Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 78989 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #3080 on: June 08, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
Random thoughts about my romantic endeavors: Sitting here a little buzzed, I'm just thinking about how shitty it is to have social anxiety when you want to meet new people (mainly for romantic reasons). I have no idea how to talk to people and I drive girls away before I can show how nice, down to earth, and real I am. If women could just get past the initial awkwardness that comes with social anxiety, I could show them how good to them I would be, and then maybe I wouldn't be stuck being alone anymore. Because as much as I'm an introvert and a loner, I really miss falling asleep next to somebody.

I get it (I have a similar story to tell as Prog Snob) but I have to say, "social anxiety" can only be part of it.  Where are you looking to meet them?  HOW are you looking to meet them?   Do you have ANYTHING that is a "comfort zone" to lead with?   There's also the notion that "it only takes one".   

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3081 on: June 08, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »
Random thoughts about my romantic endeavors: Sitting here a little buzzed, I'm just thinking about how shitty it is to have social anxiety when you want to meet new people (mainly for romantic reasons). I have no idea how to talk to people and I drive girls away before I can show how nice, down to earth, and real I am. If women could just get past the initial awkwardness that comes with social anxiety, I could show them how good to them I would be, and then maybe I wouldn't be stuck being alone anymore. Because as much as I'm an introvert and a loner, I really miss falling asleep next to somebody.

I get it (I have a similar story to tell as Prog Snob) but I have to say, "social anxiety" can only be part of it.  Where are you looking to meet them?  HOW are you looking to meet them?   Do you have ANYTHING that is a "comfort zone" to lead with?   There's also the notion that "it only takes one".

The only thing that I feel comfortable talking about is music. There really is no comfort zone because I'm extremely awkward in person and meeting people online is so impersonal that it's hard to show people who I am as a person. I also have regular anxiety as well as depression which makes things even worse.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
I'm going to suggest working on your anxiety then (I say this as a person who works at an anxiety clinic). It's helpful for you, and it increases your chances of meeting people. It's not super helpful to be upset when someone isn't willing to put in a good amount of extra work for someone they don't know.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: June 09, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
Can I offer something else as well, that happened to work for me?

Try not to make every conversation about "meeting my true love and expressing every nuance of my being so she knows the real me!".  That's too much pressure.    I was traveling a lot for a while and I was in a marriage that was shitting the bed pretty quickly, so I found myself in bars often.   I made it a point to talk to ONE PERSON - male or female, didn't matter - I didn't know each time, even if it is just pointing to the TV and saying "can you believe that shit?" or asking the person "what beer is that?  It looks good" (obviously not if the person is drinking a Coors Light out of a bottle or something obvious).   

Unless you're harboring something - like lace panties under your jeans, or bodies neatly dressed and labeled in your freezer - they'll unpeel the onion in due course.   If you shoot your wad (FIGURATIVELY!  I meant that FIGURATIVELY!) in the first five minutes, what more do they have to find out about you (that is good anyway)?   

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #3084 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »

There are many people out there who think of themselves as a good person with great qualities that make them deserving of having someone in their lives, but the reality is, attraction doesn't care about "deserves". You've described yourself as "nice, down to earth, and real". That's all fine and good, but you need to be fun or perceived as such. You're going to get what you go out there and take.

I can't profess to knowing step-by-step how one breaks out of their shyness shell, but for me personally, it took getting the shit kicked out of me in other aspects of life to reach a point of just not giving a shit anymore. As tragic as that may sound, it's an empowering place to be, although I wish it could have been sooner and through a different method.

However, once you do shed shyness and being overly self-conscious, learn to dance. I know a lot of guys think they're too cool for it, but where do you generally find the women in clubs and bars? On the dance floor. You don't need to be the second coming of Michael Jackson, either. Hell, you can get by just swaying back and forth and some very basic moves. If you get a woman's attention on the dance floor, most of your work is done.   

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #3085 on: June 12, 2017, 05:29:38 AM »
It's mentally consuming being in love with someone you can't be with.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3086 on: June 12, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »
Yep, I'm battling through that same thing myself. The worst part is it's a coworker so it's not like I can avoid it throughout the week. It's definitely affecting me on a day to day basis and I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm wondering if there's a bounce back point or do I just think "damn, I guess I need some help" as I've typically ridden these things out in the past.

Offline Dublagent66

• RIP My Love 1964 - 2016
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I will see you on the other side...
« Reply #3087 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
Tell me about it.  The love of my life died a year ago.  You have no idea...
Everything that CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong ...and if nothing has gone wrong...you obviously DON'T UNDERSTAND the situation.

"Bow your heads and abandon hope."   -Symphony X - Reign in Madness

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #3088 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
Yep, I'm battling through that same thing myself. The worst part is it's a coworker so it's not like I can avoid it throughout the week. It's definitely affecting me on a day to day basis and I'm really starting to worry about myself. I'm wondering if there's a bounce back point or do I just think "damn, I guess I need some help" as I've typically ridden these things out in the past.

If you don't mind me asking, what's stopping anything from happening?

I don't. I'm exceedingly empathic but something like that is kind of unchartered ground for me. I lost a friend years ago. She died of a cocaine overdose. People see cocaine addicts as this specific type. They get generalized in movies and television as these low-life degenerates who bring down everyone around them along with themselves. My friend was nothing like that. She was one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I ever knew. It's just that she had this addiction issue. She never burdened others or did anything to have it affect others around her other than the concern people had for her. Even then, only a few people knew about it. She was private. I tried so hard to help her and you can't imagine how it affected me when I was the last person that spoke to her just hours before she died. I can't even talk about without crying. I wasn't in love with her so I'm sure it would have been a hundred times as painful if she was the love of my life.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #3089 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

Fuck. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm in the same boat. She died three days after Carrie Fisher did. We weren't together anymore, but she was the only woman I have ever been "in love" with. I'd venture to say you probably hear the "time heals all wounds" adage from just about everyone. Of course, we know they mean well, but I will never see the day I find peace in or acceptance in her being gone.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3090 on: June 12, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »

We get along really well and usually end up talking for awhile but I've come to realize that even if she was single I'm not the kind of guy she'd look to date. Nothing we've ever brought up but there's enough pieces there that set off the "not even worth the effort" trigger though unfortunately I'm completely smitten which is what I need to break out of.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #3091 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »

We get along really well and usually end up talking for awhile but I've come to realize that even if she was single I'm not the kind of guy she'd look to date. Nothing we've ever brought up but there's enough pieces there that set off the "not even worth the effort" trigger though unfortunately I'm completely smitten which is what I need to break out of.

Why don't you give it a shot? Something seemingly innocent like going to lunch together could be revealing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: June 13, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »

Yeah, that's bad advise right there.  I have a flight this afternoon, and I can spend from now until liftoff telling you about people in my life that have had long and productive relationships together, and were, on paper, "not the people they'd date".  You could probably put both of my wives in that category (for very different reasons).   That's not really your call anyway.  Let her decide what and who she wants to date.   It may not end perfectly, but I can tell you this:   it DEFINITELY won't happen if it never even happens to begin with. 

Offline Dublagent66

• RIP My Love 1964 - 2016
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I will see you on the other side...
« Reply #3093 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »

Fuck. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm in the same boat. She died three days after Carrie Fisher did. We weren't together anymore, but she was the only woman I have ever been "in love" with. I'd venture to say you probably hear the "time heals all wounds" adage from just about everyone. Of course, we know they mean well, but I will never see the day I find peace in or acceptance in her being gone.

Sorry to hear about that.  I hope you can heal somehow.  I can't imagine finding any peace either.  In my situation, it took me 45 years to find her.  2 years into our relationship she got sick and was gone 3 years later.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm grateful for those 5 years we had together.  I try to count my blessings but would give up everything to have her back.  Rhetorically speaking, how do you move on from that?  How do you carry that much baggage around trying to find a potential new relationship without scaring them away?  Trying to explain what happened in my past relationship.  It's a nightmare of existence.  She was cheated out of the rest of her life and I was cheated out of spending the rest of my life with the only woman I ever loved.  To me, she was once in a lifetime.  That doesn't come around twice.  Not giving up.  Trying to get back out there.  Not easy.
Everything that CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong ...and if nothing has gone wrong...you obviously DON'T UNDERSTAND the situation.

"Bow your heads and abandon hope."   -Symphony X - Reign in Madness

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3094 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
*hugs Dublagent and Nuno*

Orcus - Stadler and the Snob are right. You never know that you're actually "not her type" until you find that out for sure. I agree with Snob's lunch idea too - good gauge to see if things are going to be static or if there's more there than meets the eye.

As for me, well.. I'm still talking to the guy I mentioned a couple months ago, and in late August we will have known each other for a full year. I'm extremely happy, we're very much alike, and we make each other laugh constantly. It's not perfect but.. what is? I'm grateful that I've met and connected with him. He is a truly great person.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3095 on: September 04, 2017, 03:50:33 AM »
A quarter to six in the morning and loneliness just hit me like a ton of bricks. I was watching the Prank vs Prank people explain why they broke up and it just brought back so many feelings that I thought I had gotten rid of but instead had just suppressed. As introverted and antisocial as I am, I truly miss having someone to sleep next to at night. I guess I was stupid to think that ten months was enough time to get over an almost eight year relationship. As much as she hurt me, as much as she betrayed my trust and loyalty, as much as she did everything in her power to make me hate her, part of me still loves her. Part of me still wants her back. And to be honest, I don't think that will every fully go away.