Poll

JP and MM for KM and MP

Yes
48 (23.9%)
No
153 (76.1%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Would you trade Rudess and Mangini to have Moore and Portnoy back?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: Would you trade Rudess and Mangini to have Moore and Portnoy back?
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »
hahahaha Fix'd. you got me there :rollin

Offline ronrule

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
I don't agree with the point that Kevin wouldn't fit with DT musically any more. The guy still writes heavy, interesting, and somewhat progressive music. His flavor of those musical influences could really add to what DT has been doing, and most importantly, he's another completely capable full-song writer. The songwriting and melodic choices could really use some variety after ADTOE and DT12, in my opinion.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
JP for KM = NOPE.
yes JP for KM would leave a bit of a hole  ;D
Well, Kevin does play guitar ;)

Nope... KM was so adamant about voting NO himself that he had a t-shirt made.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
I don't agree with the point that Kevin wouldn't fit with DT musically any more. The guy still writes heavy, interesting, and somewhat progressive music. His flavor of those musical influences could really add to what DT has been doing, and most importantly, he's another completely capable full-song writer. The songwriting and melodic choices could really use some variety after ADTOE and DT12, in my opinion.
I don't know how big on collaboration he would be at this point, although I would love to hear what present-day KM could come up with alongside JP again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »
Hmm, ya know, if Jim Matheos is at least equal with JP as a songwriter, you have to wonder whether OSI would give DT a run for their money if it weren't for Kevin Moore's monotone vocals. If DT reunited with Moore and Portnoy and it wound up sounded like a more melodic OSI, I could really dig it.

Though Dream Theater was a much better album than whatever the new OSI was called - completely forgettable.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
Fire Make Thunder was amazing, and besides, it's a totally different kind of thing than what DT's doing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
Fire Make Thunder was amazing, and besides, it's a totally different kind of thing than what DT's doing.
This. Yea, he still writes heavy music with a progressive edge, but it's still completely different to what DT does. There's no way that any of the DT albums are even remotely similar to what Kevin has done with OSI or any of his other projects, with the obvious exception of Fates Warning.

Also, Kevin's voice fits OSI perfectly.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Yes, i absolutely do!

Rudess is surely more technical but i really LOVED Moore's keyboard, his taste for melody, his sound, his lyrics...and how he was able to stay "behind" in some part of their early songs, he wasn't soloing for the 99.9% of the songs as JR does.

And about MP and MM, well, it's not a secret that i don't like MM sound and musical taste...MP was the heart of this band.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
Hmm, ya know, if Jim Matheos is at least equal with JP as a songwriter, you have to wonder whether OSI would give DT a run for their money if it weren't for Kevin Moore's monotone vocals. If DT reunited with Moore and Portnoy and it wound up sounded like a more melodic OSI, I could really dig it.

Though Dream Theater was a much better album than whatever the new OSI was called - completely forgettable.

I always thought the first OSI album sounded more like DT than anything else KM has made. Dunno if that's cause MP was more involved with those sessions than the second time or if it's a coincidence but the compositions always felt like they had more of that progressive metal edge on the first album. I think OSI has been getting a bit more electronic/experimental (which is a very KM kinda thing to do in fairness).

Anyway, mainly quoting for vocal comment. I don't even mind KMs vocals, but I do think they get a bit boring sometimes. I don't mean it as an insult because sometimes that kind of talking/singing style works perfectly for some of the music he makes. But some of the songs call for a bit more... Singing... Like that one song on the third album where that guy from that other band sings (excuse my ignorance I can't remember for the life of me, it was either Porcupine Tree or Opeth dude  :lol). But the proper singing makes it one of the best songs on the album IMO. And if KM got in professional vocalists more often I think OSI could be so much more. Also, I never really got into the latest OSI album but in all fairness I've only heard it like once or twice, I thought Blood (third album) was a lot more memorable though.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
Meh however I think the leftovers should collect their asses together and form a pre-current DT band that tours the world and play DT song current DT never do.

Line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Drums
Charlie Dominici - Vocals
Derek Sherinian - Keytar
Kevin Moore - Keyboard
Chris Collins - Bass and back vocals/poetry/rap

Alternative line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Vocals
Charlie Dominici - Keyboard
Derek Sherinian - Synthbass
Kevin Moore - Drum Loops
Chris Collins - Guitar

Ultimate prog line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Drums, vocals, bass and guitar
Charlie Dominici - Vocals, guitar, harmonica and keyboard
Derek Sherinian - Keyboard and guitar
Kevin Moore - Keyboards, vocals and bass
Chris Collins - Guitar and vocals

I see potential in this.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:28:26 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 02:45:36 AM »
Potential lols maybe. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »
I really have no desire to hear anything with Charlie Dominici on it, lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »
To be fair, he sounds a lot better on his more recent solo albums than he did on WDADU. WDADU didn't have well written vocal melodies that were very singable, and the range didn't fit his voice at all. Amateur songwriting plus a vocalist trying to be something he's not was not a good combo.
That said, he still wouldn't be high up my list of vocalists for any potential DT related project. Having a standout vocalist is important imo.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:35 AM »
To be fair, he sounds a lot better on his more recent solo albums than he did on WDADU. WDADU didn't have well written vocal melodies that were very singable, and the range didn't fit his voice at all. Amateur songwriting plus a vocalist trying to be something he's not was not a good combo.
That said, he still wouldn't be high up my list of vocalists for any potential DT related project. Having a standout vocalist is important imo.

Not to mention that whatever he's doing now is his own project, so he'll obviously work with a comfortable range, and not try to push himself to heights he's incapable of.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
Not to mention that he's batshit crazy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
I would have Moore back, because he made everything sound great, without having 7000000 different things, wotsits and hubaloos on stage. I wouldn't have Portnoy back though, because Mangini is a better drummer and a better person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:30 AM »

Well yeah, there's that too, if you want to get technical. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
Hmm, ya know, if Jim Matheos is at least equal with JP as a songwriter
He is! ;)
you have to wonder whether OSI would give DT a run for their money if it weren't for Kevin Moore's monotone vocals. If DT reunited with Moore and Portnoy and it wound up sounded like a more melodic OSI, I could really dig it.
Kevin's vocals are perfect for OSI's style IMO - a singer like JLB would be totally out of place on songs like Wind Won't Howl and For Nothing.

I don't know if you've heard Fates Warning, but you should give them a try. Disconnected is musically similar to the first OSI album and even features KM on keys. Their new album doesn't include any keys, but a lot of the riffs are OSIish and one song has lyrics written by Kevin. Ray Alder sings on both records and his vocals are more melodic and high-pitched than Kevin's.
I think the heaviness in OSI comes mainly from Jim, while Kevin comes up with a lot of the more spacey and Chroma Keyish ideas. The reason I don't think Kevin would fit in modern DT is that his songwriting relies on atmosphere, whereas DT have always been about technicality - they've gone in opposite directions. A mesh of their styles would be interesting, but I'm not sure either side would be willing to compromise that much. On top of that, KM isn't really a team player: one of the reasons he left DT and hasn't joined any full-time band since his departure is that he prefers to work alone. Of course he's collaborating with Jim in OSI, but that's just a duo and they have a good songwriting chemistry.
I always thought the first OSI album sounded more like DT than anything else KM has made. Dunno if that's cause MP was more involved with those sessions than the second time or if it's a coincidence but the compositions always felt like they had more of that progressive metal edge on the first album. I think OSI has been getting a bit more electronic/experimental (which is a very KM kinda thing to do in fairness).
Well, Jim started writing for the first OSI album before Kevin joined, and at first the songs were much longer and closer to standard prog metal, but once Kevin came in he started chopping the songs up, adding spoken word samples and electronics etc. On all the later albums he's been involved right from the start, so his influence on the material has been stronger, which has led to a more electronic sound.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

Well yeah, there's that too, if you want to get technical. :lol
Well, it's my # 1 criteria when deciding whether or not to work with someone.  So he definitely fails.

While I don't think KM is crazy, he definitely seems like he wouldn't necessarily work well with others.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »
I voted No....  the ONLY thing I miss from MP, is his...groove?  Sometimes MM is a bit mechanical to me and lacks that groove factor.  Not sure how to explain it but, that would be the only thing I miss about MP.  As far as KM over JR?  No....

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Why even address this?  It is what it is.

I will enjoy the music they put out today and not dwell in the past.

/thread.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
It would definitely be interesting to listen to the product of an album with the current line-up, except KM and not JR, but that's just for hypothetical enjoyment. I adore JR and would never trade him for KM. And I'd never change MM for MP, either. So my vote went with no. By the way, why does the poll say JP?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
DT's going to phase out guitar in favor of a dual-keyboardist approach.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Only reason why I could see someone answering "yes" is pure nostalgia. Too bad it would be at the expense of the music and thank God this will never happen.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2014, 11:35:55 PM »
Rudess is surely more technical but i really LOVED Moore's keyboard, his taste for melody, his sound, his lyrics...and how he was able to stay "behind" in some part of their early songs, he wasn't soloing for the 99.9% of the songs as JR does.

See, this complaint which gets thrown out a lot, I don't get. Listen to Illumination Theory, as just one example. Tell me how you can say with a straight face that JR does not know when to take a back seat in that song and was soloing a lot of the time. Actually, tell me one song in DT12 where JR was going batshit crazy in a soloing spree in almost the whole song.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:28 AM »
No.  Moore has no interest in Dream Theater's brand of prog metal, and he would never rejoin in any event, while Portnoy pretty much burnt himself out on meaningful ideas for DT, and in his later years with the band his control freakishness was pushing them into modern metal musical territory for which they were ill suited while simultaneously holding back their more melodic side.  Each, in their own way, grew beyond what they could contribute to Dream Theater, and while I appreciate their legacy with the band, I feel their time in DT was ultimately fated to be limited.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »
I would probably say yes. I look at DT as a band who has gotten a bit too comfortable and stuck in their zone. I think bringing Kevin Moore back (moreso than Mike Portnoy) would lead to a shift in dynamics, and the band might write something very different for their next album. It's not like I consider Kevin Moore to be a more technical or better player than Jordan, it's just that the shift in dynamics could result in something cool for an album.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
Meh however I think the leftovers should collect their asses together and form a pre-current DT band that tours the world and play DT song current DT never do.

Line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Drums
Charlie Dominici - Vocals
Derek Sherinian - Keytar
Kevin Moore - Keyboard
Chris Collins - Bass and back vocals/poetry/rap

Alternative line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Vocals
Charlie Dominici - Keyboard
Derek Sherinian - Synthbass
Kevin Moore - Drum Loops
Chris Collins - Guitar

Ultimate prog line-up:
Mike Portnoy - Drums, vocals, bass and guitar
Charlie Dominici - Vocals, guitar, harmonica and keyboard
Derek Sherinian - Keyboard and guitar
Kevin Moore - Keyboards, vocals and bass
Chris Collins - Guitar and vocals

I see potential in this.
Yes. They would get the sole rights to Metropolis Part 2 and then have a cage match on the stage after being together for about 5 minutes. Such an event would be entertainment second only to DT themselves.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 10:59:03 PM »
I'd trade everyone aside from JP for MP to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
Think I would like Kevin Moore back but not Mike portnoy.  Kevin's playing was so atmospheric and emotional. Almost eerie in a beautiful way. I like Jordan but on so many of their epic songs it just seems like he is showing off his talent. I know he is a great musician...no doubt. But sometimes its over the top. Mike is also awesome....just amazing but I didn't like where the band was headed during the SC and BCSL years. I have loved the direction the band took on ADTOE and DT.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
Think I would like Kevin Moore back but not Mike portnoy.  Kevin's playing was so atmospheric and emotional. Almost eerie in a beautiful way. I like Jordan but on so many of their epic songs it just seems like he is showing off his talent. I know he is a great musician...no doubt. But sometimes its over the top. Mike is also awesome....just amazing but I didn't like where the band was headed during the SC and BCSL years. I have loved the direction the band took on ADTOE and DT.
I agree in every way.

Offline JPX

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
I'd trade everyone aside from JP for MP to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal

This man. I'm a big Jordan fan, but I'd take the hit to get MP back.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »
Nope. Rudess and Mangini FTW!

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
For Moore and Portnoy?  Probably not.  Moore doesn't have much interest in rock or metal anymore, does he?

For Portnoy and Sherinian?  In a heartbeat.  Even though I love Jordan's playing, I think Derek is a tremendous player and I feel that he deserved a longer stint in the band.  Heck, just have Jordan and Derek in the band with Portnoy on drums, like on WDADR; no need to replace Jordan at all.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »
No, but I'd trade MM for Peart.
I am a die hard Rush fan who has seen the band over 40 times but Neil Peart just couldn't play some of the stuff DT plays with MM.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi