Author Topic: Opinions of When Dream and Day Unite  (Read 2881 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Opinions of When Dream and Day Unite
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
Afterlife took a little while to connect, but I think it is actually quite good, and is nowhere near the bottom.  Quick ranking:

1.  The Killing Hand:  stellar
2.  Light Fuse And Get Away:  Despite a couple of clunky transitions, the song is quite good.  Some clever wordplay.
3.  Only A Matter Of Time:  The song suffers from some problematic lyric writing where Moore simply tries to cram too much in.  Otherwise, pretty good song.
4.  A Fortune In Lies:  Also pretty good.
5.  Status Seeker:  Could have done well as a single if it had gotten out there.  A fine, accessible little tune.
6.  Ytse Jam:  Not bad.  I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either.
7.  Afterlife:  This is where there is a serious dropoff for me.  Don't care for it.  But it isn't quite the bottom.
8.  The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun:  Sorry, do not like.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
No, it isn't.

You need to really think about what you're saying...and then agree with me. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
Somewhat decent album with bad production.  Sounds more like a demo.  I rank it last but that's not to say it's terrible.  Some parts of it are actually pretty good. 
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
Great musical ideas, terrible transitions, bad vocals, bad production.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »
Great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »
Definitely one of my favorite albums of all times! Of course it's not "complex" as their following ones, but i really LOVE Dominici's voice and that kinda prog/aor sound.

My ranking would be:

1.  The Killing Hand
2.  A Fortune In Lies
3.  Status Seeker
4.  Only A Matter Of Time
5.  Ytse Jam
6.  Afterlife
7.  Light Fuse And Get Away
8.  The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun

I can understand why many DT fans don't appreciate this record, it totally different from their usual style (but it's more DT than ToT, IMHO)....the thing that i really can't understand it's how many people could like "When Dream And Day Reunite"...LaBrie is quite terrible on that live (btw he's great on live at the marquee and other gigs in those early years)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:01:26 AM by mirko_metal_88 »

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »
Charlie's a perfectly good singer but a bad fit for the band. The production is typical of Terry Date productions of that era - cheap and nasty. The songs are hit and miss.

It's a traditional debut album from young guys really: embryonic.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »
Interesting to see all the varied opinions on this album.  I'd definitely say it's my least favorite DT album overall.  As many others have said, the vocals and production leave something to be desired.  Some of the vocal melodies and lyrics make it tough to deliver though, that's just a sign of immaturity as song writers at that point. 

My favorite thing about this album is hearing those glimpses of greatness that hint to the next album the band creates.  You can hear them developing as players and writers and listening back to it now, you can hear they are on the verge of greatness with WDADU and they soon realize that greatness with I&W.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »
WDADU is great, and I wish JP and JM would go back to writing riffs like those.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
I absolutely love this album! I rank it as #4 in the discography. Some of Dream Theater's best moments are on this album.

This, except it's my #1 album. I've spoken time and time again about WDADU but I never get tired of sharing my connection. This album has a sense of atmosphere and a certain mood that nothing else has come close to. They use sounds and styles on that album that either completely went away with I&W, or were greatly reduced. I miss how JP used to sometimes track clean guitars with his riffs/solos to give it an extra inflection. I miss how Kevin Moore's dreamy, orchestral sounding patches would enhance the guitars and make everything sound so special. I could go on and on... but I won't because I have before ;)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
Still a top three album for me.  Unrivaled passion.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
I absolutely love this album! I rank it as #4 in the discography. Some of Dream Theater's best moments are on this album.

This, except it's my #1 album. I've spoken time and time again about WDADU but I never get tired of sharing my connection. This album has a sense of atmosphere and a certain mood that nothing else has come close to. They use sounds and styles on that album that either completely went away with I&W, or were greatly reduced. I miss how JP used to sometimes track clean guitars with his riffs/solos to give it an extra inflection. I miss how Kevin Moore's dreamy, orchestral sounding patches would enhance the guitars and make everything sound so special. I could go on and on... but I won't because I have before ;)

epic quote