Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip  (Read 279382 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:17:37 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. Currently accepting title ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
The Lonely Hearts Thread v. Irgin Forever
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »
The Lonely Hearts Thread v. The Strong Grip.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
The Lonely Hearts Thread v. The Strong Grip.

Seconded

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
The Lonely Hearts thread v. Once, twice, three times a lady
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
v. I'm not lonely, I'm just picky

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Lonely Hearts Club Thread v. The Strong Grip
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
v. my standards are too high
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
My body doesn't care where my hand has been.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
v. The Freemen

or v. The Freemasons

Either way, I'm without a ball and chain, but my heart is full of the pervs and my stress level is at a minimum... Also I'm not lonely. So...a new thread beckons... A new age. An age of... The Freemen.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
Hey folks, Mister Gold reporting in for assistance!

In the past, I have had a habit of being infatuated with very attractive gals who I thought I got along well with and had things in common with them, only to eventually realize that there wasn't much in common between us that really mattered. Some friends have told me before that I aim out of my league, which in the past has been a fair enough criticism, though I don't think I'm too bad looking myself.

I hadn't really been looking for a girlfriend lately, considering I just started college and all, though I had made a few friends of the opposite sex here since my arrival.

But a week ago, I was at the first meeting of the college students' Film Makers club and while I was there, I ran into this really attractive girl who was there too. We didn't get to talk for too long, but I was really impressed with her knowledge of various different movies and was really impressed that she was a fan of MST3K/Rifftrax (I hadn't really run into any other fans besides myself in person before). Afterwards, I cooled down my thoughts and not really think much of anything relating to her (aside from the fact that I knew we were both going to go see a school screening of The Grand Budapest Hotel later that week). Also I have her to thank for being the final push in my searching out and finally watching A Clockwork Orange for the first time (she loves that movie).

After all, I knew she was attractive, but I've learned a little bit from my past crushes. I want to be in a relationship with someone who challenges me and makes life interesting and what-not. Someone with an actual legitimate personality to them that coincides with my own and be someone who I could grow tremendously from even I only ended up just being friends with them.

So I went to see TGBH the other night (btw, it's one helluva movie) and sure enough, she arrived too! I'd hoped to sit next to her, but another girl that seemed to be casual friends with the small group of friends and acquaintances that we were with ended sitting right between the two of us. Still, we spoke a lot before and after the movie and I was only more impressed with her personality. This lady is downright hysterical!

Me: By any chance, are you a fan of reading? :)
Her: *deadpan/sarcastic* No, I'm completely illiterate.
Me: ... *slightly nervous*
Her: *breaks out laughing* No, I'm kidding! I'm actually aiming to be a Creative Writing major!

Now, the preceding dialogue might not seem to be very funny, but it was one of those you-had-to-be-there-to-see-it moments. I can't stop thinking about it and it cracks me up whenever I do. Like I said, we ended up talking a fair bit more even after the movie had ended and took a nice walk across campus (albeit with the other members of our party) to try and see if there was any food joint that was open nearby.

Which brings us to last night... we'd both planned to go to a screening of the original Night of the Living Dead that was being done by the same film group that was responsible for our meeting. I'd arrived a little early, just so that I'd know that I was at the right place. She had said before that she'd probably be a bit late, but she ended up texting me early asking where the meeting was and showed up well-before the screening started too.

As it turned out, she was fighting a rather nasty cold, but it didn't really bother me. We talked some more about films, shows and books and she continued to impress me. For example, this girl? Her favorite vampire movies are Let the Right One In and F.W. Murnau's classic Nosferatu. And she brought up MST3K/Rifftrax again too, which was awesome. We ended up sitting next to one another on the floor, watching the movie.

As luck/fate/karma/whatever you call it would have it, I woke up this morning and realized that I had caught that cold she'd had last night too. More than a little gross and unfortunate, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take that as a good sign or a bad one. It's never happened to me before, much like how much she's completely blown me away by her personality and personal interests.

So, DTF, I turn to you all and ask for your sagely advice and guidance. What should I do next?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
You've never caught a cold before?  :lol  :P ... It sounds like you're reading into the most minute of details, which is usually a sign that you may have the classic 'love-bug delusion' that has no doubt afflicted every single penis on this forum at one point or another. What's got me raising one eyebrow is that you're taking the fact that you caught a cold from her as a 'sign'... I dunno, I'm not trying to be condescending but that seems a little, well, delusional. Not in a 'lol dummy' way, we're ALL fuckin' deluded when it comes to women, even the old, saggy mofos here who know a thing or two. But...I think it would behoove you to really look at what you're seeing as a sign as simple science... There's no sign in that, no bigger meaning. Then again this is my view, and clearly I am not an advocate of the fates, or cupid, or any other phantasmal aspect of romanticism and meeting 'THE ONE'. But it sounds like you might get hurt, and my advice would be to tread lightly (/walterwhite).

Y'know, see where it goes, keep it light, and for the sake of your emotional state and concentrating on school (we all know how fun it is to try and study/work while in emotional distress), don't comb over every little detail as if it means something poignant. That last part is almost impossible if you're infatuated enough but it may save you a lot of heartache if you can control it. In my experience, if a woman wants you to know she's into you, even if she's on the shyer side, it'll be pretty darn clear. When men dissect every possible meaning to a look, a touch, a simple little thing that turns into this big internal debacle, it more often than not leads to a crummy feeling. Who knows, she may be thinking the same as you right now? She could also just as easily not be thinking about it at all. Sucks to think about, but it'll suck even more to put something on a pedestal that ends up having to be taken down.

Just my view from the story presented. Best of luck. I'm off to chase my own love...

Money.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
No, I've caught colds before. Just never from someone I liked. You're totally right though, that's definitely reading in too much.  You bring up another good point about love delusions, which is something that I'm trying to avoid. I'm just surprised by how much she keeps impressing me.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
So, DTF, I turn to you all and ask for your sagely advice and guidance. What should I do next?
Ask her out for a cup of coffee, beer or something, just the two of you and not before or after a movie thing you were going to do anyway. You pay. If things go well, ask her out to dinner or to do some other date-like thing. Unless she's clueless she'll understand what you're going for. Don't wait too long, because if she is interested in you, you don't want her to move on before you get the guts to ask her. If she's not into you, that's not super likely to change anyway.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Okcupid is going pretty horribly.
Women who initially message me never respond back when I respond to them.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
Still no updates from my love interest at work. The only one was Dr. Pepper has a flavor out for the summer called Dr. Pepper Vanilla Float and it was impossible to find around here in Minnesota. She found one in a gas station and came into work the next day and said she bought one for me. Small and insignificant, but all summer long we had talked about that flavor and how we could never find it, so it was cool that she thought of me when she found it.

We were looking at my truck the other day and I was talking about how I polished some rust out of the chrome and that I enjoy doing those things to which she responded that her dad would love me. Another small detail that doesn't mean much but was still cool to hear. Initially when she was telling me about her dad I was unsure, he's a trucker and takes off November to hunt and for some reason I wasn't sure. Apparently I'd get along with her brothers too. She talks about her family a lot with me and introduced me to her sister when she came into our store.

The only negative that has happened recently isn't really a negative but we were talking about an employee at our store who is 27 and dating a 35 year old. When she heard that, she looked at me and said "What could he possibly have in common with a 35 year old?" Which kind of made me think she wouldn't be interested in me since we are nine years apart (20 vs 29). But I didn't read too much into that.

Sorry for the long post. Just nothing has really happened, just updating on recent stuff.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 11:31:03 PM »
It's interesting being single again after having been in a lengthy relationship. Not in a bad way, just... interesting. I was worried about the cats at first, but they've settled back into their routines quite nicely. Only thing is that Jynx (the younger girl cat) seemed to really settle down upon hearing loud music today before I left for work. :lol   Other than that, I'm excited to see what the future holds.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
Aww, kitties. They'll be aiight.

I haven't posted in one of these threads in ages. Some of you know Tony and I were a legit couple for several years (about five?) and then we sorta took a "break" but continued to see each other once or twice a year (we live in different states). Well, that went on for three years without us ever talking about the elephant in the room. He came out here recently and I initiated a talk about where we were at and where we're going. I told him I don't see myself in any kind of committed relationship in the near future or maybe ever (not sure I'm wired that way) and that I don't want him to feel held back if that's what he wants. I don't know if I ever want to settle down, have a family, any of that, and I don't want to keep him from finding those things if he wants them. He doesn't really seem committed to much other than work right now and said he was okay with the way things are now, just wishes we'd see each other more. So we're gonna try to do that (meaning I may be coming back to Austin soon, Deb :D). Meanwhile I have been seeing people here but never letting anyone get too close. I sorta think I'm gonna end up as an old spinster/cat lady, which is fine by me. I'm stubborn and independent and don't want to rely on someone else, don't really want to share my space with other people, and so on. I know this could change in the future, but it seems to be more true with time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:35 PM »
OMG!!!

MOAR TEH JACKIEH VISITZ!!! :panicattack: :lol

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »
I'm still in the club.  I haven't really been actively looking for a relationship.  I still have an online dating profile but that never gets used.  I think I (finally) have gotten used to being single.  Moving back closer to family helped a bit also.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »
So, I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I just got back from a concert where I waited more than an hour to chat with the two artists. And frankly, I only did that to chat and shake hands with one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, Nataly Dawn.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
So this one gal from OKcupid added me on facebook and we haven't talked since. I should probably make a move.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
So, I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I just got back from a concert where I waited more than an hour to chat with the two artists. And frankly, I only did that to chat and shake hands with one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, Nataly Dawn.

Pomplamoose!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
Yup. That woman is even more stunning in real life than on YouTube. She's also quite tall (would put her at 5'9'' or more), which makes it even better.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Still no updates from my love interest at work. The only one was Dr. Pepper has a flavor out for the summer called Dr. Pepper Vanilla Float and it was impossible to find around here in Minnesota. She found one in a gas station and came into work the next day and said she bought one for me. Small and insignificant, but all summer long we had talked about that flavor and how we could never find it, so it was cool that she thought of me when she found it.

We were looking at my truck the other day and I was talking about how I polished some rust out of the chrome and that I enjoy doing those things to which she responded that her dad would love me. Another small detail that doesn't mean much but was still cool to hear. Initially when she was telling me about her dad I was unsure, he's a trucker and takes off November to hunt and for some reason I wasn't sure. Apparently I'd get along with her brothers too. She talks about her family a lot with me and introduced me to her sister when she came into our store.

The only negative that has happened recently isn't really a negative but we were talking about an employee at our store who is 27 and dating a 35 year old. When she heard that, she looked at me and said "What could he possibly have in common with a 35 year old?" Which kind of made me think she wouldn't be interested in me since we are nine years apart (20 vs 29). But I didn't read too much into that.

Sorry for the long post. Just nothing has really happened, just updating on recent stuff.

It's those little things that add up sometimes, though. Don't overlook them. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
Yup. That woman is even more stunning in real life than on YouTube. She's also quite tall (would put her at 5'9'' or more), which makes it even better.

She looks a bit too much like the love child of Justin Beiber and Beck for my taste.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »
It's good to hear that. Yeah, and that's basically what this whole thing has been. Little things that have added up. On this current schedule at work, I had the entire week off and she took the weekend off so last Saturday was the last time we were going to work together for awhile (Monday 29th). I said that to her and she goes "Really?" Looks at the schedule and sees that "That's a long time until I see you again" It was a small thing like that that gives me hope that the feelings are mutual. She also said that maybe she'll be moved in to the upstairs apartment by that time--which has no importance to me besides the fact that we were going to go out to dinner when she did, so I take her saying that as a reference to that.

It ended up that I had to fill in for someone on Monday, so I ended up seeing her the other day and then I had to drop something off yesterday, so I saw her twice this week. I said to her yesterday: "Now seriously, I'll see you next Monday." She smiles and says: "I don't believe you" I told her let's make a bet "Our favorite candy bar that you won't see me until Monday." She agreed.

I feel lame that a week apart made me feel sad.... It's just a week, but it felt like it would be longer  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
It's good to hear that. Yeah, and that's basically what this whole thing has been. Little things that have added up. On this current schedule at work, I had the entire week off and she took the weekend off so last Saturday was the last time we were going to work together for awhile (Monday 29th). I said that to her and she goes "Really?" Looks at the schedule and sees that "That's a long time until I see you again" It was a small thing like that that gives me hope that the feelings are mutual. She also said that maybe she'll be moved in to the upstairs apartment by that time--which has no importance to me besides the fact that we were going to go out to dinner when she did, so I take her saying that as a reference to that.

It ended up that I had to fill in for someone on Monday, so I ended up seeing her the other day and then I had to drop something off yesterday, so I saw her twice this week. I said to her yesterday: "Now seriously, I'll see you next Monday." She smiles and says: "I don't believe you" I told her let's make a bet "Our favorite candy bar that you won't see me until Monday." She agreed.

I feel lame that a week apart made me feel sad.... It's just a week, but it felt like it would be longer  :lol

I probably didn't read any of your posts in the other thread but have you been on a date with her yet?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

She looks a bit too much like the love child of Justin Beiber and Beck for my taste.

I have definitely noticed, particularly with Americans, that short hair on women kinda freaks them out. Almost as if they're afraid they might find themselves gay because the girl they date has a slightly boyish look.
I think it looks great on women.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »
I don't get it either.  Although to be fair the two women I have had the most interest in had inverted bobs, I think they are hot.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »
I probably didn't read any of your posts in the other thread but have you been on a date with her yet?
We're going to grab dinner one night soon, once she moves into the apartment above our store. She lives at home right now, which is an hour away from work. I don't know if she is considering it a date or just hanging out, and I never called it a date. The manner in which I asked her might be considered a date. She said she'd never been to this restaurant one day at work and a few days later, I said to her: "So you've never been to this place?" She said no to which I said: "Well, I was thinking that you and I should go one night after work or a day off." She said yes and since then it's been a matter of waiting.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »

I have definitely noticed, particularly with Americans, that short hair on women kinda freaks them out. Almost as if they're afraid they might find themselves gay because the girl they date has a slightly boyish look.
I think it looks great on women.

What does short hair have to do with it?
No, I just dont like women that look like Justin Beiber.  Short hair is fine and can be hella sexy.  Looking like Justin Beiber....not so much.
But it is just my opinion.  Catherine Bell is one of my Fav's and she has short hair at times.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:27:11 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
We're going to grab dinner one night soon, once she moves into the apartment above our store. She lives at home right now, which is an hour away from work. I don't know if she is considering it a date or just hanging out, and I never called it a date. The manner in which I asked her might be considered a date. She said she'd never been to this restaurant one day at work and a few days later, I said to her: "So you've never been to this place?" She said no to which I said: "Well, I was thinking that you and I should go one night after work or a day off." She said yes and since then it's been a matter of waiting.

Why wait, if you don't mind me asking?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Because of her living situation. She travels to and from work an hour away (so the commute is two hours total) and works nights, so when she's done at work it's 10 at night. Or other days it's ending at 8 and I don't work days since I'm back in school. Once she's finished moving upstairs, which is in the next few days, we'll be 10 minutes away from each other. It just wouldn't make sense to have her travel down on a day off. When she's moved upstairs it'll be easier for both of us, since we can go on a day off and enjoy ourselves.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Because of her living situation. She travels to and from work an hour away (so the commute is two hours total) and works nights, so when she's done at work it's 10 at night. Or other days it's ending at 8 and I don't work days since I'm back in school. Once she's finished moving upstairs, which is in the next few days, we'll be 10 minutes away from each other. It just wouldn't make sense to have her travel down on a day off. When she's moved upstairs it'll be easier for both of us, since we can go on a day off and enjoy ourselves.

Do you object to driving her home? What about meeting her after work and taking her for coffee or something simple?  Just an idea. I'm not sure how easy traveling is for you. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »
Do you object to driving her home? What about meeting her after work and taking her for coffee or something simple?  Just an idea. I'm not sure how easy traveling is for you.
It's crossed my mind before. I just don't want to be too pushy. We're coworkers, so I don't want to come on too strong. We've said that we're going to grab dinner and have talked about it recently so it's not like she's forgotten or at least I hope not. Once she's moved in upstairs, I think the sky is the limit to what we can do.

I like the suggestions though. It's definitely crossed my mind. I just don't want to blow it by being pushy. This is the first time that it's actually going my way, so I'm bring delicate about how I handle it. There's definitely something between us, and I don't want to snuff out that flame.

And no, I have no objections to driving her home, but I don't think she'd want me to drive out to pick her up and then come back. With our schedules, it's best with her being upstairs and me being at school. It's simpler for both parties.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen