year since I’ve been with anyone in an intimate way. I truly believe that I’m over being in love with her, but I’m afraid to risk that for one night of fun, even if I know it will be good. And the saga continues...

-MirrorMask

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #3097 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:30 AM »
I truly believe that I’m over being in love with her, but I’m afraid to risk that for one night of fun, even if I know it will be good. And the saga continues...

Dude... good for you! You totally made the right decision IMO. It's not "casual" in this case. Sex is finite, while you having to live with yourself and whatever your heart/head get out of this is not. If it took you a year to get yourself emotionally here, you certainly won't walk away thinking to yourself, "That was fun... does anyplace serve chicken and waffles at this time of night?" I'm inclined to think she's a real asshole here. Is she really that oblivious to the reality of your joint situation? She found herself an open relationship and now she wants to casually sleep with an ex without understanding what impact she has emotionally on someone that she was supposedly close to... somebody sounds a little selfish  :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: October 19, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »
I truly believe that I’m over being in love with her, but I’m afraid to risk that for one night of fun, even if I know it will be good. And the saga continues...

Dude... good for you! You totally made the right decision IMO. It's not "casual" in this case. Sex is finite, while you having to live with yourself and whatever your heart/head get out of this is not. If it took you a year to get yourself emotionally here, you certainly won't walk away thinking to yourself, "That was fun... does anyplace serve chicken and waffles at this time of night?" I'm inclined to think she's a real asshole here. Is she really that oblivious to the reality of your joint situation? She found herself an open relationship and now she wants to casually sleep with an ex without understanding what impact she has emotionally on someone that she was supposedly close to... somebody sounds a little selfish  :tdwn

I don't know any of you (you, the ex, the "other guy") but I'm seeing a ton of red flags here.   Selfish, asshole, whatever word you want to use, there is nothing "casual" about this in my opinion, and no good can come of it, I don't care how hot she is or how good in the sack she might be.   If you're willing to step into a "one night of fun" scenario, then find someone out of your circle.  I'm not suggesting this, because it's too close and also fraught with peril, but you're even better off with the friend than with her. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3099 on: October 19, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
Interesting turn of events tonight: I was out with my ex and her best friend. Her best friend ended up disappearing for a little bit to go bump uglies with some guy so it was just me and my ex. We ended up talking about how great our relationship used to be and how we miss each other. Also, she is now in an open relationship. She asked if I wanted to sleep with her and I declined the offer. This is the second time this question has come up since her relationship became non-exclusive and it’s the second time I’ve said no. The reason I said no is because I worked so hard over this past year to get over her and I don’t want to undo all of that. She’s like a siren: a seductress who lures men into her trap and I’m lucky to have escaped. At the same time, it’s beem over a year since I’ve been with anyone in an intimate way. I truly believe that I’m over being in love with her, but I’m afraid to risk that for one night of fun, even if I know it will be good. And the saga continues...

Smart move.

I honestly don't know if even I could have resisted that, which is why I can't stay friends with exes. Its extremely painful getting over them and takes a long time. Being friends just constantly reminds me of the past, when really I just want and need to move on. Out of sight out of mind makes it much easier for me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3100 on: October 20, 2017, 04:29:18 AM »

Smart move.

I honestly don't know if even I could have resisted that, which is why I can't stay friends with exes. Its extremely painful getting over them and takes a long time. Being friends just constantly reminds me of the past, when really I just want and need to move on. Out of sight out of mind makes it much easier for me.
Same here - no contact whatsoever with any of my exes. In the beginning to try and move on and not reopen wounds. But after that, it just seems kind of...unneccessary to try and reestablish any kind of friendsship.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3101 on: October 20, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
If you live in a small town it must be a nightmare trying to avoid exes. I'm lucky in that after I got dumped a few years ago my ex moved to the other side of the world

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3102 on: October 20, 2017, 07:20:07 AM »
If you live in a small town it must be a nightmare trying to avoid exes. I'm lucky in that after I got dumped a few years ago my ex moved to the other side of the world

My ex fiance works in the exact same field as I do. A very small field where everyone knows everyone. We met in graduate school and there's only so many hospitals in the area, so I absolutely dread the idea of us ending up at the same workplace at some point over my career.

I learned a long time ago not to get involved with someone at work, but dumb me wasn't thinking about that when I met her in school. It never dawned on me that we were going into the exact same field. But then again, at the time I thought the relationship would last forever. I was wrong and regret not having more realistic expectations. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:43:01 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: October 20, 2017, 07:25:22 AM »
As they say in my neck of the woods:  "Don't shit where you eat."   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3104 on: October 20, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »
As they say in my neck of the woods:  "Don't shit where you eat."

Yeah but the snack bar is next to the shitter.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3105 on: October 20, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »
Weird stuff. I actually talked to my ex-fiance on the phone for the first time in 7 years for like 3+ hours.

It was depressing most of the time since she has become SEVERELY mentally ill. We reminisced a lot too, which was nice, but then things got pretty uncomfy.

She talked about how she was so in love with me, and was even still in love with me when she started dating her current husband, before going into a whole thing about how miserable she is in her marriage and how trapped she feels.

Oy vay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3106 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
That's why it's always best to cut the cord and move on with your like.  You can only get hurt from hanging on to an ex as a friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: October 20, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
That's why it's always best to cut the cord and move on with your like.  You can only get hurt from hanging on to an ex as a friend.

I completely agree with King. I made many mistakes trying to be friends with ex's in the past.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3108 on: October 20, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
I still text on occasion with an ex from over 10 years ago (although it took years for us to get back in contact). Every once in a while, one of us will text the other (she almost always texts first) and we'll have a nice texting convo where we see how the other is doing and whatnot.   We never talk about current girl/boyfriends, which I guess could be considered odd, but it's never weird at all, us talking.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: October 23, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »

That's me.  I don't think there's any real animosity (except with one, but I deserve it) but we have different lives now, and there are just too many inevitable but unanswerable questions to have it any other way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
I pretty much always leave the door open for a friendship but almost never actually act on it.  For the most part, it's not worth it.  Some people are just cool people though and it's not so wrong to just stay friendly.  I've always told myself I'd rather not run into one of them and things be all awkward, I'd rather be able to say Hey hows things going? and be nice, than have to hide and hope they don't see me or something.  But I don't need to actively talk and hang out with an X to feel comfortable seeing them again. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3111 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
Continuing on the subject of relationships in general,

I find it so fascinating how when in my last relationship (the one where I went as far as getting engaged) how quick I was to ignore or just not being phased when all my friends and loved ones warned and advised me that this was a bad situation and it probably wouldn't work out.

In the end they were totally correct and only now in hindsight do I understand what they were trying to warn me about. Its just amazing how difficult it is to think objectively during infatuation or even farther into the relationship.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3112 on: October 24, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Dude, amen to that. Love clouds the shit out of your judgment... also, sometimes people are manipulative and find ways to keep you along for the ride even though it's a disaster. Not that I'd know anything about that  ;)

Anyway, I'm still casually dating but have been romantically burnt out for months and just kind of over it right now.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: October 25, 2017, 05:22:07 AM »
Good to see you.   Not in this thread, mind you, but still good to see you. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3114 on: October 25, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
welcome back, although it sucks to be a lonely burnt out hearts post  :sadpanda: