Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 289112 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett

Stephen King - The Wind Through The Keyhole

I got that book a while ago, and haven't figured out if I should it straight out (having finished the series a few years back), or wait until I reread the series; and then, do I read it between books 3 and 4?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2015, 11:49:13 AM »
Could anyone recommend a good Star Wars book? Is there even such a thing? I did hear about some of those, but i'm not sure are they worth the money

I highly recommend the General Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn, starting with Heir to the Empire

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett

Stephen King - The Wind Through The Keyhole

I got that book a while ago, and haven't figured out if I should it straight out (having finished the series a few years back), or wait until I reread the series; and then, do I read it between books 3 and 4?
I just got it, and I'm reading it now.  King said in the Foreward that it can be read independently, so I am taking his word for it - no problems yet.

He said it can also be seen as Volume 4.5 of TDT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Oops, I thought it was between 3 and 4. You are correct.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
Yeah, it's supposed to take place before Wolves

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
I just finished Mr. Mercedes. I loved it!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline adace

« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
The Last Patriot and Act of War by Brad Thor.

Thor has a tendency to include political rants in his books which really bugs me, but otherwise he's a fantastic thriller writer.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »
Could anyone recommend a good Star Wars book? Is there even such a thing? I did hear about some of those, but i'm not sure are they worth the money
William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

It's written in iambic pentameter, which makes it a bit hard to read at times.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
:huh:
It's just that he's reading the same book, and we were discussing about it some replies ago :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
Oh, very well then  ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Alright, I've really underestimated my speed-English-reading, huh. Sat two days long into the night with the book and I've actually got it finished right now. Wow.

My thoughts and reactions with spoilers ahead (well, this is mostly for Sacul, and also for whoever have read it):

I liked it a lot. It was, if not incredibly fascinating and groundbreaking, at least it was satisfying.

I was apprehensive after the prologue, I didn't really like the skaa introduction through Kelsier in the skaa hut with Tepper and Mennis. After I've got to Vin part, though (I think it was chapter 1), it got all better. She was my favourite character through all the book, the one I cared about the most. I liked how Brandon sets the contrast between her previous life, actually showing us the slice of it, and her actual life throughout the novel with Kelsier crew, her doubts and all the distrust, and also all the wonders she gets to see in the noblelike world. The moment when she snapped at Kelsier and the whole crew after killing Shan Elariel was probably my favourite part of the book. Her speech was really well-written. I loved all this internal struggle between "everyone's going to leave and betray you" and "you've got to trust someone, got to have some friends" attitudes; I thought it was very poignant. Those "you came back; no one has ever come back before" lines when Elend comes to her rescue, well, it might be a bit of a cliche, but I really enjoyed it. As I said, satisfying.

About Kelsier, I was never attached to the man, so while his death surprised me a bit, I didn't feel a lot for him. Yeah, he was cool and occasionally funny, but that's kind of it. Vin's reaction, though ("he just abandoned me, like everyone did") was, again, much more heartbreaking. Though his plan was clever, got to give props for the man.

About Elend, I was genuinely worried about Vin during her meetings with him, I was convinced he's just playing this political game with her, and when I finally got his POV, I was relieved he's just a nice guy, and he turned out to be actually a decent person. (Though telling Vin about the atium was really reckless.)

While I didn't guess a lot of upcoming things, like Lord Ruler's Feruchemist abilities, or him actually being Rashek (though it makes so much sense in retrospect, huh), I totally called Marsh becoming the Inquisitor when they've found out the body on the second meeting. He seemed just perfect for the role. Also, I totally called the fact the things will be screwed as soon as Yeden gets in charge of the army.

I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but the Lord Ruler revelation paid off, I guess. I wasn't fascinated at all with this Feruchemy / Sazed business, though I appreciated the logbook text, but the ending was clever. Especially those red herrings with that Eleventh Metal, with Vin trying to stab the projection it created, then Marsh trying to find a spike on Lord Ruler's back, while the solution was actually there on the surface, and that Eleventh Metal even helped to find it. That was really clever move by Brandon.

Overall, I liked the book quite a lot, and I especially liked the setup and the pace, where the crew gathers up, sets the objectives and tries to accomplish them. Judging by the comments, I don't expect the next book to be like it, but I hope it will be even better. We'll see, I guess.

Anyway, I'm starting The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Vin is probably my favorite character ever. I like The Final Empire the best of trilogy (actually it's probably my favorite book), but the next two are incredible as well, hopefully you enjoy 'em. :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
TFE is also my favorite book of the trilogy, though the last third of the final volume is my favorite section.

(Spoilers for books 2 and 3, for those who have already read them)
I love how the ending of the trilogy, and even the nature of the conflict with Ruin, was foreshadowed from literally the very first epigraph. The epigraphs in general were well done, offering clues to major revelations and providing worldbuilding information while still being cryptic enough to mislead.

On another note, I officially started Stephen King's 11/22/63 today. I had bought it a few months back after a discussion in this thread about SK, but did not have an opportunity to start it until now.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Glad you liked it. Although I'm highly fond of the second book, it's different, because it continues just one year after TFE, telling about what happened after it. And despite the first half being a bit slow, the rest is pure cleverness - the twists and the worldbuilding details are astonishing. Enjoy it ;D .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »
I've been reading Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb. It continues the Farseer trilogy but many years later - and I'm liking it. And finally started 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Interesting and complex book - with some weird shit in there, but as a fantasy reader, it's not that unusual for me :biggrin: .

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Started A Dance With Dragons a couple days ago and am breezing through it so far.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Glad you liked it. Although I'm highly fond of the second book, it's different, because it continues just one year after TFE, telling about what happened after it. And despite the first half being a bit slow, the rest is pure cleverness - the twists and the worldbuilding details are astonishing. Enjoy it ;D .

The first half is damn slow. I've reached the point where Sazed returns back to Luthadel and so far it's been really boring (though I kind of liked the last chapter I've read, where Vin is having an honest conversation with OreSeur). I really hope it picks up the pace real soon now.

Brandon did improve with his choice of words though, not as much raised eyebrows and rolled eyes as it was in TFE.

Started A Dance With Dragons a couple days ago and am breezing through it so far.

I found the beginning of ADWD refreshing, because we haven't seen most of those characters for the whole book. I can't say the same of A Feast for Crows, where I was really struggling to get through the beginning of the book on my first read.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »

The first half is damn slow. I've reached the point where Sazed returns back to Luthadel and so far it's been really boring (though I kind of liked the last chapter I've read, where Vin is having an honest conversation with OreSeur). I really hope it picks up the pace real soon now.

Brandon did improve with his choice of words though, not as much raised eyebrows and rolled eyes as it was in TFE.

The first time through, I found TWOA boring for around half of the book. When I read the trilogy for a second time, I realized just how much happened in that first half. Nearly every scene is important in some way, and there were many moments that I had completely forgotten about. But on a first read, with the tension and slow pace, it can be underwhelming.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
Finished The Darkness that Comes Before and I'm not really sure how to feel about it.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Horns - Joe Hill. So far it's awesome!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »

The first time through, I found TWOA boring for around half of the book. When I read the trilogy for a second time, I realized just how much happened in that first half. Nearly every scene is important in some way, and there were many moments that I had completely forgotten about. But on a first read, with the tension and slow pace, it can be underwhelming.
Yeah, it gets on a crescendo from there imo, until the last chapters.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
Steven Brust - Hawk
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #337 on: February 07, 2015, 04:57:34 AM »
Re-reading A Feast For Crows (to be followed by A Dance With Dragons), getting ready for the next season of Game of Thrones.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #338 on: February 07, 2015, 05:57:44 AM »
The Sovereign Order of Monte Cristo by Holy Ghost Writer

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: February 07, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
Hawk was so good I'm considering re-reading the entire Vlad Taltos series!

Online ozzy554

« Reply #340 on: February 07, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
I'm In the middle of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, really liking it so far.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »
I'm In the middle of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, really liking it so far.
First time?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
Mort(e), by Robert Repino.

Awesome book so far. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline adace

« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor. Love it, dude just keeps delivering.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
Finished The Well of Ascension today, I have a mixed feelings about the book, I'll probably write my thoughts tomorrow, because I have to deal with my roulette today. I've definitely liked it less than TFE, that's for sure.

Started The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson right after that. Let's see how it goes.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
Kind of expected that. Don't worry about the next book, it builds upon the previous two and showcases how deep is the worldbuilding - you'll get it when you finish it.

Still haven't finished Fool's Errand - I'm reading it slowly. Although I thougth reusing the same setting and characters way in the future was kind of unnecessarily continuing what was already wrapped up. But Hobb's a smart writer, and so far this is better than what I expected.

Started Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards!. And it's hilarious. It has its dumb, pointless parts, but its way funnier than most modern sitcoms and "comedy" series - at least what I've seen. And no, it has nothing to do, but I've never read a book like this so don't know how to compare it. Great so far.

And I'm near the middle of 1Q84's first book. And it's getting complex. And weird. But I like it. It's interesting how the two main characters seem completely different at first yet have lot in common. And if this is just the first book, I can't imagine how the other two will be like.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:14:27 PM by Sacul »

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
I have about 100 pages left in A Dance With Dragons after a week of feverish reading. Interesting book, quite good and it has the majority of my favorite characters, but overall, not too much has happened. Hopefully the last 100 pages have some excitement in them.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2015, 02:54:07 AM »
Started Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards!. And it's hilarious. It has its dumb, pointless parts, but its way funnier than most modern sitcoms and "comedy" series - at least what I've seen. And no, it has nothing to do, but I've never read a book like this so don't know how to compare it. Great so far.
If you like it that much then I highly recommend getting into the Discworld series as a whole. Guards Guards isn't one of the best, in my opinion. It's definitely got the humourous side down well, but some of the other books also have big concepts and great storytelling alongside the satire.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
I have about 100 pages left in A Dance With Dragons after a week of feverish reading. Interesting book, quite good and it has the majority of my favorite characters, but overall, not too much has happened. Hopefully the last 100 pages have some excitement in them.

Damn you GRRM.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »

Damn you GRRM.

I was waiting for this. :rollin

However, as I've been reading and participating in some discussions at ASOIAF Westeros forum for a year, there are a few fan theories and a few observations about this that may or may not be true. I guess we'll find out all about that when (if) TWOW ever gets released.