Author Topic: Sonosphere 2014 Highlights to be on Sky Arts 1 HD Sat 23 Aug, 9:00pm (BST)  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
I'd love to see the full set of this performed. Looks/sounds great  :tup

Yeah, same here.  It would be nice if this showed up as an official bootleg or some bonus footage somewhere down the road.

Sure, me too.  But similar to Peruvian skies (High Voltage 2011) I don't think we'll see anything else.  Just because there were cameras there doesn't mean they were rolling the whole time.  And even if they were, who to say it didn't end up on the cutting room floor.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be mistaken and see move live DT . . . . (someone post and link and prove me wrong . . .  please :biggrin:)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds great - I just wish JP could find a way to add some more bottom end to those crunchy riffs .........he always sounds a bit "tinny" to me and that goes all the way back to the early days.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I'm the only one who finds JP's playing on the enemy inside solo kinda sloppy?
And not only in the solo now that I watch the video again.

Not to be cynical, but it's been a while where you get a DT video that has professional sound, but no retouching afterwards. I think that's the performance you actually see live.

And to this day, when I put on some mix at a BBQ and DT comes on, many times I hear the sentence "wtf are we listening to".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:40:45 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Not to be cynical, but it's been a while where you get a DT video that has professional sound, but no retouching afterwards. I think that's the performance you actually see live.

And to this day, when I put on some mix at a BBQ and DT comes on, many times I hear the sentence "wtf are we listening to".

I don't get that. They have nothing really out of the ordinary.

Offline XB0BX

Yeah.... I'd rather have this on DVD than Luna Park. And I love LP.

Offline Xenon

Of course it is, but anyway, there are lots of footage of Petrucci playing flawless. I just finded weird his sloppy playing in this, that's all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Oh and I still really dislike the shape of the Majesty guitar  :tdwn

I hated it at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. Especially the black one, although the one in this video looks pretty cool too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Xenon

I hated it at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. Especially the black one, although the one in this video looks pretty cool too.
Me too. At first find it horrible, but now I kinda like the dark ones. That one with the Mystic Dream like paint is beautiful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm with Blob on this one (what a fucking surprise, seriously)  hated when I first saw it too, but I'm actually liking the one in the vid here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, James sounds really damn impressive here, great to see.

Online mikeyd23

Really cool video  :metal

The entire band is sounding super tight here, especially James.

In regards to the JP solo, that's definitely a pretty sloppy version of that lead, I've heard much, much cleaner playing from him throughout the tour when playing that solo.  That being said, it seems like he does occasionally struggle with that particular solo, not sure why though.

Offline genome

I feel like JLB has been autotuned a little. I was there and the note at the end of TEI was not that perfectly in pitch!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I feel like JLB has been autotuned a little. I was there and the note at the end of TEI was not that perfectly in pitch!
You think that the Sonisphere people went to the trouble of autotuning this before airing?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline genome

Just going by what I remember his vocals being like when I saw it in the flesh. I could be completely wrong though.

Online mikeyd23

Huh, I certainly would not have thought that Sonisphere would have autotuned the performance. I usually assume for TV taped shows from festivals like this, they mix the audio and air it with little to no tweaking beyond the basic mix.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Not so awesome how when James tries to demonstrate it at first and his voice kind of cracks...poor guy. 

"When I hold the mic out to you, I wanna hear you go woooooooooo"

James sounds great in the rest of the video, though. :metal

Offline genome

I'd love to see the full set of this performed. Looks/sounds great  :tup

Yeah, same here.  It would be nice if this showed up as an official bootleg or some bonus footage somewhere down the road.

Sure, me too.  But similar to Peruvian skies (High Voltage 2011) I don't think we'll see anything else.  Just because there were cameras there doesn't mean they were rolling the whole time.  And even if they were, who to say it didn't end up on the cutting room floor.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be mistaken and see move live DT . . . . (someone post and link and prove me wrong . . .  please :biggrin:)

As far as I can remember the shots here were what was shown on the big screen, so there's a chance a full video could be lying around somewhere.

Offline Riitasointi

No. I was gonna say he was kinda sloppy all around in this one. In fact it seems he's getting more and more sloppy nowadays which is sad but expected I guess.
But, it is expected? I don't see how.
I mean, he's getting old  :P And I can't really rationalize this but I feel just doesn't strive for the perfect note for note performances these days.

But the clips sound very good still, I love the drums!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
That clown in the audience during the OTBOA intro creeps me out... :|
I didn't notice screwups in the solo, but in the part before the first verse where the rest of the band stops playing his chugging was a little off. Well, he's admitted that he makes plenty of mistakes live - he's only human! :D And to be fair, this was the second show of the second European leg, so he might've been a little rusty having not played live for two months.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Just going by what I remember his vocals being like when I saw it in the flesh. I could be completely wrong though.

My girlfriend, Kristy, was there with my sister in law. Kristy thought she'd record a little bit of the opening for me. Job done, she lowered her camera but failed to stop it recording. On playback, you can hear my sister in law exclaim, after the camera was lowered, "my god, does he always sound like that?! It's dreadful!" :lol

True story.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
His voice was definitely either overdubbed or tuned in two or three places. The last note of TEI was definitely tuned.

Really cool video! Maybe the audio would be great in good quality, but I don't like the video editing really because there are just WAY too many shots of the singer even during the instrumental parts. Not complaining, this is awesome to see this, just saying I would never take it over a DT DVD.

edit: actually there might have been some auto tune used throughout. Luckily not enough to screw with his vibrato though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:57:38 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline a8ac

Man what the hell is happening to LaBrie... Time is passing and he is just getting better.... I remember a festival in 2007 where I thought he would not last much longer... since he was just not sounding good..
But then I watched live at luna park... I was quite surpised... And now, with the Boston DVD, and this video...  :omg: LaBrie is back lml

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
His voice was definitely either overdubbed or tuned in two or three places. The last note of TEI was definitely tuned.

Why would it be overdubbed for this?  Do people really think Sonisphere contacted James and asked him to do some overdubs for their tv special, or would go out of their way to make sure the singer of DT sounds more 'in tune'.

Offline a8ac

Actually, now that I listen to it carefully im pretty sure it was slightly autotuned (at least in TEI)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wish they would screw with his vibrato  ;D   I'm surprised that the people who dislike Kiske doing it seem to have no issue with JLB.  The big difference I suppose is that JLB doesn't do it in the studio to any great degree , but live I find JLB's vibrato a lot more grating than Kiske's.

Having said that.........I agree that on the whole JLB is sounding great.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
If you don't like his vibrato, that's one thing, but JSYK when they screw with it, it makes it 100 times worse. That's what they did on CiM. His vibrato often ranges a half or sometimes even a whole step, so tuning it means that the pitch is snapping from say a C to a C#, back to a C, then again to C# rather than smoothly sliding between them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't seriously suggesting that they alter it - hence the  ;D   It's no big deal , but if I were to asked to be picky and make a call on something I don't like about his performance, then that would be it.

On the whole I think JLB is kicking ass.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
<wrong thread>
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online mikeyd23

Why would it be overdubbed for this?  Do people really think Sonisphere contacted James and asked him to do some overdubs for their tv special, or would go out of their way to make sure the singer of DT sounds more 'in tune'.

That's exactly what I was thinking... I would be incredibly surprised if any of this performance was overdubbed, it just wouldn't make any sense. They may have autotuned a few things here or there but even that would surprise me.  I'm under the impression that James just sounds real good here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

That's exactly what I was thinking... I would be incredibly surprised if any of this performance was overdubbed, it just wouldn't make any sense. They may have autotuned a few things here or there but even that would surprise me.  I'm under the impression that James just sounds real good here.

You wouldn't get that natural sounding audio if the original vocal wasn't good to being with. It sounds like they may have applied some subtle general correction to make the highlights sound a bit tighter, but the original vocal must have been good regardless.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
That's the best I've heard that song sound! Nice punchy and clear live mix, and of course the performances were all great as expected. Why couldn't LALP sound like that?

Not only that, but I for one also totally like seeing an outdoor video for once. Indoor videos have a good mood and all, but you often can't see people's faces all to well. This is really nice.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
^I agree^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

James is great and he DOMINATES the stage!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Madman Shepherd

Wait, so they would go back and autotune and edit his vocals but not the part where his voice cracks when he tries to demonstrate what he wants the audience to do thus making him awkwardly repeat the same thing? ???

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
"We only have 65 minutes, so... For Dream Theater that's two songs."  :lol

This is why I love JLB.

That made me chuckle quite a bit, actually.  :rollin