Author Topic: NFL 2024 season - off season chatter  (Read 1234 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NFL 2024 season - off season chatter
« Reply #105 on: Today at 09:05:49 AM »
As a person who has hated the Patriots for years, it does my heart good to see all the Patriots fans here finally hate the Patriots as well lol

I can't say "hate", but I really don't like the organization right now.  I wish the Gints had something better than Daniel Jones, because I'd go back to being a Giants fan.

Typical Connecticut response.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: Today at 09:15:26 AM »
3 bad seasons.  He didn't draft well from 2019 on.

He pushed Brady out the door.

He definitely messed up not having a secession plan when pushing Brady out the door.

When you are in charge of it all, it always falls at your feet.

I think it's simplifying things to say "he pushed Brady out the door".  I think this was not all Belichick's doing, and it wasn't all in his hands. 

And he HAD a plan; interim guy with Newton and then Mac Jones.  No one knew Mac was going to shit his pants on field.   So Belichick has to be PERFECT to get his due?  And not even have a chance to cure the problem? 

I don't disagree with it that "it all falls at your feet", but now that he's no longer there, it's a CHOICE to focus on the good things or the bad things, and I think now, some in a position to drive the narrative are not only focusing on the negative, but are seemingly going out of their way to FIND things to be negative about.  Okay, so Danny Amendola feels "betrayed" about Malcolm Butler. So? Who decided that Danny Amendola gets to set the standard about how we feel?  I don't know what went on with Butler and neither do you. 

And the draft is starting to be a one of those Mandela effect things (is that what it's called?).  This has the Pats as having a top 10 draft record over the last 20-some-odd years. ACTUAL STATS, not perception.
I still think it was inevitable that Brady would want to strike out on his own. I also think that King is right that he's a whiny little bitch.

As for Bill's drafting, I think it's rough because it doesn't jibe with the standard metric. His early picks, where you want them to be hits are often misses. Usually misses towards the end. At the same time I don't think there's any GM as good at finding the later round picks and UFAs. Michael Onwenu was a sixth round pick, yet he was the most sought after O lineman in the league this year. I'm not so bothered about crappy first rounders if you get first round talent in the 6th round. Or pull it out of your ass after the draft. While I do not think it's evened out, not even close, it does make his drafts better than they seem at first glance. We judge him by the N'Keal Harry's without even looking at the Jacobi Meyers's (who didn't even cost a pick).

Unrelated--I just watched a video of all of McCorkle's interceptions over 3 years, and holy shit did the wheels fall off of that kid. Looked like damn near all of his picks in 2021 hit receivers in the hands and got tipped. By 2023 he's throwing balls to empty space, or right to LBs and Ss looking for the ball. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't matter who's calling plays if your QB is throwing the ball 10yds behind his receivers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: Today at 10:54:26 AM »
Nobody but Belichick knows what went on with Butler. LOL

I agree with the later picks El Barto but you do pay more money on the higher draft picks which has been very spotty the last 4 years. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #108 on: Today at 01:01:07 PM »

I agree with the later picks El Barto but you do pay more money on the higher draft picks which has been very spotty the last 4 years.
Like I clearly said, it doesn't even out. It does, however, make those drafts better than people think they were. People only focus on the first one or two rounds, and he whiffed on plenty of those. They don't focus on later rounds where a good scout can find real talent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: Today at 04:11:51 PM »
When you have big misses like N'Keal Harry as an example it's hard not to think he failed. But Harris in the 3rd was a good pick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: Today at 05:24:43 PM »

Like I clearly said, it doesn't even out. It does, however, make those drafts better than people think they were. People only focus on the first one or two rounds, and he whiffed on plenty of those. They don't focus on later rounds where a good scout can find real talent.

I think if you look at most team's drafts, they are probably all pretty similar. I don't think Bill's drafts are really all that different than most teams.

Bill is an excellent coach and teacher, so he's gotten the most out of a number of guys in the back half and of guys not drafted.

We judge him by the N'Keal Harry's without even looking at the Jacobi Meyers's (who didn't even cost a pick).

Is this the same Jakobi Myers that he wouldn't resign for just a million more and matched the Raiders in favor of paying a useless Juju much more than what Myers would've cost him?

And the draft is starting to be a one of those Mandela effect things (is that what it's called?).  This has the Pats as having a top 10 draft record over the last 20-some-odd years. ACTUAL STATS, not perception.

How about narrowing it down to the last 10 years? Isn't it the 2021 draft where there's nobody left?
Didn't they just hand out the first second contract in like 8 years?

* I am nothing if not a libertarian; Mac Jones is responsible for his arm, his legs, and his brain, not Bill B. Bill O., Matt P., or Josh M.  That interception against the Colts was on Mac Jones, period, just like that stupid fumble from Cam Newton against Buffalo was on him (how a 10 year vet doesn't know to carry the ball in his weak side hand is beyond me).  No coaching in the world could have prevented those mistakes from happening, short of a repeat of that other Buffalo game when Mac threw the ball three times.  I think Bill knew before all of us that Mac wasn't the guy, and did the best he could to make something of it.  Who else was he going to get in mid-season?   And he acquiesced to the outside pressure to bring in O'Brien and even HE couldn't make something of the kid.   C'mon.

Like all things related to the last 6-8 years of the Patriots drama, fault does not lie with one party 100%.  But I do think when Mac grows up and looks back, he'll likely regret not taking advantage of the opportunity he had. He was still QB1, and he really threw it away..
« Last Edit: Today at 05:47:17 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: Today at 06:02:29 PM »
We judge him by the N'Keal Harry's without even looking at the Jacobi Meyers's (who didn't even cost a pick).

Is this the same Jakobi Myers that he wouldn't resign for just a million more and matched the Raiders in favor of paying a useless Juju much more than what Myers would've cost him?
Completely unrelated to my point, but yes.

Personally, I think Bill fucked up on that, but not in the way people assume. The narrative is that he simply traded JM for JJSS. Not literally, of course, but got rid of one to sign another. My hunch is that he misread the market and figured he was going to get something better than JM. I have no real clue, but I always kind of figured that plans didn't work out for him and he settled for JJSS.

edit: Also, JJSS cost 7.5m less than JM.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:14:30 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: Today at 07:07:47 PM »

Completely unrelated to my point, but yes.

Personally, I think Bill fucked up on that, but not in the way people assume. The narrative is that he simply traded JM for JJSS. Not literally, of course, but got rid of one to sign another. My hunch is that he misread the market and figured he was going to get something better than JM. I have no real clue, but I always kind of figured that plans didn't work out for him and he settled for JJSS.

edit: Also, JJSS cost 7.5m less than JM.

Is that right? And yes, I know it was unrelated but I had to mention it. In Jakobi, he had a pretty dependable player. Still, it's an example of the kind of thing that had done this team in.