Author Topic: Starting from Scratch Left-Handed Project  (Read 809 times)

Offline Manolito Mystiq

Starting from Scratch Left-Handed Project
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
I’m left-handed, but I’ve always played guitar right-handed. I started in 2000.

There were times that I felt I would be creating a handicap playing right-handed while I’m a lefty. One example that felt like a simile is playing a shooter like Star Fox Assault. My control is usually pretty good, but I struggled at some stages because my right hand couldn’t keep up repeatedly press the fire button. I’d only manage to complete the stage by mirroring the controls (or holding the control pad very cumbersome but so that I at least mirrored the controls).

There were many people encouraging me to just continue playing right-handed, since Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, and Michael Angelo Batio are also left-handed and playing right-handed and they’re doing ‘just’ fine.

Well, some time ago, I fooled around with my guitar and played left-handed . . . and I was amazed at how fast, steady, and strong my left hand could pick, that I never seem to be able to do picking with my right hand.

So last month (July 25th), I bought an extra classical guitar second-hand (though the owner hardly played on the thing), restrung it for a lefty, and practiced almost daily.

My picking hand has this scalpel-picking motion (kinda circular picking) and it’s a relief! Normally there is so much focus on the picking hand playing right-handed, that it’s so struggling to play; I have freedom when I play (as a lefty). I do need to strengthen my–now–fretting right hand.