Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286442 times)

Offline marztacy

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
Thanks Sacul!

I myself begun to read the WOT a few years ago but i only made it until Book 7 before i begun to lose interest. Unfortunately i didn't have your perseverance and was bored to tears midway through about book 6!

I do however love Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series so far so the Mistborn series may be the way to go!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
I have just finished reading the 2 books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, which i thoroughly enjoyed. If i enjoyed these does anyone have any opinions on whether Malazan Book of the Fallen would be a good series to get into next? Cheers
Haven't read it, but I've seen nothing but praise for it everywhere, so it indeed seems a cool choice. But it seems to be a long series, with around ten books. If you're not used to huge fantasy sagas, you can try something smaller like trilogies. Mistborn has been recommended before on this thread, so that would be an alternative choice. If not, you can check these other series (btw, don't read the Wheel of Time synopsis, it has some huge spoilers of the first 3 books).
I've been meaning to get into the Mazalan books for some time, I've got to keep my mind busy while the eternal wait for The Winds of Winter continues.

If you're gonna go the route of shorter series, I'll pimp yet again Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy! If you love ASoIaF you're gonna love The First Law!

For my part, I've been reading through GRRM's first novel Dying of the Light and I have Chronicles of the Black Company (an omnibus that has the first 3 Black Company books) and R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before (the first book in his Prince of Nothing series) waiting!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »
I have just finished reading the 2 books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, which i thoroughly enjoyed. If i enjoyed these does anyone have any opinions on whether Malazan Book of the Fallen would be a good series to get into next? Cheers

With Malazan, the first book is a huge hurdle. I got halfway through, and understood practically none of what was happening. I heard that it gets better in the second book, but I still have not gotten that far.  :biggrin: I really need to start reading this series again.

And I second the recommendation of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. It turns just about every fantasy trope I know of on its head. I had issues with the writing style at the beginning, but it gets better.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »
And I second the recommendation of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. It turns just about every fantasy trope I know of on its head. I had issues with the writing style at the beginning, but it gets better.
That sentenced I bold'd is the reason I love those books so much!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »
The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant by John Dominic Crossan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
I'd be careful with Crossan. He appears to suffer from quite a bit of wishful thinking, or so it seems to me. I always had the feeling that he approached his research not to see where it leads but to lead it to where he wanted it to go. He's a compelling author though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
I'd be careful with Crossan. He appears to suffer from quite a bit of wishful thinking, or so it seems to me. I always had the feeling that he approached his research not to see where it leads but to lead it to where he wanted it to go. He's a compelling author though.
I feel quite the opposite.  He is very detailed on the methodology he uses, and based on that methodology, I feel it is hard to argue with him.  I have never once felt that he had a prior agenda about his research, and I have read most of his work.  This is a re-read for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
Tom Doyle - Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
I feel quite the opposite.  He is very detailed on the methodology he uses, and based on that methodology, I feel it is hard to argue with him.  I have never once felt that he had a prior agenda about his research, and I have read most of his work.  This is a re-read for me.

It's been a long time since I read apologetics so I may be misremembering. My impression of Crossan is probably colored more by a Time article that he authored back in 2005 or so. I remember it reading like a fantasy piece. He certainly took a different tack than most historical scholars and as I recall really pissed off some Catholics.  :lol

History is a truly fascinating subject and religious history is doubly so.

I've become a bit bored with textual criticism, although it can be quite enlightening too.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
I stopped reading Crime and Punishment since it's so depressing, but I might continue at a later stage. I'm now reading Er ist wieder da (Look Who's Back) by Timur Vernes in German. Found it in a bookstore in Aachen and I thought it would be a funny book. Moreover, I'm trying to improve my German, and this helps. When I'm done with it I'll start with the German translation of The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
Crime and Punishment is fucking amazing and The Unbearable Lightness of Being is one of my favourite books.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
Want depressing shit? Read Robin Hood. I thought it'd be just a fun adventures book, but it slowly gets bleak till the end. Still my fav book ever though :heart .

Edit: Now reading Towers of Midnight, by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:31:48 PM by Sacul »

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:11 AM »
About 50 pages into the new Lee Child 'Jack Reacher' book ....had an hour to wait while my car was being serviced.. familiar set up, not bad.

After that I will start the new Linwood Barclay book.  :smiley:

Offline adace

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
Full Black by Brad Thor. Some parts of it were good but a lot of it was cheesy and reeked of a political wish fulfillment fantasy.

Reading another Brad Thor book, Hidden Order, and I like it much better.

Planning to tackle Stephen King's Salem's Lot after this.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
Just finished The Odyssey.

In some ways, it was a bit disappointing, in some ways, definitely not. The reputation of Odysseus' voyage gave me the sense that that was going to be the major focus of the story, when in fact it only covers four chapters. That was a bit underwhelming. When he gets to shore in Ithaca and there's still half the book to go, I was dreading the slow grind that was going to be the dilemma of the suitors. The reality, though, was that that was by far the best told and most interesting part of the story, so, as much as the reputation of the story as "the perils of Odysseus' journey home" gives a false impression of it, the length devoted to the "ending" felt justified.

Now on to Ulysses. (eek)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
Ok, just finished Towers of Midnight, by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson. It wasn't as awesome as the previous one, but it was definitely better than Crossroads. And now, time to start with the final book of the series, A Memory of Light. How is that I've reached tot he end of the saga, in just a year? It all seemed so long and distant on the first books, but all the plots are reaching their climax now, so I'm really curious to see how will all of this end.
Btw, there was a certain scene with Aviendha that almost made me cry :( .

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
Just started Strange, Beautiful Music by Joe Satriani about 60 pages in and it is a great read. I recommend it to any Satch fans or even Steve Vai fans as he is quoted quite often.  Will finish it just in time to get signed at his Melbourne concert Saturday night!  :smiley:

Waiting for my copy of Vampire Lestat to arrive from the states! 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Prince Lestat by Anne Rice

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
Now finished Strange Beautiful Music By Joe Satriani terrific read, will reread it soon. You forget just how great he is!

Just received a package from Amazon USA Prince Lestat by Anne Rice and The Vines by Christopher Rice so I will start on thos ein the next few hours.  :smiley:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Saw it on our bookshelf, wife owns it apparently. I think the film is out, if not now, soon.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »
Have just now finished A Memory of Light, the final book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Wow. The first half is a bit slow-paced, the the rest is  :eek. Seriously, the last 100 pages are just pure plot twists, tension, and epicness. I'm so glad I read them in just one seat. The ending is... glorious. Although, there was something confusing. Why does Rand lose his capacity to use the Saidin when he's reborn on Moridin's body (Is that the dark on inside his eye or just a simple saa)? And why in hell does he pick a horse, just to travel around the world, leaving Min, Aviendha and Elayne alone? I thought that, at least, he'd spend some time or live with them. And the most curious thing was that he made some fire using his mind, like if he was on the Tel'aran'rhiod. I'm not sure how to feel about that ending, but the rest is bloody good, for sure.
Now, I feel empty. I've spent all year long reading the series, and now that it has ended, I feel like an Aes Sedai whose Gaidin has dead. Well, I might start Sanderson's Mistborn later, I guess.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Have just now finished A Memory of Light, the final book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Wow. The first half is a bit slow-paced, the the rest is  :eek. Seriously, the last 100 pages are just pure plot twists, tension, and epicness. I'm so glad I read them in just one seat. The ending is... glorious. Although, there was something confusing. Why does Rand lose his capacity to use the Saidin when he's reborn on Moridin's body (Is that the dark on inside his eye or just a simple saa)? And why in hell does he pick a horse, just to travel around the world, leaving Min, Aviendha and Elayne alone? I thought that, at least, he'd spend some time or live with them. And the most curious thing was that he made some fire using his mind, like if he was on the Tel'aran'rhiod. I'm not sure how to feel about that ending, but the rest is bloody good, for sure.
Now, I feel empty. I've spent all year long reading the series, and now that it has ended, I feel like an Aes Sedai whose Gaidin has dead. Well, I might start Sanderson's Mistborn later, I guess.

In order: I felt that the battle scenes dragged on for too long. I liked the other scenes quite a bit. Once I reached that certain 200 page chapter, everything improved, and led to an amazing ending. As for your questions, there are no concrete answers to the first and last. My theory regarding the first is that Rand used so much saiden at the end that he burnt out. For the last, the Aiel refer to death as "waking from the dream". Something about Randland being another 'fold' of TAR. His confrontation with Shai'tan may have had a relevatory effect, thought these two remain nothing more than mere speculation. As for the second, that's easy. He had been the most important man in the world for quite some time; now that his duty has been fulfilled, it is easy to see why he would want to become insignificant. Because of the Warder bond, his harem knows that he is still alive and of his location; they will pursue him on their own time.

As for Mistborn, I will hold my toungue on this one.  :P It is best to go into this one as blindly as possible, though I will say that I love the magic system. If I could have any fantasy power, I would be a Mistborn.

My quest to find a copy of Shinsekai Yori has been in vain, though I found another book written by the same author. This one, Crimson Labyrinth, has been officially translated into English. I will start it once I can get my hands on a copy.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
Damn Sacul, you're fast, I've just finished Towers of Midnight and I was reading like whenever I had a spare minute to read. Guess that's what happens when English isn't your first language. Anyway, TGS was loads better than this one, and if AMOL doesn't have loads of epic stuff in it I think TGS will remain my favourite book in the series. I'm still overwhelmed by its awesomeness.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »
Damn Sacul, you're fast, I've just finished Towers of Midnight and I was reading like whenever I had a spare minute to read. Guess that's what happens when English isn't your first language. Anyway, TGS was loads better than this one, and if AMOL doesn't have loads of epic stuff in it I think TGS will remain my favourite book in the series. I'm still overwhelmed by its awesomeness.

I finished TGS and TOM in two days each. Though I was on vacation at the time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:30:47 PM by Randaran »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

I finished TGS and TOM in two days each. Though I was on vacation at the time.

Are you reading in your native language? Because I can read books in Russian just fine and quickly, but reading in English takes hella lot of time for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
Yes, I am, though these books are so long that I have to read for almost the entire day to finish them in under 48 hours.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
Damn Sacul, you're fast.
That's what she... I'd read TOM and AMOL like crazy these last two weeks. All my spare time went just to finish reading the series. And don't worry about epicness  ;).

I've read a few explanations and fan theories and I think you're right on most of the answers. However, there was something I stumbled upon. Who in hell is Nakomi? I know there are many theories on this, and no agreement at all. And some of them are really crazy. I really hope to find information about her on the Companion when it's released.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:28:03 AM by Sacul »

Offline adace

« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
So I finished reading Ready Player One and it's just awesome, definitely one of my favorite books. Great ideas, great story, and heavy appeal to video game nerds like myself.

Currently reading An Officer and a Spy. I was kinda annoyed at first by the author's decision to write in the present tense, but once you get past that it flows really well and there's some very witty dialogue. Haven't read many spy thrillers, but so far I'm loving this.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
So I finished reading Ready Player One and it's just awesome, definitely one of my favorite books. Great ideas, great story, and heavy appeal to video game nerds like myself.
I started it some months ago, but couldn't finish it. The writing seemed too amateur-ish, although it had some cool plot ideas.

Started The Final Empire, first book of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. This magic system is weird, but has lots of interesting things.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
Life of Pi, by Yann Martel.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline adace

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »
Finished An Officer and a Spy. Hands-down one of the best historical novels I've read. Intense, compelling, and extremely hard to put down.

Also finished The Woman in Black. Short but sweet. Susan Hill has a real talent for creating a creepy atmosphere and using elegant, Victorian-style prose. I plan on watching the film version soon.

Next up on my to-read list:
Fatherland by Robert Harris

Offline masterthes

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
Next up on my to-read list:
Fatherland by Robert Harris
I read that years ago. As I recall, it was fairly entertaining, although I don't remember any of the specifics.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:46 PM »
The Great Zoo of China by Australian author Matthew Reilly ....about to start the book today...spoiler it has dragons in it.

He did a Q&A here in Frankston last night so was able to meet him and he signed my copy of the new book as well as Contest, Temple, Seven Ancient Wonders and Hell Island...he was signing books for over two hours, very polite, friendly.  :smiley:

He mentioned his fave authors are Michael Crichton, Thomas Harris, Robert Harris and he recently started reading Non Fiction
author Michael Lewis.

Absolutely loved Prince Lestat by Anne Rice and The Vines by Christopher Rice great reads for fan of the genre.  :smiley: