Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 137805 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #560 on: October 28, 2014, 05:23:17 AM »
I'm still undecided.   It's Nolan, so I'm sure I'll see it.   But I have yet to see a preview of that movie that didn't bore me to tears.   Everyone thought Gravity was going to be so fantastic, and other than the amazing visuals, that movie was pretty much a dud. 

I'm skeptically hopeful.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:33 AM »
I'm still undecided.   It's Nolan, so I'm sure I'll see it.   But I have yet to see a preview of that movie that didn't bore me to tears.   Everyone thought Gravity was going to be so fantastic, and other than the amazing visuals, that movie was pretty much a dud. 

I'm skeptically hopeful.

The first trailer emphasized way too much on Murphy's Law. That kind of irked me. The following trailers got me super excited. However, I still remain skeptical about how good the movie will be. There are a lot of questions to be answered and not a lot of time to answer them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:40:18 AM by Chino »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #562 on: October 28, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »

I'm skeptically hopeful.

The first trailer emphasized way too much on Murphy's Law. That kind of irked me. The following trailers got me super excited. However, I still remain skeptical about how good the movie will be. There are a lot of answers to be answered and not a lot of time to answer them.

That'd be the second trailer, actually. The first was mostly just a collection of historical videos with Matthew McConaughey narrating and had just a couple of shots from the film squeezed in there. My personal favorite trailer for the film is actually the one that most people don't know about; it's been showing at some IMAX theaters lately, but it hasn't been released online officially, with only a bootleg of it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InD7EE2REMw

I love how it takes the concept of the original trailer and expands on it by including more footage from the actual film and then ending it all with a minute's worth of incredible space footage. Plus it seems to include some of Hans Zimmer's score for the film and it's really different from his previous work with Nolan. Full of church organs and stuff.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: October 28, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
This is what I see happening :

The space crew don't get back to earth in time - but they find a way to go back thru a wormhole to earth in the past and prevent earth from being ravaged in the first place.

I don't see Nolan doing a really bummer ending where they fail to save earth and everyone dies etc :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: October 28, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
Ooh yeah and I REALLY DO NOT WANT another Inception or Dark Knight Rises ending where it's like

??? is that real or not ?!

That's been done too often now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #565 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
Didn't get any such impression from Dark Knight Rises  ???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »
Didn't get any such impression from Dark Knight Rises  ???

It didn't get as much as Inception - but the ending with Bruce, Selena and Alfred in the cafe - people were torn over whether that was real or whether it was Alfred's fantasy.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
Watched Edge of Tomorrow with the kids the other night.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was nicely paced and I really enjoyed the lead actors performances (and Bill Paxton as support - but you can't go wrong with Bill Paxton). Tom Cruise is getting on but can still put in more than convincing performances in action movies. I like him though so I am biased.

The plot is complex enough to stay interesting without being to over bearing. The humour keeps the movie bouncing along nicely.

It's kind off Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day which I am more than ok with.

Great move - highly recommended.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:49:14 AM by puppyonacid »
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
Ooh yeah and I REALLY DO NOT WANT another Inception or Dark Knight Rises ending where it's like

??? is that real or not ?!

That's been done too often now.

That's just the audience being stupid, at least in regards to TDKR. It's incredibly clear what happens: Bruce fakes his death, moves to Europe with Selena and retires as Batman, having finally found his inner peace and the ability to move on. Blake inherits the Bat Cave and begins his own odyssey to eventually become the next Batman. The End.

Also, Inception is pretty damn clear too. Cobb is almost definitely awake, but it doesn't matter anymore if he is or not. Much like Bruce in TDKR, he's moved on from his sorrow.

As for Interstellar, I hear its ending is apparently a legitimate mind-bender. I'll give my thoughts on it if I get to see it early on Saturday.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
Apart from Memento, Inception and The Prestige, I don't think Nolan has any other ambiguous endings to his movies. And that's only 3 out of 8 movies he has done, so I think his status of being a twist-director is a bit blown out of proportions. With that said, he does those endings so well, and Interstellar is a Sci-Fi movie so I would expect a kind of artsy ending you might need to watch more than once to fully appreciate or understand.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »
Just watched Frank. It was awesome. Interesting seeing Fassbender in a comedic role, but he pulled it off amazingly even if you couldn't see his face. Definitely one of the greatest actors out there. Imagining the fact it was him behind that head performing his "Most Likable Song Ever" is just amazing. :rollin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:47:30 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #571 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »
Apart from Memento, Inception and The Prestige, I don't think Nolan has any other ambiguous endings to his movies.

What's ambiguous about the Prestige ending? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just genuinely curious because I never thought there were multiple explanations for the ending. Then again, I always thought the explanation by Teddy at the end of Memento was true and only considered other possibilities after I started reading about them on the internet, so I certainly could have missed something.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: October 29, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »
Apart from Memento, Inception and The Prestige, I don't think Nolan has any other ambiguous endings to his movies.

What's ambiguous about the Prestige ending? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just genuinely curious because I never thought there were multiple explanations for the ending. Then again, I always thought the explanation by Teddy at the end of Memento was true and only considered other possibilities after I started reading about them on the internet, so I certainly could have missed something.

I would say Prestige is the least ambiguous out of the three, but while I did not have any problems with it myself, I have watched it with 2-3 other people who all needed to re-watch the movie again to understand the last few twists at the end. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #573 on: October 30, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
I actually watched Memento for the first time the other day. I'm amazed it took me this long to get around to watching it, as I've been a fan of Nolan's work for years. :lol Anywho, while the cinematography wasn't as great as later Nolan films, I think that might be his best directed film to date. It's almost definitely his best edited film.

The ending to Memento isn't necessarily ambiguous, I think. It does explain the whole movie. The trick with it, I think, is that it gets you thinking more about Leonard and what all he might have done prior to the film and what he might do after it too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #574 on: October 30, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
I still haven't seen it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #575 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »
I still haven't seen it.

If I'm a fanboy about any film, it's probably this (and maybe Fight Club). Go watch it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »
While Nolan has improved visually with each movie and become a better director, I think Memento remains my favorite mostly by how amazing the script is. While movies like Inception and even The Prestige can raise certain questions about plotholes (not that I mind), Memento is the one movie where I personally can't find a flaw. It's incredibly well-written and well directed, and really is a gem.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #577 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »
While Nolan has improved visually with each movie and become a better director, I think Memento remains my favorite mostly by how amazing the script is. While movies like Inception and even The Prestige can raise certain questions about plotholes (not that I mind), Memento is the one movie where I personally can't find a flaw. It's incredibly well-written and well directed, and really is a gem.

On top of that, I think Guy Pearce probably gave the best lead performance in any of Nolan's films. Or at least, the best out of the ones that I've seen. He does an incredible job in Memento.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Funny Games gets better every time I see it. :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »

On top of that, I think Guy Pearce probably gave the best lead performance in any of Nolan's films. Or at least, the best out of the ones that I've seen. He does an incredible job in Memento.

Better than Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale in The Prestige ?

Better than David Bowie ? :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »

I'm gonna have to agree, Guy Pearce is amazing in Memento. I think overall, he is one of those actors who doesn't get enough credit, and apart from Memento he has been in a few other great movies as well. He is incredibly convincing as the guy who can't remember much but tries to piece the puzzle together.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
Saw Fury last night .. good movie, good performances it is a war movie so at times a little hard to watch...worth seeing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #582 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
While Nolan has improved visually with each movie and become a better director, I think Memento remains my favorite mostly by how amazing the script is.

One of his best movies. Personally, i love it :heart

I'm gonna have to agree, Guy Pearce is amazing in Memento. I think overall, he is one of those actors who doesn't get enough credit, and apart from Memento he has been in a few other great movies as well. He is incredibly convincing as the guy who can't remember much but tries to piece the puzzle together.

Exactly. You just look at his face and think: "Yeah, this guy doesn't have a clue about what's happening" :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
I love how he starts out as the protagonist and as the film develops you find out he's just stolen everything  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #584 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
I love how he starts out as the protagonist and as the film develops you find out he's just stolen everything  :lol

Shhhh... Some people haven't seen the movie yet! :lol

But yeah, it was insane to see the character develop in-reverse over the course of the film. Same with the rest of the cast, actually.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
Finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood. Damn, it's rare a movie keeps me that entertained throughout its entirety, especially one of that length. Amazing stuff.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #586 on: October 31, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »
Finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood. Damn, it's rare a movie keeps me that entertained throughout its entirety, especially one of that length. Amazing stuff.

Funny you should mention that! I just started watching it late last night. I didn't finish it, but I plan to do so over the weekend. But yeah, it looks absolutely incredible.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
Not very re-watchable, since it's so depressing. But still a very good movie.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #588 on: November 01, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
On the Memento DVD their is an easter egg where you can actually watch the movie in chronological order.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Did that a while back, very interesting and a fun angle on the movie. It flows quite differently that way. Not only backwards, but different.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: November 01, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I haven't watched it that way myself, because personally I feel the beginning (or in the case of the movie, the end) really is the key. Once you get to that small twist, or rather event that happens, it really affects the rest of the movie and you will look at it differently. Watching the movie chronologically, I'm afraid it will lose that special quality, because you know the truth from the start, and everything else just plays out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: November 01, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
Yeah I feel like the movie would go from seeing it through the eyes of Leonard to just being a casual observer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #592 on: November 01, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Just came home from St. Vincent.    Please just hand Bill Murray the Oscar right now...    The framework of the story is a pretty old idea, but this is a perfect example of taking an old idea, approaching it from a fresh and modern angle, then surround it with talent.   The writing is excellent, and all the performances were brilliant as well.   Melissa McCarthy really impressed me in her role as well.   I think she's been playing too many roles that under-utilize how talented she is.

While I was at it, I also saw a couple a trailers that I got excited for:

A new Johnny Depp movie without Tim Burton - Mortdecai 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh6nYOhItOM

And a new Tim Burton movie without Johnny Depp - Big Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xD9uTlh5hI

If these movies are as good as their trailers suggest...I don't think these two should ever work together again... They are just better when they're not together.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #593 on: November 01, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
I just got home from seeing Nightcrawler and the North Carolina state premiere for Interstellar back-to-back. Both films were easily the best two I've seen this year.

And jammindude, while I haven't seen St. Vincent myself, I'd hold off on definitely giving Murray the Oscar until you've seen Nightcrawler. Jake Gyllenhaal was disturbingly terrific in that film. I was actually reminded quite a bit of Robert De Niro's performance in Taxi Driver. I'm sure there are some other great movies that came out this year or will come out later that will probably challenge Murray on the Oscar too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »

If these movies are as good as their trailers suggest...I don't think these two should ever work together again... They are just better when they're not together.

Neither has made a decent film in a very long time.