Author Topic: LTE and DT question  (Read 1257 times)

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
LTE and DT question
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »
i was wandering... i love DT and im still in the process of discovering them ( well still gotta discover ACOS, I&W and SFAM).
i wanted to take a little time off and discover LTE im sure they worth a shot.
my question is if the music sounds like DT or even parts that are simillar, or its different style, idea etc...?
im afraid to get sick of too much of the same music style and i want to refresh. what do you think?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: LTE and DT question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
It's kinda like an instrumental DT. Same sort of technical virtuosity combined with heavy riffs and such. It's not a carbon copy though and there are lots of things about it that are completely different from what DT does. Both albums are well worth checking out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
I don't think that LTE sounds like DT at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Pretty much.  I have always classed them as two seperate outfits.  Even though the memebrs are the same, the music is really a long way apart.  When I listen to DT nothing reminds me of LTE and vice versa.

If you like DT, there is no reason not to check out LTE.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »

That. SFAM would have the closest sounding stuff, since it was the first DT album with JR after the LTE stuff, but even then, LTE is very different, and it's not a repeat of DT.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »

That. SFAM would have the closest sounding stuff, since it was the first DT album with JR after the LTE stuff, but even then, LTE is very different, and it's not a repeat of DT.

This was what I was going to say...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LTE3

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Music is totally different, go get all of it you will be amazed. LTE 2 is the best IMHO, Acid Rain alone is amazing. Enjoy.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:04 AM »
While DT is always carefully and precisely composed, LTE is much looser, jam-like and improvisational at times. Originally, they wanted the entire first album to be spontaneous jamming, but the label insisted that they compose some of it. "Thee Minute Warning" is a jam and has that title because Tony Levin said he would leave the studio if the don't stop composing and start jamming out within 3 minutes.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
Just FYI, while LTE and LTE2 are absolutely stellar, the two "Liquid Trio Experiment" albums are total duds.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »
Well, there are some similarities obviously because LTE was formed by 3 members of DT.  Just because the music is different doesn't mean that certain passages may not be reminiscant of something that sounds DTish.  In other words, if you like the sound of DT's music, the chances of you liking LTE are pretty good.   ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Knguro

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
i was wandering... i love DT and im still in the process of discovering them ( well still gotta discover ACOS, I&W and SFAM).
i wanted to take a little time off and discover LTE im sure they worth a shot.
my question is if the music sounds like DT or even parts that are simillar, or its different style, idea etc...?
im afraid to get sick of too much of the same music style and i want to refresh. what do you think?

HOLY SHIT! You are missing basics on DT, you will love those 3

And LTE is more  "E" than DT while DT is more like a "D".

Sounds like math. I love it.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
The way I think of it is DT when they're not taking themselves seriously at all, just jamming for the fun of it.