Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 285196 times)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #1610 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »
Now reading "red sister" by Mark Lawrence. And "Moby Dick"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1611 on: October 31, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
Billy Joel: The Definitive Biography by Fred Schruers

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: October 31, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
Now reading "red sister" by Mark Lawrence.

My favorite book from this year. I can't wait for the sequels!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
Finished Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane. Nice book, probably the second best in the series for me so far.

Now onto The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1614 on: November 01, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »
Origin by Dan Brown

Finished a couple days ago. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not really a "traditional" Langdon, as there isn't a whole lot of history or symbols, but still entertaining and thought provoking subject matter. What did you think?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1615 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
My wife is rereading the Harry Potter series and we had an interesting discussion in which we both agreed that it would be awesome to have that whole series rewritten from the perspective of Snape.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1616 on: November 03, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »
Darkness, Take My Hand, by Dennis Lehane. I'm also crawling through Dante's Inferno.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1617 on: November 04, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »
Origin by Dan Brown

Finished a couple days ago. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not really a "traditional" Langdon, as there isn't a whole lot of history or symbols, but still entertaining and thought provoking subject matter. What did you think?
Pretty much the same, except I judged it more with a 3. Better than Inferno and Lost Symbol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1618 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
Darkness, Take My Hand, by Dennis Lehane. I'm also crawling through Dante's Inferno.

Inferno is definitely a crawl lol. A slow, allegorical crawl. I think I've tried reading it 3 or 4 times now, and have never made it more than half way through.

Eric by Pratchett.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1619 on: November 04, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »
Origin by Dan Brown

Pretty much the same, except I judged it more with a 3. Better than Inferno and Lost Symbol

Well now I feel obliged to rank the Langdon series... as we love ranking things here lol

Angels and Demons
The DaVinci Code
Origin
Inferno
Lost Symbol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1620 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »
Origin by Dan Brown

Well now I feel obliged to rank the Langdon series... as we love ranking things here lol

Angels and Demons
The DaVinci Code
Origin
Inferno
Lost Symbol
That's it exactly

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1621 on: November 05, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »
Horns by Joe Hill
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1622 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
Silent Prey by John Sanford

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: November 06, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »

:tup   I've read every single Davenport book as they've been released since Rules. Always a great ride.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1624 on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »

:tup   I've read every single Davenport book as they've been released since Rules. Always a great ride.

Agreed. I started in on them based on a recommendation from an old lady at the bookstore. Really good series.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »

Agreed. I started in on them based on a recommendation from an old lady at the bookstore. Really good series.

Well, only 24 more or so to go.  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1626 on: November 06, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
Strange Weather by Joe Hill, hopefully more entertaining than the last one

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1627 on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »

Less 1. The woman who recommended the series said it was OK to read them out of order, with which i disagree completely. I read #1 then  #3, due to availability, and the 3rd book basically ruined the plot of the 2nd one.  I likely won't be going back to read it now. Although, i re-read books so that doesn't really make sense now that I'm typing it lol.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: November 06, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »
Catching up on my Agatha Christie. Feel like over the years I am 75% through all her works. Though I am finding books I know I have read, but cannot recall anything about them, so it is like I've never read them!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: November 06, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
Haven't read a book in about a year, but picked up What Does This Button Do? and have been reading it on my down time on my business trip.  Really enjoying it

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1630 on: November 07, 2017, 06:11:07 AM »

Less 1. The woman who recommended the series said it was OK to read them out of order, with which i disagree completely. I read #1 then  #3, due to availability, and the 3rd book basically ruined the plot of the 2nd one.  I likely won't be going back to read it now. Although, i re-read books so that doesn't really make sense now that I'm typing it lol.
I've big fan of the Davenport books as well. They take place in the Minneapolis area, which is an added layer of fun for me since I live there.

Have you guys read his Virgil Flowers series as well? I like those just as much, sometimes more.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »
Yes, I've read all the Virgil Flowers and Kidd books.

Flowers series have been hit and miss for me. It's hard to describe, he is a fun character to read about but his adventures haven't always hit with me. I like the idea of a red-neck Sherlock Holmes but Craig Johnson does it so much better with the Walt Longmire mysteries.

Now, the Kidd books are some of my favorites by Sanford. I like that the protagonist is actually a criminal/vigilante and that his hunting ground is cyberspace yet his activities always have real impact in world. That does tend to date the books though, I'm sure millennials would laugh at Kidd's primitive tools from the first book.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:47:41 AM by Podaar »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1632 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:02 AM »
Finished one of my Janet Evanovich Plum series novels - since there are like 30, I try to do one of those then something else. So now I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1633 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1634 on: November 09, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »
Just tied my all time record of most books read in a year with 90. Going to try to reach triple digits before the year ends.

Now reading, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1635 on: November 10, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
How do you do that? Don't you have to sleep? Do you do anything other than reading?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1636 on: November 10, 2017, 05:52:25 AM »
Just tied my all time record of most books read in a year with 90. Going to try to reach triple digits before the year ends.

Nice work! I hit the century club last year with 104. It definitely helped that i took 6 months of parental leave. I think I'll finish around 50 or so this year.  Re-reading Dark Tower slowed me down lol.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1637 on: November 10, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »
Finally got around to reading Ready Player One. That was a fun book even though I'm not a gamer.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1638 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:14 AM »

Nice work! I hit the century club last year with 104. It definitely helped that i took 6 months of parental leave. I think I'll finish around 50 or so this year.  Re-reading Dark Tower slowed me down lol.

I'm at 42, set my goal at 45. I'll try for over 50 next year I think.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1639 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »

I'm at 42, set my goal at 45. I'll try for over 50 next year I think.

Should consider quitting at 42. Just for the literary reference of course.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1640 on: November 10, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
I'll be lucky if I get to maybe 25 per year, am I too slow? Do I read only the 1000+ pages volumes? Seriously, how do you do it?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1641 on: November 10, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
How do you do that? Don't you have to sleep? Do you do anything other than reading?
I'm a very fast reader, plus I don't watch as much TV as I used to, plus the job where I work at doesn't have a lot of demanding responsibilities, so I get a fair amount of reading time done there too

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1642 on: November 10, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
I'll be lucky if I get to maybe 25 per year, am I too slow? Do I read only the 1000+ pages volumes? Seriously, how do you do it?
My typical book is about 400-600 pages, and my other hobbies are fitness and guitar. I only  watch about 1hr of tv per week, so that helps. My guitar playing suffered last year, without a doubt due to the reading, so there is a sacrifice on my end. I also read on my commute (1hr total each day) and at lunch (45min). I'm not a speed reader, but I'm no slouch either.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1643 on: November 10, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
I'm a very fast reader, plus I don't watch as much TV as I used to, plus the job where I work at doesn't have a lot of demanding responsibilities, so I get a fair amount of reading time done there too

That too. In my 104 year i read at least 30 while at work. In a sad attempt to justify it as professional development, i actually retyped the novels in typing software. So on top of reading i managed to get my WPM to a 70 average.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: November 10, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »

I think I've read about 10-15 this year, but I'm reading in my non-native language. I don't have any goals regarding the amount of books I read, though, I just read every day on the road and sometimes in evenings if I just can't put the book away. Page count also matters. For example, Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer goes on shelves in four days (I hope my pre-order will arrive this month, or at least this year) and I think it's like 1250 pages thick. That one is going to take me a while.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.