Author Topic: Sonosphere 2014 Highlights to be on Sky Arts 1 HD Sat 23 Aug, 9:00pm (BST)  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Curt

https://www.sky.com/tv/show/sonisphere-festival

Three evenings of highlights from the 2014 festival at Knebwoth sees Metallica, Iron Maiden, Deftones, Gary Numan, HIM, Alice in Chains, The Dropkick Murphys and Anthrax perform hits to 50,000 metal fans.

Iron Maiden kick starts the first of three shows from the Apollo Stage, with crowd-pleasing performances of Aces High and The Trooper before Gary Numan takes to the stage with Cars.

Following songs from Alice in Chains, Dream Theater and Airbourne, Metallica, whose Sonisphere set was chosen by a fan vote, round off the show with some riotous performances.

This should be interesting seeing DT on TV...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:47:36 AM by Curt »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
I suspect it'll probably be The Enemy Inside they'll show, but I can't wait.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Last time they showed Peruvian Skies, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a new song or single. Hopefully someone wollrecord this and upload it to Youtube!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
They played Pull Me Under at this right? Good chance it'll be that. Maybe The Looking Glass or Lie.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
If anyone missed it, they did On Backs Of Angels & The Enemy Inside on the Saturday highlights (James sounded badass on it) I haven't watched the Sunday highlights yet!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
It would be nice to get a video.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Xenon

Waiting for this too.

EDIT: Found it! Not the best quality, but it's ok. Enjoy! (28.30 stars DT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm3YqA_TDNg#t=1710
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:41:28 AM by Xenon »

Offline OpenYourEyes311

strange they cut off OtBoA, but there's a lot of JM shots, so that's really cool. But it seems it's at the expense of screen-time for JR. (at least that's how i felt half-watching it at work)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
That's the best I've heard that song sound! Nice punchy and clear live mix, and of course the performances were all great as expected. Why couldn't LALP sound like that?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gm5k

Waiting for this too.

Man they sound incredible  :hefdaddy

Why couldn't LALP sound like that?

It really is frustrating and kinda makes no sense.

Oh well at least we have this  :lol

Offline nikatapi

Wow, great video, the band sounds awesome and at last some punchy bass drum sound! Amazing!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
JP looks badass.

Makes me think of Lie.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Xenon

I'm the only one who finds JP's playing on the enemy inside solo kinda sloppy?
And not only in the solo now that I watch the video again.

Offline Riitasointi

No. I was gonna say he was kinda sloppy all around in this one. In fact it seems he's getting more and more sloppy nowadays which is sad but expected I guess.

Offline JRuless

Best live vid in years...
LABRIE!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Waiting for this too.

:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xenon

No. I was gonna say he was kinda sloppy all around in this one. In fact it seems he's getting more and more sloppy nowadays which is sad but expected I guess.
But, it is expected? I don't see how.

Offline Mladen

That was a great video.  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'd love to see the full set of this performed. Looks/sounds great  :tup
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah, same here.  It would be nice if this showed up as an official bootleg or some bonus footage somewhere down the road. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh and I still really dislike the shape of the Majesty guitar  :tdwn
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, same here.  It would be nice if this showed up as an official bootleg or some bonus footage somewhere down the road.

Ytsejam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Amazing sound and performance! Love the little changes JLB brought to the songs.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Oh and I still really dislike the shape of the Majesty guitar  :tdwn

What?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
It just seems.... fat.

Idk.

I love the older MM JPs and the JP  (12? When it got more metalish)

but I just don't like the new ones.

Sue me :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait... you're a lawyer.

Shit.

Anyhow... I too would kill to have this in some form of officially release. I love seeing DT perform in front of huge crowds. (The bootleg from Santiago(?) comes to mind.)

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if anyone else here watched Gary Numan, "Cars" before DT. That was cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wonder if anyone else here watched Gary Numan, "Cars" before DT. That was cool.
I actually read it as he was performing with "The Cars".  :facepalm:

I'll check it. Had that song on 45 when I was a kid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Me too.  same time as "M" with Pop Music. :lol

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
I did. Watched the whole thing. It said DT were on part 2 as well. But they weren't!  >:(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Some great shots of JM in that video.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Holy shit that sounds awesome with the crowd singing along. 

Not so awesome how when James tries to demonstrate it at first and his voice kind of cracks...poor guy. 

I think I can also hear JP's backing vocals more than the prerecorded stuff.  I'm using laptop speakers though so I dunno.  Anyone else hear it?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
"We only have 65 minutes, so... For Dream Theater that's two songs."  :lol

This is why I love JLB.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"