Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 285139 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:06:43 AM »
I though the limit was 200 pages before locking. Oh well :sadpanda:

I'm 19 years old, recommend me something good!
It depends on what you like and what books you have read before and enjoyed so far. I'll give you some recommendations by genre:

Detective/Mystery/Crime
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a wonderful collection of short stories, each one with a strange case that Sherlock solves in a really smart way that makes it seem obvious. Although it was written in the 19th century, it's an easy read and you'll find Watson reaction's to Sherlock methods quite funny.

The Mystery of the Yellow Room, by Gaston Leroux. This was actually the only book that I really enjoyed back in high school. The story is about a murder of a woman, but the weird thing is that she is locked on a room, so when her parents enter the place, they find her bleeding, but there are no sings of the killer or how he entered the room. The plot twists are mind-blowing.

Fantasy
Harry Potter, by J.K Rowling. Ok, not the most creative suggestion, but who cares? I read the entire series a few years ago, in a few months and I wasn't even a child and enjoyed it. This series have made a lots of kids realize they enjoy reading, and even some adults. Although the movies are great, they miss a lot of details and scenes, but the most important thing: Harry's sarcasm. I still don't get how such an important part of his personality wasn't showed on the movies, but anyways, this is a really good series. Books 5 and 6 might drag a bit, since they're really long, but it's still an easy read, no matter the age.

I could recommend you another books, but unfortunately, those are either too long for a nobel reader or the writer really likes lots of unnecessary details. So, I wouldn't recommend you the Lord of Rings trilogy, as Tolkien style is really tough and dense, even for an experienced reader.

Science Fiction
The Hunger Games, by Susanne Collins. I know this is a modern series, specially for teens and young adults, but the style is so engaging and addictive, that it's worth for someone who starts in the world of literature. The story may have some stupid details, book 3 isn't so awesome, and it's on a kind of post-world-war world, but the story is really interesting and easy to understand, so take it as an entry level book. The great classics are like the prog of literature - wonderfully crafted, but difficult to digest.

Others
Choose Your Own Adventure, by lots of different authors. One of my favorite series ever, and definitely the best books for somebody who is starting to read seriously. These are written in second-person, thus it means that you are the protagonist of the book, and the writer guides you through the story. And the best thing: decisions. You reach a point when you have to decide either one thing or another, and the story can change a lot, specially 'cause of the first choices at the beginning. So, you have different endings, and that depends on the edition, but my favorites are the ones with 20 or more finals, specially those where I die :lol.

I think you'll find all of these at your local library, so I wish you good luck on your reading :tup.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
Woo, new thread!

I kind of lurked the old thread and found some good recommendations.

I just recently started reading, and it's a very light read, "Stories For The Nighttime And Some For The Day"

What a strange collection of stories.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

I really enjoyed that book in high school - but its been a long time!

I enjoyed the first few chapters, where he talks about his friend's relationship to technology and the beginning of the classic/romantic split (i.e., ignoring reality and getting upset when it interrupts your ignorance when something breaks).  When he gets into his talk about quality, and I finally realize that Phaedrus is his past identity, the whole motorcycle journey metaphor evaporates, and he is is just rambling on and on about quality.  I don't feel like i've read anything new on the subject for 50 pages, and it seems very repetitive.  I'll report further when I finish the book.

Edit: Also, I faked the post quotes here, since the previous thread is locked.  I don't know how the link in the quote codes the date and time, but I played with it to get it reasonably close.  Totally useless, but I thought i would try to see how it works for my own satisfaction.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Finished The Gunslinger yesterday, now on The Drawing of the Three. Maybe this time I'll make it to Book 7...
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »
The Future of the Mind - Michio Kaku

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
Finished The Gunslinger yesterday, now on The Drawing of the Three. Maybe this time I'll make it to Book 7...

I never have...I always peder out somewhere in the first few chapters of TDotT. Good luck.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
That was how far I got the last time as well. :lol Though this time I am determined to finish the series.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
Fantasy
Harry Potter, by J.K Rowling. Ok, not the most creative suggestion, but who cares? I read the entire series a few years ago, in a few months and I wasn't even a child and enjoyed it. This series have made a lots of kids realize they enjoy reading, and even some adults. Although the movies are great, they miss a lot of details and scenes, but the most important thing: Harry's sarcasm. I still don't get how such an important part of his personality wasn't showed on the movies, but anyways, this is a really good series. Books 5 and 6 might drag a bit, since they're really long, but it's still an easy read, no matter the age.

I could recommend you another books, but unfortunately, those are either too long for a nobel reader or the writer really likes lots of unnecessary details. So, I wouldn't recommend you the Lord of Rings trilogy, as Tolkien style is really tough and dense, even for an experienced reader.

He's 19 not 9.

If fantasy's your bag, definitely go with George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire or The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. If you're interested in more of an urban fantasy with a mystery twist (and how could you not be) check out The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

If you're more into capital-L literature I always recommend Chuck Palahniuk. Survivor, Haunted, and Rant are probably my favorites. Fight Club's also pretty good.

On-topic: I am currently reading The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham...as I am an aspiring fantasy author I will be reading a lot of less mainstream fantasy and I'll definitely recommend anything good. This one's pretty good so far.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
I've been "on a mission" sort of the last few years that, if I read a book, it will be a classic. So, since I'm going to Europe for a month soon, I uploaded the top 20 German classics on my Nook. First one will be The Tin Drum, quite excited about reading it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
I'm currently reading an advance copy of Nick Cutter's next book, titled The Deep, scheduled for release in January of next year.  Pretty good so far.  Because of the undersea setting, it's easy to compare it with a book like Sphere or a movie like The Abyss, and there are definite similarities, but it has a distinct horror atmosphere to it.  I'm definitely intrigued.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
This is going to sound REALLY cheesy....but I'm going retro.

When I was a teenager, I was addicted to the first few Chronicles of Gor books by John Norman.     This started out as a great mix of Conan meets John Carter of Mars...and after about 5 books started to degrade more and more away from the sci-fi adventure...and more and more into the psychology of slave and master relationships...and it got pretty hokey. ...so I lost interest.

But I still maintain that the first 4 or 5 books are fantastic testosterone overloaded, warrior, sci-fi, fantasy awesomeness that would make any Manowar fan proud.    I haven't read them in almost 30 years, and I just received the first 3 books (complete with Boris Vallejo artwork...I've always been a fan of his) in the mail after ordering them off of Ebay.  I'm going to see if they've aged well.   If not, then hey, at least I got three pieces of Boris Vallejo artwork.   :xbones 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 05:05:15 AM »

When I was a teenager, I was addicted to the first few Chronicles of Gor books by John Norman.     This started out as a great mix of Conan meets John Carter of Mars...and after about 5 books started to degrade more and more away from the sci-fi adventure...and more and more into the psychology of slave and master relationships...and it got pretty hokey. ...so I lost interest.

But I still maintain that the first 4 or 5 books are fantastic testosterone overloaded, warrior, sci-fi, fantasy awesomeness that would make any Manowar fan proud.    I haven't read them in almost 30 years, and I just received the first 3 books (complete with Boris Vallejo artwork...I've always been a fan of his) in the mail after ordering them off of Ebay.  I'm going to see if they've aged well.   If not, then hey, at least I got three pieces of Boris Vallejo artwork.   :xbones
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Fantasy

He's 19 not 9.

If fantasy's your bag, definitely go with George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire or The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
I would add Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy to that list.

I'm almost finished with Cloud Atlas and it's been an incredible read!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »

I take it you've heard of the books?  :lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
Dimitrius, I took the first book of Abercrombie's series out from the library and will be starting it when I finish the one I'm on now, so I look forward to it.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
Say hello to Glokta from me.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »
Finished The Waste Lands yesterday. Starting with Wizard and Glass tomorrow. I find King a lot easier to read in English than in a German translation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »

I take it you've heard of the books?  :lol
No, but I like Conan, John Carter, and Boris Vallejo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
Well then you'd LOVE the Chronicles of Gor.   I just finished the first book Tarnsman of Gor in a two day shot, and I gotta say I haven't had that much fun reading in quite some time. 

Since I discovered Gor first when I was thirteen, I wouldn't discover how much it borrowed from John Carter until much later...so I might be biased.   But it was a very light, but extremely fun read.  If you're a fan of that genre and you're not looking for anything really groundbreaking, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I'm already 4 chapters into book two, Outlaw of Gor, and having a blast.   Looks like a full blown "binge" is in my immediate future.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
Cool, I may try to track those down.

Offline adace

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
I'm reading The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell (part of his Saxon Chronicles series). I'm a huge history buff so this is right up my alley. The storytelling is phenomenal and the characters, especially the main one, are very memorable. For anyone interested in the history of ancient England, or just a good story in general, I highly recommend it. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Flip flopping between Flannery O'Connor's 'Everything that Rises Must Converge' and John Hodgman's 'More Information than You Require.' After reading the first few short stories in ETRMC, I had to offset the darkness with the literary humor of John Hodgman.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:42 AM »
Finished Wizard and Glass yesterday. Man that was long.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »
Dan Brown - Inferno

I used to read alot but not so much anymore sadly, I don't know I never seem to be in the mood. Anyway I have read all of his books and they're easy to get into so I thought his latest would be a good start to get in the mood.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »
Still finishing up on Tolstoy's War and Peace. It took about 300 pages to really get into it, and this is one of the books I won't mind reading again just after I finished it. I don't think I can grasp all of it in one read.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 06:25:19 AM »
This was my favorite of the series.  For some reason, I was really taken by the whole imagery of that town, and Roland's youth.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »
This was my favorite of the series.  For some reason, I was really taken by the whole imagery of that town, and Roland's youth.
Since I had already read the graphic novels, which focus on Roland's youth, much of the story was already known to me, which made it feel a little draggy in parts, but it was really very very good. I really like the character of Cuthbert.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
Die Trying by Lee Child

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
Finished The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss. Magnificent book, better than the first one. I really love Pat's prose, he's a damn poet.

Now, while I'm still trying to finish Crossroads of Twilight, book ten of the Wheel of Time series, I want to read something else. But just single books, not another saga. So, which would you recommend me from thise?

Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami
The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury
Dracula, by Bram Stoker
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
1Q84, by Haruki Murakami (I know this is a trilogy -and isn't too long- but I'm curious because no matter how many reviews I read, I still don't get what it is about :lol)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:57:12 AM by Sacul »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Finished The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss. Magnificent book, better than the first one. I really love Pat's prose, he's a damn poet.

Now, while I'm still trying to finish Crossroads of Twilight, book ten of the Wheel of Time series, I want to read something else. But just single books, not another saga. So, which would you recommend me from thise?

Dracula, by Cram Stoker
1Q84, by Haruki Murakami (I know this is a trilogy -and isn't too long- but I'm curious because no matter how many reviews I read, I still don't get what it is about :lol)

I liked dracula, and I had to read Gatsby for school and I didn't really care for it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »

Dracula, by Cram Stoker

Of those, I've read Martian Chronicles and Gatsby, with Dracula also being on my to-read list. I know I'm a minority, but I didn't like Martian Chronicles nearly as much as other Bradbury stuff. So I'll go with Gatsby, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 06:03:24 AM »
Nothing To Lose by Lee Child

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »

Dracula, by Cram Stoker

Cram is it?  ;D

I've read Dracula and didn't find it that interesting. The problem is, you already know where it is going and the writing style is not that special, if I remember correctly.

The Martians Chronicles were decent

The rest I haven't read.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »
Cujo by Stephen King.
Brave
Murder
Day