Author Topic: Post Yur Piture Thead v. Surfin' Bird  (Read 447670 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Post Your Picture Thead v. Surfin' Bird
« Reply #3465 on: October 02, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
EB.....how long you been growing that beard? That is a mans man beard....friggin legit!  :tup
August 5, 2013. Truth is that is actually moving backward at this point. Not growing like it used to and you lose a little every time you brush. It was probably at its best about a year ago.

And thanks.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3466 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
EB.....how long you been growing that beard? That is a mans man beard....friggin legit!  :tup
August 5, 2013. Truth is that is actually moving backward at this point. Not growing like it used to and you lose a little every time you brush. It was probably at its best about a year ago.

And thanks.

That's a solid effort! Was that your transplant date....or nearbouts?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3467 on: October 02, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
I say this with the utmost respect (as someone who struggles to have a full beard that looks legit) but when I met el Barto, it was at a bar I know pretty well and had been to a number of times.  I walked in, and you can only really see about half the place from the door, and yet I looked over at the bar, saw him - beard and Iron Maiden shirt - and walked right up.  Didn't have to look any further.  :)   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3468 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »

And thanks.

That's a solid effort! Was that your transplant date....or nearbouts?
Yup. Night before. Since I was largely holed up playing Skyrim for 6 weeks after, it was a good opportunity to get the ugly part out of the way. And the six week mark was where it suddenly got good to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3469 on: October 02, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
King points out that I probably wasn't having enough fun with my post above. In retrospect, he's probably right. I should have responded with:

Wow, Nick is a shoe in for Wreck-It Ralph.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: October 02, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Sorry, Nick. That wasn't very nice... Here, I'll balance you back out.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3471 on: October 02, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
Nick smash!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: October 02, 2017, 06:23:52 PM »
That forearm is huge from you know what.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3473 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »
Feelin dem Bud Ices.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3474 on: October 03, 2017, 10:54:09 PM »

Hiking near Vancouver, BC, Canada. Spectacular scenery there. My favorite place on Earth thus far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: October 04, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Looks awesome, if my work slows down and I'm feeling healthy (been fairly sick this week) then I think I'm going to head to Rocky Mountains National Park on Sunday.  Seeing that scenery is only making me want to go more.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3476 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
Looks awesome, if my work slows down and I'm feeling healthy (been fairly sick this week) then I think I'm going to head to Rocky Mountains National Park on Sunday.  Seeing that scenery is only making me want to go more.
Pretty late in the year for that. I doubt the road to the top is fully open, and it'd be too cold to camp there. Honestly, while RMNP is one of the most beautiful places in America, you need time to hike to some of the more remote locales to really see the best of it.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: October 04, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
It would be a day trip, so mostly driving through the park, and yea, the area got hit wiht lots of snow so I expect some road closure (which I see they posted, but the park is open).

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3478 on: October 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
I didn’t think about snow, but I was going to say that you should make the hike to Emerald Lake there if it’s open and you don’t mind walking six miles round trip. The time we were there this summer, the lake was a *perfect* mirror with the cliffs beyond as a backdrop. Was one of the most stunning sights I’ve ever had the fortune to behold.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3479 on: October 04, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
I didn’t think about snow, but I was going to say that you should make the hike to Emerald Lake there if it’s open and you don’t mind walking six miles round trip. The time we were there this summer, the lake was a *perfect* mirror with the cliffs beyond as a backdrop. Was one of the most stunning sights I’ve ever had the fortune to behold.
I've done a few of the lake hikes, but I honestly have no idea if Emerald was one of them. They're all quite lovely, though. Which is why. . .

It would be a day trip, so mostly driving through the park, and yea, the area got hit wiht lots of snow so I expect some road closure (which I see they posted, but the park is open).
I honestly wouldn't bother. RMNP is spectacular, but you can't see it from a car. Moreover, you can't see it in a day. Hell, even if you picked one scenic hike to take, the thin air would kick your ass trying on your first day in country. I'd want at least a full day to get acclimated, you could make that your driving day, and several more for visiting the various features. The hiking trails are remarkably easy to cope with, some are even wheelchair accessible, and they take you to wonderful places. That's the part you need to see.

Also worth noting, if you pick the right night, you can see some extraordinary night sky. With no moon, no clouds, and that elevation, things can get quite amazing. My anal-retentive trip planning self likes to take things like this into account.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: October 04, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
Well, its a work trip so this was going to be my day off and I don't particularly care, if the weather/workload/my health keep up, I am very likely to head out there for the afternoon.  Work paid rental car and gas, a 2 hour drive from my hotel each way, I think it would be totally worth it if I only got to the park entrance lol And if for no other reason than to say I've equaled the amount of national parks my gf has gone to (she's at 7, I'm at 6 and we are trying to do a trip to Shenandoah soon which she's been to so I could get the lead).  Obciously I'd never be able to do the cool stuff since that's a real trip, just looking for something cool to do for a day with a car Im not paying for.  Last time I went to Cheyanne Wyoming and got to think this would be 10 times cooler.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3481 on: October 04, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Well if the company's paying for it knock yourself out. And since you mentioned Sunday, that suggests you will have been in CO a day or two, so definitely look to hike to one of the lakes. Depending on the lake, figure an hour or two of easy walking, R/T. If you haven't before, be sure and check out Red Rocks. And Garden of the Gods is awesome (45 minutes S of Denver).

Unsure why anybody would want to go to Cheyenne, but once you get away from the interstates and big cities I found Wyoming to be pretty pleasant.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3482 on: October 04, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
No other reason than to say I've been there, done that  :lol

Been to red rocks (really wanted to see Incubus last night but just not possible given my situation), and was considering doing the gardon of the gods if I did Pikes Peak.  Was tossing around that idea vs. the national park.  And ive been here for 4 days already and another 9 more, but it's all work and no chance to do much besides hopefully sunday.  So just trying to do something, but if it rains, then shit i may end up just working.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3483 on: October 04, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
I've always found it more rewarding to be able to proudly claim that I've never stepped foot in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3484 on: October 05, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
 :rollin but you're a Texas guy, I'm going to say the western front is something you are more accustomed too vs. the New Jersey guy who's friends are simply amazed that I somehow found my way to Wyoming.  It makes for a fun story with the city folk.  Also my coworker (from Queens) loves joking about it.  Had I been on a National Park kick back then, I'd probably have done that instead.

and well, since it's the picture thread

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3485 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »
The TACs vacationed in Wyoming last year! Part if the trip anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »
Rooftop dinner in Richmond,  Virginia last week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: October 09, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
 :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3488 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »
One handsome devil!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3489 on: October 09, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
Totally forgot about this until seeing thread pop back near the top - you make it to Rocky Mountain, cram?

And I want that shirt!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
Totally forgot about this until seeing thread pop back near the top - you make it to Rocky Mountain, cram?

Yup, I'll have some pics soon.  Took so many and haven't uploaded anything yet.  Amazing day in the park, perfect weather and possibly the last it'll be open all year (since it snowed yesterday after a perfect weather weekend).  And as EB mentioned, I most certainly couldn't breathe at 12k feet

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #3491 on: October 10, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
I need to meet up for beers with many of you. I'm hoping for a New England road trip sometime next year for our anniversary, and then beyond that I don't know.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3492 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
I need to meet up for beers with many of you. I'm hoping for a New England road trip sometime next year for our anniversary, and then beyond that I don't know.

I will cart you and your wife's was everywhere!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3493 on: October 10, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
Hurricane Relief Event  October 6, 2017

In my usual spot in the back corner, observing without interfering, unseen and unheard, although there are some reports that I could actually be heard this time, so that's cool.

Last time we were there, there were sound issues and I could barely be heard, if at all.  We fixed that.

Three bands, of which we were the first.  It was loud, people said we sounded great, the place was packed, we raised lots of money for Red Cross Hurricane Relief.  Rock and Roll!!  ♫♫

David (guitar), Angela (vocals), Orbert (keyboards), Jessica (vocals), JT (drums), Jerry (bass), John (guitar)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3494 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
My dog is tiny...

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3495 on: October 11, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
Rooftop dinner in Richmond,  Virginia last week.

*snip*

Going by the Science museum in the background, it looks like this was taken somewhere on the Boulevard? (Richmond native here  :biggrin:)

I haven't posted in this thread in ages so here's me last Christmas

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:01 PM »
Epic picture!

Yes.  I can't remember the name of the restaurant.   So damn old.  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3497 on: October 11, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
Somewhere Black Biff Stadler's pants are dropping.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
Tim, I'm thinking more like a thin Newman controlling the mail.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3499 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
I'm not. :lol