Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon  (Read 17239 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
  i already had a really good endurance base from years of marathon running, so i definitely wasn't starting from scratch.

I think that's where I'd have a good start as well being that I've been running for a solid 10 years at least three times a week...often times more....with a couple marathons and a good dozen or so half marathons under my belt. I'm an above average swimmer but I've never swam for distance so I know that's a whole new ballgame as far as muscle training and the only time I've biked for any distance was the one sprint tri I did a few years back that was 25 miles.

I have a hunch prior to years end I may be signed up for a full Ironman. I have some convincing to do with the wife because of the training involved.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
The swim was definitely the most daunting part for me. 2.4m is a long way to go in the water,  and i don't think i could even do it in salt water without throwing up. Getting in the bike volume is the tough part of training cause you need a good block of 4-5 hours just for a long ride itself, let alone if it's part of a brick workout.

Best of luck if you decide to take it on! It was definitely worth it crossing  the finish line after a year of dedicated training.

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
Well, this is super frustrating.  Suffered some kind of knee or quad injury 2 weeks ago. I've been rehabbibg it, so I've been unable to mountain bike (which is actually depressing) or do any decent lower body work or cardio. Now I'm battling tendinitis in both elbows, so i can't do any upper body work either. This might actually drive me insane.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Now I'm battling tendinitis in both elbows

inside or outside of the elbows?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
Getting old sucks.  The body just doesn't recover from minor aches and pains.  At the moment:

Left elbow - minor pain there (outside) since February.
Both knees - they're ok, so long as I wear my knee braces when I do anything leg related.  If I don't, it feels like I'm gonna lose a ligament somewhere.
Right shoulder - not sure what's going on here, but range of motion is pretty bad, and sharp pains when I hit certain angles while lifting.
Left shoulder - I'm 99% sure I separated it 12-ish years ago, and the range of motion never returned.  When I lay on my back and hold my arms 'up' at 90', my elbow is a good 3-4 inches off the ground.
Left thumb - feels like a deep bruise in my knuckle.  Been there a good 2 weeks.

But the kicker at the moment is my right lat.  Not sure what I did, but it's been in borderline agony for the past week, and taken me out of my schedule.  Just doing light cardio at the moment until it starts to recover.

Le sigh.  And I was feeling real good, making good progress on my reps and weights.
I didn't know I could handle another 10 inches and it was rough but in the end I'm glad I did it.
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2017, 06:27:51 AM »

Inside the right, and more like my forearm on the left. I think it's an overuse injury from working on my grip strength for mountain biking. I picked up some FatGripz a couple months ago,  so my arms probably aren't used to it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »

Inside the right, and more like my forearm on the left. I think it's an overuse injury from working on my grip strength for mountain biking. I picked up some FatGripz a couple months ago,  so my arms probably aren't used to it.

I totally read "FatGripz" as "FapGripz" - which would definitely explain the "overuse".   :lol :lol
I didn't know I could handle another 10 inches and it was rough but in the end I'm glad I did it.
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »

I totally read "FatGripz" as "FapGripz" - which would definitely explain the "overuse".   :lol :lol

Yeah....don't think I'd be discussing it here if that were the case lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #428 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
Left shoulder - I'm 99% sure I separated it 12-ish years ago, and the range of motion never returned.  When I lay on my back and hold my arms 'up' at 90', my elbow is a good 3-4 inches off the ground.

My left shoulder has increasingly become an issue. And I know the problem. I'm of the firm belief I am now suffering the after effects of being bit by a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. I mean, that venom is a hemotoxin and works as pre-digestion for the snake.....and my entire left arm was affected. I'd say I lost 30% of the muscle tissue in it from the bite along with who knows what type of ligamet/structural damage.

It was never really an issue too much before because I was younger and just powered through it....but here over the past few years I can totally tell there are some issues going on. The arm tires easily, makes some pretty strange cracking/popping/grinding noises....shooting pains are on the increase and more frequent. I don't know what the medical term would be to describe what has been going on other than it's just F'd up.

I've thought about going to the Doctor and finding out what the issue is but I think I'll do the typical guy thing and ignore it for a few more years until it's unbearable.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
makes some pretty strange cracking/popping/grinding noises....shooting pains are on the increase and more frequent. I

... don't even get me started on the crunches and rolls I've got going on all around both shoulders.  It's like a bag of Orville Redenbacher in the microwave
warflwwcesfw.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #430 on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »

yeah, I've been dealing with that for a few years now.  About the only thing that has made a real difference is something called voodoo floss.  Look it up and let me know if you have any questions.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #431 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
I'm bumping this thread to state that after a few years of ums and uhhhhs and other incoherent words of doubt and hesitation, I decided to bite the bullet and finally bought DDP Yoga.  It's basically this yoga program that's designed by former professional wrestler, Diamond Dallas Page (DDP), and a fair amount of wrestlers and relative celebrities endorses this product and they stated that doing the workouts helps keep them in good shape as long as you put the effort and motivation and the reasonable amount of time (30 minutes a day for three days a week I believe they stated to do the workouts) to it.  I'm not using this program as a way to lose some excess weight (although I hear losing weight doing the workouts can be a side effect), but rather as a way to regain some flexibility in my legs and get healthier and not be a lazy dude that sits on a chair at the computer for hours like I am doing now.

Hopefully, this is the first step in a long journey to get in much better shape physically and mentally.  I'm not a huge dude, but I do feel sluggish at times, and I'm hoping that doing DDP Yoga is the first step to get into better shape and adapt a healthier diet, etc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
Sounds like a great first step  :tup   Really work at creating the habit of doing those DVDís......thatís the key. Establishing that habit. ĎWhatí type of exercise/activity you fill that 30 minutes with IMO is less important than the fact of actually doing some type of workout/activity.

Sure the workouts are still important but making a habit of doing them is the tough part. You get a few weeks in to consistently doing those DVDs and itís a guarantee your gonna feel (and look) better.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
Just got back from the gym after having destroyed my shoulders (in a good way).  Also taking a new philosophy, really focusing on form (ie, mind-body connection), working the eccentric motion as much as (or more than) the concentric, as well as not using my wrist-straps, so my forearms took a pounding too.
warflwwcesfw.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Just got back from the gym after having destroyed my shoulders (in a good way).  Also taking a new philosophy, really focusing on form (ie, mind-body connection), working the eccentric motion as much as (or more than) the concentric, as well as not using my wrist-straps, so my forearms took a pounding too.

Sounds hot

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #435 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
 This week I decided to start riding my bike to work. I switched jobs earlier this month, but still in the downtown core, and the new (almost literally new since it was built in 2013) building I'm in has a high security bike lockup area in the secured underground parking garage, a maintenance area with tools and air, and a full locker room with showers, hair dryer, after shave... you name it. I basically have no excuse not to ride in the non- winter months.

I would normally take the bus since a parking stall anywhere near my tower is easily $250+ per month. My bike actually gets me to work in half the time, despite having an express bus that goes from the end of my block directly downtown with minimum meandering along the way.  My one way commute is 21 min vs. 40 on the bus.

I'm only 4 days in, but I'm really enjoying it!