Author Topic: The Best Way to Listen to SFAM...  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

The Best Way to Listen to SFAM...
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
...is with your eyes closed. Close your eyes when the hypnotherapist says so, and don't open them until the instruction at the beginning of Finally Free. Also, if possible, listen with the lights turned off. Has anyone actually done this?
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: The Best Way to Listen to SFAM...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »
Oh hell yeah. Not only that, but I listened to it in such a way on Vinyl. I could've met Nicholas' fate at the end, and it would've been good.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
When I lived on my own on my last house for a few months ( nobody else was renting the other rooms ) -

- I totally put on Black Clouds & Silver Linings on the stereo downstairs and listened to the entire thing with the lights out at night.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »
In college, my friends and I would listen while we drank and read through the lyrics and the song summaries on wikipedia while listening to understand what was going on.  Everyone who did this was always in shock of how awesome the story and album where although most of them never got into Dream Theater or were into metal/progressive music, but always thought the experience was amazing.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »
...is with your eyes closed. Close your eyes when the hypnotherapist says so, and don't open them until the instruction at the beginning of Finally Free. Also, if possible, listen with the lights turned off. Has anyone actually done this?

This is exactly how I listened to the album my very first time. It was a life changing experience.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
This is one of the few rock albums where I turn the bass up.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
How did Victoria die anyway?

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
Edward shot her.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »
Maybe Julian shot her!

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
No, it's pretty definitive. Edward shot her and then killed Julian too. Then he faked a suicide note and put it on Julian's body and pretended to be a witness.

The opening verse of Finally Free, credited to Edward, confirms all this:

"Sole survivor
No witness to the crime
I must act fast to cover up
I think that there's still time"
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
What if the "cover up" part is related to Edward killing Julian, not to Edward killing Victoria?

Ok, ok, I think you are right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
In fact, I did this twice. The first time it was an amazing experience, but the second time I did this I was too tired after a busy working day, so I fell asleep during Through Her Eyes.  :lol
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:34:02 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Julian and Victoria were married but Julian wouldn't stop gambling, snorting, and drinking, so she sought Edwards comfort and pork. Then Julian reformed and she secretly got back together with him, but Edward found them and killed them. He made Julian out to be the killer and himself out to be the witness.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Julian and Victoria were married but Julian wouldn't stop gambling, snorting, and drinking, so she sought Edwards comfort and pork. Then Julian reformed and she secretly got back together with him, but Edward found them and killed them. He made Julian out to be the killer and himself out to be the witness.
Televisa presenta
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »

...is with my personal remix of the Bottrill mixes from The Making Of SFAM, mixed in with bits from the final mix of the album by Shirley, creating a longer and more complete version of the album, with a longer Intro/Regression, the opening lyrics to "Fatal Tragedy", the longer version of "Through Her Eyes", and the complete ending to "Finally Free" (with the final mix's ending mixed afterwards). Paste it all together, cut into 9 scenes, and BOOM...the only way I listen to SFAM now. There's no going back to any other version.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »
Listened to it while bowling yesterday afternoon. It was awesome!

Until I got to TDOE and it threw my groove off.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

...is with my personal remix of the Bottrill mixes from The Making Of SFAM, mixed in with bits from the final mix of the album by Shirley, creating a longer and more complete version of the album, with a longer Intro/Regression, the opening lyrics to "Fatal Tragedy", the longer version of "Through Her Eyes", and the complete ending to "Finally Free" (with the final mix's ending mixed afterwards). Paste it all together, cut into 9 scenes, and BOOM...the only way I listen to SFAM now. There's no going back to any other version.

-Marc.

Where/how can I get said version? How do I go about obtaining these missing parts?

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
IMO, with earplugs in. I don't like it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »

We are not a match. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »

Yeah. I'm very much the forum outcast, aren't I!
 :sad:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »

Don't worry. I was like you once but with some rehabilitation and a couple minor to major surgeries... I changed. 

You can too.

The first step is admitting you want to change.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »

The first step is to close your eyes, and begin to relax........
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »
I generally listen to SFAM when I'm at work, or when I'm driving... I don't know if this method would be very safe for me.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »

Don't worry. I was like you once but with some rehabilitation and a couple minor to major surgeries... I changed. 

You can too.

Change is bad. I'm fine with being alone, rocking back and forth in the corner

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 06:29:39 AM »
Let Victoria in to your heart...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »
Let Victoria in to your heart...
I don't have a heart

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
gtfo

you fucking zombie

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »

-Marc.

Where/how can I get said version? How do I go about obtaining these missing parts?

I'd still like to know what this is, btw  :lol

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
gtfo

you fucking zombie
I don't understand. If I translate that, what I get is: you sexing zombie.
People using words wrong makes me feel nothing. That is largely because I'm a zombie. However, I'm not a sexing zombie.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »

-Marc.

I'd still like to know what this is, btw  :lol

Go to ytsejamrecords and you'll find The Making Of Scenes From A Memory. It's a 2-disc set, and the second disc is the entire David Bottrill mixes of the album, the original mixes to be precise. Shirley came in later and did some remixes, most of which appear on the final released album.

The original mix had some parts that were mixed out, like an opening scene that included more before/with "Regression", a different mix/ending of "Through Her Eyes", etc. etc. All I did was take those tracks from TMOSFAM and made my own album by splicing in parts from the final album (spoken lines at the end of "Fatal Tragedy", the closing scene after "Finally Free", the opening dialogue in "Finally Free") with the Bottrill mixes, made my own version of "Regression" with the "Opening Scene" and Bottrill's "Regression". Here's what my final track list looks like:

1. Scene One - Regression (2:26)
2. Scene Two - Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu (8:44)
3. Scene Three - Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (8:12)
4. Scene Four - Beyond This Life (11:22)
5. Scene Five - Through Her Eyes (6:03)
6. Scene Six - Home (12:56)
7. Scene Seven - The Dance Of Eternity/One Last Time (10:00)
8. Scene Eight - The Spirit Carries On (6:39)
9. Scene Nine - Finally Free (12:42)
Total - 79:04

The only version of the album I ever listen to anymore, my own personal version! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
Marc, is there any album in your collection for which you don't have a personal remix?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
Marc, is there any album in your collection for which you don't have a personal remix?

LOL It's true that I do play around with a lot of track lists and song orders, particularly albums with split tracks (DT's own SC is a good case) or bonus tracks that were released later on/separately (PT's FOABP + NR, for example), but playing with albums is a small exception. This one just happened because of the different mixes made available and I just enjoyed hearing everything in the original mix, but I liked the final mix too, so I made my own that gave me the best of both worlds!

-Marc.