Author Topic: Post Yur Piture Thead v. Surfin' Bird  (Read 445945 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Post Your Picture Thead v. Surfin' Bird
« Reply #3290 on: July 08, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
This is probably a lot smaller. They rent space in 2 hangers at the airport, and then have a small yard off in the corner for the prototypes and stuff being repaired.

My girlfriend had to write a piece on Torrance (a city that could you some help in drawing tourists). This is one of the places we discovered while down there. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3291 on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Winter is coming with Game of Thrones' seventh season... Ser Davos told me so!  :metal

(This dates back from 2014, there was a red carpet event and he was in Italy along with the "Stark sisters". I'm happy to have a picture with Liam Cunningham but I wanted a pic with Sophie and Maisie as well, damn  :lol )

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: July 16, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3293 on: July 16, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
The C-90 Cassette Tape:  Unsung hero of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Come on, folks, let's hear it for the C-90 Cassette!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:57 AM »
:clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3295 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:27 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3297 on: July 19, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
TAC and I at the Iron Maiden show in Mass.

And of course

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:06:32 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3298 on: July 19, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
Glorious :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3299 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
Tim is doing it wrong.

So jelly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3300 on: July 19, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
I'm disappointed that TAC isn't wearing a Promised Land shirt.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3301 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
Tim is doing it wrong.

I wasn't flicking a bird with my 14 y/o standing right there.

And as always Joe, a please to see you again!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3302 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
Yup.  So glad to have a few minutes Tim.  Great show.  They still have so much energy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3303 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:50 AM »
Good selection of shirts?    My kid wants one; apparently the latest thing is "vintage concert shirts" and there's a small subset of kids that are old school and (like me) think that if it didn't come from a show, it's bogus. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »
Tim is doing it wrong.

So he gave your daughter the bird?  :lol

Nice pictures, must have been a blast last night  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3305 on: July 20, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
Good selection of shirts?    My kid wants one; apparently the latest thing is "vintage concert shirts" and there's a small subset of kids that are old school and (like me) think that if it didn't come from a show, it's bogus.
Yup. I won't wear a shirt from a show I didn't attend. This is actually a point of contention around these parts, if I'm not mistaken.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3306 on: July 20, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Tim is doing it wrong.

So he gave your daughter the bird?  :lol

Nice pictures, must have been a blast last night  :metal

It was my son, the the Queen took the pics.

And yes that is a Fear Of The Dark tour shirt. My son wore the No Prayer For New York '91 shirt.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3307 on: July 20, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
"Generic" band shirts are okay with me.  It's the ones from a specific tour that should be authentic.  If you weren't there in 1975 to see them, you don't get to wear the shirt from the '75 tour.  Exception: It's your mom or dad's shirt.  Go ahead, because they've raised you right and they probably don't fit it anymore anyway.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: July 20, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
"Generic" band shirts are okay with me.  It's the ones from a specific tour that should be authentic.  If you weren't there in 1975 to see them, you don't get to wear the shirt from the '75 tour.  Exception: It's your mom or dad's shirt.  Go ahead, because they've raised you right and they probably don't fit it anymore anyway.

I have a Division Bell tour shirt I got a few years ago from some website for like $3 that I wear.  It's huge, so it's more of an around the house shirt.

I am a horrible person.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
I don't really buy or wear band tshirts, but I got to say the whole "if you weren't there it's not cool to wear" idea is dumb.  I understand the premise of it, but seriously, it's a tshirt.  Why get so worked up over fashion. 

The whole music fashion thing kind of bugs me.  I wear tshirts and jeans as my regular attire, but I've gone to concerts after work wearing business casual clothing before and have gotten ripped on.  I really got targetted in a mosh pit before for wearing a button down shirt.  People at ProgPower made jokes at me last year for wearing a button down shirt.  One guy did tell me after a chat "I like you, minus your outfit".   :huh:

If it weren't so hot out, I'd wear a sweater vest to Iron Maiden on Saturday just to piss everyone off.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: July 20, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
My thing is I was 3 years old when that tour happened.

I obviously wasn't there.

Now if I, say, find an Iron Maiden tour shirt from Somewhere Back In Time or something, I'd probably not wear it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3311 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
I don't really buy or wear band tshirts, but I got to say the whole "if you weren't there it's not cool to wear" idea is dumb.  I understand the premise of it, but seriously, it's a tshirt.  Why get so worked up over fashion. 

The whole music fashion thing kind of bugs me.  I wear tshirts and jeans as my regular attire, but I've gone to concerts after work wearing business casual clothing before and have gotten ripped on.  I really got targetted in a mosh pit before for wearing a button down shirt.  People at ProgPower made jokes at me last year for wearing a button down shirt.  One guy did tell me after a chat "I like you, minus your outfit".   :huh:

If it weren't so hot out, I'd wear a sweater vest to Iron Maiden on Saturday just to piss everyone off.
I only buy shirts that are specific to event I traveled to see. In any case, my take is wear all the band stuff you want. But like Orbert said, don't wear a Powerslave shirt if you weren't at the damn show.

And I'm not sure anybody gets worked up about it. Some of us just think it's a lame thing to do. I'm not going to smash a whisky bottle over somebody's head just for wearing a shirt or anything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: July 20, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
You won't, but some people might (as I hinted at with aggression towards me for wearing button down shirts).  It still makes no sense to me.  Especialy if this is now a thing with the younger generation (I'm going off Stadler, I have no idea what's "in" these days) then I would say we should support the decision to wear old school concert shirts even if they weren't there.  I mean, that's supporting the music.  Even if youre one of those celebs who wears an Iron Maiden shirt (was it Miley Cyrus?) that's good publicity for the band even if no one in the industry gives a fuck about the person wearing it.  I'm all for it.  Shit, there's a vintage shop not far from me that sells old concert shirts.  I should grab some.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3313 on: July 20, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
I'm generally with Cram.  I wear clothes if I like the way they look and I connect with them on some level.  If a shirt is for a specific concert I wasn't at, I probably wouldn't buy it because I wouldn't "connect" with it.  But there are exceptions.  Like with the Boston Maiden shirt posted in the Maiden thread, for example, despite being in California and being nowhere near that show at the time it happened, it's a really cool shirt, and it appeals not only to the Maiden fan in me, but also the American history buff in me that is very much into revolutionary war history.  So I'd buy that shirt in a heartbeat. 

With a vintage shirt, it's kinda the same thing.  If it is a shirt that celebrates a landmark time in a band's history, and I connect with celebrating that history, I think it's cool to wear the shirt whether I was there or not.  I'm not trying to represent as "Look at how cool I am!  I was THERE!"  I'm just memorializing something that I think is cool, that's all.  Not really sure why that is a problem for some.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3314 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »
That's fair.  And I admit, a lot of people just like the shirt and will wear the shirt because they like it.  Cool.  But I'm old, and old-fashioned.  There are shows I did attend but didn't/couldn't get a shirt at the time; now all you have to do is order one or buy one at the mall.  That's what bugs me.  I guess it's jealousy; they have something I don't, but wanted.  Ugly.  But life can be ugly sometimes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: July 20, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
Now what's the policy for wearing the fake tour t-shirts they sell in the parking lot afterwards?  :lol  I actually have one of those from the Van Halen tour with Sammy.  Took a lot of my money just to get in the last row of the arena and dished out my last 10 bucks for one of those shirts.  It's terrible too, I don't know why I got it. 

I think the only true tour t-shirt I own is from Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back in Time tour and the reason being was the I wont Heaven Can Wait but didn't own any Maiden shirts so bought one upon arrival (it was the basic tour shirt, not specific to NYC) to wear when I got on stage.  (I love sharing the link to this)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3316 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
 That Boston Maiden shirt was awesome. I would've definitely got one if I could've found one. But I generally don't buy concert shirts anymore, especially black ones. I only have a few left of my old ones anyway, and it's not like I'm going to my kids' school in an Iron maiden shirt anyway.

I looked at the shirts last night, and I was like, when will I ever wear that. Probably in 5 years when Iron Maiden comes back.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3317 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
I looked at the shirts last night, and I was like, when will I ever wear that. Probably in 5 years when Iron Maiden comes back.

90% of the time I'm wearing my concert Ts

Then again, I don't have that work thing to worry about.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:53 AM »

I only buy shirts that are specific to event I traveled to see. In any case, my take is wear all the band stuff you want. But like Orbert said, don't wear a Powerslave shirt if you weren't at the damn show.

And I'm not sure anybody gets worked up about it. Some of us just think it's a lame thing to do. I'm not going to smash a whisky bottle over somebody's head just for wearing a shirt or anything.

I'm in full agreement.  The world isn't going to end if someone does this, but I choose not to.  I see enough shows and have seen enough bands multiple times, that I'm probably not going to buy that Sabbath OzzFest shirt for a festival I didn't go to anyway.  I'll wear the shirt I got in between sets at Mansfield last summer.   It's just preference. 

Once in a blue moon, my kid will ask me to get her a shirt from the shows I go to, if it's a show she'd want to go to and didn't for whatever reason (she lives half time with her mom and goes to boarding school) so I can rationalize it.  She'd actually LIKE to go to Maiden with me this weekend (she's a huge fan of stage sets and stuff and I've played her Live After Death and Raising Hell, and she wants to get her some of that) but she's away, so I'll get her a shirt and it'll be our thing. 

Also lame?  Band members wearing their own band (current tour) shirts on stage.  I find that crass.    I'll give a pass to a past tour shirt, or another band, but I think it's a little weak to wear your own merch to your own show. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3319 on: July 21, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Also lame?  Band members wearing their own band (current tour) shirts on stage.  I find that crass.    I'll give a pass to a past tour shirt, or another band, but I think it's a little weak to wear your own merch to your own show.

Why?  Presenting your new record, your custom made guitar, amp, drum sticks whatever is okay but not your merchandise? That's simply advertizing.

Or they forgot to pack enough shirts and had to rely on their merchandise.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Why?  Presenting your new record, your custom made guitar, amp, drum sticks whatever is okay but not your merchandise? That's simply advertizing.

Or they forgot to pack enough shirts and had to rely on their merchandise.  ;D

Didn't say all that other stuff was okay. :)   (Though I probably would, since it's how they make their art).   I can't argue with your logic, it just feels wrong to me. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3321 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »
Danny Carey does it right. My understanding is that a new, local basketball jersey is part of Tool's hospitably rider for each show, so he wears that on stage and amasses a helluva collection in the process.

I wonder if Maynard demands a fresh leather g-string in each town.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3322 on: July 21, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
But I generally don't buy concert shirts anymore, especially black ones. I only have a few left of my old ones anyway, and it's not like I'm going to my kids' school in an Iron maiden shirt anyway.

I have a love-hate relationship with band shirts. I used to buy one all the time from almost every gig I went to. That got pricey, and I stopped for many years. Then I started buying again, but was really picky about which band. Now, over the past couple years, I've resisted (I bought a couple GnR shirts). What I am finding that I prefer is simply getting a generic band shirt at Target or Hot Topic or something, if I really want to fly the flag of some of the classic hard rock/metal bands I love.

The shirts are often softer (the whole Gilden or Hanes heavy t-shirt thing is old, and I want nothing to do with it), cheaper, and I'm not adverse to wearing them all the time (as opposed to concert shirts with the dates on the back, which I tend to want to wear sparingly to preserve). So, that's pretty much the route I've gone. I'll probably pick up a Dream Theater shirt this fall/winter for I&W, but I know me -- I won't wear it much. But generally, I'll grab something at Target, Kohl's or Hot Topic if I'm really wanting a shirt with a classic band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3323 on: July 21, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »

I wonder if Maynard demands a fresh leather g-string in each town.

Would be more interesting if he demanded a used one...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3324 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
I'll just say, I don't get the arbitrary rules about who can/should where what and in what circumstance.  I don't care if you are a fan, a band member, or just Joe-on-the-street.  If there's nothing offensive or inappropriate about it, wear what you want. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."