Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Bobby "The Brain"  (Read 71486 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - R.I.P. Bobby "The Brain"
« Reply #2205 on: October 20, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
Holy shit Kurt Angle is replacing Roman in the tag match this Sunday. Guess I will be watching TLC.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2206 on: October 20, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
Holy shit Kurt Angle is replacing Roman in the tag match this Sunday. Guess I will be watching TLC.

Also, AJ Styles is replacing Bray against Finn Bálor, which means we’re finally getting that match as well. Meningitis turned out to be the best thing to happen to this PPV.
“People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
    • BlobVanDam's 3D Portfolio
« Reply #2207 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Getting rid of Bray Wyatt AND Roman Reigns, and getting AJ Styles and Kurt Angle instead? Thank you, meningitis! :lol Getting rid of two of the worst and replacing them with two of the best of all time.

They must be desperate, but I ain't complaining! I'm sick of having a PPV every two weeks, but now I'm actually interested in this.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »

Also, AJ Styles is replacing Bray against Finn Bálor, which means we’re finally getting that match as well. Meningitis turned out to be the best thing to happen to this PPV.

I guess.  I'm trying to be positive, but I'm having a little trouble on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked as fuck for Styles and Balor.  But it also kind of sucks that we're getting it under these circumstances.  That match should be the main event of a Pay Per View for a major championship with a solid storyline.  Instead, we're getting it with no build-up because somebody is out sick.

And as for the handicap... once again, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see Angle back in the ring.  But the match seems utterly ridiculous now. 

To be honest, I was already pretty skeptical about it.  I couldn't see how it could possibly end without a rising star being damaged.  If the Shield won, it would kind of hurt the credibility of their five opponents, and in particular, Braun Strowman's monster push would take a big hit.  Yet if the Shield lost, it would kind of derail the momentum of their reunion.  But I was still hyped for the match, and I was keeping an open mind, because there is a lot of hype for the Shield, and I could suspend my disbelief enough to imagine that they MIGHT be able to use their teamwork to outclass the merry band of misfits. 

Now, though, we have lost the Shield element.  This is no longer a band of brothers with a wolf pack mentality taking on impossible odds.  Now it is the tag team champions and a 48 year old man who hasn't wrestled in months vs the former tag team champions, Kane (okay, fair enough, a 50 year old man who also hasn't wrestled in months), the intercontinental champion, and Braun fucking Strowman.  For perspective, they've painted Rollins & Ambrose and Sheamus & Cesaro as pretty evenly matched teams in their title feud.  The added ingredients here are Kurt Angle on one side and the Miz, Kane, and Braun Strowman on the other.  On paper, this should be a squash match.  I'll mark out for Angle's return to the ring, and I'm sure the pop will be magnificent, but it will be kind of a waste if he just gets crushed.  And if his team wins, the other team looks like kind of a joke. 

I'm kind of hoping that the match changes on the show.  My big hope is that the Miz does something really obnoxious and Strowman gets pissed off and decimates him.  Strowman walks, and we're left with Rollins, Ambrose, and Angle vs Cesaro, Sheamus, and Kane.  Then you have a couple pretty good options.  Angle can pull off the win for a huge feel good moment, or Miz can limp out to the ring to attack Angle from behind and cost him that feel good moment for nuclear heat.  Hell - you can maybe even build an Angle/Miz feud out of this, and some of the heat from the Miz/Bryan feud can sort of carry over and get a proper payoff. 

But that's just me fantasy booking. 

I'm sure it will be a fun show.  Probably a lot more fun than it would have been before.  The Angle return will be a joy to watch, and Styles vs. Balor is sure to be fucking magic.  But I'm a little worried about how this is going to affect their booking in the long term. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2209 on: October 22, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Very strange but fun PPV. Every match was serviceable except for Elias vs. Jordan. But there was one match that stood above the rest...

AJ Styles and Finn Bálor tore the house down with a legitimate Match of the Year candidate. With no build up and no prep time, these two put on a wrestling clinic. I want to see them go for an hour. If the powers at be decide to give us more, this could be the WWE’s version of Okada/Omega.
“People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:59 AM »
Yeah, very strange and scrapped together PPV, very light on matches, since all of the champions were loaded into the one match.
Balor vs Styles definitely stole the show.
The main event was very weirdly booked all around. And why does Kane still exist? But at least I got to see the in ring return of my favourite wrestler ever Kurt Angle.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #2211 on: November 08, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
The move to have AJ Styles capture the WWE Title over Jinder Mahal was a decision made directly by Vince McMahon sometime last week. There is much speculation on why this change was made, with most believing that McMahon felt that a Mahal vs. Lesnar match was not something fans were looking forward to see
McMahon felt that a Mahal vs. Lesnar match was not something fans were looking forward to see

Vince had a thought about what fans might want to see??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
Fans didn't want to see Mahal vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

Fans want to see Styles vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

I'm really looking forward to that match now. I don't expect Styles to win, I just hope they let it be a somewhat competitive match with a decent length for a change.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2213 on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
Fans didn't want to see Mahal vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

Fans want to see Styles vs Lesnar? YOU DON'T SAY! :lol

I'm really looking forward to that match now. I don't expect Styles to win, I just hope they let it be a somewhat competitive match with a decent length for a change.

This is the best possible match for Lesnar. Styles is one of the few guys who could carry a match by himself so if Brock decides to be lazy, AJ can pick up the slack and make it a good match.

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Yeah, AJ Styles can get a good match out of literally anyone, including Reigns and Shane McMahon. I just hope that they're willing to let it be all it can be.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2215 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah, AJ Styles can get a good match out of literally anyone, including Reigns and Shane McMahon. I just hope that they're willing to let it be all it can be.

I’ve always said that A.J. Styles could carry a paper bag to a four star match. Now we’ll get to see if that’s true.

-MirrorMask