Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286481 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
So... I read Gone Girl a while ago and holy shit. That is some of the best thriller material that I have ever read. A++. Deeply unsettling (in a good way).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
Three Body by Cixin Liu. Really weird story that's hard to follow at some points if you don't have at least a bit of a technical background, but I liked it a lot. Looking forward to the sequel.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »
Finally finished Tower Lord. It was good, but it took too long for me to finish. I remember it didn't take me that long to read the first book. Anyway, either today or tomorrow I'm going to start reading The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle. Another forum I'm in and is doing the book for their monthly book club, so I figured it would be as good an excuse as any to finally read this

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »
I am pleased.

The first book is good, but everything after is much better.  So if at any point you question it, just remember you need to read that to get to the next one.

I hear you. I have it sitting on my record player but haven't gotten to it yet. Right now I'm reading Fragile Things  :D

The other night I read Eight Days of Luke cover to cover, which is a YA book that "bears an odd relationship" (Gaiman's words) to American Gods. It was very enjoyable!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2015, 12:17:24 PM »
Finally finished Chronicles of the Black Company, an omnibus containing the first three books of Glen Cook's The Black Company series.

They definitely get better after the first one. The Croaker-centric POV, in The Black Company, and his choppy style of "writing" make that first book feel a bit disjointed and like one misses stuff that happens because Croaker just glosses over things. Adding different POVs as in Shadows Linger and The White Rose definitely made things better. Also the prose got better with each subsequent book. I look forward to checking out The Books of the South.

Cool, was thinking about reading either that one or Earthsea after finishing with the Farseer trilogy, which I have actually done. The third book is quite interesting, and depressing as always, but I think the previous one was a bit better. That certain scene where is heart is totally broken by what he sees was shocking. Good series.

I've gotten the new English edition of Fool's Errand, which kind of continues the story but several years later. Its difficult to read it on the original language, but not impossible. Interesting so far.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »
So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came To Be and Why It Endures by Maureen Corrigan

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:05 AM »
I just bought the biography "Mick Jagger" by Philip Norman.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came To Be and Why It Endures by Maureen Corrigan

I just read an article about that book yesterday. Sounded very interesting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »
I'm really enjoying it so far.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »

So you read an article about a book that it's about a book.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »

So you read an article about a book that it's about a book.

And you just read a post about an article about a book about a book
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »
How very Inception-y

Offline masterthes

« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Haven't read any Dickens in a while, so I'm going to give The Old Curiosity Shop a try

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
Finished The Humans by Matt Haig yesterday. Really enjoyed it. It's written from the point of view of an alien who came to Earth disguised as a human as if he's writing back to beings of his own kind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #294 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
Dickens didn't work out, so going back to contemporary literature with The Martian

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »
Finished Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Really fascinating premise, one that he expands upon brilliantly. I wish he added more details about the creatures, but it's a great story nevertheless. He really has a knack for the depicting the psychological side of horror.

Personally, I'm really glad the creatures are so vague.  It's pure fear of the unknown. 

I love that book. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
I tapped into some reduced/inexpensive sales and bought 3 book in English (that's to be expected in England, duh). Robin Hobbs' Fool's Errand, which I'm enjoying so far; A Memory of Light from the Wheel of Time series (although I finished it, I always read it as ebook), and this hardback copy is gorgeous - £10 for it is fair, isn't it? And because it was a total bargain at £2, and I knew the series got better after the first two books, Jim Butcher's White Night. And almost bought Game of Thrones along with The Colour of Magic, but they would have been too much extra weight for my luggage :lol .

Ok, sorry for all this random rambling, but books are cheaper here in Tealand than in my country, so I'm excited.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: January 20, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
Just finished Mr. Mercedes. I am a big Stephen King fan, and a big crime drama/thriller/police procedural novels. On both those counts, this was a higly enjoyable novel.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
Reading through The World of Ice and Fire. The history itself is neat, the majority of it I already know from reading ASOIAF, but the way it is written, from the point of view of a maester who is only as trustworthy as the accounts of histories he has found in books is interesting, but it still leaves a lot of speculation instead of hard facts, which I guess is how actual history is known to us today, but still a little bit of a let down. The artwork is gorgeous, however, easily making this book worth the money I spent.

Also on to Dust by Hugh Howey, the third and final book in the Silo Series..

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »
Just finished Mr. Mercedes. I am a big Stephen King fan, and a big crime drama/thriller/police procedural novels. On both those counts, this was a higly enjoyable novel.

I am reading Mr. Mercedes now.  I love that the library had the book in large print.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
Reading through The World of Ice and Fire. The history itself is neat, the majority of it I already know from reading ASOIAF, but the way it is written, from the point of view of a maester who is only as trustworthy as the accounts of histories he has found in books is interesting, but it still leaves a lot of speculation instead of hard facts, which I guess is how actual history is known to us today, but still a little bit of a let down. The artwork is gorgeous, however, easily making this book worth the money I spent.
Yeah, but it was still cool to read some other stories I didn't really know a lot of about (like those Tullys named after Muppet characters... wtf Gurm!).

I would love to read a complete, super detailed account of Aegon's Conquest and Robert's Rebellion some day, maybe in 2055.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2015, 06:00:27 AM »
Finally started reading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I've decided to read the original, non-translated English version, so that should keep me occupied for the whole next month alright.

("Lord Ruler"? Seriously, Brandon?)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
I finished Ulysses a few days ago.

This book has been one I've desperately wanted to read for years and years now, but I was always a bit too daunted to embark. Including pre-reading The Odyssey and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it's been about a six month project. Definitely one of the best books I've read.

I wrote about reading it, but I'm a long-winded bastard, so it's pretty long. If anyone's interested, I can share it.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk

A very interesting book, told from many different perspectives.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:21 AM »
Finally started reading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I've decided to read the original, non-translated English version, so that should keep me occupied for the whole next month alright.

I liked the series, specially the second book - although it's pretty different from the first one. But the worldbuilding developed from there to the third one is freaking smart. Enjoy it.

(And yeah, that wasn't that creative. But I like to think it was on purpose :lol.)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »

I liked the series, specially the second book - although it's pretty different from the first one. But the worldbuilding developed from there to the third one is freaking smart. Enjoy it.

(And yeah, that wasn't that creative. But I like to think it was on purpose :lol.)

I've probably underestimated my English reading skills and the addictiveness of this book, I'm already through 1/3 of it. :rollin

Something that really irks me in Brandon's writing, well so far at least, is that he uses some phrases almost all the time. In Wheel of Time it was that every character "froze" when something happened, and also the way he used the word "glance", this time those, uhm, issues are a bit toned down, but there is another thing driving me nuts.

I swear most of the characters' faces are nearly always in two states. It's either "<name> raised an eyebrow" (this one is usually Kelsier, apparently he got some very mobile eyebrows he raises one of them all the damn time) or "<name> rolled his/her eyes". This irritates me so damn much. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
Yeah, but I think he slowly became better, and it's kind of more fixed on the following books. But I can't tell, since I read the Spanish translation. Which wasn't so good tbh.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:49 PM »
Read a few books over the holidays.... now to remember them...

13 1/2 by Nevada Barr ..This had been on my shelf for some time, finally read it and really enjoyed it.. suspence/thriller genre.

Gray Mountain by John Grisham .. Grisham has never been too good with character development relying more on the story to keep you reading, in this one he tries a little harder..pretty good book.

American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett .. The tag line is Some places are too good to be true ..and one review said " Readers will be captivated from start to finish"   At 662 pages it is one of the longest I have read for a while, it takes a while to figure out what was going on, I was thinking ghosts?! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, it is a pretty good book.. very different.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:01 AM »
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »
Yeah, but I think he slowly became better, and it's kind of more fixed on the following books. But I can't tell, since I read the Spanish translation. Which wasn't so good tbh.

Russian translation seems alright from what I've seen, but it's always better to read the original, and since Brandon isn't using a lot of fancy words, it's actually quite an easy reading.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

*raises an eyebrow*

Offline masterthes

« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
 :huh:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:05 AM »
Stephen King - The Wind Through The Keyhole
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
Could anyone recommend a good Star Wars book? Is there even such a thing? I did hear about some of those, but i'm not sure are they worth the money