Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 288445 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #1925 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
In My Own Way by Alan Watts

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1926 on: May 04, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »
Gonna take a break from French Potter. Now that i bike commute to work, and due to the much quicker pace at my new job, i don't have nearly as much time to read.  I'm not struggling with the vocabulary or grammar in French, but holy crap has this been a slow-go. I'll probably just read a couple chapters in between my other reads moving forward.

Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1927 on: May 07, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Reading a new release, Tomorrow by Damian Dibben, about an immortal dog in search of his master

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1928 on: May 07, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
Highly recommended for dog lovers

Anyway, getting my 80's fantasy on with The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. I had read his Otherland series and really enjoyed it. Let's hope the same will be true for this

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
TempusVox's Dan Brown's Inferno. Grabbed it at the library on the way out as a back-up option in case I found myself without a book to read, which I did tonight as I am caught up with everything else on my list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1930 on: May 08, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »
Highly recommended for dog lovers

Anyway, getting my 80's fantasy on with The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. I had read his Otherland series and really enjoyed it. Let's hope the same will be true for this

I just reread the whole series in preparation for the upcoming sequels. I liked it back then and I like it now, imo clearly better than Otherland. But like all Tad Williams books he gets a little bit wordy sometimes.  :)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1931 on: May 08, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck

I think this should be required reading for every human being on the planet or at least America. Our country and the world would be much better off.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1932 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
I got almost halfway through The Dragonbone Chair, and it just went out of steam for me (I might come back to it in the future, but not right now). Anyway, some non-fiction for now: Space Odyssey by Michael Benson about the making of 2001

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1933 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »
The Long Walk by Stephen King

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1934 on: May 14, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
The Shadow Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: May 14, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
The Long Walk by Richard Bachman

:xbones
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1936 on: May 15, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
Paperbacks From Hell by Grady Hendrix

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1937 on: May 16, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »
Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1938 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
The Shunned House by H.P. Lovecraft

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1939 on: May 19, 2018, 05:27:41 AM »
Getting a double dose of Goldman, with The Temple of Gold

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1940 on: May 19, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
Thomas Ligotti - Teatro Grottesco

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1941 on: May 20, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »
Getting my classic lit on for the month with Howard's End by E.M. Forster

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1942 on: May 20, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Noir by Christopher Moore

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1943 on: May 20, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
Dry Bones in The Valley by Tom Bouman

I really wanted a mystery novel set in rural USA and this one doesn't disappoint. I'm really loving it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: May 26, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
Plum Island by Nelson DeMille (second reading). First of his John Corey novels, and one of my favorites. Cannot recommend DeMille enough for fans of action and suspense novels.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1945 on: May 27, 2018, 01:06:39 AM »
What does this button do by Bruce Dickinson

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: May 28, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »
Finished Wind Through the Keyhole and now I'm near the end of Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. Andy just got deactivated. It's good to get back into the series, even though I have some issues with Wolves.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1947 on: May 28, 2018, 11:53:35 AM »
Finished Wind Through the Keyhole and now I'm near the end of Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. Andy just got deactivated. It's good to get back into the series, even though I have some issues with Wolves.
What issues do you have with Wolves? I thought it was pretty well done

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
American On Purpose by Craig Ferguson.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: May 28, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »

Mild spoilers ahead:

Callahan's story. That's the main one. I didn't care for it at all (I haven't read the book where he's the protagonist, which is apparently a thing). It dragged, it was about a hundred pages in a seven or eight hundred paged book. I actually had to put the book aside a few times as I was falling asleep during it (I get up at 5 A.M. and I tend to fall asleep whenever the book doesn't have my attention).

The New-York rose plot. This is at least interesting so far, but I can't help but feel it's stealing attention from the Calla Bryn Sturgis plot (which I love). But hey, can't really complain about this, I feel this is important.

The 19 / 1999 / Saturday thing which came out all if a sudden. Yeah, I know it's a reference to the day King had his near-death experience, but it's a little too heavy-handed I think. Especially since none of the earlier books featured that (my copy of The Gunslinger did, but apparently that's a retcon King added to the later editions). I don't even mind this too much, but it plays such a large part in the plot with passwords and everything.

But still, I'm enjoying it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1950 on: May 28, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »

Mild spoilers ahead:

Callahan's story. That's the main one. I didn't care for it at all (I haven't read the book where he's the protagonist, which is apparently a thing). It dragged, it was about a hundred pages in a seven or eight hundred paged book. I actually had to put the book aside a few times as I was falling asleep during it (I get up at 5 A.M. and I tend to fall asleep whenever the book doesn't have my attention).

The New-York rose plot. This is at least interesting so far, but I can't help but feel it's stealing attention from the Calla Bryn Sturgis plot (which I love). But hey, can't really complain about this, I feel this is important.

The 19 / 1999 / Saturday thing which came out all if a sudden. Yeah, I know it's a reference to the day King had his near-death experience, but it's a little too heavy-handed I think. Especially since none of the earlier books featured that (my copy of The Gunslinger did, but apparently that's a retcon King added to the later editions). I don't even mind this too much, but it plays such a large part in the plot with passwords and everything.

But still, I'm enjoying it.

Fair points. As for Callahan's story, the book he first appears in is Salem's Lot, and he's not even a main character lol. Fantastic book though!

The whole rose plot and 19/1999 stuff bothered me the first time i read it, too. On my re-read last year it didn't bother me at all but maybe that was because i had a more intimate knowledge of how the different plots interact.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1951 on: May 29, 2018, 05:46:52 AM »
Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1952 on: May 29, 2018, 06:27:03 AM »
The Great Gatsby

I've read it before but it's one of my favorite books so I feel like going through it again.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: May 30, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
Spoilers for Dark Tower once again:

Finished Wolves of the Calla. Damn, I feel sorry for Jake (why is there always a stupid character that fucks up the whole plan? Hello Frank Tavery, thank you very much). I liked the actual Calla Bryn Sturgis plot a lot. And I liked the actual village too. It just felt real, with all their traditions and way of speaking and everything, that was great. The rest wasn't as good, as I said in my previous post, but hey, that was still a good book.

Going forward with Song of Susannah. I'm dreading this one a bit, I've heard that the quality of the remaining two books diminishes compared to the first five, and reading the blurb, it doesn't seem that interesting. I think Susannah will be prominent in this story, and I kinda don't care about this "Susannah / Mia" personality split, because we already had something like this with Odetta / Detta. I hope the book will prove me wrong though, but I'm going in with lowered expectations.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1954 on: May 30, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Songs of Susanna was okay imo, but is the weakest of the series along with the first book. The last book has some really great chapters but not everything is good imo, and the ending could/should have been better.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
Yeah, meant to say "diminishes compared to books 2-5", because the first wasn't really interesting at all.

So far, I would say 4 >>> 2 = 5 > 3 >>> 1 for me. But anyway, I'm determined to finish this series.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1956 on: May 30, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
Dimiter, William Peter Blatty. Before that it was The Informers, by Bret Easton Ellis.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1957 on: May 30, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »
Yeah, meant to say "diminishes compared to books 2-5", because the first wasn't really interesting at all.

So far, I would say 4 >>> 2 = 5 > 3 >>> 1 for me. But anyway, I'm determined to finish this series.
I thought it was a very good book, but I can see certain things that could bother you. And don't worry, the Susannah plot is more interesting than just another personality split thing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: May 30, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »
I honestly cannot remember a single thing from my reading of Song of Susanna years ago.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1959 on: May 30, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
I didn't like DT6 on the first read, but really enjoyed it on the reread. If you didn't like the rose plot in DT5 it'll be a grind, but at least it's short.