Author Topic: Symphony X: Iconoclast (2011)  (Read 20511 times)

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Symphony X: The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1995)
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »
My favourite album by SX and the one album that got me hooked on their music. Sea Of Lies was the first song I heard from the album. I just loved their combination of classical influences with Metal without having an orchestra in the background.

Can't count the number of times I listened to The Accolade and the title track, epic on so many levels. Great melodies, atmospheric, epic, virtuosic, ethereal, epic, melodic just everything I love about this band is presented on this album. Love it and still do!

I wish the band would go back and bring back their neo-classical side and tone down the metal elements just a tiny bit but that's another topic.

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. The Accolade
3. Sea Of Lies
4. Of Sins and Shadows
5. Candlelight Fantasia
6. Out Of The Ashes
7. Pharaoh
8. The Eyes Of Medusa
9. The Witching Hour

Looking up to the heavens
I can see what I left behind
Beneath the stars, moon and
warm sun
And all I know,
is my paradise has begun...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:29:53 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
This album is pretty great... pretty great, is that even a thing? Well, this album is it. The highlights of the album for me are the shorter songs like Out of the ashes, The Eyes of medusa and Of sins and shadows, although the closer is a gorgeous ballad. The title track is excellent, but not as impressive as The Odyssey. The only song that doesn't do it for me is The Accolade - it's been six years since I first heard it, and still nothing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
I had a chance to spin this a few times yesterday at work but I'm not giving it a proper listen since my attention is divided. My impressions were that I like it better than the previous albums but I've yet to have that jaw-dropping moment. The only thing that did jump out at me was a negative impression of the harpsichord patch on the keyboards. I don't dig it.

...and I'm still not feeling the love for Allen's vocals. I may come around to it though--consider that I didn't really enjoy JLB's vocals for years.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
I'm almost embarrassed by my how I discovered SX story  :blush

I heard about them in the mid 1990's, CD's were pretty much impossible to get in AU.
The only place was a Sydney metal store (still going BTW) had Japanese imports at $40 plus.
So I took the plunge and bought tDWoT and totally hated it, I can't remember why either.
Through the old Ytsejam mailing list I put it up for trade.
The guy who I traded with turned out to be an awesome guy and one of my best overseas mates.

So I still picked up TiO Japanese import $45, still have it, first pressing with postcards of all 4 SX album covers and a sticker.
That was what got me hooked on SX and to this day remains my fave from them.
Of course I realized my error with tDWoT and is now a close 2nd to TiO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
After listening to this album again I realized that I don't hate The Witching Hour as much as I used to. The chorus still sucks, but it has some awesome riffage. The rest of the album has stayed the same. Awesome.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2014, 05:12:22 AM »
After listening to this album again I realized that I don't hate The Witching Hour as much as I used to. The chorus still sucks, but it has some awesome riffage. The rest of the album has stayed the same. Awesome.
Yeah, that chorus is very underwhelming, but the rest of the song is pretty awesome.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
DWOT is an awesome album. It can be a lot to take though. I know I frequently have trouble making it to the title track, let alone all the way through it. Also, Candlelight Fantasia is an awesome song, but it feels pretty anticlimactic as a closer to such an epic album. I kind of wish they flipped the order to give it more of an "Along for the Ride + Illumination Theory" feel.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Also, Candlelight Fantasia is an awesome song, but it feels pretty anticlimactic as a closer to such an epic album. I kind of wish they flipped the order to give it more of an "Along for the Ride + Illumination Theory" feel.

I disagree; the fade out of CF is one of the best album endings I have ever heard. It is up there with LtL. The end of the title track brings closure to the song, but feels incomplete as a way to end the record.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
I feel that a lot of 20 minute epics don't really provide proper closure to an album. It's good to follow it up with a shorter softer track to sorta act as an "ending credits" piece. Candlelight Fantasia is great for that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
the fade out of CF is one of the best album endings I have ever heard.

It's good to follow it up with a shorter softer track to sorta act as an "ending credits" piece. Candlelight Fantasia is great for that.

Agree with both of these.  And not just as an ending to the album, it is simply a great song on its own.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Write-up for Twilight in Olympus tomorrow.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2014, 05:28:30 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-to-begin-recording-new-album-this-week/

I was gonna put this in the official thread but it seems to be locked, so apologies but, yeehaa!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-to-begin-recording-new-album-this-week/

I was gonna put this in the official thread but it seems to be locked, so apologies but, yeehaa!!
That's how long it's been since we had something about them to discuss. The thread got auto-locked due to lack of activity (right?). :lol

Good news though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2014, 05:35:07 AM »

That's how long it's been since we had something about them to discuss. The thread got auto-locked due to lack of activity (right?). :lol

Good news though.

I just checked, the last post was from myself on the 27th of Feb 2013!!  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2014, 05:40:57 AM »
This is great news!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Symphony X: Twilight in Olympus (1998)
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:30 AM »
Only one year passed after the release of The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and in 1998, Symphony X followed up their to-date biggest hit with...

Twilight in Olympus (1998)

01. Smoke and Mirrors (6:08)
02. Church of the Machine (8:57)
03. Sonata (1:25)
04. In the Dragon's Den (3:58)
05. Through the Looking Glass (13:06)
06. The Relic (5:03)
07. Orion - The Hunter (6:56)
08. Lady of the Snow (7:07)

This album would be no easy album to make. Drummer Jason Rullo left prior to the recording of this album due to what Michael Romeo describes as "personal problems", with both the band and Rullo himself being dissatisfied with the respective other party, leaving the band to record Twilight with drummer Thomas Walling, but things didn't really work out with him either. According to Romeo, he refused to make commitments to the band and soon grew disinterested in the kind of music that Symphony X was making. After Twilight, he left the band again, and Jason Rullo returned behind the drumkit, making this album the only Symphony X album without Jason Rullo on the drums.

This album also credits Michael Pinella with "knives and chainsaw juggling", a joking reference to an injury that Pinella had obtained during some house work, when he was being careless with a butter knife. Much to the band members relief - who had no idea of what had occured until Pinella came into the studio with a bandaged hand - he recovered fully and was able to record all the keyboard parts on the album with little difficulty. They decided to reference this almost-tragedy with some cheeky liner-notes.

Anyway, let's talk music. "Smoke and Mirrors" opens in what might be most neoclassical shredding that Symphony X have ever recorded - a brilliant guitar/harpsichord unison, before exploding into a furious riff. Both the verses and the chorus are full of energy and always a joy to listen to - it's not hard to see why this is the song that they choose to play live when representing this album. Funnily enough, it was also the first Symphony X song that I heard (after "Taunting the Notorious", but that didn't leave much of an impression), even before my first Dream Theater song, and unlike with Dream Theater, it was love at first listen, making Symphony X the first progressive band that I really got into. To this day, "Smoke and Mirrors" remains one of my favourite songs by the band. I especially love the bridge section based on Bach's "Kyrie eleison" from the Mass in B Minor, one of my favourite Bach compositions.

"Church of the Machine" is very very good for most of its run, it's just that the outro feels very weird to me, very abrupt, without a real transition into the next track. The rest is great - that chorus is one of the most infectious things that Symphony X have ever written and the instrumental section is out of this world. Especially lauded should be Pinella's piano playing on this song, it's some of his best, and not even in a ballad!

"Sonata" is a short segue, based on Ludwig van Beethoven's "Pathetique", and it's a nice song in the context of the album, albeit not one that I'd listen to outside the album. It mainly works the way it works in the album's context because of the contrast of the soothing melodies of this one and...

...the aggressiveness of the follow-up "In the Dragon's Den". Everything is dialled up a notch here, speed-wise, and the solo-section is ridiculous. The verses are a little forgettable, but a great chorus more than makes up for that. This song also features some smoking bass playing and even a short bass solo. And yes, Thomas Miller is still as brilliant as on the three previous songs.

"Through the Looking Glass" is this album's long-track, clocking in a little of 13 minutes. It's divided into three parts, though unlike the band's other multi-part songs, the parts here don't have their own titles, they're just Part I, Part II and Part III. This song shows Russell Allen at his absolute best - his first vocal parts is amazing, so much power and emotion in his voice. Lyrically, this song is based on Lewis Carroll's book of the same name, and the lyrics, while not often Symphony X's strong suite, are pretty damn awesome in their own right on this song. The music, as with most Symphony X epics, is godly, being just straight-forward enough to be catchy and to not bore people, and yet just out-there enough to remain interesting with repeated listens.

"The Relic" is another example of a typical, straight-forward Symphony X being done with great results. Awesome riffing, and infectious chorus and a jaw-dropping solo section, this song has, in a nut-shell, everything makes Symphony X awesome. It's not particularly unique among their catalogue, but certainly a very good example of their sound. It's also one of two songs on this album that have yet to be played live, something that I don't really understand, 'cause I'm sure that would absolutely slay live.

"Orion - The Hunter" is the other song on the album that has yet to be performed live, and while I can understand that, it's still a kick-ass song. The opening riff is one of my favourites and both the verse and chorus melodies are some of Symphony X's most unusual. without ever feeling awkward or unfitting. If I had to name one song on this album that I never see mentioned, despite being completely awesome, it'd be this one. One of the band's most underrated tracks, surely. And that solo section and the way it leads into the intro riff again is nothing short of pure brilliance.

"Lady of the Snow" is one of the band's most unique songs, featuring the use of Oriental scales and the use of a sitar in the intro. The lyrics are based on the Japanese legend of the snow spirit Yuki-onna, a supernatural being that would lure travellers to their death in the snow. Allen's performance on this song is amazing, similarly to his work on "Candlelight Fantasia". In fact, I often see this song compared with The Divine Wings of Tragedy's closer, and I might be in the minority, but I think that "Lady of the Snow" is the superior song of the two. One of my favourite closers ever, and definitely a top-tier Symphony X ballad.

All in all, I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a huge fan of this album. More, it's my favourite Symphony X album. There are several factors that contribute to this, I think. One is that it opens with my first real progressive song that I loved, so the opening of the album takes me back to my discovery what I would now consider one of my favourite genres. Another thing is how varied this album is - you have the standard straight-forward songs like "In the Dragon's Den" and "Smoke and Mirrors", but you also have uniquely structured songs like "Through the Looking Glass", the Oriental touches in "Lady of the Snow" or syncopated riffing of "Orion - The Hunter", all of which come together to make this an incredibly varied album. And third, this album is really quite short, by Symphony X standards, at least, clocking in at 52 minutes, and while few Symphony X albums are too long in my opinion, this album is as concise and to the point as they ever got, with astounding results.

I already said that the making of the album wasn't the easiest, and the same applied for the tour. During the tour, bassist Thomas Miller started to have troubles with touring, exhibiting symptons of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, regular sickness and anxiety attacks. Michael Romeo also adds that Miller appeared to become more and more religious over the tour and more and more withdrawn from his bandmates. During the tour, Thomas Miller left Symphony X and was replaced with Andy DeLuca, who left before they could even begin to record their next album. Jason Rullo did return after the tour, but I do think that Miller's absence is felt a lot stronger in current Symphony X than Rullo's ever was. But more on those line-up changes when we discuss the next album.

1. Through the Looking Glass
2. Lady of the Snow
3. Smoke and Mirrors
4. Orion - The Hunter
5. Church of the Machine
6. The Relic
7. In the Dragon's Den
8. Sonata
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »
Another great album , but IMO doesn't quite reach the heights of DWOT - the production lacks it's killer punch too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
I adore this album, probably even more than DWOT. As said above, the production is a little thin, but I love the songs.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
Twilight was my first SX album and for that, it holds a special place in my heart. Both this one and Divine Wings would have been absolutely blissful with Paradise Lost's production.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
Very underrated, and in my humble opinion, essential album in their devellopement.

Love Through the Looking glass, Smoke and mirrors, and Lady of the snow.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
Twilight was my first SX album and for that, it holds a special place in my heart. Both this one and Divine Wings would have been absolutely blissful with Paradise Lost's production.

Couldn't disagree more. Paradise Lost's sound quality is my second to last favourite, only the self-titled's production ranks lower for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Smoke and Mirrors was one of the first Symphony X songs I ever heard as it was available for download on their website along with several others, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't like the chorus at the time. I don't mind it now, and the first 4 songs are great, but after Looking Glass, things go south. Gonna listen to see if my opinion changed at all.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
Fucking finally! I really hope it has more of the pre-Paradise Lost sound but with a more fresh spin to it. And please, let Allen actually sing this time! It's a shame that we have to go to side gigs like Star One to see him at his best nowadays.

Twilight in Olympus was my first album with SX and it blew me away right from the start and hasn't really become any worse over the years. It's truly an outstanding piece of music.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Brilliant album, love it!

Great write up again Scorp

Offline Mladen

« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
I named this album one of my all time favorites in a top 50 I did about a year ago - it was probably in my top 20. Then today, for whatever reason, I doubted it for a second and thought whether this album is really that good. So I just gave it a spin, and what the hell was I thinking? It's perfect.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
I adore this album, probably even more than DWOT. As said above, the production is a little thin, but I love the songs.

For some reason the sub-par production never really hurt their music. When the production got 'professional' on PL and Iconoclast, they instead screwed up on the mastering.. Old SymX is more listenable to my ears, maybe due to the difference in style though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
Great album. Allen singing decent melodies and strong hooks. Best SX album so far.
Production wise i've heard far worse but early SX always sounded like something was missing. Latter day SX sounds like something should be taken out. Did Romeo play Strats in those days? They never sound great for metal.

I dig the Yngwie vibe of early SX though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
The production has never been an issue for me, sounded great back in the day and still sound good when I played it on the weekend.
My version is a Japanese first pressing, in over-sized slipcase, with postcards and a sticker. Cost me $45 back in 1998, but well worth it.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
This is also my favorite SX album. It and PL are the only SX albums in which I adore every track. There is not a single weak moment on the entire record. Particular highlights are the entirety of the first two, the aggressive chorus of Looking Glass, and Orion's prechorus. Love this album.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
This is a really great album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Oops.  Missed this one.  I think this is the old one that I have.  Listened a couple of times, and shelved it.  But at least we have finally gotten to a SX album that I actually have.  More to say when we get to V.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2014, 02:08:12 AM »
TIO is a weird one for me, I loved it when I first got it, but now I don't really listen to it at all anymore. I never got into Through The Looking Glass, just a little too cheesy imo, even for Symphony X standards. In The Dragon's Den however is my favourite song on here and one of my favourite straightforward SX songs.

...and I'm still not feeling the love for Allen's vocals. I may come around to it though--consider that I didn't really enjoy JLB's vocals for years.

Just wait till you hear The Odyssey :2metal:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
TIO is a weird one for me, I loved it when I first got it, but now I don't really listen to it at all anymore.

This is true for me too, actually. Everything up to Through the Looking Glass is perfection, then it kinda drops off after that. My favorite of the final three is The Hunter, but the chorus to that is identical to Fallen and I'd much rather just listen to that.

As a complete album though it's a lot of fun to listen to and very to the point. They're really starting to show their strengths here.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
I can't recall how familiar Hunter and Fallen are, but I remember reading that V was supposed to be one big song for a second disc on TiO but that didn't work out because of the lable, much like ACOS was supposed to be on I&W and Metropolis 2 on FII.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »
I can't recall how familiar Hunter and Fallen are, but I remember reading that V was supposed to be one big song for a second disc on TiO but that didn't work out because of the lable, much like ACOS was supposed to be on I&W and Metropolis 2 on FII.

Both choruses share a melody (which is annoying and Circus Maximus has used this melody too) but the entire choruses aren't identical.