Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 290525 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #1225 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
I think it includes the trilogy in a single book tho?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1226 on: December 12, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »
Oh, does it? I didn't realize that. But still, I have all three. And I could buy 8-10 different new books for that amount of money.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1227 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:19 AM »
Finally finished up with Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass. My favorite so far in the series.

Going to take a break from the series and read something a little light and Christmas-ey. Started in on Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel this morning. He's among my favorite authors, and does a great job with his comedies. If you've never read one of his books, consider checking out Dirty Job or Lamb. Although the latter book is likely not suitable for the overly religious person. Nothing offensive, but it definitely pokes fun in and around the Jesus stories.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »
Oh, does it? I didn't realize that. But still, I have all three. And I could buy 8-10 different new books for that amount of money.

It actually doesn't. It's only The Final Empire.

And the amount of books you can get for $100 is impressive. The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance hardcovers cost me about $30 each with shipping, so it's really not too much money for me, especially since I don't own a physical copy of The Final Empire yet.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:45:03 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »

And the amount of books you can get for $100 is impressive. The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance hardcovers cost me about $30 each with shipping, so it's really not too much money for me, especially since I don't own a physical The Final Empire yet.
My bad  :P

Well, you can always get this one instead, which is far cheaper.

Finally finished up with Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass. My favorite so far in the series.
Still haven't finished it (I'm just slow as of late), but it's probably my second fav so far, it's just wonderful.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: December 13, 2016, 11:44:08 AM »

And the amount of books you can get for $100 is impressive. The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance hardcovers cost me about $30 each with shipping, so it's really not too much money for me, especially since I don't own a physical The Final Empire yet.
My bad  :P

Well, you can always get this one instead, which is far cheaper.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this one. Will they also release the other two books?

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1231 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Germany's Aims in the First World War, written in 1961 or so by a historian named Fritz Fischer.  The general thesis is that the war wasn't simply an ignition of tensions in Europe at the time, which had been simplified to be a powder keg which was lit by the assassination of Franz Ferdinand (as I remember being taught in school).  It was a much longer development resulting from decades of deliberate imperialist aspirations by the ruling classes of Germany dating back to the 1880s and earlier.  I am only restating some of reviewers' summaries because its such a dense book with many names and events that I haven't heard of and can't quite keep track of.  I picked it up because it has been seen as a huge turning point in Germany's understanding of WWII (which is not the topic of the book), since before it was written, it was felt in Germany that Hitler was some aberration who took advantage of rare circumstances to seize power and wield it the way he did.  This book lays the argument that Hitler was almost an inevitable result of the previous half century or more of German policy.

Having dipped my toe in WWI history, I came across a recommendation to read All Quiet on the Western Front.  I just started, but was already moved by the narrators description of a 19 year old soldier dying in a hospital bed.

An hour passes. I sit tensely and watch his every movement in case he may perhaps say something. What if he were to open his mouth and cry out! But he only weeps, his head turned aside. He does not speak of his mother or his brothers and sisters. He says nothing; all that lies behind him; he is entirely alone now with his little life of nineteen years, and cries because it leaves him. This is the most disturbing and hardest parting that I ever have seen, although it was pretty bad too with Tiedjen, who called for his mother--a big bear of a fellow who, with wild eyes full of terror, held off the doctor from his bed with a dagger until he collapsed.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: December 13, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
Wow, I wasn't aware of this one. Will they also release the other two books?
I have no clue, probably not, since other series in that "anniversary" edition have only had their first book published that way, like The Lies of Lock Lamora, The Blade Itself, or Game of Thrones.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1233 on: December 15, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
Made quick work of The Stupidest Angel.

Back on the Dark Tower series now, so I just picked up Wolves of the Calla! I'm really liking the cover art on the revised editions that I'm reading, too. They'll look might nice on my book shelf once I finish them all  :smiley:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1234 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Spent four hours yesterday reading A Monster Calls. Quite a gut wrenching story. Don't know if I'll see the movie, although I imagine it will be similar to Pan's Labyrinth in a way. Now, currently reading The Nix by Nathan Hill

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: December 18, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
It turns out I wasn't able to order that Mistborn leatherbound edition, it's sold out right now in Brandon's store and other bookshops don't ship to Russia, so I guess that's it. Oh well, I guess I saved money on this one. Will probably order a hardcover from Sacul's link then, why the hell not. Still, I'm rather disappointed.

Getting to the end of Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. I'm really unimpressed so far, the novel took a long time to get going, and it's pretty difficult to get into. The things are finally heating up, and I will finish the book for sure, but I doubt I'll keep reading through the series.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1236 on: December 18, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
The Language of God by Francis S. Collins

Dr. Collins was the head of the Human Genome Project, and at one point an atheist. This book truly does compel one to consider the belief in a higher power, regardless of what you may call it or how you praise it. The doctor believes faith in God and faith in science can coexist without creating an internal struggle.

Hef, I think you would really like this one.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: December 19, 2016, 12:05:44 AM »
To get into the spirit of the season I just started to reread for the first time since it's release 20 years ago:

Hogfather - Terry Pratchett

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1238 on: December 19, 2016, 06:25:51 AM »
Hey everyone! I need some suggestions on an author or series to tackle next. I've spent the last 7-8 years reading everything by King and Barker. I'm just starting the final book of the strain trilogy and I have no idea where to go next. I've been thinking about diving into Michael Crichton or maybe re-reading Lord of the Rings or The Dark Tower.

I primarily enjoy horror/sci-fi/fantasy. Any authors or series that I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1239 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »
Hey everyone! I need some suggestions on an author or series to tackle next. I've spent the last 7-8 years reading everything by King and Barker. I'm just starting the final book of the strain trilogy and I have no idea where to go next. I've been thinking about diving into Michael Crichton or maybe re-reading Lord of the Rings or The Dark Tower.

I primarily enjoy horror/sci-fi/fantasy. Any authors or series that I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

My vote is definitely  reread The Dark Tower. I'm on book 5 on my first read through, and I'm loving this series.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1240 on: December 20, 2016, 01:11:22 PM »
Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: December 20, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I generally lean more toward reading a single book here and there rather than focusing on an author or series, so if you're looking to someone to really dive into, I may not be much help.  But I do read primarily horror, so I thought I's throw a few suggestions out.

First of all, Peter Straub.  You may have read him before, but if not, you should at least check out Ghost Story.  King thinks very highly of him as well, and for very good reason

Another author that managed to catch King's attention is Nick Cutter.  This guy only has a couple of books under his belt so far, but they are pretty awesome.  I particularly love The Deep - the plot is a little bit thin, but it is stuffed full of disturbing imagery, and it made me genuinely uncomfortable.

Speaking of genuinely uncomfortable, definitely read The Visible Filth, by Nathan Ballingrud.  It's only a novella, but even so, it creeped me out as much as any book has in years.  It legitimately made me have trouble getting to sleep, which is something not many books can claim.  For bonus points, there's a little bit of crossover with the fantasy genre, as Ballingrud also wrote a wonderful short story collection called North American Lake Monsters. 

You might also check out Christopher Priest.  If you know him from anything, you probably know him as the author of The Prestige.  If you haven't read that, you should, because it's brilliant.  But even if you have, you might like The Islanders.  It's sort of an experimental short story collection novel thing.  Strictly speaking, it isn't horror, but it has some eerie themes running through it, and one of the stories is just plain freaky. 

Definitely look at Bird Box, by Josh Malerman.  It's his only novel so far, but it packs a hell of a punch.  It kind of takes some ideas from the Lovecraft playbook in that it explores supernatural madness and fear of the unknown, although it's much more modern in style.  There's a sense of dread in pretty much every sentence, and the tension just never lets up.

Christopher Golden is another one to consider.  In some ways, he reminds of Dean Koontz.  I honestly think he is a better storyteller than Koontz, but his stories feel like they are in the same vein of creepy.  I recommend Snowblind as a starting point. 

While I'm on the subject of Koontz...  Any interest?  I'm not a huge fan of his in general, but if you haven't read Watchers, I recommend giving it a try, as it's a surprisingly great book. 

If you haven't read any William Peter Blatty, do it.  You owe it to yourself to at least read The Exorcist.  Or, if you feel like you don't need to read the book after seeing the movie, check out Legion instead, because it's equally awesome. 

I also want to mention a book called I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid.  I'm not sure it will be up you alley - correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that your interests lean more toward the supernatural, whereas this one is more of a psychological thriller.  Still, I highly recommend at least taking a look.  It really does a great job capturing sort of a nightmare feeling, where you're reading what seems almost to be a boring story except that everything feels wrong and you're never sure why.  It really got in my head.

Just a few thoughts!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: December 21, 2016, 12:06:16 AM »
I would suggest A Game of Thrones, and then the subsequent books if you find it a good read, which I imagine you would.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1243 on: December 21, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Thanks! I'm going to check out The Exorcist and Legion.

I generally lean more toward reading a single book here and there rather than focusing on an author or series, so if you're looking to someone to really dive into, I may not be much help.  But I do read primarily horror, so I thought I's throw a few suggestions out.

First of all, Peter Straub.  You may have read him before, but if not, you should at least check out Ghost Story.  King thinks very highly of him as well, and for very good reason

Another author that managed to catch King's attention is Nick Cutter.  This guy only has a couple of books under his belt so far, but they are pretty awesome.  I particularly love The Deep - the plot is a little bit thin, but it is stuffed full of disturbing imagery, and it made me genuinely uncomfortable.

Speaking of genuinely uncomfortable, definitely read The Visible Filth, by Nathan Ballingrud.  It's only a novella, but even so, it creeped me out as much as any book has in years.  It legitimately made me have trouble getting to sleep, which is something not many books can claim.  For bonus points, there's a little bit of crossover with the fantasy genre, as Ballingrud also wrote a wonderful short story collection called North American Lake Monsters. 

You might also check out Christopher Priest.  If you know him from anything, you probably know him as the author of The Prestige.  If you haven't read that, you should, because it's brilliant.  But even if you have, you might like The Islanders.  It's sort of an experimental short story collection novel thing.  Strictly speaking, it isn't horror, but it has some eerie themes running through it, and one of the stories is just plain freaky. 

Definitely look at Bird Box, by Josh Malerman.  It's his only novel so far, but it packs a hell of a punch.  It kind of takes some ideas from the Lovecraft playbook in that it explores supernatural madness and fear of the unknown, although it's much more modern in style.  There's a sense of dread in pretty much every sentence, and the tension just never lets up.

Christopher Golden is another one to consider.  In some ways, he reminds of Dean Koontz.  I honestly think he is a better storyteller than Koontz, but his stories feel like they are in the same vein of creepy.  I recommend Snowblind as a starting point. 

While I'm on the subject of Koontz...  Any interest?  I'm not a huge fan of his in general, but if you haven't read Watchers, I recommend giving it a try, as it's a surprisingly great book. 

If you haven't read any William Peter Blatty, do it.  You owe it to yourself to at least read The Exorcist.  Or, if you feel like you don't need to read the book after seeing the movie, check out Legion instead, because it's equally awesome. 

I also want to mention a book called I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid.  I'm not sure it will be up you alley - correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that your interests lean more toward the supernatural, whereas this one is more of a psychological thriller.  Still, I highly recommend at least taking a look.  It really does a great job capturing sort of a nightmare feeling, where you're reading what seems almost to be a boring story except that everything feels wrong and you're never sure why.  It really got in my head.

Just a few thoughts!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: December 26, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
Finished the fourth Dark Tower book, Wizard and Glass. Damn, that was excellent. Now I'll probably start the following one in the series, or maybe I'll jump into Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1245 on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
Trying to squeeze in one more book for the year, and it's the sequel to one of my favorite reads of the year (might be my favorite): Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1246 on: January 01, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1247 on: January 01, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
Finally started with A Song of Ice and Fire.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: January 01, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
The Passage Justin Cronin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1249 on: January 02, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1250 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
Finished up with Dark Tower V: The Wolves of the Calla. Not quite as good as W&G, but awfully close. Going to pick up the sixth book today.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lel
« Reply #1251 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
Goddamnit I haven't even started it :lol

Still halfway through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and it's good but goddamnit that first encounter was awkward af.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1252 on: January 05, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
My damn bookstore only had the small print version of Dark Tower 6, whereas the rest of my collection for the series is the large print version (better cover art, IMO). Now I'm at the mercy of Amazon's distribution centre

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: January 05, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
I recently read Live by Night.  Pretty cool mobster story, definitely interested in seeing the movie now

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1254 on: January 07, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
Uprooted by Naomi Novak

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1255 on: January 08, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
I finished Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale. I Think I've found 2 of my new favorite characters in Hap and Leonard.

Right now Im reading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1256 on: January 08, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

A girl at work lent it to me. We're both introverts, she's an INTP I believe and I'm an ISTJ, we're pretty similar personality wise, so it'll be nice to talk about it after I finish
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
That book is fucking brilliant.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1258 on: January 08, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
I'm really enjoying it so far. It's easy to read and incredibly interesting. I majored in Human Resources in college and we read so many books about personality, I'm sad that this wasn't part of the curriculum. I really like this book and obviously can relate to many parts of it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1259 on: January 09, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »
I wouldn't say it's brilliant but it's pretty good.
BTW I'm IxxJ. Other two letters are around 50%. Last time I did the test I was ISFJ. 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...