Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 288866 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2100 on: September 20, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
Ender's Game was quite good, yeah.

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: September 21, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
Haven't read the book but recall hearing the screenwriters talking about how they tried to take the essential plot points from the novel as they were written and cut down on the rest that wouldn't have translated well in order to make a reasonably digestible ~2 hour movie.

I still remember my experience watching that when it came out. I can not recall many other times I have been so engrossed in a film from start to finish. I felt like when the credits started rolling, I hadn't moved for the past 2 hours because I was so transfixed on the screen. It was like it took me a minute to realize I was in a movie theater.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2102 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart

Isn't going well, actually it seems pretty dull so far. I'm going to keep reading as I'm now over half of the book.

I would switch to Lethal White by Robert Galbraith but literally none of the shops or libraries in my city have it. :facepalm: This is stupid.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2103 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
I had a hard time with Ender's Game. Don't know why.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John LeCarre

That makes me sad. I loved Ender's Game. It was a book that I couldn't put down.

Just started The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

I love this Le Guin's book, probably my favorite from her.

I wasn't quite sure what the book was, but I did end up enjoying it. Are her others similar?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »
Rereading Guy Pratt's autobiography My Bass and Other Animals,

Not many people have taken a career in the music industry working with the likes of Floyd, Madonna, Bryan Ferry, Michael Jackson and Robert Palmer and parlay it in to a stand-up comedy act, and then turn that in to an autobiography. He is a truly hilarious storyteller. Highly recommended.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2105 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:42 PM »
I would say that book is where my fondness for the saga of Harry Potter really takes off. Everything up till them, with the exception of some parts of Prisoner of Azkaban, I found rather tepid, though still reasonably enjoyable. With Order of the Phoenix, Rowling really takes the narrative to the next level and doesn't let off the throttle till the end.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2107 on: September 25, 2018, 02:59:40 AM »
I like all of them but I see what you mean, with Order of the Phoenix or really with the end of the Goblet of Fire we finally get the archvillain in person. Although Voldemort was part of the first books as well his story was kind of in the background.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2108 on: September 25, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
The Journeyer by Gary Jennings

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2109 on: September 26, 2018, 03:20:04 AM »
Also, The Con Artist by Fred Van Lente

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2110 on: September 26, 2018, 03:49:20 AM »
Woody Allen - Getting Even

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: September 26, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
I wasn't quite sure what the book was, but I did end up enjoying it. Are her others similar?

I mean, not quite similar. The Hainish Cycle (The Dispossessed is a part of it) is similar in the idea of the universe setting, each book taking place on different planets with different eco-systems, environments and cultures, but each book is different in its plot and pacing. While everything in that cycle is science fiction, one book may read like an action movie while another could be slow-paced and will make you ponder the questions of morality and human friendship and whatnot. For this cycle, you can read any book from it without the need to read anything before it. I highly recommend The Left Hand of Darkness which is my second favourite book after The Dispossessed. It's not at all similar, but Le Guin's signature writing is there. Do not expect a lot of action, though. I also recommend reading it in winter—this is one of my go-to winter books.

Earthsea series are pretty different as it's fantasy and not sci-fi. These are all in the same world. I would say they're an easier read than The Dispossessed, I mean there's magic! :biggrin: I love the first three books here (The Tombs of Atuan is my favourite out of these), and the follow-ups are also decent.

Out of the standalone books I've only read The Lathe of Heaven (alright) and The Eye of the Heron (I liked it, but it's also very political).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: September 26, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
Earthsea series are pretty different as it's fantasy and not sci-fi. These are all in the same world. I would say they're an easier read than The Dispossessed, I mean there's magic! :biggrin: I love the first three books here (The Tombs of Atuan is my favourite out of these), and the follow-ups are also decent.

I've read the Earthsea trilogy probably 20 times since the mid-seventies. All are essential to any fantasy fans collection but like Evermind, I think The Tombs of Atuan is the real stand out. I can't recommend them higher. The other three, later, books in the Earthsea world aren't quite as accessible but are quite high quality as well. I don't revisit them as much as the originals.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2113 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
Just finished Origin by Dan Brown. Pretty good. Saw the final twist coming a mile away though, which is always disappointing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2114 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
The Con Artist was a fun, short (for me) read

Now, getting my gothic on with The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2115 on: September 26, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »

I mean, not quite similar. The Hainish Cycle (The Dispossessed is a part of it) is similar in the idea of the universe setting, each book taking place on different planets with different eco-systems, environments and cultures, but each book is different in its plot and pacing. While everything in that cycle is science fiction, one book may read like an action movie while another could be slow-paced and will make you ponder the questions of morality and human friendship and whatnot. For this cycle, you can read any book from it without the need to read anything before it. I highly recommend The Left Hand of Darkness which is my second favourite book after The Dispossessed. It's not at all similar, but Le Guin's signature writing is there. Do not expect a lot of action, though. I also recommend reading it in winter—this is one of my go-to winter books.

Out of the standalone books I've only read The Lathe of Heaven (alright) and The Eye of the Heron (I liked it, but it's also very political).

Winter book? Whats winter? lol I live in Arizona! Thanks for the details. I'll add them to my Goodreads list. I'm currently sitting at 100 books I have to read so I better not download anymore for a while...

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2116 on: September 27, 2018, 06:12:57 AM »
Woody Allen - Without Feathers

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2117 on: September 27, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
Anyone that likes soccer/futball. I am reading A book Red Card by Ken Bensinger. It is about how the united states department of justice took down Fifa. Truly fascinating and completely crazy

There is actually a movie United Passions with Tim Roth that details certain aspects of the Fifa corruption. They only delve slightly into it. THis book goes into exact details. Truly fascinatiing
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:30:26 PM by The Trooper »

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2118 on: September 28, 2018, 09:08:38 AM »
I finished Necroscope and really enjoyed it. Guess I'll have to add this to my list of book series that I should finish instead of getting into new ones.

Criminal Vol.3 The Dead and The Dying by Ed Brubaker. If you like both gritty, hard boiled crime stories and Graphic Novels I recommend this series.

Twin Peaks the Final Dossier by Mark Frost. This answered a decent amount of questions left by the original series, but frustratingly little about the new one lol.

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. Another solid entry for discworld

JTHM directors cut by Jhonen Vásquez. I enjoy dark humor but the stories in here were hit and miss for me.

American Vampire Vol.7 by Scott Snyder

Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison

Batman: Bloom by Scott Snyder

Im currently reading World War Z by Max Brooks.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2119 on: September 30, 2018, 06:17:29 AM »
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2120 on: October 06, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2121 on: October 06, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
:heart

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2122 on: October 08, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
It was really enjoyable. Highly recommended. Victober continues with The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2123 on: October 08, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
Currently re-reading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien for the fourth or fifth time.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2124 on: October 08, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »
Witches Abroad by Pratchett

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2125 on: October 09, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
I finished World War Z by Max Brooks. I enjoyed it, though since it's formatted like non-fiction interviews sometimes it can come off as a bit dry.

The Two Bear Mambo by Joe Lansdale.

Now im currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: October 11, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2127 on: October 13, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
Time for my weekly Sherlock. Going through Memoirs this time around

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Just finished The Spy Who came in From the Cold. I really wanted to like this. It's generally considered one of the greatest spy novels of all time. But I really didn't.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2129 on: October 15, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
Black Klansman by Ron Stallworth. Enjoyed the movie. Interested to see if the book will fill in any blanks. Also, will take me no time at all

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2130 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
Just to do a bit of bragging, I'm already at 90 books for the year.

Anyway, on to Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan. I'm a sucker for a good war story, and some of my friends have said this is excellent

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2131 on: October 21, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
Sherlocktober continues with The Hound of the Baskervilles

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2132 on: October 21, 2018, 07:44:56 PM »
Sherlocktober continues with The Hound of the Baskervilles
For some reason I couldn't finish this one despite sounding more interesting than previous books.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2133 on: October 22, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: October 22, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker

That was my first "adult" book. I remember being at the bookstore, wandering around with the parents, and seeing that book with the awesome cover and interesting title. Heck I even though the author's name was cool. The story blew my mind. I am not sure I fully understood everything that was going on but damn was I engrossed. I read it again maybe 15 years later and was severely underwhelmed.