Author Topic: Best Location To Be In a DT Show  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Sebiriver

Best Location To Be In a DT Show
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
So i'm planning to go to a Dream Theater show for the first time but I would like to know where to be at the show, if you could feel more comfortable with the sound in an specific place such as in front of Petrucci, Myung, or LaBrie, or maybe at the back I don't really know but yeah, for those who have been already in a DT show you could post your opinion or whatever makes it better for you to hear the live sound. Thanks!  :metal

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Best Location To Be In a DT Show
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I think it sounds just fine being smack dab up front. They sound really good this tour. But it's being there, and seeing them up close that's even more awesome. Even as far back as, say, Row 5, I already feel like I'm way two far from the stage.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »
I've experienced seeing DT from the back of the crowd, from the front row in the very center (right against JLB), and also I saw them in sitted venue on ADTOE tour, and I can definitely say the front row was the best choice for me. The sound was loud to my taste, but seeing the guys really close makes up for it alright. Knowing all songs from the setlist also helped me a lot.

And if you're lucky enough, you may catch some picks JP throws around.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
I'm really cheap, so I always try to get the first row in the highest balcony. Really great view for a much more reasonable price.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
If you want perfect sound, get as close to the mixing booth as possible.

But honestly, front row dude......

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
26 DT shows (24 1st barrier-22 JP side) the best place IMO.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
It sounds like the obvious answer, but front row center is the best experience audio wise. It was for me anyway.  It does differ slightly depending on the arena and the speaker placement, but yeah.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »
For this tour - front row.
For ADTOE tour - 10th row as the stage and lighting looked WAAAY better at that distance.

AND -- don't forget your earplugs!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »
I always deliberately placed myself in the dead center relative to the stage-axys, I don't want any left-right unbalance in the sound. As for the distance from the stage, it's been between 7 and 20 meters, usually quite close to the soundboard, but never behind it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
I always deliberately placed myself in the dead center relative to the stage-axys, I don't want any left-right unbalance in the sound. As for the distance from the stage, it's been between 7 and 20 meters, usually quite close to the soundboard, but never behind it.

Both times I saw them, I basically stood right in front of the soundboard. If you want the best sound, that's the spot. If you're the kind of person who prefers to see it than hear it though, then you might want to get closer. I wouldn't get too close unless you can fight off the hoards though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Both times I saw them, the soundboard was backstage... I WISH I would've stood in front of it!  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
Every time I've seen them at the Warfeild in SF, it was right behind the soundboard, railing right in front of us, elevated two feet above the section in front. It's a near perfect spot as the guys here who were with me will attest to....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

Both times I saw them, I basically stood right in front of the soundboard. If you want the best sound, that's the spot. If you're the kind of person who prefers to see it than hear it though, then you might want to get closer. I wouldn't get too close unless you can fight off the hoards though.

Most venues here in the US are seated (super lame, no atmosphere) so getting closer to the band is more a question of money.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
And sometimes, there just isn't a good spot. Especially when they crank it up so loud that the speakers crap out, and the necessary earplugs make everything mush. Like happened for the Boston gig.
The best venue to see DT at in Boston is actually our outdoor venue at the harbor, because you have no booming (since there are no walls) and they're legally not allowed to crank it up because of the residential buildings. And, you can get a drink or a hotdog while still hearing and seeing the band.

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
Most venues here in the US are seated (super lame, no atmosphere) so getting closer to the band is more a question of money.

I don't see how seated venues equate to no atmosphere. Frankly, I much prefer a seated venue, because it means I don't have to show up an hour and a half early just to get a good spot, and if I want to go to the bathroom or to get a drink in the middle of the show, I'm not going to end up in the nosebleed section as a result.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »
I don't know. I think it depends a lot on the type of show. Some stuff works as sitting down (though in most cases, if it's not classical music, I still prefer standing), but some stuff just doesn't work out at all - for example, the Trivium show that I was at two years ago, it would have been terrible sitting down.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
Ask any artist, and they will tell you the difference between seated and GA. There's something in the software world called SCRUM, and it actually *requires* people to stand during the meetings. One reason being, the moment people sit down people get lethargic (and thus drawing out the meeting)

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
The seated venue where you go to see Dream Theater, are you telling me that people are actually sitting?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
Half of the people at any given time, yeah.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
When I saw DT everyone was sitting. I had to sit too because otherwise I'd block the view of the people behind me. It definitely affected the energy level and was a huge difference from other metal concerts I've been to.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
When I saw DT everyone was sitting. I had to sit too because otherwise I'd block the view of the people behind me. It definitely affected the energy level and was a huge difference from other metal concerts I've been to.

That's the point though. If you're up front, you stand up. If people behind you can't see, then they'll stand up too, and so on and so forth, and that's how you get people to stand.

And yes, I'm sure there are some people who will sit, either because they get tired easily and it's physically painful for them to keep standing, or because they're not enthusiastic, for whatever reason. And if they're not enthusiastic, then it doesn't matter if they're sitting or standing, they'll be bringing the energy down anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »

Forgot about that! I'm thinking of the venues DT has played here (and will play), that are predominantly just floor space for standing. I'm not sure I've been to a show with seated floor, maybe one, so I don't think of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:20 AM »
I saw them in Atlanta at the Tabernacle on the last tour.The Tabernacle is a very small intimate venue,and the floor is General Admission,no seats just standing.There are seats above in the Balcony.But,there really is not a bad seat in the house,and the acoustics are fantastic.Anyway,I stood in front of JP close enough that I could have grabbed his leg,and the overall sound,mix,acoustics were spot on.Best DT show I've ever been to!